Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! Literally just got a phone call from Her Majesties Revenue and Customs (HMRC). in London, to inform me that legal proceedings are being instituted against me for failure to pay my tax and "Press 1 to speak to one of our officers"
šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I spoke to one of their officers, judging from the accent, African, possibly Indian, and called him every name I could think of, (and being ex Army, I know a few), and ended by telling him to KMA.
What I didn't tell him is that HMRC. NEVER make automated phone calls, (and definately not in an American accent). And all calls are made from your local Tax office, and I'm well over 100 miles from London, so not local.
Bloody con artists, but unfortunately some poor sod will fall for it.:(

Look at the bright side, at least they didn't call it the IRS. At least they are learning or smart enough to get country right.

Sometimes when I don't have anything else to do, I'll string those callers along as far as I can.

Yeah I've done that a few times.

There is one that has you do things in your Windows registry. I don't even use Windows and they called me once while I was in my car parking at a swim meet. I quickly used Google on my phone to find the correct "answers" and strung the guy along using the Windows registry details found online (that describes the scam) and strung the guy along like 15 minutes before it got to the point where you couldn't just read back stuff from a web page. Then he got an earful. However, never having been a Marine, in the Army, or in the military at all, my earful was probably a bit less interesting and active than @Smudge617

Last edited:
I like to ask them "How do you clean up blood?", then tell them there is lots of it, and you didn't know that a teenager had that much in them! šŸ˜ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£;)

Reminds me of Tom Mabe. He made several CDs of "revenge on the telemarketers." He is a writer for comics, and is very quick on his feet. This is one of my favorites. He had to bleep out names and obscenities. This is not safe for work... nothing lude or anything, just not appropriate for someone to play on their computer while in the office unless you can do it privately... Because you will laugh out loud.

Good morning Crew. Yesterday turned into a long day. We met up with some friends in Dubuque, Iowa for a late 1PM lunch. We then headed out to Galena, Il. Got to the edge of town when Terry decided she wasnā€™t feeling well. Ended up at home last night after driving through some gorgeous Northwestern Illinois countryside and Southwestern Wisconsin hill country. She slept and I drove. She is better this morning and I believe it was lack of decent sleep the previous 2 nights. She says she feels decent this morning and slept good.

I walked through the veggies last night and decided watering could wait till this morning. Terry just came in from watering she says ā€œeverythingā€. She can handle the watering chores in just under an hour. Nothing like the massive almost 1 acre garden with raised beds with a sprinkler system we had up in North Central Wisconsin for the last 15 years we lived up there. Started small at 3- 4ā€™x 12ā€™ 2ā€™high raised beds. It kept getting bigger the closer to her retirement in 2006 till it was just under an acre of 6ā€™ high deer fenced grounds in 2014. She isnā€™t around enough to have a large in ground garden here but the pots and a couple raised beds are enough for our needs and to keep her busy beyond her horses, cars and me.

I am going to relax today. Surprise there! We have the grandsonā€™s hockey game and the granddaughterā€™s t-ball game this evening. We may split up to see the kids play. High temperature today should get to 93f degrees.

My radiation treatment has been rescheduled out 2 weeks. Turns out one of the patients had Covid and came in for their chemo treatments anyway and lied to staff. The whole chemo and radiation day shift are exposed as are some on the other 2 shifts. So they moved all non emergency treatments back. I got the email this morning about the reschedule and Terryā€™s friend and my Endocrinologist was here this morning discussing the trip the girls are taking Tuesday. She told me the reason for the re-scheduling.

The son called about 90 minutes ago. His new AC unit was dead at 4 this morning. HVAC guy asked him what he did to cause this. Sonā€™s reply laughing was I used it. They will be there by noon. He has a good friend, the wife and 18 month old son still visiting but they are out in the tiny house he was living in while the house was being built. That he says has the split AC unit so they are fine. He says every window in the house is open for ventilation but when there is no breeze it is miserable. He did say thankfully it will only reach 95 there today. Like most of Texas he has had under 2ā€ of rain in June. His area has missed the rains that were falling around Austin last week.

