Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, why did you have to mention taxes!? Now you ruined the forum! 😉
I'm just joking, I wear big boy pants. 😁

A cold beer on a hot day. That is pleasant living!
What kind of beer do you drink? I like any Lager, Pilsner beers are my favorites. My go to Bourbon is Evan Williams. Truth is I never tasked a Bourbon I did not like.

I hope that doctors find some answers for you.

Good morning from a wet and it may get wetter Wisconsin. Rains this morning and evening are predicted and 70f degrees for the high. Rains have occurred the last 3 days.

I said my piece on the Monarchy, at least there were no mass shootings during the celebration. They got that going for them. But I did read they scared some horses at a race track when they set off fireworks in Jubilee celebration.

Willie, Thanks for the reminder about D-Day

JazA, I have met very few WW2 vets, including the FIL and my dad who would talk at all about their service time. It’s too bad, maybe if they had some of the conflicts that occurred since might not have happened

Trains and then in person ice hockey today. On campus we will see 3-6 games this week as the under 18 Women’s World Championships are in Madison the next 2 weeks.

Have a great day
TomO
But what about Johnny and Amber??? Inquiring minds want to know!o_O
Her attitude was so ‘superior’ in her own mind, can’t stand her, he is no great shakes as a human being but the endorsements he received appear to show at least he is human, I had zero sympathy for her in short order. Her own attitude being the main reason.

Good Morning!
Lots of wet weather happening, and all I can do is help the wife with her stuff. Which is OK, because I need to keep her happy.

Yesterday, we travelled to Barrhead to visit a greenhouse. The wife is looking to beautify the property, and spending lots to do it.
So, while she's shopping, I take the opportunity to capture photos of things that interest me.

I collect photos of old vehicles, equipment, buildings and industries, and trains and airplanes, as I find them. You never know when you'll need a handy photo of an old, rusty pick-up for weathering purposes:
View attachment 146940

Or, one day I might want to know what a seed cleaning plant looks like, for modelling purposes:
View attachment 146941
View attachment 146942
That particular plant is not rail serviced, as there are no tracks in Barrhead. It could very easily be made rail serviced, though.
I'm actually considering going back soon, so I can get photos from all sides.

Curt - Do you purchase special sand for you're layout? Also, I notice on in the photo, that you seem to be making water in the foreground. If so, is it your intention to paint the water after the river material is down? It dosen't look like the plywood is painted ar all.
Real nice looking ledges and trees, bye-the-way!

Willie - The tractor loads and chain look wonderful. They'd look even better with chain cinches, but, I don't even know if those exist in HO.

Dave - I'm actually a WWII history enthusiast. I admire and respect all veterans from that time, and have met many as I grew-up. Even my old scout leader was a battle sergeant during the time. He taught me how to shoot in the basement of an elementary school. Can't do that anymore today.

Well, I'd better get to it. Have a great day!
3DA9BBB7-4280-41D5-A50C-AEDC7ED69073.jpeg
C43ED1F4-C472-415D-A83D-1790ACA4ABE2.jpeg
03B392AA-6F06-4F71-8216-28A3F7B6EEE2.jpeg
B6A5F2D6-13F3-48B2-BBE5-348E12778591.jpeg
5D6F4955-707F-4F5D-91EA-B41E57F9C8E3.jpeg
71D3B6C0-E8D8-465B-95DB-2D6BECF913DF.jpeg
49967299-01E8-40A2-A30E-B163993C18FD.jpeg
7CD0506F-23F0-4552-B78D-A906B1E35EBC.jpeg
79C63E8B-30A7-4430-9124-813A4CE1CE6C.jpeg
4451D80C-F818-4681-BA72-DE296B71B84F.jpeg

Morning all,

No coffee in the real as the area is under a boil water advisory. Water in the coffee and tea pot don't get hot enough. Seems Wichita water department didn't do something right and now all area that use water from Wichita are under the advisory. I know excrement happens, but good grief...no coffee??!!!

Not much going on yet today and I hope to keep it that way.

BBL

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and a warm 76° with a slight chance of rain later this morning.

