Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon, each and everyone! Same old song, "baby it's Hot outside"
Today the wife and I, along with the dog went for a ride down to Galveston with the goal of seeing the USCGC Eagle. It's a 295 ft. sailing ship, used by the Coast Guard as a training vessel.
1655152402971.png

But as luck would have it, she was moored mostly out of sight. You could see her masts, and a very little of the stern.
So on the way back out of town we drove along Harborside Drive, a road that parallels the piers. At 37th St. we came across maybe 100 to 120 locomotives. Not sure why they are there, maybe phasing out of service.

1655152875211.jpeg

1655152906148.jpeg

1655152939637.jpeg

They are stored on both sides of 37th St.
Unfortunately, there was no real good place to park and really look around. These were taken pulled over with flashers on, and quickly.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Bass Pro and Cabela's merger a few years back. Seen one you've now seen the other...LOL

Wichita tried for years to get a Bass Pro shop and ended up with a Cabela's. Then a year or so later the 2 merged, and now most of what's at the Cabela's is the same as Bass Por. Not that that's bad, just different.

Currently 100° with a feels like of 102°.

Today the wife and I, along with the dog went for a ride down to Galveston with the goal of seeing the USCGC Eagle. It's a 295 ft. sailing ship, used by the Coast Guard as a training vessel.

That is a cool ship. Most people don't realize it started life as a Nazi training ship, the "Horst Wessel". Horst Wessel was an SA (Brownshirt) martyr. After the war she was requisitioned by the US and converted to the USCG training ship Eagle.

Hughie and Chad: Back in time to around 1998, Wife and kids, plus co-worker, his wife and kids drove over to Liberty State Park, (Former CNJ Yards), in Jersey City, to watch the parade of ships up the Hudson. Among the ships in the sail-by, was the USCG Eagle. After everything passed by, we drove through the Holland Tunnel to South St. Seaport, where we had the opportunity of watching the Eagle dock. It Was a sheer pleasure, watching The Master Chief, directing the cadets during the operation. The advantage of viewing this from the upper level, was a clear view of the deck from above. Unfortunately, the Eagle wasn't open for tour until the following day. Very cool ship. Sub plot, while enroute from the Tunnel to South St Seaport, we got caught up in heavy traffic on Canal St. As luck would have it, there was a fire in the vicinity, and the Local Truck Company was weaving through traffic to get to the fire location. The work of the Chauffeur and Tiller Man was a work of art, best I ever saw. Made my day.

Stephen Strasburg is back on the Injured List....that didn't last long, did it? I totally blame the Washington Nationals for they way they developed this guy, sheltering him like they did.

Went to the Cardiologist, reviewed last weeks tests, had EKG... Good to go, at least until December. ;)

Hello Gang!

I am back from Texas! I will be posting up some pics from the trip and posting a few goodies that came this month and last month while I was traveling around to Alabama and Texas.

Texas was hot but bearable in the mornings. It did have some really hot afternoons and some records fell. I believe Willie mentioned that too.

I did some visiting in and around Haslet TX and downtown Fort Worth. Places I hit and things I did from Thursday to Sunday.....

In and Out Burger (I always wanted to try it and I liked it and bought a cool T-shirt from here)

Saw Top Gun Maverick with my buddy. Interesting story here. My buddy and I saw the original for the first time in 1986 when it came out so this was a cool way to celebrate our reunion. He served in the Navy 25 years on various aircraft carriers including the USS Lexington that was later decommissioned and now works for Lockheed Martin Aeronautics. Seeing the movie, this was a planned thing we wanted to do.

We went to Cattle Men's Steak House http://cattlemenssteakhouse.com/ A good friend of mine who lived in Texas for 20 plus years told me about the place so I had to go. I met the owner of the establishment. She and her husband bought it from the original owners in 1994. Anyways the PBR (Professional Bull Riders assoc.) guys were there I got introduced to a few of them. Really cool. I also learned they filmed some of the 1883 tv show that is a spin off for Yellowstone, 1883 was filmed there and they showed me that area as well which was awesome. they explained to me how they did it and man it was a long azz process! A lot of work but they did it! I got a T-shirt from here too! One thing for sure, there was a lot of "eye candy" for this single man to see. Hubba hubba! It wasn't enough to make me move to Texas just yet lol.....but close!

I went to BNSF intermodal yard in Haslet took some pictures which I will share later tonight. I did get a few UP train pictures as well. Nice facility there. Literally a stone throw away from my buddy's place.

Went to both the Bass Pro shops in Garland TX on Lake Ray Hubbard and then we did go to Cabela's too in Fort Worth.

We fished Lake Fork on Saturday with a professional guide provided by Billy Lawson https://www.yourlakeforkguide.com/
We did not unfortunately get to have Billy but we got another dude and he was pretty good. I rated him a 7 out of 10. I am pretty critical and take my time on the water very serious. Many of you know I fish a lot and travel a lot and I have used guides in the past and most time I don't use them if I know the water. This was my 1st time on Lake Fork and I didn't travel with my boat either this time soooooo there's that. We did get a few bass but no double digits that I was after. :confused: The lake was drawn down by 15 foot due to repairs to the dam and other items. That in itself created unusual patterns for the fish. Will post pics a later tonight.

Went to Whataburgers for breakfast lol that was neat. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Tallahassee Fl. lol

Spent the rest of the time chilling with my Navy buddy and his family. All in all a great short stay in Haslet, Texas. Will go again, maybe next year. I have to many other trips lined up for the rest of this year so yup I'm booked out for this year.

It is good to be back in the Adirondacks of upstate NY. Cooler weather. I will get back to this later ya'll have a good afternoon!
Did you happen to make it to the FW Stockyards? Best steak I ever had was in the Stockyards hotel/bar/restaurant.

