Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It occurred to me why "everyone" is so angry....ever since 9/11, America has changed. Our leaders are obsessed with security and control. Simple practices like riding a train, or flying commercially, now require special IDs, intrusive security checks and screenings, just to"keep us safe". Since Covid, additional restrictions and fears have developed, along with more unnecessary hassle. Simply stated, the "Land of the Free", is slowly becoming a "Police State".

I guess these Medical Non Profits, (for example), value Risk Management over their stated service to their clients, (patients), and their families. But these are simple tasks, made complicated, to reduce liability to the "Non-Profit" and their For Profit "Parent" organization. After I read all the admonitions about masking, and completed all their forms and covenants, (except the authorization to use my data for research), they confirmed, but stated that having our "Covid Passes" did not guarantee admission. More or less, the person who in the end determines whether we can enter, and I have my scheduled test, is some nitwit security guard.

Amen brother.

Leaders need to be seen "doing something", even if what they are doing is useless -- it's the thought that counts. Common sense has died.

Good afternoon,

Just got back from the field - checking a road detour through a swamp. And Tom, Guy - I did my best to leave all the mosquitos out there.

Last year we had almost none, due to a severe drought which bagan about the first of May. No standing water, no breeding, no mosquitos. This year, plenty of water, green grass, and pesky buzzing insects.

Worked on the layout some last night, promised Curt that I would post a couple pics of some detail work, first a couple of my favorite people:

IMG_2232.JPG

and this guy

IMG_2233.JPG

I will be adding stuff pretty much as long as I have the layout,

I sceniced around this house and added some steps from the sandstone that is plentiful in the area:

IMG_2235.JPG

I put some of those Walthers tear off grass clumps in this area. They add a nice variety.

More later, Dave LASM

Afternoon All,

Today I did the weathering I talked about yesterday. The sequence was 2 coats A&I, a 3rd coat in specific areas, brown weathering powder, black weathering powder and a final coat of A&I (to set the weathering powders). I also mounted the wood fencing (Bar Mills). It needs weathering and permanently mounted but that will be afterthe next water attempt. As I was finishing up UPS showed up with my sand, so thats the project after the doctor tomorrow.

Thank you all for the photo likes yesterday.

Troy- Nice to see what you actually look like.

Dave- I used WS fine buff gravel (C1288). It comes in a small bag, but 1 bag did the entire project. Yes, it was glued down like everything else. I found in the past with this product that when I put thinned glue over it after drying it changed to a brown color that didn't look right to my eye. Nice job on what you have done. I love the cowboy in the distance.

Mikey- Nice job on the yard office and placement.

Joe- Good luck with the tests. I agree with you, In the guise of "protecting" us they have actually had the opposite effect.

Jazz- Love the P/U and the stages of neglect.

Guy- Nice job on the truck so far.

James- Have a great trip.

Sherrel- The important thing-Is it out of Cali?

layout79.jpg

The dark brown areas are simulating rain washing down coal dust. More details to follow.

layout80.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

layout81.jpg

JOE - My legs from mid-calf to the toes have really become swollen ... Spousal Unit has been plagued with that as well.
Good luck with your tests - WTF - my dad never had these types of problems?
Sherrel: I have had swollen legs since I was a young boy. My Dad used to call me "Pool Table Legs", they were so big. They have been an issue since then, but no one in the medical business ever commented until the surgeon who did my knee, had me go for an ultrasound because he was concerned with blood clots.

Good Afternoon out there in Model Railroad land....Rainy day here in Southeast Wisconsin and another nice day is forecasted for tomorrow. We really need the rain for the green plants of all kinds including the corn which is now growing and some is near three in height. No late frosts to kill the young corn plants earl in their lives. The 1:1 trees look real good after the mild winter we had last season.

It seems like the last two weeks has been all medical appointments and it sure is getting boring. The Dr's didn't like the results of some of the tests so back to the labs for a second round of tests. Most of the tests have been find and I was happy. 6.2 on the last A1c test down from a 7.2 last months test just by reducing candy and chocolates from my diet. I also lost a few extra pounds!

I'm still a bit worried about climbing the basement stairs up when finished with the railroad. Legs are sort of weak and my balance is a bit off from center.

Been looking for a Bachmann GE 70 ton locomotive with DCC on the web, but no luck only to find sellers wanting way above a good price. I have two Bachmann's and I lost a drive gear from one of the units and Backmann doesn't stock them any longer. My two Bachman 70 Tonners were lettered and CM&N logos added. I would just switch my good body chassis to the new good frame. I would use the locomotives to switch the coal mine.