The doctor visit with my primary care guy went as expected yesterday. Everything was normal and blood was drawn for a multitude of stuff. I'll know the results later today if someone on his staff remembers to enter it online. They have been derelict on this before and I have had to call and ask for it.

I mowed most of the front yard yesterday. Last week I went east/west, yesterday I went north/south; next week it will be southeast/northwest. It does prevent a pattern from developing and I get a different view to break the monotony. Today will be the south side yard and a more proper mowing over the SW corner where the septic system is located. I mowed that extra high last time since it was well overgrown and I will do it at normal height this time.

Yesterday was the last day that I got to look at the "amber waves of grain" next door.
IMG_1040.JPG

A very obvious intruder was present.
IMG_1041.JPG

I did not take any pictures while it was on my side of the field due to the great amount of chaff and dust, some of which made it into the pool. It's something that I have to put up with one day a year unless the wind is out of the north, rare in the summer.
Remember the model of the John Deere 9620 that I just mounted on the flatcar?
IMG_1042.JPG

That's a mobile grain hopper that the combines dump their loads into while in the field. It goes from there to an 18 wheeler parked on the perimeter of the field to be hauled to the elevator. Two combines, one of these and the 18-wheeler took about three hours to do 80+ acres. The truck had to make one trip to the elevator (seven miles away) in the middle of the operation. Meanwhile there is enough storage space in the combines themselves and this hopper to last until he got back.

I had a lull in the wind yesterday evening, so I was able to irrigate the garden for 2.5 hours with the overhead sprinkler. It had been six days since the rain last Wednesday night. Picked Yellow Squash yesterday. Since squash does not preserve well, I only plant a few plants for fresh eating.
IMG_1056.JPG

The dark yellow one is the product of incomplete pollination, might be good, might not. These are all from one plant. I have more that I planted three weeks later to extend the harvest. Unfortunately with the warm nights, the tomato and pepper flowers will not pollinate, so that harvest which is just starting will end around July 4th. That tomato in the photo is a variety that I have not grown before called Juliette. It is a meaty variety that is good for marinara sauce, but doesn't get very large. There's quite a few green ones out there.

Thanks for the many comments and reactions regarding the flatcar load; Patrick, Sherrel, Dave B, Smudge, Guy, Steve J, Karl, Louis, Tom O, Hughie, Rick, OB Ken, Curt, IB Ken, James, Tom, Jaz.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains again. That's why I have them after all. But I also received a package in the mail. I don't normally purchase stuff over the Internet except for locos from ScaleTrains, but Tom O had twice recommended figures from a Canadian company called Miniprints
IMG_1048.JPG

These are 3D printed figures and accessories for model railroaders.
IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

From the bottom clockwise are raccoons, squirrels, lady on air mattress, Daisy on a bicycle, lawn chairs, Adirondack chairs, Texas Longhorns, and armadillos.
I managed to get one of the Longhorns down the road to pose for me as a model. She seemed annoyed but unperturbed.
IMG_1047.JPG

Damn fencepost! Here's the rest of the herd up close.
IMG_1046.JPG

I don't know about the two young ones, but both of the big ones are mamas.

OB Ken -
Always gotta be something trying to eat my garden before I get to.
My gardening philosophy is to plant a little for the birds and four-legged critters, a little for Mother Nature (wind, rain, frost), a little for the insects and a lot for me. Usually works but not always.
Sherrel - I think that Smudge hit the nail on the head regarding why they don't use blocks on tractor loads.
Guy - I believe that chain cinches are available in HO, but on my load they are hidden under the tractors. At least that's my story.
Curt - Those JD 9620's cost about $500K apiece. The guy who leases and farms this acreage has two that I know of, along with two combines and numerous other pieces of equipment. All in all, I am told that he leases or owns over 50,000 acres in our area.
Jaz - I am a basic hermit and don't go to movies or read any Hollywood gossip news, so I really didn't know who Amber Heard was. So I googled her name and was hit with a lot of pictures of her with no clothes on! Still never heard of any of her movies except Aquaman.

Everyone have a great day.

