Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey: I'm going to cut some "Logs" myself, but I dd wash the ends of the plastic logs with a heavy batch of India Ink and alcohol and that added to the relief of the plastic logs and they looked more better. Several washes were required.

I have approximately 10 cars to work on!

Greg

Howdy, everybody .....

Old Joke!:)

Karl ..... Old joke told by an old joke teller? 😉. .......... Ooooooops...... Oh, hello, Sherrel

Sherrel .
.... Thanks for explaining things. Can I keep razzing you? ... Oooops, i just did. 😁

Ken ..... Regarding Facebook ....... There are some railroad groups and some model train groups in Facebook that are worthwhile.

Chet ..... I like the club photos .....

Willie ..... CUP progress is impressive.

Greg ..... Nice picture with the MR&T loco.

We're still mostly hunkered down . The virus is affecting a lot of people, and we don't want it.

Everybody ...... Have a nice evening .

Good morning Everybody!

Pro-sports, too much money? That’s capitalism for you. The talent the top guys have is in short supply and the demand is high!

I no longer watch college sports. Maryland leaving the ACC was the final straw for me. The NCAA rakes in billions and the players often don’t even get an education. See the University of North Carolina’s own assessment and UNC is not alone, just honest. The players are earning the money and risking injury, they should get paid.

I still listen to the Terps on the radio, my Buddy CJ Brown is one of the broadcasters. CJ was a supervisor at Amazon’s DBA1 distribution center, very smart young man. He was a rather good quarterback for the Terps as well!

Sherrel thanks for the kind words but the only lesson I can give is simple; sell for more than you pay and always make a minimum of a true 12% profit, otherwise you are wasting your time.

Necessity is truly the mother of invention. Starting off with nothing I quickly learned to work hard and eventually smart. I don’t have to work anymore, but it helps keep me healthy, sharp and I enjoy it.

Lots of great comments and photos to comment on, but my time is short. Thank you Everybody for all you share with me.

Time for me to go to the grocery store, have a great day Everybody!

Louis- Maryland(& Rutgers) leaving their former conferences were primarily a financial move. The B1G wanted into the lucrative Balt/DC, Philly & NYC tv markets for the BTN(which they jointly own with Fox Sports- 50/50 split)

David, it’s great to see you!

Boris, I think these MLB players need a history lesson. They seem to have forgotten how long it took for the fans to come back after the strikes years ago. Greed is holding up the season now. The players want their salaries prorated for the short season based on their full contracts. Owners want the salaries prorated based on this year’s reduced revenue. Even the Yankees have agreed to share revenue, the players need to give a little too.

Hi Louis, Good to hear from you again too !

David- you certainly posted a great hobo picture. I may "borrow" your scene to copy for my layout.
Have any more scenes you want to share?

Mikey, Glad you like the scene which I somewhat copied from the Woodland scenics HoBo package. I don't have any other scenes except for old Pete walking along the siding to the left of that scene. I do have a moon-shine still to locate once I make more progress.

Last edited:
Louis- Maryland(& Rutgers) leaving their former conferences were primarily a financial move. The B1G wanted into the lucrative Balt/DC, Philly & NYC tv markets for the BTN(which they jointly own with Fox Sports- 50/50 split)
Mike, that is exactly why I have had enough of college sports. It is bad enough tradition and loyalty mean so little to individual athletes. When they become meaningless to our public institutions it has gone too far. I could understand if the University of Maryland had been suffering financially, but that is not the case.

Mikey, Glad you like the scene which I somewhat copied from the Woodland scenics HoBo package. I don't have any other scenes except for old Pete walking along the siding to the left of that scene. I do have a moon-shine still to locate once I make more progress.
David- We will take a picture when you get the scene complete.
I always enjoy seeing someone else's scenes. Even if copied from elsewhere, each person puts their own twist on a scene depending on materials available and the way the modeler sees the scene in their own mind.

Missed two days -four pages- due to prolonged visit by MURPHY and his minions.
Phil: Did not know that the Governor was down there visiting you...;)

Sorry 'bout that, but I couldn't resist. ;) i've been running around doing things to prep for this knee surgery, and have really been busy. Yesterday, I made a run to the recycle center, to get rid of the cardboard, from the "New" recliner. Then I cut the grass, and some overhanging shrubs. Today, I picked up my new glasses, and did all the banking through the end of the month. Tomorrow, I pick up my old..."newly repaired" glasses, (so now I have a spare pair), then attend an orientation "class" at the Hospital. I also begin using a anti-bacterial soap when I shower. All this while I'm supposed to be self quarantining...Oh yeah, Friday, I do the Covid Test, and see the surgeon. That appointment is now set back to 4:10 PM. I already discontinued my Anti-inflammatory and by Tuesday, will be down to just the BP pill.Already feel those joints complaining.

