Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

I thought I had gotten banned from the forums, then I realized I was in last months coffee shop and it was closed to new posts.

Willie I had the same thought "what's wrong with calling them speed bumps?"
The ransom ware attack on Baltimore City has been traced back to the NSA as the origin of the software used. It all could have easily been averted if the former Mayor had followed Stephine Rawlings Blake plan to upgrade the city software. Makes me wonder where that money went? Morale of this story: keep your software up-to-date.

Boris I don't like those NHL broadcasters, to much nonsense and not enough explaining/teaching for novices like me that only watch the finals. If Chuck Thompson had done hockey games I would have a better understanding of the game!
My Birds are fun to watch, other than Davis they don't have no multi-millionaires. Also gone are all the "lazy I could careless" players. They may not have loads of talent but you won't find a team at any level that gives more effort! There has only been a few games this year I did not enjoy watching.
I'm excited about the young catcher they drafted first overall. We have several good bats and arms in the minors already, 4 of the top 100 prospects are in the Orioles farm system and 3 of those are top 40 prospects. Good times are coming!

I wish I was AWOL because I have been busy. I'm still not hitting on all 8 cylinders and I stall out more than I'd like, but I keep getting restarted! When I do feel good I work a few hours and cherry pick my todo list.

I've been doing an occasional "mop-up" route for amazon, packages other drivers failed to deliver or they arrived at the distribution center late. They are easy, drive an hour or two, drop off a few packages and get paid for 4 hours. I'm riding the gravy train! I only wish I could do more.

Inspired by my wife's fasirt I came up with my own recipe for beef meatballs, fried in beef fat. Did I mention I LOVE BEEF and my meatballs are great, but still not as good as my wife's. I like to cook, but I only have the energy to do it a couple of times a week. I've once again become a freeloader.

Speaking of beef it has always been on my list to go to Texas to get a steak. My son-in-law who lived in Texas tells me Costco has beef as good as any in Texas. I still want to go to Texas for a steak. I guess I'm the same as all of us, we are all prone to believing what we want to believe. One look at both sides of the isle in DC proves that.

Sherrel, don't forget your head gear and watch out for the left jab followed by the right hook. At this point in my life I can dance around, I have to fall back on the knockout punch. ;)

Terry, tolls, taxes and other fees are the drug of choice for politicians, regardless of party. Money and getting reelected is all they seem to care about. When it's election time they talk tax cuts. After the election they only cut taxes for people wealthy enough to make big campaign contributions and that's not me.

Now I'm tired sitting at the desk, my couch is calling me. I still can't keep up with every post, forgive me.

I hope and pray each and everyone of you is doing good, God Bless you all!

Have a great day Everybody!

PS my Lionel plug-n-play lighted Christmas house is out for delivery! I don't do anything with my trains, but I keep buying! I told myself "there is always more space for Christmas stuff!"

By the way the weather in Baltimore, upper 50's feels more like Halloween is a month away rather than the 4th of July!

Good morning everyone. 68 and partly cloudy. Chance of rain every day this week.

Nothing to report from the train room. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.

Garry - Yes, Dena is doing fine. thank you for asking. She appears to be cancer-free and perfectly well. She goes for a check-up in July. Hope all is well with you.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Gang. Starting our day with 70° and partly cloudy, warming up to 90° later today. Quite muggy outside with no wind and 93% humidity right now. I'm looking out the window at the pool right now and might just get in. Always a great way to start the day. Good Morning Flo, I'll have a stack of those blueberry pancakes with a couple of sausage patties with my OJ today.

Thanks guys for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Joe, Dave, Jerome, Johnny, Garry, Sherrel, Chet, Justin.