Willie, the tomato haul looks great

telemarketers, I strongly suggest you never ever use the word yes, tell them remove you from the list and hang up. Never engage in a conversation as most scammers do not record but the ones that do can use the conversation by editing the words to their advantage

Karl, sorry to read about the work frustrations

James, I have never watched a John Wick movie

Dave, glad you figured out the shorts

Louis, glad you are able to help out that friend and family. People seem to forget that we need help folks at home 1st before we help the world.

If our politicans would spend time thinking of us and not there owns ideasā€¦ forget it

guy, you know I love your photos and your small yard still sees more action then I see in my portion of Wisconsin

enjoy your day
TomO

Still about - - not getting any train work done. The party last Sat. in honor of the 15th anniversary of my ordination was lots of fun. Humbled that so many turned out to celebrate. Was an interesting mix of church folks, VFW buddies, fellow pastors and even a work-mate of the missus. Fun day.

Very dry here in 'snow-ta, so last nights rain quite welcome. I put some sod down last week after filling in some holes the Greyhounds had dug. Saturday, daughters' guide dog was with us of course, and when she got let off the harness, it is amazing! The transformation from her working to her just being a dog is almost explosive! Sure enough, after awhile she found one of the small patches of sod and the expression on her face when she started pulling up a section of sod was priceless! Bewilderment! Joy! Disbelief! Too funny, hard to be angry when we were all laughing so hard.

Bought the RS-3. Was waiting for Modeltrainstuff 4th of July 10% off sale, but noticed stocks dropping and didn't like my chances figuring others out there were probably waiting for the same thing. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow by 1900!! E X C I T E D ! ! !

Wife had half-day off Monday so went for a long bike ride with her. Stopped for a nice lunch at the turn, but 6 miles in on the return trip I ran off the road and front wheel got caught against a lip in the pavement. Down I went. Wife was behind and could not evade/stop, so down she goes atop me. She sprained her right knee, i merely skinned mine nicely. Bikes seem okay, though I need to get them up on the rack for a once-over. Rode the last 7 miles in, but wasn't as much fun! Single-malts tasted good that night. Hoping we are both healed enough for another ride on the 4th. This time with a picnic lunch along the river in Cannon Falls, MN. Idyllic spot! Will try to remember to snap a few pics.

Like I said, not much train work. Did replace the bulbs over part of the table from 2 @ 65w warm to 95w LED Daylight. Man, huge difference!

Hopefully will post pics of the new loco before Tuesday. Happy hol weekend to my fellow yank friends. Smudge, Jaz - Here's mud in your eye! Which reminds me, I haven't seen the usual annual email/meme about the Queen calling Halt to this independence project and that the UK is taking us back in for our own good. Always worth a smile.

Steve J

Good morning, all! It is a wet and gray morning. Not really complaining though. We surely need the rain. The cracks in the ground were about an inch and half to two inches wide, and I thought I could hear Chinese.

Just returned from a curbside pickup at Wally World.

Willie - nice tomato jungle
Guy - Hope your tooth cooperates while you have guests.
Louis - Sometimes having a really good friend can offset poor family relations.
Steve J - Happy 15th.
Karl - Good luck with the interview
Smudge - I was a sailor, no more need be said.

We have been binge watching Chicago Fire on Peacock. We started with Season 1 Episode 1 and there are 10 seasons with an average 22 episodes. Going to take a while.
I got an email from Woodland Scenic advertising traffic lights, coming soon. They have one that really interests me, a flashing yellow between 2 poles. I see it where Bar Mills Row intersects with the main highway.
I am still looking for kit 855 from Bar Mills and may order their Downtown Garage.
With the rain I should get some train time in today.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good morning, all! It is a wet and gray morning. Not really complaining though. We surely need the rain. The cracks in the ground were about an inch and half to two inches wide, and I thought I could hear Chinese.

Just returned from a curbside pickup at Wally World.

Willie - nice tomato jungle
Guy - Hope your tooth cooperates while you have guests.
Louis - Sometimes having a really good friend can offset poor family relations.
Steve J - Happy 15th.
Karl - Good luck with the interview
Smudge - I was a sailor, no more need be said.

We have been binge watching Chicago Fire on Peacock. We started with Season 1 Episode 1 and there are 10 seasons with an average 22 episodes. Going to take a while.
I got an email from Woodland Scenic advertising traffic lights, coming soon. They have one that really interests me, a flashing yellow between 2 poles. I see it where Bar Mills Row intersects with the main highway.
I am still looking for kit 855 from Bar Mills and may order their Downtown Garage.
With the rain I should get some train time in today.

