Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning from out here where it is still o'dark thirty. Supposed to be 74 later on (was only 69 high and cool with some off and on drizzle yesterday)

GARRY - Nice train and photos.

DAVE in PV - Thanks for all the info on the water softener. Maybe, just maybe I will get to it sometime today.

ALAN - Very sorry that you had a setback. I get a lot of those lately!

CURT - You are off and running .. I am with JOE on the adjustments?

IBKEN - Sounds as if you lucked out on the Locomotive. Glad it all worked out.

Waiting to see what WILLIE comes up with this morning?
In the meantime a burrito with doused salsa this morning, please, FLO!

Good morning gang!
Picked up my auction winnings last night. One of the lots I won had an Atlas GP 38 in it, #2112, in perfect shape, along with a P2k SD60 and a Spectrum CW840. Imagine my surprise to find out all 3 had DCC decoders, and 2112 had sound!!
Final tally 14 engines(12 run) 3 with DCC, 3 Walthers coil cars, 2 REA car kits, 2 structure kits, and a whole pile of odds and ends to keep fleabay busy for a bit. All i really wanted was the 2112 and a Kato SD40 in Chessie. Thats what happens when you bid on lot boxes!
Ken, call me when you are ready!

Good Morning All. Clear and absolutely muggy at 74° and 89% humidity. Only got up to 94° yesterday, expect 96° today. Pool felt great yesterday, but it's warming up a bit. Up to 87° which is getting close to the "Ugggh" level. It's warming up more rapidly than in many past years.
I got to indulge in my second favorite summer time passion again yesterday. I mowed the east side of the yard. Just to vary things, I mowed everything on a north/south axis; instead of the east/west axis that I used during May. Today, it's going to be the south and southwest sides. Smaller area and doesn't take quite as long. It's rougher though, as the septic tank and lateral lines are buried there.

Light breakfast today Flo. A BLT sandwich and large glass of OJ.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding the ongoing layout progress; Guy, Jerome, Patrick, Garry, Chad, Karl, Phil, Louis, GT, Curt, Rick. More to come.

I managed some time in the train shed yesterday. Finished up the liquor store except for possible weathering.
Front view.
06-06-20 001.JPG

Rear view including grate over the window.
06-06-20 002.JPG

Overhead shot showing the details I added to the roof.
06-06-20 003.JPG

Now a shot of its position in the line-up.
06-06-20 004.JPG

The "shell" on the right is something that I never completed in the old layout room, and has sat on a shelf for ten years awaiting its chance for fame and glory. This picture reminds me that it is time to add some figures to all of these businesses.
Further over to the right are these two structures.
06-06-20 005.JPG

I posted the far right Toy Store recently, the other structure is a "stand-in" from elsewhere until I can purchase another of the same kit to use here. It's just there so I could get measurements and spacing worked out.

Joe -
Willie: Yeah,especially this one :rolleyes: Been avoiding it since early March. But they have the only Vision Center open in this part of Jersey.
I have access to three Walmarts each about 25 miles away in two different cities. I am reluctant to go into two of them even in non-pandemic times for fear of catching something!:(
That sucks that you cannot get credit from NHL TV and MLB TV due to the shortened season.
Curt -
"and chicks for free".
Unfortunately I am not on MTV!
Ken - A happy ending to the traveling GP38 story!
Alan - Not a good ending to your purchase story.
I am with you regarding the lack of sadness when a project is finished. It's always great to get into a new one for me.
Sherrel - I read that you're getting a new mayor. Political correctness bites another politician!
Best of luck with the water softener.

OK, remember that today is D-Day in history. Fly your flags proudly today. It happened almost eight years before I was born, but I do remember the nuns in grade school talking about it to a bunch of us who didn't understand the significance of it at the time.
Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend.

I tend to profanity. I'm genetically predisposed to profanity (my grandfather was a sailor too). I've had professional training in profanity. But, this was a mistake, as much mine as theirs. They had a complete set of photos of the car on their site, but I was looking for some specific details which I found, and the label. I was so delighted at finding what I needed (or so I thought) that I didn't take that critical second look. I've also done quite a bit of business with Brass Trains and they are generally accurate in their descriptions. I've never had issues with them. Honestly, I think we split the blame this time around. What really irritated me was not being able to finish the project this weekend. This one has been a long trip and I'm ready to put it to bed, or on the rails anyway. Oh well...so it goes. 🤷‍♂️
You know what it was then this time, don'cha. You thought you'd got away with it.

You mention also that it's partially your fault for not checking as carefully as usual. What I've become aware of (and no joking) is any silly mistakes or mishaps when doing a series of anything will occur on the last one. These are different to a learning curve at the beginning of doing something new or unfamiliar, because they've all been corrected. These come about because you unconsciously relax concentration on the last one, because of the relief that it is.

TOOT - I was just about ready to try and get you to repost your pics of 849 - Then I finally realized that it was a FB picture?
Still, binge watching "McLeod's Daughters" -- It;s getting better -- took me 3-4 episodes to get with the program and be able to understand the Aussie speak. ;)

Good Rainy Morning, all!
Funny, the way cool, dark, wet days play with a persons normally joyful morning demeanor. I'm wishing that big dog that bit me years ago would show up, so I could bite him back. It's feeling a little bit tropical around here; 47F in the 40kph winds and hard rain. We're supposed to get upwards of 40mm rain today. It's a good day to sit in a dry spot and have a few coffee's.