Good afternoon Everyone...........cloudy and the forecasted rain is just starting to fall. Tomorrow the temps should be in the mi-90's then cool slightly the next day. Turtles can live for a hundred years or more in the right location. I've see basket sized snapper turtles walking across roadways on warm days. When I was young and when swimming in a muddy beach I accidentally stepped on a large snapper. I was lucky no to lose a toe or two that day. To this day, I will not swim in a pond or lake if it has any turtles.

Been busy watching the stock markets fall and losing money in full baskets. I know the stocks will come back in due time, but how much time will it take for the markets to recover? This was one heck of a market correction.

Anyone out that can recommend a good cab ride or two videos? I've seen the Colorado Museum videos shot in Greenly, Co.

MD's again tomorrow.

Willie:
That's a nice crop of tomatoes in your garden plot. We didn't plant any this year.

This weekend I plan on driving up to the Train Show at Strawberry Fest in Waupaca, Wisconsin. Going to meet some relatives at the snack corner at the show to catch up on the past three years. I do not need anything in general, but maybe some gondola loads or flat car equipment. Perhaps a car or two??? NO ENGINES!

View attachment 147186
This is the industrial area of the Saxeville Interchange. The plastic Walters background buildings will be replaced with wooden structures that I feel are more realistic. I still need to install background photos behind the buildings. The tracks yet are to be ballasted in the interchange area. It is a high area of the layout and maybe a bit difficult to reach to do the ballasting. The ballasting should have been done earlier in the modeling process-Greg

View attachment 147187
Following the lead of TomO, the plastic logs on the pulpwood cars will be replaced with wood cut from spruce branches form trees near our cabin. I stocked up on these cars at one year's Trainfest and paid maybe $9.00 a piece for each car...seemed like a bargain at the time? The car on the right has the best plastic logs. A Woodland's building has replaced the wooden barn type structure that is now at the Saxeville Interchange.-Greg

View attachment 147188

Waupaca is in a corner of the layout. A junk yard is hidden between the tower and the building with the roof top Firestone sign. The track at the right will lead off to the expansion area. Some ground cover I ordered from the Czech Republic will be installed in the area in fornt of the tower.-Greg

View attachment 147189
A better view of Waupaca with the quarry access point just behind the sign. Additional weathering has been done to the quarry's stone work and looks more realistic and the area above the quarry has been completed.-Greg

That's about all for now.....later.

Greg

#################

View attachment 147190
A Milwaukee Racine & Troy locomotive, equipped with sound, DCC and ditch lights on the CM&N.-Greg
Good afternoon Everyone...........cloudy and the forecasted rain is just starting to fall. Tomorrow the temps should be in the mi-90's then cool slightly the next day. Turtles can live for a hundred years or more in the right location. I've see basket sized snapper turtles walking across roadways on warm days. When I was young and when swimming in a muddy beach I accidentally stepped on a large snapper. I was lucky no to lose a toe or two that day. To this day, I will not swim in a pond or lake if it has any turtles.

Been busy watching the stock markets fall and losing money in full baskets. I know the stocks will come back in due time, but how much time will it take for the markets to recover? This was one heck of a market correction.

Anyone out that can recommend a good cab ride or two videos? I've seen the Colorado Museum videos shot in Greenly, Co.

MD's again tomorrow.

Willie:
That's a nice crop of tomatoes in your garden plot. We didn't plant any this year.

This weekend I plan on driving up to the Train Show at Strawberry Fest in Waupaca, Wisconsin. Going to meet some relatives at the snack corner at the show to catch up on the past three years. I do not need anything in general, but maybe some gondola loads or flat car equipment. Perhaps a car or two??? NO ENGINES!

View attachment 147186
This is the industrial area of the Saxeville Interchange. The plastic Walters background buildings will be replaced with wooden structures that I feel are more realistic. I still need to install background photos behind the buildings. The tracks yet are to be ballasted in the interchange area. It is a high area of the layout and maybe a bit difficult to reach to do the ballasting. The ballasting should have been done earlier in the modeling process-Greg

View attachment 147187
Following the lead of TomO, the plastic logs on the pulpwood cars will be replaced with wood cut from spruce branches form trees near our cabin. I stocked up on these cars at one year's Trainfest and paid maybe $9.00 a piece for each car...seemed like a bargain at the time? The car on the right has the best plastic logs. A Woodland's building has replaced the wooden barn type structure that is now at the Saxeville Interchange.-Greg

View attachment 147188

Waupaca is in a corner of the layout. A junk yard is hidden between the tower and the building with the roof top Firestone sign. The track at the right will lead off to the expansion area. Some ground cover I ordered from the Czech Republic will be installed in the area in fornt of the tower.-Greg

View attachment 147189
A better view of Waupaca with the quarry access point just behind the sign. Additional weathering has been done to the quarry's stone work and looks more realistic and the area above the quarry has been completed.-Greg

That's about all for now.....later.

Greg

#################

View attachment 147190
A Milwaukee Racine & Troy locomotive, equipped with sound, DCC and ditch lights on the CM&N.-Greg
Greg- I’m planning to be at Waupaca on Saturday(& possibly Sunday). Subject to change with the job hunt.
NO. STOP. DON'T get that stupid song in my head.
Dave- I think it’s too late. I DARE you to get that song out of your head now!! 😂😂

Good morning all! 78 degrees already this morning on the way to yet another stifling hot day with another Excessive Heat Warning in effect. Supposed to get up to 98 with a heat index of 107. Not as bad as they're getting it in Spain now but hotter than I care to be just the same.

Very busy day planned at work. More new network cabling being run by contractors and a lot of other related activities going on. Hoping to stay indoors for the most part.

Stay cool my friends and have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back