Out in the train shed, I started adding weeds and field grass clumps around the peninsula yesterday. I am also adding additional ground cover to some places. Spent a little more time on the Masonic Lodge, but no progress pictures today. But here a few more of the peninsula project.
06-02-19 004.JPG

06-02-19 012.JPG

And a shot of two non-rail served industries that haven't actually been decided on yet, view from the rear as the front on shot is too blurred. To the left is a machine shop and the right is a plating company.
06-02-19 011.JPG

Joe - I really like these laser-cut wood structures and enjoy building them. However there are limitations on where I can realistically use them. I would like to use more of them, but many of the more expensive ones like Fine Scale Miniatures and South River Model Works would be so out of place in my modeling locale.
Dave -
Willie, your new large buildings look much more at home with the grass area done
Slowly but surely it's coming together.
Johnny -
Willie - How wide are your peninsulas? Can you reach the middle from each side?
That particular peninsula and the one under it are the only ones that I have. They are 66" across. I can barely but comfortably reach the centers and of course need a stepstool for the upper one. I only need to reach the center to do scenery and later for cleaning; all railroading activity is within 16" of the edge. I do not put any tall scenery, structures or details between the layout edge and any ground throws or uncoupling points, thus avoiding disasters. Additionally, none of my structures are anchored so they may be easily removed if needed. I do have "locating posts", very short pieces of toothpicks inserted in holes, to assist in stabilizing and consistent locating of all large structures.
Garry - Regarding the MIA's. I am sometimes disappointed that some interesting modelers just disappear. We all know that there are numerous members who just sign up and ask one question and disappear, but it's the ones that post for a couple of months (or years) that I tend to miss. There are a couple who used to regularly visit the Coffee Shop but stopped and at least still post elsewhere. Ironically, one member that I miss is Bruce (new guy), whose unorthodox views were a great counter-point to our accepted norms. I think that he will show back up some day, just don't know when.
Chet - Pond is coming along nicely. My next project is going to be a much smaller one than the peninsula, but they all have to be done eventually.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all, 66 and hazy sunshine. gonna be in the 80's all week,

Justin-- thanks for yet another view of the cool depot

Louis-- bizarre about your temps in Baltimore

Willie, did those roads just go in or did I not notice them? Are they painted on or sheet rock mud or something else?

Chet-- the new scene looks great. Don't want to cover up the sun bathers

THANK you all for the comments on the photos

Here is todays shot of the working inside the sawmill, should be more than two men running this show, there would probably be some more men when they load the logs on the carriage:

layout11 017.JPG

notice the board on the outfeed rollers. I cut into the log a little so the blade would be exposed, doesn't really show up, however.

more later, Dave

Another cloudy/foggy Morning to start with at 60 degrees - going to 78 - last year 86 - record of 97 in 2016.

CURT/ Beady - Best wishes for your Moms! Sorry to hear of their aging problems; it all gives us thought for our own mortality.
CHET - Great looking photos - //that really makes a nice scene - it all really catches your eye.
Willie - The stripes on the parking lot look weathered - nice!
Justin - good to see you poking your head around the holler again!
Dave (LASM) - nice shot of the sawmill. I remember a couple just like that growing up with 4-5 foot sawblades and driven via belt drive with an AllisChalmers engine.
LOIS - nice to see you here this morning. NOT going to get in the ring with you! Even in your condition I imagine that you could still pound me to a pulp! Hang in there, buddy.
TERRY - It's to the point of surrender out here with the license fees. I waited until the last minute to pay the tag on the RV - It's the least driven vehicle, but a whopping $630.00 a year! With the other vehicles I have now - total is $1000 a year. A couple toll roads out here are about $1.00 a mile - I try and stay away from them except the one to Newport - daughters home - which would require added milage and time to go around. Really hate to think about it, but since we bought the RV and making the few trips that we have - my outflow is exceeding my inflow by a little over $1000 a month ...not good!

Good late morning all. At 10 a.m. it's already 88* and heading to 95* they claim. Good chance of rain which we really need.

DAVE- Enlarge the picture, use a magnifier and squint and you can see the blade.
Wish all a good day. Prayers and Blessings ,
Phil

WOW !! Beautiful. Thanks Capt. Must have come from one of the oil fields in OK. Thats what the license plate indicates.

Washer signaled, Back later.
Phil

Good Morning Everyone.....sort of overcast and some rain coming here in my part of Wisconsin.

Just home from the hospital from a blood test and I passed and then off to the hardware store. The Mrs. is at Hobby Lobby to purchase more oil and acrylic paints for my weathering projects.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my recent posts and photographs.

Chet:
Great photo of your club's East Yard. I need to join a club with a large layout!!!

Sherrel:
Nice truck...it reminds me of my '34 Chevy pickup truck that had only 51k miles when I purchased it in the early 70's for $500. It was yellow also. Sold it for only $500 after a summer or two of fun.

