Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

New spam filter device can in yesterday. I'll be glad to not continually have to reboot the darn thing after it comes in. Now I'm waiting on a video cable as they just couldn't put a standard video type cable on it, so cable is ordered and the new device is delayed getting into the rack.

I did run some trains last night, but no building painting. I've got to get the ties painted yet so I can spread ballast. I'm still not sure how I want to layout a town or industry, although I do have a side track on the opposite side of the bench work from the yard. I'd thought of putting a passenger station there, and I still can and have a split building industry (like the ones some of you guys build open to the viewing side). That's going too take a little more thought.

Hey Joe. My daughter and her family are leaving Friday, headed for the State of New Jersey. They're going to the southern part near Philadelphia, specifically to Marlton near Cherry Hill. Against my advice by the way. They are driving. Is there likely to be any issues with them having Texas license plates going into your state? They are leaving Friday. They will mainly be staying with my SIL's parents both in Marlton and their beach house somewhere near by.

Possibly, who knows? Seriously, the electronic roadside signs message that all people entering from out of state must call 5-1-1 for state specific quarantine regulations. Whether there are road stops or not, I don't know. Our state government is obsessed with enforcing all sorts of dumb regulations, unless you are going to the beach or are a protester. Went to get a haircut the other day, and the shop had to hire a reception person, primarily to check temperatures upon entry.

Best guess, time it for the commuter hours, and use 295 instead of the turnpike to Marlton (Rt 73).

Good Morning All. Clear and 78°, no rain in sight today. Closest it comes is up near Patrick in northern OK and southern KS. Misted and drizzled most of the morning yesterday, skies never cleared later on.
Short and sweet this morning, as I have a dermatologist follow-up at 0845, prior to the weekly grocery/beer trek.

Light breakfast this morning Flo, just a bear claw and OJ for me.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Mopac, Patrick, Guy, Karl, Sherrel, Tom O, Phil, James, Bunker, Jerome, Curt, Garry, Justin, Tom.
Finished up that local switching run yesterday, dropping off those two loads at the beverage supply company.
First, pulling the two empties out.
07-29-20 006.JPG

Whoops! Didn't get a shot of the loaded cars in place.
Then over to the grain elevator to gather up the three loaded covered hoppers.
07-29-20 008.JPG

In go the empties.
07-29-20 010.JPG

Then the runaround and reassemble the train. Crew moves to the other engine for the return trip.
07-29-20 011.JPG

Before leaving town, they wait on the siding for a northbound intermodal to pass.
07-29-20 012.JPG

After this sequence, I removed the "nameless" grain elevator to finally add signs to it.
Before.
07-29-20 017.JPG

After.
07-30-20 004.JPG

The Red River Valley and the Feed & Seed decals were extremely old and the first RRV one literally dissolved in the water. I sprayed the second set with dull coat, something I read about here, let them dry and that worked as you can see. First time that I have tried that. Looks like a keeper. I also added the lightning rods to the roof.
Seem to be out of that modeling funk yesterday. Meanwhile I also cleaned up the layout room a bit.

Sherrel - Congratulations to your daughter.
Curt - Good luck with the grandsons.
Bunker - Too bad about having to remove that wonderful Santa Fe paint scheme from the GP9.:(
Garry - Cataract surgery is on hold while I wait for my wife to decide what she's going to do about her knee. Doctor is supposedly the best in the area, but most patients (and the optometrist's staff as well) complain about his office staff being rude!
Steven - Happy Birthday.
Joe - Thanks.
Terry/Sherrel - Thanks.

In keeping with the food celebrations, today is National Cheesecake Day and National Chili Dog Day. Enjoy both although not necessarily in that order!
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from the deck in Wisconsin. The weather app says 68 and heavy fog. Being on the deck the 68 seems generous and fog, what fog? Beautiful wispy clouds and great sunshine for the 50 minutes I have been out there. It may hit 80 today, huge change from the last 3 weeks of heat and oppressive humidit. 3 closets done, cleaned up and ready to be re-loaded done. 6 more to go starting back on Monday. L1500 rolling slowly on the main through the Paper Mill complex, heading to the PM’s yard and Ethanol plant. Enjoy your day. TomO
3A2D1BB4-9FD2-49DD-A9F4-984147338BA5.jpeg

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. My dad is slowly recovering from his illness. He's not 100% as of right now but he is home so it's a plus. Finally started upgrading my caboose fleet. Will be going away from my blue box. Recieved my atlas chessie caboose through the snail mail. Took long enough to get here but worth the wait.
20200729_072028.jpg

Its definitely not a blue box kit that's for sure. I also stumbled onto a product. I saw a ballasting tutorial and this was the product used. Has anyone used this?
20200729_072504.jpg

That's all I have for now. I'll try to stop in later if I can.

