Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

Good thing I ordered a four bulb box from the 'zon . . . . . . . . two of four were dead out of the box! Amazon has refunded entire order. Turns out replacing them was not a huge deal. I got a little brighter (60W equiv instead of 40W) and a daylight 5000K white. Like the look much better. Will have to change the two bulbs over the main table to daylight instead of the warm.

Took some time to run trains today - - most enjoyable.

I have been thinking about getting a ZL1 1LE Camaro in the near future as well.....I used to have a 1969 SS Camaro and I miss it but this Vette kills it lol.
I was midlife crisis car shopping last year and really wanted the badboy Camaro. Chevy guy for life. Went to the dealer and slid my 6'3' 300# ass into the seat and closed the door. Salesman looked at me funny when I opened the door back up and crawled out of it right away. I actually felt trapped in that thing.
Took my happy ass next door to the ,,,,AHEM,,,, Dodge dealer,,,,,,hangs head in shame,,,,, and plopped my ass in a leftover 20 Scat Pack Challenger with a bunch of upgrade factory stuff. She's a big girl but is a ton of fun,,,,,,and I fit!!!

Attachments

• I'm a child.jpg
    I'm a child.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 53
I was midlife crisis car shopping last year and really wanted the badboy Camaro. Chevy guy for life. Went to the dealer and slid my 6'3' 300# ass into the seat and closed the door. Salesman looked at me funny when I opened the door back up and crawled out of it right away. I actually felt trapped in that thing.
Took my happy ass next door to the ,,,,AHEM,,,, Dodge dealer,,,,,,hangs head in shame,,,,, and plopped my ass in a leftover 20 Scat Pack Challenger with a bunch of upgrade factory stuff. She's a big girl but is a ton of fun,,,,,,and I fit!!!
I'm 6'2 275lbs and I felt the same way. My wife wanted to test drive one, so I went along. I didn't fit. It was the most uncomfortable ride I have ever had, almost claustrophobic...

TomO: Your hobby is turning into a business venture. Deadlines can turn into nightmares if you allow them to interfere with your enjoyment of the hobby and your other interests.

I would suggest doing 50 or so cars for your friend and then see what happens down the road. Set no timeline, but collect $$$ in advance for the cars.

Greg
Yeah I spent quite a bit of my afternoon thinking on this and then realized this is nuts. It’s the timeline thing that bothers me. I enjoy the weathering part but not say even 50 cars in 4 weeks. I did leave a message for the friend to call me. I previously did 10 cars for a NE Wisconsin club but the timeline was 4 weeks that I completed in 2.5 weeks. Deadlines were fine in my business life but I am mostly retired.

I could but will not speed up the process by using the airbrush. All my sold weathering so far has been by brush for acrylics and foam sponge for pan pastels. It has been a good mental exercise for this past afternoon.

Yeah I spent quite a bit of my afternoon thinking on this and then realized this is nuts. It’s the timeline thing that bothers me. I enjoy the weathering part but not say even 50 cars in 4 weeks. I did leave a message for the friend to call me. I previously did 10 cars for a NE Wisconsin club but the timeline was 4 weeks that I completed in 2.5 weeks. Deadlines were fine in my business life but I am mostly retired.

I could but will not speed up the process by using the airbrush. All my sold weathering so far has been by brush for acrylics and foam sponge for pan pastels. It has been a good mental exercise for this past afternoon.
Tell 'em you'll give a class for Pizza & beer/whiskey money. They can do their own after that.

Good Evening!

In my life, there has been many occasions when I've wanted to climb that looong flight of stairs up to the top of the mountain, and ask that old Chinese guy a question.
Now, another question comes up. Why?, Why?, is the town replacing the perfectly good, old neighborhood sidewalk with a new sidewalk. The new one is the same as the old; just new. The old one it's replacing was poured in 69, and was in very good shape.
No one asked us if we wanted a new sidewalk. I've shovelled so much snow off the old one, that I was kinda emotionally attached to it. The locals seem to believe it's just another senseless reason to raise taxes. If they decide to gang up and head on down to the town hall with pitch-forks and torches, I'll be wanting to go with them.
Just in case, I've taken a series of photos of the noise outside:
InlandWtCrt_06-13-2022.JPG

InlandWtCrt_06-16-2022.JPG

Just thought I'd drop in because it's raining again, and I'm not tired, and I don't feel like modelling just now.