Today, "plant" lily pads in the second wet area and I'll try to take some photos of this project. I have to get the layout ready for a visitor from Tennessee who hasn't seen the layout and may think I'm crazy when he hears I still play with trains.

Going to bite the bullet and get a walker/chair combo to use at swap meets and TrainFest. I have a bad back that when walking my back "can" spasm and I can't walk or stand for a few moments to a minute and the chair part will provide a spot to sit down in a hurray, but I don't need the walker part of the device. Need to find one in Milwaukee Road colors and a diesel horn.

Off to the layout...

Greg

###################

Another cloudy/foggy Morning to start with at 60 degrees - going to 78 - last year 86 - record of 97 in 2016.

CURT/ Beady - Best wishes for your Moms! Sorry to hear of their aging problems; it all gives us thought for our own mortality.
CHET - Great looking photos - //that really makes a nice scene - it all really catches your eye.
Willie - The stripes on the parking lot look weathered - nice!
Justin - good to see you poking your head around the holler again!
Dave (LASM) - nice shot of the sawmill. I remember a couple just like that growing up with 4-5 foot sawblades and driven via belt drive with an AllisChalmers engine.
LOIS - nice to see you here this morning. NOT going to get in the ring with you! Even in your condition I imagine that you could still pound me to a pulp! Hang in there, buddy.
TERRY - It's to the point of surrender out here with the license fees. I waited until the last minute to pay the tag on the RV - It's the least driven vehicle, but a whopping $630.00 a year! With the other vehicles I have now - total is $1000 a year. A couple toll roads out here are about $1.00 a mile - I try and stay away from them except the one to Newport - daughters home - which would require added milage and time to go around. Really hate to think about it, but since we bought the RV and making the few trips that we have - my outflow is exceeding my inflow by a little over $1000 a month ...not good!
The more I see of the 90s, the less I like them. My MIL is also in her 90s (96), and is very much like Mom. The physical deterioration doesn't bother me so much as the slow-motion mental breakdowns I've been witnessing. I'm not necessarily talking something like Alzheimers, but things like raging paranoia and... Well, for example, Mom has become convinced that the Measles vaccine caused my grandson's autism and her sister's mental retardation (forget that there was no measles vaccine in the early 1930s). Then, when I showed her a 17th-century Spanish coin I bought on our last cruise, she launched into a story of how it could have been captured by my pirate great-great grandfather (you don't have to be a math wiz to figure it out). MIL, meanwhile, is convinced that "They" want to evict her from her rent-controlled Senior apartment so that "They" can charge more rent, and refuses to spend money to hire the home's medical assistance staff even though she's wheelchair-bound. I keep trying to figure out a way to avoid getting to that point, myself; I value logic and critical thinking, and the idea of losing that is abhorrent. Overt suicide isn't an option, I'm more the type to intentionally place myself out of reach of any kind of assistance or hope of recovery. Oh well, there's a lot of time before I have to actually consider it. Meanwhile, there's trains, maple syrup, pizza, travel, outrageous spending on absolute frivolities, Legos, playing Cowboy... For now, Life is pretty good.

Gregg, be sure to get a walker with a storage area under the seat. Plenty of room for locomotives.

What is it with these states that charge property tax on cars? I've lived "permanently" in three states (Michigan, Alaska and Vermont) and none of them has charged more than the initial sales tax and annual license renewal (Michigan nowadays is ~$145).

BTW, regarding vacation travel, we stay in motels. Pro-rated, they're much, much cheaper than the purchase price, maintenance and fuel for an RV, plus they're more comfortable and convenient (no storage fees, etc). True, there's the daily packing and unpacking to consider, but that's hardly an inconvenience, especially when measured against other considerations.

Oops! I almost forgot:
FB_IMG_1559409927267.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know which is worse ? Watching a parent going down hill or getting a 3:30 a.m. phone call from the police to get to your Mothers home to identify her.
Been there-done that. No fun.

Phil
BEADY- You edited while I was writing. WalMart is a great place to SIGHT see and gag. Keeps food purchases down.

Last edited:
Sherrel and Beady: Here's one that similar that I am looking at....my wife found one that is stripped down for under $70 at Costco. No hand brakes or front bag for me.

1559675525494.png

Beady: Seat storage for locomotives or beer.