New River Mine.jpg
The New River Mine is above the CM&N mainline and locomotives must switch the cars down through a series of switches to get the main lead tracks.-Greg

Speaking of veterans, my dad was drafted into the Army at 32 years of age and was promoted to Sergeant at the end of Boot Camp. He became an instructor Just after becoming a Sergeant at a tent repair facility. Then he was sent to the Philippines aboard ship for trip lasting six months to avoid a Jap submarine that wanted to sink their troop ship along with the others with their ship. Everyone got sea sick on the trip.

During my Father's military time from 1942 - 1945, he ran into two friends from boot camp on every Christmas no matter where they were stationed and their tradition continued after their leaving the military until my Dad's death in 1976. Usually they had Christmas Day at my parents home for a light lunch and a few cocktails.

I ordered a Grainer brush to do the weathering streaks of rust running down the sides of a piece of rolling stock with the same order some Gouache Acrylic paints also for weathering.

That's all for now....stay safe.

Greg

########################

IMG_0466.JPG

An old SOO LINE box car thats been converted to a storage and office for the fellows working the SOO yard at the Pine Pine River Yard. The green slime in the hollow will have some static grass added to the perimeter of the hollow. The burred lines across the top of the photo are the E Z Lines between the utility poles.-Greg

Last edited:
Good Afternoon out there in Model Railroad land....Rainy day here in Southeast Wisconsin and another nice day is forecasted for tomorrow. We really need the rain for the green plants of all kinds including the corn which is now growing and some is near three in height. No late frosts to kill the young corn plants earl in their lives. The 1:1 trees look real good after the mild winter we had last season.

It seems like the last two weeks has been all medical appointments and it sure is getting boring. The Dr's didn't like the results of some of the tests so back to the labs for a second round of tests. Most of the tests have been find and I was happy. 6.2 on the last A1c test down from a 7.2 last months test just by reducing candy and chocolates from my diet. I also lost a few extra pounds!

I'm still a bit worried about climbing the basement stairs up when finished with the railroad. Legs are sort of weak and my balance is a bit off from center.

Been looking for a Bachmann GE 70 ton locomotive with DCC on the web, but no luck only to find sellers wanting way above a good price. I have two Bachmann's and I lost a drive gear from one of the units and Backmann doesn't stock them any longer. My two Bachman 70 Tonners were lettered and CM&N logos added. I would just switch my good body chassis to the new good frame. I would use the locomotives to switch the coal mine.

View attachment 147000
The New River Mine is above the CM&N mainline and locomotives must switch the cars down through a series of switches to get the main lead tracks.-Greg

Speaking of veterans, my dad was drafted into the Army at 32 years of age and was promoted to Sergeant at the end of Boot Camp. He became an instructor Just after becoming a Sergeant at a tent repair facility. Then he was sent to the Philippines aboard ship for trip lasting six months to avoid a Jap submarine that wanted to sink their troop ship along with the others with their ship. Everyone got sea sick on the trip.

During my Father's military time from 1942 - 1945, he ran into two friends from boot camp on every Christmas no matter where they were stationed and their tradition continued after their leaving the military until my Dad's death in 1976. Usually they had Christmas Day at my parents home for a light lunch and a few cocktails.

I ordered a Grainer brush to do the weathering streaks of rust running down the sides of a piece of rolling stock with the same order some Gouache Acrylic paints also for weathering.

That's all for now....stay safe.

Greg

########################

View attachment 147004

An old SOO LINE box car thats been converted to a storage and office for the fellows working the SOO yard at the Pine Pine River Yard. The green slime in the hollow will have some static grass added to the perimeter of the hollow. The burred lines across the top of the photo are the E Z Lines between the utility poles.-Greg
You looking for something like this?
This is in the US.

Last edited:
Ken in Illinois, you have been quiet. How’s the job going?
Things are going very well! Absolutely couldn't be happier with the job. The college president and a few others keep coming up with new projects for me to do and/or investigate how to do. Some things practical, some things not so much. Just the same, I'm so happy I got this job and I look forward to going in each day.

Between getting up early, going to work and then working in the garden of an evening I'm pretty wiped out. Also been working on a few other projects that have occupied my time as of late.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and a warm 76° with a slight chance of rain later this morning.

The doctor visit with my primary care guy went as expected yesterday. Everything was normal and blood was drawn for a multitude of stuff. I'll know the results later today if someone on his staff remembers to enter it online. They have been derelict on this before and I have had to call and ask for it.

I mowed most of the front yard yesterday. Last week I went east/west, yesterday I went north/south; next week it will be southeast/northwest. It does prevent a pattern from developing and I get a different view to break the monotony. Today will be the south side yard and a more proper mowing over the SW corner where the septic system is located. I mowed that extra high last time since it was well overgrown and I will do it at normal height this time.