Have a good one!

Good morning all!
61F in Libby
79F in Syracuse NY and dark.
Everyone seemed to be interested in my blowout, thanks for the comments.
No, did not clean up anything. I70 is 3 lanes wide where bang happened and I ain't gonna even try. I looked and there were only small pieces of rubber no big 'gator, all of the steel belt was still on what was left of the tire. The blast did take out some cosmetic stuff, mostly plastic for the ground effect package. The chain carrier top is now bright and shiny from the steel belt hitting it and ya can not open it to get chains out. Lots of power spinning steel at 65Mph!
Speaking of scaring the crap outa ya... Guy in the little car to my right did a pretty good swerve but got straightened back out without rubbing something. Which brings up:
Never, NEVER ever travel next to a big truck for any amount of time. Get by it and go on with your business!
Oh, and the little guy went past me on the right before I had a chance to get to the shoulder... didn't see any marking on his car. He wasn't smiling either..
No, blowing a drive does not wiggle the steering, although a rear tire on the trailer while going around a curve does. Don't ask me how I know. Funny thing is we check our tires ( and the rest of the truck for that matter ) multiple times a day. Dang recaps have a mind of their own.

Good morning all!
61F in Libby
79F in Syracuse NY and dark.
Everyone seemed to be interested in my blowout, thanks for the comments.
No, did not clean up anything. I70 is 3 lanes wide where bang happened and I ain't gonna even try. I looked and there were only small pieces of rubber no big 'gator, all of the steel belt was still on what was left of the tire. The blast did take out some cosmetic stuff, mostly plastic for the ground effect package. The chain carrier top is now bright and shiny from the steel belt hitting it and ya can not open it to get chains out. Lots of power spinning steel at 65Mph!
Speaking of scaring the crap outa ya... Guy in the little car to my right did a pretty good swerve but got straightened back out without rubbing something. Which brings up:
Never, NEVER ever travel next to a big truck for any amount of time. Get by it and go on with your business!
Oh, and the little guy went past me on the right before I had a chance to get to the shoulder... didn't see any marking on his car. He wasn't smiling either..
No, blowing a drive does not wiggle the steering, although a rear tire on the trailer while going around a curve does. Don't ask me how I know. Funny thing is we check our tires ( and the rest of the truck for that matter ) multiple times a day. Dang recaps have a mind of their own.
Yeah, no fun when that happens, had my fair share of blowouts over the 45 years I've been driving heavy vehicles, punctures are fickle things, quite possible, having a recap was not the problem, usually the recap will separate from the belt, you were lucky the blowout didn't take out the other tyre as well, that would have really ruined your day.

Yeah, no fun when that happens, had my fair share of blowouts over the 45 years I've been driving heavy vehicles, punctures are fickle things, quite possible, having a recap was not the problem, usually the recap will separate from the belt, you were lucky the blowout didn't take out the other tyre as well, that would have really ruined your day.
Ya, talked with the tire guy and we checked out the carcass. He didn't think it was a puncture. I only had 30KLbs in the box so it would not have been a problem if the tire's mate went also as there is another set of tandem's right behind and would hold stuff up long enough to get to the side of the road. Now if it was a day cab and 2 tires were lost, that is a whole new ballgame.

Ya, talked with the tire guy and we checked out the carcass. He didn't think it was a puncture. I only had 30KLbs in the box so it would not have been a problem if the tire's mate went also as there is another set of tandem's right behind and would hold stuff up long enough to get to the side of the road. Now if it was a day cab and 2 tires were lost, that is a whole new ballgame.
We have what we call super sixes (trailer only) 3 axles 6 tyres had a recap go on one at night, didn't blow, but I have no idea when it went, or how far I'd travelled, only saw it when I stopped for coffee.

Until recently most of the Horse units (that's the bit with driver) only had single rear axles, had a double blow out in Germany at 60mph tipped the lot over, blocked the Autobahn (freeway) for most of the day.
Ah! I miss the good old days.

Guy, I know around us they have been replacing the walks at the intersections and making them wheelchair friendly. Some replace the bad sections also. I'm wondering if they are making them wider too. It could be something that was passed in the government for making sidewalks more wheelchair friendly. Did you ask them, after all it is your tax dollars.

Good morning all! 80 on the way to 89 with a chance of thunderstorms this morning. Would really be nice to get some rain. It appears the worst of the current heatwave is behind us.