I have a portable chair that works, but is very heavy and uncomfortable to sit on. I also considered a Ice Fishing stool that I could carry.

Greg

Greg

Good evening. It's sunny and 78.

The Post Office delivered all our mail from last week, today. Among the items was my property tax bill for my truck. A truck, y'all might remember, that's approaching two years old. Imagine my surprise when I saw my property tax had increased by nearly $150 for this year, even though the truck's tax value had decreased by nearly $6000. The property tax had gone up $3.50 for the trailer, even though its value had dropped to $500 this year from $1200 last year.
I'm also appealing the car's property tax value, which is stated at $10,000, even though I only paid $6500 for it from a licensed dealer. The way that works here is, you pay the tax, then file an appeal. If they decide they overcharged you, they'll send you a check for the overcharge. Not surprisingly, there are very few refund checks sent out.
Where I live I have never heard of a property tax bill for vehicles?

From the sound of things, we all seem to be getting a lot more rain than normal. Yesterday, we had a full 12 hours of thunderstorms roll through, heading from Wisconsin to Ohio. Otherwise, I think we've had at least a shower every 24 hours for the last month. It's going to be hell for mosquitoes, as soon as they begin hatching (when temps finally hit 80°+).

PS: The thunderstorms caused a power surge at one point late last night which, in turn, tripped the dam break/evacuation alarm in the city. Today, local Facebook groups are full of people asking what it was, or saying they hadn't heard it. Think about that.
Sorry about the storms. My parents always taught us to share, so I was just doing my part to help the farmers to the east. :p

The more I see of the 90s, the less I like them. My MIL is also in her 90s (96), and is very much like Mom. The physical deterioration doesn't bother me so much as the slow-motion mental breakdowns I've been witnessing. I'm not necessarily talking something like Alzheimers, but things like raging paranoia and... Well, for example, Mom has become convinced that the Measles vaccine caused my grandson's autism and her sister's mental retardation (forget that there was no measles vaccine in the early 1930s). Then, when I showed her a 17th-century Spanish coin I bought on our last cruise, she launched into a story of how it could have been captured by my pirate great-great grandfather (you don't have to be a math wiz to figure it out). MIL, meanwhile, is convinced that "They" want to evict her from her rent-controlled Senior apartment so that "They" can charge more rent, and refuses to spend money to hire the home's medical assistance staff even though she's wheelchair-bound. I keep trying to figure out a way to avoid getting to that point, myself; I value logic and critical thinking, and the idea of losing that is abhorrent. Overt suicide isn't an option, I'm more the type to intentionally place myself out of reach of any kind of assistance or hope of recovery. Oh well, there's a lot of time before I have to actually consider it. Meanwhile, there's trains, maple syrup, pizza, travel, outrageous spending on absolute frivolities, Legos, playing Cowboy... For now, Life is pretty good.

Gregg, be sure to get a walker with a storage area under the seat. Plenty of room for locomotives.

What is it with these states that charge property tax on cars? I've lived "permanently" in three states (Michigan, Alaska and Vermont) and none of them has charged more than the initial sales tax and annual license renewal (Michigan nowadays is ~$145).

BTW, regarding vacation travel, we stay in motels. Pro-rated, they're much, much cheaper than the purchase price, maintenance and fuel for an RV, plus they're more comfortable and convenient (no storage fees, etc). True, there's the daily packing and unpacking to consider, but that's hardly an inconvenience, especially when measured against other considerations.

Oops! I almost forgot:
View attachment 37064
Remember, the people in your photo slept in the bed you’re going to sleep in at the motel.

I wished that the people at my Walmart store looked that good!

I realize that the RV is a lot of extra expense, however the convenience of taking the pets with us (60 bucks a day for boarding) plus not having to hunt for eats or a late/early cup of coffee, plus (LOL) the ability to pee when needed says a lot.

Sherrel and Beady: Here's one that similar that I am looking at....my wife found one that is stripped down for under $70 at Costco. No hand brakes or front bag for me.

View attachment 37065

Beady: Seat storage for locomotives or beer.

I have a portable chair that works, but is very heavy and uncomfortable to sit on. I also considered a Ice Fishing stool that I could carry.

Greg

Greg
Yup, that's what Mom and MIL use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back