Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet people

It's troy again

I may have just ordered a thing:

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 11.48.42 AM.png

I feel for the neighbor's dogs. One is an incessant barker. They try to keep her quiet, but don't actually train the dog. And it's not the Jack Russell terrier that is the barking terror. It's the other one.

Dogs want out in the fenced patio. Get let out. If any human is in the vicinity (like me sitting on the patio) then barking commences. Then the neighbors call the dogs back in. Poor dogs rarely stay out more than 1 minute or two.

So, for the price of that, and some 9v batteries, I hope to keep the dogs happy, as well as myself.

They're reacting well to my whistle app on the cell phone, but I have to remember to disconnect the Bluetooth or I fry my hearing aids with the ultrasonic sound. So, we'll go with the automatic one.

I save the 9v batteries from my smoke detectors every year. They work well in the garage door remotes. So I'll just use those.

It'll be nice when the doggos and I can both enjoy the patios.

Oh, it works on cats too!
Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 12.00.16 PM.png

Last edited:
If they limit him to 50 pitches per outing, he might make it to Labor Day, before his next injury. I blame the team for sheltering him over the years.

If Cy Young was pitching today, there would be no such thing as the Cy Young Award.
I don't know what to say. Smarter baseball men than me are making these decisions. I do know it is a sad state of affairs when not even an opportunity to pitch a perfect game supersedes an arbitrary pitch count!
"Stop... One more pitch and your arm will fall off"
Remember "pitch to contact"? Years ago a starter would eat innings by pitching to contact when his team was ahead by 3-4 runs. Dave McNally was the best at this! Imagine what McNally's life time ERA might have been if he had not completed so many games.
Juiced baseballs, steroids and smaller ballparks have taken their toll.

Afternoon All,

Slept horribly last night because my back kept "talking" to me and I just couldn't get comfortable. This morning I had a ultrasound at the VA. After getting home and making lunch I tried laying down for a nap but of course the damn birds wouldn't shut up. Tomorrow I'm heading to my buddy Tom's for a couple of hours and lunch at a very good Mom & Pop Italian place.

Joe- I hope everything works out with the vein issue. Some of the S/S sound like the results of CHF but from a different cause. I had to look up what you have since I wasn't familiar with it.

Guy- Nice progress on the projects.

Dave- Great 1:1 photos.

Willie- Nice looking veggies. Forgive me, but when I saw your photo I immediately thought of a garden gnome. Probably because of the beard. ;)

TomO- I hope you feel better soon.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Louis: Strasburg looked mighty bad last night. 4.2 innings 13.98 ERA....wonder if he has anything left in the tank?

I thought that was quite lame, when the Bums pulled Kershaw when they did. Analytics Rules...I guess.
Give him a few starts, time will tell the tale.

Analytics, for me it means change the channel when they start talking analytics. I know its the smart way for general managers to make personal choices, but why annoy fans with so much of it?

Today I became a college student. 35 years after I quit college to join police department I decided to go back and finish. I never regretted joining the police department but I did regret never getting a degree.

I found out today that I only needed four courses to get my degree from Lincoln Trail College (also my employer) so I decided it was now or never. I signed up for one summer course and plan to take 2 in the Fall and one in the Spring (or the other way around) so that I can actually graduate from college next year.

Today I became a college student. 35 years after I quit college to join police department I decided to go back and finish. I never regretted joining the police department but I did regret never getting a degree.

I found out today that I only needed four courses to get my degree from Lincoln Trail College (also my employer) so I decided it was now or never. I signed up for one summer course and plan to take 2 in the Fall and one in the Spring (or the other way around) so that I can actually graduate from college next year.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll pass your finals (when you do them) with flying colours and
you realise, that now you've told us about this, your gonna have to keep us updated over the next year or so. 🤣

Joe- I hope everything works out with the vein issue. Some of the S/S sound like the results of CHF but from a different cause. I had to look up what you have since I wasn't familiar with it.
Joe- that decision was primarily based on the arm/back injury history, as well as the short ST
Curt: I think CHF was a concern, however, testing, over the past four years indicated otherwise. Then DVT was suspect, and yesterday ruled that out also. The vein problems are annoyances, conservatively treated by walking, compression sox and raising my legs when prone. Water Pills, (Lasix), dosage can be increased, although they do not have much effect with swelling at the current level. I avoid salt when possible.
The cool thing is that I have the results of all three tests in hand, and will take them along when I see my Cardiologist on Monday. As much as I
bitched about pre registration and covid measures, Penn Medicine is a first class operation. I did not wait excessively, and was treated respectfully.

Mike: I get that, but why are all of these high priced pitchers so brittle? The Mets, deGrom, Scherzer, Megill, and May are on the IR. deGrom hasn't pitched since early last year...They retain high priced doctors, training staff and coaches, but these guys are chronically frail. What good are they on the IR.

Took my CTs to the Cadillac Dealer for service. While there, I wandered around the show room. Only 2022s on the floor were Escalades. Everything else, was a Pre-owned car... This is one of the largest Caddie dealers in the East... Once I got home we went to BJ's for supplies, and gas. They have the lowest gas price around, and discount 10¢ / gal. when you present their Master Card. Still, 12+ gallons cost $59.+.

Tomorrow, yard work early, then model railroad. If the weather permits, maybe a drive over to the reservoir for a 30" walk.

Good Morning!

Into a 45F morning cool and the 'experts' are suggesting rain. Don't look like it with all that blue sky outside. Mind you, it's only 6am, so maybe the rain will be coming later.

Curt - Hope you had a better sleep last night. I sleep like a baby when the birds are singing.

Troy - I'm not big on Chinese gadgetry. I'd be surprised if the bark-stop device does anymore than call in the buzzards.

Willie - That's a very nice, lush looking garden; looks like it's on a-bit of a hill.
I've given the wife total control over our garden, with no input from myself. As a result, she's planted lots of one type of flower between the vegetable rows, that's supposed to ward off bugs. Can't remember the flowers name offhand. Suppose we'll see if it works on the bugs, or just beautifies the garden.

I didn't do much in the hobby room yesterday. Couldn't get motivated with it being such a beautiful day outside, so I took the dog and went for a nice long forest walk.
Did try to make a wood floor in the loading dock shed, though.
The photo shows a burnt umber oil applied over a Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-60) base:
OilDeal_06-10-2022 (1).JPG

I plan on placing some Shell red/yellow 55gal drums so they can be seen in the building. Enough to make it look busy. I'm awaiting an order of proper resin 55gal drums that I will paint and decal, and I'll use the ugly plastic Walthers drums as background fill.
No lights will go into the structure, so I'll paint the walls a lighter colour. Hoping to place a yard light in the final scene, though.

Weathering on the building continues slowly. I'm trying to be careful with the weathering. I'm not good at it, and I don't want to do it twice:
OilDeal_06-10-2022 (2).JPG

Think I'll give the visible hard iron parts a metal wash; like the door rail, hinges, and foot plate. - This is all experimental; try it and see what happens.

Anyway, it's only 6;20am and the coffee cup is empty already. Suppose I'll walk the dog early, and get on with the day.
Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back