Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 69° and partly cloudy; wind is gusting at 1 mph from the SE. Severe weather in the area last evening, but not here. Fifteen miles west and thirty miles east saw thunderstorms/scattered hail/high winds, but I saw no damage reports from nearby...some south of Dallas though.
Hello Francine, let me have the Sunday Special today, good, it's Eggs Benedict and Canadian Bacon. Yummy!
Spent most of the day yesterday repairing stuff that the wife managed to break as she went through the house. Broke the pull chain on the living room ceiling fan, sigh! I have a spare one for a light fixture, but will have to go to HD today for the three speed fan control. Then it was a pole in a closet that was overloaded that came crashing down, clothes that I haven't seen in 25 years. Then her pool float got an air leak and the belt on the vacuum cleaner broke. I didn't get a break all day!:confused: Meanwhile when I got outside, I was able to sharpen all three blades on the mower deck since I have it off anyway.
Attention fellow pool owners. I am really happy with the decision to switch from granular chlorine to liquid chlorine (10% Chlorox bleach). Cost for the first six weeks has been under $25 and the commercial granular would normally have cost me $125 by now. Added bonus is that I am not having to add any clarifiers or algicides yet.

Thanks to all for the likes and comments regarding the flatcar loads yesterday; Chet, Phil, Jerome, Sherrel, Ken.

Yesterday was a general maintenance day in the train shed. Did no modeling and only a minimal amount of train running. Vacuumed the floor, emptied the wastebaskets, replaced two florescent bulbs, upgraded some wiring from #20 to #16 and gave the beer fridge door a workout.

Chet - I cheat and also use Chooch loads on some flatcars.
06-30-19 008.JPG

06-30-19 007.JPG

06-30-19 009.JPG

Those small crates came from somewhere else.
06-30-19 005.JPG

Sherrel - Hope that you're feeling better today.
Ray - Since you mentioned it, it is A-Line chain. I just couldn't remember and didn't have time to go and look.
Terry - Your tales of the warranty remind me of the time I purchased a brand new 1996 Honda Civic. Now I do not purchase extended warranties for any reason and I told the salesman that. He tried to convince me that the extra $16/month on the car payment wasn't really a great amount for the peace of mind. I pointed out that since I had three kids in college, I was using a five year loan and his extended warranty was for only three years; and therefore I would be paying two years for something that I couldn't use! It was actually going to be shorter since it was 50,000 miles and I was putting nearly 24,000 miles on my cars each year. He persisted so I got up and walked out the door and was chased down by his manager in the parking lot. I didn't buy the warranty, and the manager threw a full sized spare into the deal to keep my business. They went out of business shortly thereafter anyway.
Karl - Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Everybody have a great day and stay cool.

Yesterday afternoon was a bust We got in the car to run some errands, backed down the drive, put it in Forward gear, and... nothing. Took my foot off the accelerator and the car began creeping slowly forward while the engine idled. Put it in Reverse and stepped on the accelerator and... nothing. Took my foot off the accelerator and the car crept backwards while the engine idled. This went on for a few more times, then I idled the car over to the curb and called for a tow. This being the weekend, I couldn't go with the wrecker to get a loaner, so we're marooned at home until the Courtesy Van comes to get me on Monday.

For those of you who speak Automotive, we drive a 2013 Outback with a CRT transmission. I had been complaining for years about how the car would frequently hesitate before slipping into gear, but always got the same song and dance about how the transmission was different from a conventional transmission, and you had to treat it differently. Now, though, it seems to have finally broken.

Just by coincidence, I called my BIL an hour later and mentioned the car (he drives a 2014 Outback). He then told me that Subaru had extended the warranty on all its CRT transmissions, likely to avoid having to issue a recall; he then emailed me some links to various articles. The extended warranty is 100k miles, and our car has 67k, so it looks like we're covered. But boy, am I pissed! All the time I had been complaining about a known problem but kept getting fobbed off. I've been rehearsing my civility ever since, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it together.

Good morning all, 76 and rain just brushing it. Radar shows a huge "blob" of rain to the east of us and moving south. What happened to the old reliable pattern of moving west to east around here?