STAY SAFE
LATER
Steve said it was dry in the twin cities, however an hour north we have had lots of rain all spring/early summer. Mosquitoes are a bummer and farmers having a tough time getting a good crop of hay.

Looks like Willie is getting his hay put up in good condition. In Minnesota, esp. first cutting hay, it is often tough getting it baled without getting bleached with rain.

Afternoon All,

Started out at the VA again so Dad could get X-rays of his shoulder and ribs that are hurting after a fall in Key West. I think it's minor but we will see. After getting home I did a couple of chores then fought with the laptop that kept shutting down. The wife did something and fixed it. She's my techie. No train stuff today since I just don't have the motivation. I did order a Blairline structure that will be the Mill Creek mine office, and some more WS buff gravel. Tomorrow daughter, SIL, grandkids, son, me, and possibly Dad are going to the Jurrasic Park matinee.

Thank you for all the photo likes yesterday.

Joe- THanks.They're from the same company that Willie is using. I painted a set from another company but can't find them. šŸ˜ž Youre mall sounds like ours, but here the DMV moved into it. Nice photo.

Louis- That is a sad story about your friends family. I knew you would do the right thing for them.

Mikey- Thanks. Sometimes they're called a Norweigan Snow KittiesšŸ˜‚.

Karl- Good luck with the job search.

TomO- Sorry to hear that. Some people just care about themselves.

Steve- Congrats on the 15 years. It must be tough at times. It sounds like a great celebration.

These are photos of the USCG Eagle.

20220624_105237.jpg

20220624_105251.jpg

20220624_105341.jpg

20220624_105341.jpg

20220624_105346.jpg

20220624_105354.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I must have been swarmed by chiggers, mosquitoes, ants or some other stinging insect a couple days ago. Got these itching sores all over both legs. Very annoying.
It's probably chiggers. You would have seen and felt ants at the time and mosquitos tend to attack upper body parts first. Chiggers are quite prevalent in grassy areas alongside of woods. Seems that I remember you posting about being in that type of area recently. Forget the old wives tale of applying clear fingernail polish to the bites. Use an over the counter hydrocortisone 1% ointment. While they bite, they don't actually "burrow" in, but hang out and eat dead skin and suck juices. A good hosing off, or shower will usually get rid of most if done quickly enough before they have a chance to begin their dirty work. I jump into the pool and drown them!:cool:
Good luck!

Did you pull the nail out or what?

No, leave it in until you're where it can be fixed. I was having to put air in it about every 5 days. I do like to find them before just going to the repair shop and guessing.

Karl: Good luck on the inteview. Just be careful how you answer the question, "Where do you see yourself in the next 5-10 years?" Retired does seem so funny to them...;)

Easier to take it to Discount Tire. They'll do it for free while I wait.
Is it free because of a road hazard warranty? Or do they just offer to fix anyone's tire for free? I agree, it never costs much when I had a shop do the repair... usually $25. BUt when my 4-wheeler picked up a nail, I figured it wasn't urgent, and wasn't sure if a regular car tire shop would want to deal with an off-road tire, I just went and bought a kit at a local car parts store. I've used that kit 3 times now, and there's enough left to do another handful of tires.

Is it free because of a road hazard warranty? Or do they just offer to fix anyone's tire for free? I agree, it never costs much when I had a shop do the repair... usually $25. BUt when my 4-wheeler picked up a nail, I figured it wasn't urgent, and wasn't sure if a regular car tire shop would want to deal with an off-road tire, I just went and bought a kit at a local car parts store. I've used that kit 3 times now, and there's enough left to do another handful of tires.

They just do anyone's with the hope your appreciative and buy tires from them. I started buying my tires from them when they run deals since they are not much different than when Costco runs a deal and I don't have to wait an hour or two at Costco for the work to get done, and they're a lot closer to me than Costco. And they were already doing my rotations and repairs and deserved my business. But I started going there before I every bought tires fro,m them to do a rotation or repair

They'll do rotations and normal puncture repair for free. They'll try to sell you an alignment some of the time or that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back