Good Morning, Everyone!
Thunder, lightning, and rain was the story for most of the night! Luckily, the storms are only coming at night, leaving the daylight hours to be quite pleasant. Looking out the window, I can see broken cloud moving slowly across a beautiful blue sky; no wind. It's going to be a great day with a high not exceeding 75F.
I'm so happy, I believe I'll do an extra nice job with cutting the lawn this morning, paying attention to the trimming.
Both my cherry and apple trees are offering bountiful crops this year, but, the plum tree is once again void of fruit. That tree requires a mate, and sadly, the neighborhood does not offer such.

I'm going for eggs over easy with ham and toast, this morning. And I'm going to have at least a couple of coffee refills before the heat sets in.

After I cut the lawn and troop down to the bank, I'm planning on working on the CN 3rd class depot in the coolness of the basement. Late last night, I set the parts out in preparation for today. This depot will be entirely scratch built out of balsa, and have a stucco exterior. The windows, doors, and chimney will be Tichy. - I've collected everything I need, and now just get down and build it. I figure I require the depot before I can continue with my module in confidence. It, with it's ramp will decide the final lay of the land on the module.

You know me; I just won't post unless I can offer a photo; and I'm running low on those. I need to get out and take some more industry and local CN photographs.
Today, I can only offer a photo similar to the ones I've recently posted. The only difference is that todays photo is a bit more emotional, being taken on a cool October morning. Just another angle on the pulp-n-paper industry:
Operations.jpg

And, here's a photo to cool you off a-bit. If you are modelling snowy streets, you will need to get this type of equipment:
Snow_02-21-2020 .jpg

Imagine, that photo was taken a mere 5 months ago!

Justin - I'm glad you're dad is recovering. Like I said, it's going to be a great day!

Stay safe, Stay Happy, Stay Modelling!

Well, as RAY would say, G'day!
Another sleepless night - forgot to take all my necessary meds yesterday and was up 6 times during a 6 hour bedtime to traipse to the bathroom! Finally said to heck with it and stumbled out of the rack at 5 AM.

FLO, G'day to you and Francine too! How about eggs scrambled with sausage, grits, and gravy - a coke to drink with that, please!
Steven - Big Happy Birthday to you this morning ... hope the day is good too you!
Justin - Glad to hear that your Dad is better. The cab sure is brightly colored - blinding!
TOMo - Very nice shot of the short lashup of cars - very nice action and background.
CURT - I do not envy the job that you have ahead of you! How old are the "buggers"?
Willie - I like the grain elevator and the signage you put on it. I like to see the elevators with lots of different roof angles. Whose kit is that, or is it scratch?
GUY -Your snow covered street remings me of the Silverton, Co days when my street was plowed and my car/truck buryed - literally! Would take me hours to dig them out.

It is supposed to be 103 here today - I may not leave the comfort of the A/C. Amazing that people were able to function before the days of A/C?
Later, guys ... I see my meal has arrived!

Good Morning Everyone.....perfect day here in Wisconsin.

The blower motor in my Chevy Silverado was making a lot of noise so I drove it over to the dealer this morning for an inspection. The Tech found rodent damage to the blower along with a dead mouse in the housing and the cabin filter damaged by mice with a lot of bird seed and mouse poop. Along with this damage, the mice ruined some of the wiring for a total of $700.00.

Guess with trips to the dealer and cleaning up the bird seed off the garage floor that I keep telling the Mrs. the seed will attract mice, my day is over without trains.

That's all for now and out to the garage.

Greg

PS: The Mrs. buys 100# of bird seed every two weeks.

Afternoon all.
So something funny (funny odd as opposed to funny humorous) while MU my Broadway limited SD45-2's. CV-29 is what determines direction and is usually set at 38. If you want to change which end is forward you can change CV-29 to 39. So my Delaware & Hudson RS-3 are 4103 & 4108, with 4108 (CV-39) MU'd to 4103 (CV-38). they have run short hood to short hood since I've had them. View attachment 115721Now for the odd part. I set BLI 8113 to CV-39. The aim was for long hood to long hood. 8043 is set CV-38. Before MU'ing both engines went in the same direction, perfect. MU'd 8113 to 8043 and a tug of war ensued. After removing MU, I changed 8113 back to CV-38. Now before MU'ing they went in opposite direction, again perfect. MU'd 8113 to 8043 and they both went in the same direction. It appears MU'ing actually changes the direction of BLI engines. So in the photo CSX 8048 and 8113 are both CV-38
D&H CV29.jpg

CSX CV29.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has found BLI engines to be different than other brands?