Yesterday was the last day that I got to look at the "amber waves of grain" next door.
View attachment 146976
A very obvious intruder was present.
View attachment 146977
I did not take any pictures while it was on my side of the field due to the great amount of chaff and dust, some of which made it into the pool. It's something that I have to put up with one day a year unless the wind is out of the north, rare in the summer.
Remember the model of the John Deere 9620 that I just mounted on the flatcar?
View attachment 146978
That's a mobile grain hopper that the combines dump their loads into while in the field. It goes from there to an 18 wheeler parked on the perimeter of the field to be hauled to the elevator. Two combines, one of these and the 18-wheeler took about three hours to do 80+ acres. The truck had to make one trip to the elevator (seven miles away) in the middle of the operation. Meanwhile there is enough storage space in the combines themselves and this hopper to last until he got back.

I had a lull in the wind yesterday evening, so I was able to irrigate the garden for 2.5 hours with the overhead sprinkler. It had been six days since the rain last Wednesday night. Picked Yellow Squash yesterday. Since squash does not preserve well, I only plant a few plants for fresh eating.
View attachment 146979
The dark yellow one is the product of incomplete pollination, might be good, might not. These are all from one plant. I have more that I planted three weeks later to extend the harvest. Unfortunately with the warm nights, the tomato and pepper flowers will not pollinate, so that harvest which is just starting will end around July 4th. That tomato in the photo is a variety that I have not grown before called Juliette. It is a meaty variety that is good for marinara sauce, but doesn't get very large. There's quite a few green ones out there.

Thanks for the many comments and reactions regarding the flatcar load; Patrick, Sherrel, Dave B, Smudge, Guy, Steve J, Karl, Louis, Tom O, Hughie, Rick, OB Ken, Curt, IB Ken, James, Tom, Jaz.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains again. That's why I have them after all. But I also received a package in the mail. I don't normally purchase stuff over the Internet except for locos from ScaleTrains, but Tom O had twice recommended figures from a Canadian company called Miniprints
View attachment 146980
These are 3D printed figures and accessories for model railroaders.
View attachment 146981
View attachment 146982
From the bottom clockwise are raccoons, squirrels, lady on air mattress, Daisy on a bicycle, lawn chairs, Adirondack chairs, Texas Longhorns, and armadillos.
I managed to get one of the Longhorns down the road to pose for me as a model. She seemed annoyed but unperturbed.
View attachment 146983
Damn fencepost! Here's the rest of the herd up close.
View attachment 146984
I don't know about the two young ones, but both of the big ones are mamas.

OB Ken -

My gardening philosophy is to plant a little for the birds and four-legged critters, a little for Mother Nature (wind, rain, frost), a little for the insects and a lot for me. Usually works but not always.
Sherrel - I think that Smudge hit the nail on the head regarding why they don't use blocks on tractor loads.
Guy - I believe that chain cinches are available in HO, but on my load they are hidden under the tractors. At least that's my story.
Curt - Those JD 9620's cost about $500K apiece. The guy who leases and farms this acreage has two that I know of, along with two combines and numerous other pieces of equipment. All in all, I am told that he leases or owns over 50,000 acres in our area.
Jaz - I am a basic hermit and don't go to movies or read any Hollywood gossip news, so I really didn't know who Amber Heard was. So I googled her name and was hit with a lot of pictures of her with no clothes on! Still never heard of any of her movies except Aquaman.

Everyone have a great day.
Willie
Love your critter figures and the long horns,

I have the aqua man films and had never placed her, as she had red hair and a not memorable part, yuk I won’t Google her! We watched a lot Depp is a bit of a tit but he came across far more honest, she quickly came over as snotty, and clearly believed she could say what she liked and expect to get away with it,not only did she stop Depp paying the money direct by threatening him with taxes for her charity claims, but she had that money 10 months not paying a dime before he sued her, she had no plans to cough up, there was not one picture of her ‘battered’ as a woman I take pictures all the time if my body goes wonky, and she would have known the importance of such pictures, so she is a liar in my opinion and her attitude made me cringe.Her facial expressions alone wreaked of ‘superiority’, and when cross examined her lies had no proof and were often easily found to be contradictory. I think our English judge deserves a kick up the bum, but then he did not have her as the defendant but one of our scurrilous rag mags who employ lawyers all the time to defend the undefenceable.