Sitting here typing, I can't remember what the ell I posted yesterday. Seems to me, there was a few likes on there, though. So, thank you very much to those who noticed.

Today, I'm going to post a photo of a Walthers Trainline, BCOL tanker I received in the mail yesterday. Not sure why I bought it, as it's out of my intended layout era. I suppose I just thought it was pretty. The tower is a little short, the ladder is crappy, and there's no platform surround; but, it's still pretty:
BCOL_Tanker.jpg

I also purchased 3x post-war 4-bay open hoppers, but, they have not yet arrived.

The gazebo benches I've built are all finished, and awaiting a Monday morning delivery to the client. I'm hoping that gives the latex Varathane enough curing time. I used the left over scrap lumber to build a 12" plant box, which I'll give to the women as a gift. Marketing bonus points.

Time to find something to do! Have a great day, everyone!

You know what it was then this time, don'cha. You thought you'd got away with it.

You mention also that it's partially your fault for not checking as carefully as usual. What I've become aware of (and no joking) is any silly mistakes or mishaps when doing a series of anything will occur on the last one. These are different to a learning curve at the beginning of doing something new or unfamiliar, because they've all been corrected. These come about because you unconsciously relax concentration on the last one, because of the relief that it is.

Yep, that's exactly what it was. I call it "end of project tunnel vision" and have repeatedly warned students against it. It's where you're most likely to make a mistake, which I did.

Well boys, here they are: As soon as I resolve the "Telegraph Hill 12-5 issue", it'll be layout ready. No work involved there really, just another hit to the wallet. There are a few things left to do. Inking the diaphragms, the three stand ins will all eventually be replaced with correct cars, but that stuff will take time, and probably more than I'd prefer. It is at least layout ready. The Rincon Hill and Russian Hill:

Rincon Hill Finished.JPG
Russian Hill Finished.JPG

The other day, when I showed a pic of MRL's Jimbo train, still at work with it's old gondolas and wondered why the new ones had not been assigned to it yet, I came across the answer for some at least on Flicker, referenced on FB's MRL's Western end. They were working in and near Butte MT, with white hard covers fitted, hauled by two RARUS Rlwy locos. Click the pic to enlarge and click again to enlarge further.

Rocker

A BA&P crew approaches Rocker, MT with a train load of concentrates in tow. The trackage in the foreground is BNSF's Copper City Subdivision, which was originally part of NP's secondary main via Butte and Homestake Pass. Above the train is the "BA&P Hill Trail" bike trail which was at one time BA&P's line to several mines in uptown Butte. Adding in the now abandoned Milwaukee Road, there was once a lot of railroading packed into this small canyon along Silver Bow creek.

Yep, that's exactly what it was. I call it "end of project tunnel vision" and have repeatedly warned students against it. It's where you're most likely to make a mistake, which I did.
Alan- glad to see there is still some humanity in you to make a few mistakes like me. Actually, I still have you beat on quality and quantity of mistakes.
You have overcome Murphy's efforts to hinder this fantastic COSF consist. As soon as I find a beer, I will salute you!
Thank you for sharing the trials and thrills of making this a work of art.

Hi gang, it was still morning when I started this post but I got distracted several times and now it's early afternoon - a hot and muggy one, at that! Was planning to get my lawn mowing done before doing anything else, but now I'm having second thoughts. All those Atlas spare parts I ordered 10 days ago also arrived yesterday, so now I can resume my project of backdating a pair of GP40-2's into early GP40's like the B&O had.

Went over to daughter #1's house last nite for supper, and overstuffed myself on carryout bacon-topped pizza - followed by a large frozen yogurt cup for dessert. My bod is paying the price today!🤢

Thanks everybody for the "likes" and comments on my Friday evening post. I'm in too much of a rush now to capture and display the list of names, but I know who you are and appreciate it!

. . .
Ken, it's as I like to say "better to be lucky than good"
. . .
Louis, I definitely was NOT "good" this time - "impulsive spoiled brat" describes me much more accurately I think LOL!

. . . I was so delighted at finding what I needed (or so I thought) that I didn't take that critical second look. . . . 🤷‍♂️
Gosh Alan, I didn't know my disease was contagious! My story with the GP38 purchase is very similar to yours. The seller posted a 'generic' photo of an Atlas L&I GP38 that was an exact match of what I was looking for, but a different road number. If only I'd have thought to look at online prototype photos of my unit before clicking the "Buy-it-now" button...oh well, at least it is something I can easily modify for use in my roster. LESSON LEARNED: When an available loco model I want is painted for an obscure short line, always view prototype photos/history before buying!

. . .
Ken - A happy ending to the traveling GP38 story!
. . .
Thanks Willie, though technically the true end to the story will be when the second geep I ordered arrives! USPS is boldly predicting that I'll have it before 8pm on Monday; that would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Terry - I saw that you quoted my post, but didn't say anything. Did my story leave you speechless?:p

Well, it's time for me to continue with my Saturday chores - the indoor ones at least, like laundry, etc. - then get back on that loco conversion project. Adios!

Willie: One of those neon Beer signs would look great in the liquor store. Worth the consideration, although the wiring is a PIA.
Joe - I desperately want Miller Engineering to come out with an illuminated/animated
FordLogoMiniature.gif
billboard that I could put over my Ford assembly plant, but I don't know if that will ever happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back