Afternoon All,

Started out with the first part of the monthly grocery trip. Walmart on Saturday :(. After lunch I took off the plywood on the TT end wired in a buss extension for the TT tracks and connected the switch to turn it off and on. After putting things back together I started to figure out the engine facilities. I'll continue working on that tomorrow.

It was driven home today that nothing personal should be placed on the internet. A member of this forum (I don't know who that lives in Clermont) evidently put enough together (or knows me or my daughter personally) to figure out who I was talking about the other day, told the Ex-wife of a very good family friend, who told that friend who called daughter about it. Daughter did not want them to know. Most of the blame is on me, but it was sure nice of that modeler to blab about it. So guess what?...I will only be posting very generic personal things if anything.

Bunker- I look forward to seeing your progress.

Tom- Nice job on the hopper.

Steven- Happy Birthday.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

TomO- Painting closets are a pain in the butt. Nice layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

It's officially my Birthday, but we are celebrating on Saturday. Grandson is coming over for a visit, so it's going to be a great day!

Happy Birthday, Steven! Hope you enjoy your day, and have a great

Bunker - Too bad about having to remove that wonderful Santa Fe paint scheme from the GP9.:(

It's funny. You're the second person to tell me that, Willie! Unfortunately, it didn't fit with my aesthetic, so it has to go. Darned thing really is putting up a fight, though. May need to abandon the Denatured Alcohol route and try something else. Anyone know what active ingredient in Oven Cleaner works as a paint stripper? I want to make sure I buy the right type.

Cheers, everyone! The weekend is starting early for me, and Bob and Doug are headed home in a couple days!

Happy Birthday, Steven! Hope you enjoy your day, and have a great

It's funny. You're the second person to tell me that, Willie! Unfortunately, it didn't fit with my aesthetic, so it has to go. Darned thing really is putting up a fight, though. May need to abandon the Denatured Alcohol route and try something else. Anyone know what active ingredient in Oven Cleaner works as a paint stripper? I want to make sure I buy the right type.

Cheers, everyone! The weekend is starting early for me, and Bob and Doug are headed home in a couple days!

Bunker—if the percentage is not 91 or better I have not had success stripping paint from shells. Good luck.

TomO

Howdy ....

Steven .... Happy Birthday ...

Willie .... Sorry your wife has knee problems, and hope she will be okay. Good you have a good doctor available for possible cat act surgery. I like seeing the activity on your layout.

Curt ..... You layout progress is looking good. I see a turntable will be part of it.

Hughie .... your layout looks good.

Guy .... That is a lot of snow in your photo.

Sherrel .... I hope you sleep better tonight.

Everybody ...... Have a nice evening.

Bunker—if the percentage is not 91 or better I have not had success stripping paint from shells. Good luck.

TomO

Tom. I'm not sure what the percentage is as it isn't labeled on the can, but the fact that it is being sold as Marine Stove Fuel makes me think it has a very minimal water content unless methanol counts as a dilutant.

Thank you, though! I'm trying Castrol Super Clean now!

Afternoon all.
So something funny (funny odd as opposed to funny humorous) while MU my Broadway limited SD45-2's. CV-29 is what determines direction and is usually set at 38. If you want to change which end is forward you can change CV-29 to 39. So my Delaware & Hudson RS-3 are 4103 & 4108, with 4108 (CV-39) MU'd to 4103 (CV-38). they have run short hood to short hood since I've had them. View attachment 115721Now for the odd part. I set BLI 8113 to CV-39. The aim was for long hood to long hood. 8043 is set CV-38. Before MU'ing both engines went in the same direction, perfect. MU'd 8113 to 8043 and a tug of war ensued. After removing MU, I changed 8113 back to CV-38. Now before MU'ing they went in opposite direction, again perfect. MU'd 8113 to 8043 and they both went in the same direction. It appears MU'ing actually changes the direction of BLI engines. So in the photo CSX 8048 and 8113 are both CV-38
View attachment 115723
View attachment 115722
I was wondering if anyone else has found BLI engines to be different than other brands?
Check the owner's manual for your BLI engines. It specifies the CV number and value depending on what position in the consist the engine is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back