Have to go out to the range this morning and do my yearly qualification for my retired officers concealed carry permit. I like to have the permit even though I rarely actually carry my sidearm. Just good to know I can if I want to. I'm not allowed to carry at my current job. I could most everyplace else but just don't usually do it.

Ready to get today done and be off for a three-day weekend. Been an exhausting week so I'm ready for a few days off. Hope you all have a great day!

I'm 6'2 275lbs and I felt the same way. My wife wanted to test drive one, so I went along. I didn't fit. It was the most uncomfortable ride I have ever had, almost claustrophobic...

At 6'2, 225 lbs working for a Chevy dealer I'm in and out of them all day, this is why I drive a pickup!

2023 is the last year for the Camaro,(thank God) and the Vette is going Hybrid soon and all electric eventually. Pretty soon the loudest thing we will be driving will be our lawn mowers.

Good Morning All. A pleasantly cool 71° with hazy skies out there this morning. This Saharan dust storm is not only producing hazy conditions and interesting sunsets, but is making breathing a bit more difficult. I'm not sure when it will pass. It's a normal phenomenon this time of year, but this current one seems to be heavier than normal. Being an optimist, it does leave phosphorus and iron behind in the dust to fertilize the ground. I am sure that Curt and Hughie are affected, but I don't know how widespread across the rest of the country it is. Only chance of any upcoming rain is a 15% chance Saturday evening.

I have been posting about the hotter than average temperatures in the last month playing havoc with some of the vegetable crops in my garden, specifically spinach, lettuce and broccoli, well it looks like a new record was set this year with 20 days of above 90° during May. This has also affected the pollination of my green beans, lots of flowers that just fall off and don't produce a bean. Will this year be like 1980 when every day in July was 100° or over? It actually ran from June 23 until August 3! Or 2011 when we had 40 days in a row from July 2 until August 10?

Busy day yesterday with the grocery trek, clothes shopping and several other errands. Post office was a bust as their internet was down and they could not accept the barcode for a return package. We could have gone to another post office in a different town, but we had to get the groceries home and into the fridge/freezer. The cooler with it's ice pack can only do so much good! Eye candy was amazing yesterday. Shopping for the clothes was a bummer, but it's over. What a waste of time (and money) for something that I will only wear once.

Thanks for all of the comments and reactions to Dottie's pictures yesterday; Patrick, Karl, Joe, Guy, Tom O, James, Sherrel, Chad, Dave B, Louis, Hughie, Steve J, Mikey, Jeff, Jaz, Gary, Smudge, Tom, OB Ken.

With all of the activity earlier in the day including picking a bunch of tomatoes, I didn't really have much time out in the train shed. When I did get there, the battery in the camera needed charging. About all that I did layout-wise was to give Dottie a place to lay out in the sun.
IMG_1113.JPG

There she is working on her tan while her hubby plants a tree. This may be temporary until I get a pool for her to float in. That may or may no be in the future.

James - A little late, but nice fishes you caught here in Texas. Great looking car as well. Where do you have to go to hit 156 mph?
Ken (D&J) - For some reason, I just don't believe that we will see the pictures.;)
Dave B - Sorry to read of your wife's vaccine issue. I hope that it isn't permanent. SIRVA usually heals itself, but not always.
Difference between a string bikini and a thong bikini is thongs usually have a small triangle at the waistband connection. Not a lot of difference.
Both are sweet to the eyes on the right ladies.
Troy - Good news finally.
Jaz -
What..no painted toe nails?
I have no experience painting toenails...or fingernails for that matter.
Omg now I do too…..oi Willie have you a photo with some goggles…giggles…
Well, you asked.
IMG_1112.JPG

Note that I do have clothes on...at least a shirt.
Tom O - That is a nice ego boost regarding all of the club guys wanting you to weather their cars. Think it through like you are doing. I could spend eight hours a day in the train shed if I wanted, but then it would be like having a job all over again. I retired from that life!!!
Patrick - While I can still get into and out of my Honda Civic, and thus a Corvette or Camaro, and I can now afford either; I would have to build a garage to keep it in. My wife wouldn't be able to get into either of them. Knees!
Guy - I am sure that the Inland Cement owner has a relative in city government.

OK, it's Friday. Get ready for the weekend if that applies to you. Y'all have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back