Boris, why did you have to mention taxes!? Now you ruined the forum! 😉
I'm just joking, I wear big boy pants. 😁

A cold beer on a hot day. That is pleasant living!
What kind of beer do you drink? I like any Lager, Pilsner beers are my favorites. My go to Bourbon is Evan Williams. Truth is I never tasked a Bourbon I did not like.

I hope that doctors find some answers for you.
Louis: At least the O's won.

Morning all,

No coffee in the real as the area is under a boil water advisory. Water in the coffee and tea pot don't get hot enough. Seems Wichita water department didn't do something right and now all area that use water from Wichita are under the advisory. I know excrement happens, but good grief...no coffee??!!!

Not much going on yet today and I hope to keep it that way.

BBL

Boil the water and put it in the tea/coffee pot

Boil the water and put it in the tea/coffee pot

Downside to not having a stove in the company break room. Both machines are tied directly to a water line which also make it hard to use in a traditional sense.

However the Senior Center is using their old style 32 cup percolator to make coffee for the senior citizens. The old people (no slant intended as I am a member there for the perks) get pretty irate when we use their soda machine. Wouldn't want to get pursued with coffee in my hand.

Good morning all,

57 and sunny. Mosquitoes are horrendous this spring, due to all the rain. Had to kill a few in my office .

Got a glimpse of a beaver swimming in Indian lake, a nearby body of water known for its blue appearance. Otherwise, the usual deer, bald eagles, and coyotes going about their business.

More later, Dave LASM

Good Morning!
Really fogged up out there, and I can't tell if there is blue sky's or not. Anyway, it's going to be a good day no matter what what the sky looks like.

Not much time for coffee, I've got lots of projects on the go.
Here's one. The COE truck undergoing the long and patient process of painting and weathering:
52 Ford COE_06-08-2022 (1).JPG

I'm approaching this one differently than I've done before. We'll see if the ideas I have in my head work, or not. After a number of steps I have in mind, perhaps I'll succeed in building a well used, aged truck. - Then again, perhaps it will be a failure. A man's gotta try.

Jaz avalley - I like the 50's pick-up. I had a hard time deciding what order the photos go in. I'm thinking you weathered it, and then toned it down some. The 2nd to last photo is when it looked the best, in my mind.

Willie - Those Miniprint figures look fantastic. I suppose we'll find out if you can paint a tiny racoon face. How come you never walked over to the fence to photograph the longhorns and eliminate the post? Are they mean and excitable?

Sherrel - You made me smile with the Depp comment.😊

Came across a freight entering the Greencourt highway crossing the other day. So, I just had to take a photo:
CN 2637_C44-9W_GrnCrt_06-06-2022 (1).JPG

Yesterday, I saw those engines sitting in the Whitecourt yard. The empty freight cars they were bringing to Whitecourt will be over in the staging area, waiting for dispersal.

Dave - I haven't seen a single mosquito yet this year! (knock on wood)

Time to walk the dog and get on with it. Have a good one!

Good morning. 75° and sunny,going to 85° Had 0.04"of rain overnight.

Just completed the check in process for tomorrow's tests. Also confirmed for the third time, and completed the covid questionnaire , and received our entry passes. So tomorrow, we will drive 50 miles in the rain, and hope we can get past Security, all for 3 tests and an "Encounter" to hopefully explain the results and recommendations. Oh, by the way, I have to "Fast" from Midnight. While the problem is painful, unless the condition is life threatening, my inclination is not to continue this course beyond tomorrow. Too much hassle for the privilege of spending a ton of Medicare's money on something else that may or may not work.

It occurred to me why "everyone" is so angry....ever since 9/11, America has changed. Our leaders are obsessed with security and control. Simple practices like riding a train, or flying commercially, now require special IDs, intrusive security checks and screenings, just to"keep us safe". Since Covid, additional restrictions and fears have developed, along with more unnecessary hassle. Simply stated, the "Land of the Free", is slowly becoming a "Police State".

I guess these Medical Non Profits, (for example), value Risk Management over their stated service to their clients, (patients), and their families. But these are simple tasks, made complicated, to reduce liability to the "Non-Profit" and their For Profit "Parent" organization. After I read all the admonitions about masking, and completed all their forms and covenants, (except the authorization to use my data for research), they confirmed, but stated that having our "Covid Passes" did not guarantee admission. More or less, the person who in the end determines whether we can enter, and I have my scheduled test, is some nitwit security guard.