I grow my squash until the skins are as hard as possible, then store them in a well aired cool spot, and at least half and sonetimes much more stores, I check them each week and quickly throw or cut off bad bits and eat, and then have fresh seed for the next spring, they harder skin ones do store better and slowly harden off and the colour can pale, if they dry it does not bother me as that just preserves the seeds.
not this years pictures from me, as I was late because of the ankle and knee, those yellow ones of yours look yummy and thin skins you can eat, do you have a specific variety that is early cropping,

As for your hermit tendencies my other half aspires to that, he just a bout copes with me lol, I go do all the shopping,one hobby drags him out,but he buys via sites and

Attachments

• A18EB78D-825B-4690-8558-6278415C2E20.jpeg
    A18EB78D-825B-4690-8558-6278415C2E20.jpeg
    661.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 48DF1114-18E5-4242-B233-EAAFFF158743.jpeg
    48DF1114-18E5-4242-B233-EAAFFF158743.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 50
  • BB2101DB-5C93-4E77-8EB8-862DEC184DB3.jpeg
    BB2101DB-5C93-4E77-8EB8-862DEC184DB3.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 03043A56-7385-4CD3-BC59-C4AB171C5F7F.jpeg
    03043A56-7385-4CD3-BC59-C4AB171C5F7F.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 49
I went up to Gilberts Trains in Gettysburg, PA yesterday. I was interested in buying some of the small buildings they have there. I picked out a few and was trying to balance them in one hand while I carried a couple in the other hand. Yeah, being as they are plastic, they started sliding and one went to the floor and shattered. While I was trying to pick that one up, a second building slipped and shattered on the floor as well. So, basically, I turned em into a couple of kits.
Picked up a few other odds and ends for rebuilding locomotives, drive shafts, lighting kits, a motor and an oversized auto parts box car.
I have a friend from Alabama staying over for a few days. Yeah, he brought some more locos to upgrade.

Good morning all! 57 degrees on the way to sunny and 80.

Really really tired this morning. Haven't been sleeping well the last few nights and it's really starting to catch up to me. Not sure why I'm not sleeping well, but I keep waking up every couple hours all night.

Got a few projects at work I'm in the middle of doing or planning. We bought a couple Logitech Rally Plus camera systems for classrooms and I've been working out how I want to install those. I and my part-timers installed part of one yesterday and plan to finish the job today. Still have another one to do after that but we haven't worked out how that one will be done yet. In addition to that, they moved a bunch of people around campus to different offices and I'll have to go in and run new network and phone connections for them once they get the offices set up.

No time at all lately to think about model railroading. Hoping to get back into it once gardening season is over. Hope you all have a great day!

I went up to Gilberts Trains in Gettysburg, PA yesterday. I was interested in buying some of the small buildings they have there. I picked out a few and was trying to balance them in one hand while I carried a couple in the other hand. Yeah, being as they are plastic, they started sliding and one went to the floor and shattered. While I was trying to pick that one up, a second building slipped and shattered on the floor as well. So, basically, I turned em into a couple of kits.
Picked up a few other odds and ends for rebuilding locomotives, drive shafts, lighting kits, a motor and an oversized auto parts box car.
I have a friend from Alabama staying over for a few days. Yeah, he brought some more locos to upgrade.
I like going to Gilbert's. Tommy is a lot of fun, and he has some pretty obscure stuff too. I used to go there more often when son#2 attended Gettysburg College. I will escape the house, drive to Mainline Hobbies, then Tommy's for a weekend jaunt now and then. Between the 2 stores, I get what I need.

Morning all,

Day 2 of no coffee. Of course Wichita has been cleared, just not all the cities and water districts they provide water to.

Not a lot yet this morning. Had a warning light on the dash tell me low tire. It was at 29# where the rest were at 30# All got more air. I really hate the sensors on the truck as a message saying low tire means you have to check them all. If your going to have a sensor, then tell me which tire. Inevitably, it almost always happens when the weather outside isn't really where you want to be (snow, horizontal rain, below zero windchills, etc.) On the Equinox, it tells you which one and how much is in each tire. The sensors are pretty accurate when checked against my gauge.

Enough grumbling, Grandson is away at Mars Camp. Be nice to see what he learns. He won the camp in a contest this spring. The Kansas Cosmosphere is holding the camp. After a bunch of reading about the place and it's beginnings, it has the largest collection of Soviet and Russian space stuff and is second only to the Smithsonian for US space stuff. Yep, larger than NASA. Explains why I was a bit let down when I went to the space center on Houston years back. Seems NASA and Russia was getting rid of stuff and in the 70's and 80's and nobody wanted the stuff. Cosmosphere said they'd take it. Nice place to visit if you have any interest in space.

Ken: Glad to hear the job is going well.

Jaz: I agree with you on Ms. Heard. Anytime they had her on the news answering questions, she always appeared to be answering to the jury, like she was acting, instead of talking to the person asking the questions.

Jaz: I agree with you on Ms. Heard. Anytime they had her on the news answering questions, she always appeared to be answering to the jury, like she was acting, instead of talking to the person asking the questions.
From what I have seen and been taught, most atty's want you to talk to the jury and ignore everybody else; cept for the judge. Jury IS the body that decides your fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back