Went up north yesterday to mow and run the chainsaw. I enjoy both jobs. Met another neighbor, friendly people out in that neck of the woods.

Left at 7 am to beat the traffic and congestion at the major highway construction points. Many road closures over the weekends, they fell drastically behind a couple years ago when our governor decided not to sign any capital improvement projects, set us behind 2 years.

Willie- nice flatcar loads!

Beady-- that was a rhetorical question about the event with the drum and bugle corps. However, THANKS for noticing it!

Of interest to me was they had such a thing and they would show up at tiny Taylors Falls (on a spur, not even a mainline) and perform in the middle of winter.

Terry- way to solve the problem!

Chet-- like the layout mine scene

Found these shots of my loading bin, made from street cleaner brushes, typing paper, and some other do dads:

loading bin 005.JPG

above shows initial steps and products.

elevator 003.JPG

Here in the middle of the project. I loved the truck on the box, however had to substitute wheels, the ones in the kit were woefully inadequate

bin2 001.JPG

Here is the finished product. I know I have shared this before, however the photos leading up help tell the story.

more later, Dave

Good morning, everybody.

Willie ..... Thanks for communing on my mine scene. CB&Q served coal mines in southern Illinois, and I am trying to make a mine typical of that region. There are no mountains as in Justin's photos in WV. ..... Your loaded flat cars look great.

Chet .... The mine on your club layout is very impressive. Thanks for commenting about my coal mine. I am not in a rush, and I don't know when I will work on it next time. I have not decided what to do next. I did have a coal miner look at it last week, and he had some suggestions.

Dave LASM ..... I like the stricture in your photos.

I'll be busy for a week starting today. Grandkids are coming to visit. ... I don't know if I will have any time for computer stuff this week.

Cheers.

Good morning Shop Dwellers! 77*F, sunny & calm in central MD.

No earth-shaking changes since my last post, at least not on the mrr front. Kinda difficult for me to focus on a major project when facing a surgical procedure that may have life-changing consequences. But I have been hanging out with some local mrr fiends; today we'll all be visiting a 1972-era Western Maryland layout. Finally...another soul who models the same period I do - the Dark Age of the U.S. railroad industry!

Phil - I don't have much stamina either, the four [worthless] BP meds I'm on seem to sap all my energy. I get light-headed when I stand up too fast or climb a flight of stairs.

Sherrell - I fully understand your plight, I live in Little California. Emissions testing every two years. And our new county exec just imposed a massive tax hike ["First increase since 1992!" he says proudly] and is also imposing a new tax on cell phone usage. For what? Schools, of course...the ones MOH and I spent a fortune to keep our kids out of!

RAY- I just checked the vitamin pill- B-12 is 100 mcg -1667% daily.

To all who post the pixs of your layouts and the building of them- THANKYOU ! To see how it's done amazes me. To those who can , please keep doing it.
Phil

No I don't need anger management , you need to stop pissing me off .

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

It's been a busy weekend. The wife decided we're doing a family BBQ on the 4th, so yesterday I had a major cleaning project in the bird room and today I pulled everything off the pool deck and cleaned it with a 50/50 solution of liquid chlorine and water that I apply with a garden sprayer. You let it sit for a couple of minutes then just hose it off (no pressure washer required). I need to vacuum the pool tomorrow. Nothing on the train front this weekend.

Karl- Have a safe and fun time.

Dave- Great scene.

Willie- Really nice flat car loads.

Chet- Great mine scene.

Sherrel- The DMV isn't much fun here either.

Terry- Congrats on the new Colorado. I drive a 2007 one and like it.

Beady- Sorry to hear about your vehicle. Hopefully it's under warranty.

I hope everyone has a good night and see you in the the new diner.

Struggled up to 90* today under clear skies - normal is 86* - last year 81* and a record of 97* in 2006.

Been doing some "beybuying" this morning to add to the FRISCO Archive website. Managed to grab three beauties: An F-3a (B&Y). An F-3b (O&W) newly painted, and an Alco FA (B&Y).

Did my food run this morning to Wally World before the crowds had a chance to clog up the isles and got a parking space only three spaces away - right next to the handicapped spaces almost directly in front of the door.