One fun fact:
Penn Medicine advised that masks must be worn while inside their facility, and that having been immunized (4 injections worth), was insufficient. In the next sentence, they advised, they had a covid shot reserved for us if we hadn't had one yet...WTF?????

Worst part of all of this, is that Tomorrow, we will have to be on the road by 0600, to be there by 0715. The drive is 50 miles one way. If the forecast is correct, it will be raining. I will be 2½ hours earlier than usual, fasting, meaning no food, no coffee, no meds. So before anything else happens, I will be crabby. Not a good start, eh?

Willie:
That old gal looks quite crabby. Not a photogenic critter.

Rangers vs Tampa Bay...down to a three game series...I dislike Tampa Bay, but I hate the Rangers. Any way you look at it, the Cup final will consist of two teams I dislike. I'll still probably watch it.

Good wet morning from So. Central Wisconsin. Heavy rains till mid afternoon.

Today they have a ceremony for the kids moving from 5th grade which is elementary school here in Wisconsin to 6th grade which is the Middle School. Huge adjustment for the 5th graders so a ceremony today and then Thursday and Friday they have 6th grade companions to help them navigate the next couple days. Ceremony at 1pm and the 10 year old granddaughter will have quite the contingent rooting her on. Harper is well known in the district and well liked by some students, staff and administration. She is not the only one moving over with special needs but she is OURS. 6 neighbor couples and their kids are attending along with the 16 year old twins who have watched over her for years. Party at 5 this afternoon and guess who is manning the grill with lots of help?

No hockey today which is fine. The past 2 days we saw 4 of the 8 possible games we could have attended. 18 and under IIHF World Championship Women’s hockey. As with most of the International tournaments Terry and I have attended only the International Committee makes money. For the hoops the University of Wisconsin is jumping through I doubt this tournament will be back on campus in my lifetime. They stepped into help out and save the tourney from a 3rd year of Covid cancellation. It was to have been played in Sweden this past January.

Another day of no trains.

Senior citizens and their coffee. I guess Patrick someone needs to make a run to a coffee shop. I bet the coffee there is hot enough to qualify as boiled. I would recommend as a substitute a Dr Pepper, diet, regular or sugarless.

Willie, I remember watching JI Case tractors getting loaded in Racine, Wisconsin and the chocks being removed by sledge hammer after the units were tied down on the flat cars.

Dave, please keep your mosquitoes up North! We have been very fortunate the past few summers. I would like to keep it that way. The currently big yard program here though is the Mosquito Repellant service you can buy. More commercials, even on You Tube, then the lawn services for weEd’s and fertilizing

Ken in Illinois, you have been quiet. How’s the job going?

Sherrel, I would give a rats ass as much as I care about johnny and Amber. How can a person blow through a 300 million dollar fortune and sink to being so low a person? Never mind, Terry says drugs. Whatever happens to either they did to themselves. That must have been one wild marriage. There is as much media coverage on those 2 as the Jubilee is still getting on the National news programs.

Wow, it is pouring out. Terry days TV guy says 2” of more already since 5am.

Enjoy your day
74004ECA-BD19-4A33-B5DA-B272406E6EE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning. 75° and sunny,going to 85° Had 0.04"of rain overnight.

Just completed the check in process for tomorrow's tests. Also confirmed for the third time, and completed the covid questionnaire , and received our entry passes. So tomorrow, we will drive 50 miles in the rain, and hope we can get past Security, all for 3 tests and an "Encounter" to hopefully explain the results and recommendations. Oh, by the way, I have to "Fast" from Midnight. While the problem is painful, unless the condition is life threatening, my inclination is not to continue this course beyond tomorrow. Too much hassle for the privilege of spending a ton of Medicare's money on something else that may or may not work.

It occurred to me why "everyone" is so angry....ever since 9/11, America has changed. Our leaders are obsessed with security and control. Simple practices like riding a train, or flying commercially, now require special IDs, intrusive security checks and screenings, just to"keep us safe". Since Covid, additional restrictions and fears have developed, along with more unnecessary hassle. Simply stated, the "Land of the Free", is slowly becoming a "Police State".