Curt: You're making a lot of progress with your layout. Chet: All Alcos are grimy...especially Eastern railroads.

I have pretty much given up on sports, and related activities. Between the owners, governing bodies, television and the performers, they have nearly killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

This Covid lockdown has proven, we really don't need that much sports entertainment. Colleges (and High Schools) should not be in the sports entertainment business. Their function is to educate, not entertain.

Opps at Marcus Hook.png

This photo is from the Hagley Museum Digital collection, and involves a Northward PRR steam powered passenger train wrecking at Marcus Hook PA. I do not have any details, although this portion of the NEC was already electrified. The structure in the background is the Congoleum - Narin plant, which makes floor tile and linoleum. The track in the foreground, is the "Ought" track leading to the "North Yard" at Thurlow.

During my time, there was a similar wreck here, involving an Alco RS3 and a gondola load of marine anchor chain, which turned on their side on the Linwood branch around 1974. The shadows in the foreground are very likely standing on or near the Linwood Branch track. In the 70s wreck, the engine tried to take a 13°50" curve (speed 15mph), at a speed in excess of 49mph.

My guess would be that the passenger train took a crossover switch faster tan it should. Keepin mind the tracks at this location run 0-1-2-3-4-5, and there is no grade of any consequence. Just an interlocking.

B&O # 161 @ Greenbelt MD 12_15_1970.jpg

For my fellow RDC lovers, this is B&O train # 161 at Greenbelt, MD on 12/15/1970. Note the pole line and wires are still intact at this point in time.

Boris:

David: Good to see ya!

Willie: for some reason, that's pretty much what I expected. great touch!

Going to be a nice, dry and cooler type day, with lots of sunshine. My New recliner arrived yesterday, so I'm going to assemble it first, then we will do some gardening. Maybe some layout time later on.

Hi Boris, Good to be back.

Last edited:
My bulkhead flatcar now has 507 "logs" on it and I have to go find a few more.
The commercial pulpwood car looks a little more realistic with a "grunge" wash and some varied color spots on the log ends.
Here are the before and after pictures.View attachment 114421

View attachment 114421
Mikey, I still think your cut logs look a lot better but the grey wash on the plastic load sure helps. Even darken a few of the ends of the logs for variation.

Last edited:
[Q:OTE="Boris, post: 483792, member: 3857"]
Phil: Did not know that the Governor was down there visiting you...;)

Sorry 'bout that, but I couldn't resist. ;) i've been running around doing things to prep for this knee surgery, and have really been busy. Yesterday, I made a run to the recycle center, to get rid of the cardboard, from the "New" recliner. Then I cut the grass, and some overhanging shrubs. Today, I picked up my new glasses, and did all the banking through the end of the month. Tomorrow, I pick up my old..."newly repaired" glasses, (so now I have a spare pair), then attend an orientation "class" at the Hospital. I also begin using a anti-bacterial soap when I shower. All this while I'm supposed to be self quarantining...Oh yeah, Friday, I do the Covid Test, and see the surgeon. That appointment is now set back to 4:10 PM. I already discontinued my Anti-inflammatory and by Tuesday, will be down to just the BP pill.Already feel those joints complaining.

Curt: You're making a lot of progress with your layout. Chet: All Alcos are grimy...especially Eastern railroads.

I have pretty much given up on sports, and related activities. Between the owners, governing bodies, television and the performers, they have nearly killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

This Covid lockdown has proven, we really don't need that much sports entertainment. Colleges (and High Schools) should not be in the sports entertainment business. Their function is to educate, not entertain.

View attachment 114431
This photo is from the Hagley Museum Digital collection, and involves a Northward PRR steam powered passenger train wrecking at Marcus Hook PA. I do not have any details, although this portion of the NEC was already electrified. The structure in the background is the Congoleum - Narin plant, which makes floor tile and linoleum. The track in the foreground, is the "Ought" track leading to the "North Yard" at Thurlow.

During my time, there was a similar wreck here, involving an Alco RS3 and a gondola load of marine anchor chain, which turned on their side on the Linwood branch around 1974. The shadows in the foreground are very likely standing on or near the Linwood Branch track. In the 70s wreck, the engine tried to take a 13°50" curve (speed 15mph), at a speed in excess of 49mph.

My guess would be that the passenger train took a crossover switch faster tan it should. Keepin mind the tracks at this location run 0-1-2-3-4-5, and there is no grade of any consequence. Just an interlocking.

View attachment 114432
For my fellow RDC lovers, this is B&O train # 161 at Greenbelt, MD on 12/15/1970. Note the pole line and wires are still intact at this point in time.
[/QUOTE]

Boris: And on my birthday too !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back