Spousal Unit was going out to see her Mom to give her a haircut prior to her birthday party on the 4th! She will be 98! I just don't want to make it there; she is pretty immobile and just really does not want to venture out even for a car ride - her body is kaput, but her mind is actually sharper than mine - at least on remembering places and dates.
Forgive me - I became sidetracked ... I told wife to take our neused CRV as it has not been driven in a month; anyway, would not start .. just "clicked" when the key was turned. Battery tests at 10.8 volts and stamped 07/14, so that makes it 5 years old - hope I am not looking at a new battery already - but may be? I have the charger on it at the moment

Looking forward to a new month on the Forum -- TERRY ...
Best of luck with the new truck!

I have found in life that only the things that break are those that don't have warranty coverage ------.

Spousal Unit was going out to see her Mom to give her a haircut prior to her birthday party on the 4th! She will be 98! I just don't want to make it there; she is pretty immobile and just really does not want to venture out even for a car ride - her body is kaput, but her mind is actually sharper than mine - at least on remembering places and dates.
Everyone is different. A buddy of mine has been waiting on dad to move on for many years now. He still drives the tractor at 100 years old, although he voluntarily gave up his driver's license about four years ago. Still lives alone and feeds cattle every day. My buddy who's 73, wants dad's collection of mint condition (although dusty) autos from the early to mid 50's, including a '55 Chevy Nomad station wagon, but dad won't let him touch them! Dad won't even let him into the barn any more, fearing that he'll drive one off! Robert probably would if given the chance.:D
Moral is that you may not end up like your MIL. Be optimistic about yourself. I believe in the power of positive drinking.

Spoke with KEN for about 20 minutes. Just a bit nervous but will be in GOOD hands and with all of us with backup prayers rooting for him, will be alright.
Well weather guessers got it wrong. Said 89 but we hit 92 with only 15 minutes of rain. MUGGY as sin.
Wish all pleasant dreams.
PRAYERS and BLESSINGS'
Phil

YOU CAN"T SCARE ME , I HAVE A DAUGHTER

PS. Meant to say ,Ken is like me. In awe of what you guys have posted on here and, like me, a lousy typist.
Phil

ANOTHER FINE DAY RUINED BY RESPONSIBILITY

Yesterday afternoon was a bust We got in the car to run some errands, backed down the drive, put it in Forward gear, and... nothing. Took my foot off the accelerator and the car began creeping slowly forward while the engine idled. Put it in Reverse and stepped on the accelerator and... nothing. Took my foot off the accelerator and the car crept backwards while the engine idled. This went on for a few more times, then I idled the car over to the curb and called for a tow. This being the weekend, I couldn't go with the wrecker to get a loaner, so we're marooned at home until the Courtesy Van comes to get me on Monday.

For those of you who speak Automotive, we drive a 2013 Outback with a CRT transmission. I had been complaining for years about how the car would frequently hesitate before slipping into gear, but always got the same song and dance about how the transmission was different from a conventional transmission, and you had to treat it differently. Now, though, it seems to have finally broken.

Just by coincidence, I called my BIL an hour later and mentioned the car (he drives a 2014 Outback). He then told me that Subaru had extended the warranty on all its CRT transmissions, likely to avoid having to issue a recall; he then emailed me some links to various articles. The extended warranty is 100k miles, and our car has 67k, so it looks like we're covered. But boy, am I pissed! All the time I had been complaining about a known problem but kept getting fobbed off. I've been rehearsing my civility ever since, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it together.

Beady, don't feel bad about your luck with the transmission issue you're experiencing. The first variable Transmissions that GM used were in Saturn's. I work for Saturn during that time and I swear we thought we were going to have to adjust use velcro to install them because we were pulling them out almost as fast as we're putting them in. General Motors, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chrysler excetera excetera excetera oh had issues with this type transmission. Why they keep using them is beyond me, the only reason I can think of is possible fuel economy advantages. next time I buy a new truck it better have a 6-speed manual shift. I'm not a big fan of the new 10-speed automatics in the GM trucks either, if I want a 10-speed I'll buy a Schwinn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back