I guess these Medical Non Profits, (for example), value Risk Management over their stated service to their clients, (patients), and their families. But these are simple tasks, made complicated, to reduce liability to the "Non-Profit" and their For Profit "Parent" organization. After I read all the admonitions about masking, and completed all their forms and covenants, (except the authorization to use my data for research), they confirmed, but stated that having our "Covid Passes" did not guarantee admission. More or less, the person who in the end determines whether we can enter, and I have my scheduled test, is some nitwit security guard.

One fun fact: Penn Medicine advised that masks must be worn while inside their facility, and that having been immunized (4 injections worth), was insufficient. In the next sentence, they advised, they had a covid shot reserved for us if we hadn't had one yet...WTF?????

Worst part of all of this, is that Tomorrow, we will have to be on the road by 0600, to be there by 0715. The drive is 50 miles one way. If the forecast is correct, it will be raining. I will be 2½ hours earlier than usual, fasting, meaning no food, no coffee, no meds. So before anything else happens, I will be crabby. Not a good start, eh?

Willie: That old gal looks quite crabby. Not a photogenic critter.

Rangers vs Tampa Bay...down to a three game series...I dislike Tampa Bay, but I hate the Rangers. Any way you look at it, the Cup final will consist of two teams I dislike. I'll still probably watch it.
Boris, absolutely agree with everything you wrote here today

Be well

Good morning all!
54F in Libby
58F in Sun Prairie and the 'Sun' part lied.
So, wondering minds just need to know. Is there a real Mel's Diner that most of us allude to? Been thinking about creating some sort of small diners to spread around and if there is/was one it would be a perfect candidate. Location and possible pix if so.
Later

Morning ya'll! Well it's almost lunch time here in Upstate NY ADK.

Got some much needed rain last night and early this morning but not enough. I will mow my front yard tonight after work that will take 30 minutes. I will leave the back yard until next week Monday evening. I scalped it last week so it needs a little more time.

Well I am headed to Texas tomorrow.....none of my "Ex'es live in Texas" :p🤣😂 So it's safe to go there! I am looking forward to seeing my buddy there! We will be seeing that movie Top Gun Maverick in IMAX theater Friday. We will probably do a little riding around then go to the gun range he is a member of and do a little dust off. Then later that evening we will be going to the famous Cattle Men's steak house for dinner. Then Saturday we will be on Lake Fork with a professional fishing guide going after a double digit large mouth bass. I am hoping to get anything over 10 lbs. I have caught a few when I lived in Florida but it has been a long time.... So Sunday I will be back home again at which time I will prepare for my sister's arrival from London, England.

I got a bunch of packages in while I was out last week and weekend. I will post later on when time permits. Mostly box cars and hoppers. I did get a locomotive from Trainworld the UP 1111 Employee Pride loco when they ran the Memorial Day burn sale. I got it for 150 bucks LEDs and Tsunami 2 so that was worth it! Anyways I will show all of that off later on the RPO thread and of course my JR's UPPR thread.

I will also post some of my Godson's results from his High School State Tournament with the B.A.S.S. Nation. He placed 1st in his high school (there were 4 teams so 8 contestants from his school) but he placed 103rd overall out of 434 contestants. Not bad for a freshman/rookie. There were 217 boats in it. He caught 3 largemouth bass keepers (caught 21 fish total including varying species like crappie, white bass, striper, catfish and a shad) the 1st day in 92 degree water surface temperature and the 2nd day it was 87 degree water surface temperature which he only caught one keeper. (he caught only 11 fish total this day all were bass but not legal size.) His partner zeroed out on both days for keepers but he caught a bunch of fish and variety as well. The tournament increased the size limit by 2 inches. The state requires minimum 12 inches but the tournament was set at 14 inches. He would have had 5 day limits each day if it were not for that and place much higher because some of them shorter bass had some pot bellies on them! Oh well there is always next year!

Ya'll have a good'un I will be in Texas boots an all................. be looking for a heifer maybe?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back