Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with inside chores and a guy came over and cleaned our driveway (money well spent in this heat). Afterwards I was directed to chauffer MOH downtown to a oriental market. After getting back I was able to get the new (for me) base station up and running and remotely control a loco on a test track via my DT402D throttle. :). All I have left to do with the DCC system is add 2 more UP5 power supplies and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. On the wiring front all that is left to do is wire the 2nd reverse loop buss for a wye. The PSX-AR is already installed.

I watched the moon landing with my family on TV at home. It was one of those days you never forget where you were. They're usually bad things but this was awesome and I was never prouder to be a American.

Justin- Nice haul. And NO, you can never have too many locos:D.

James- That is a lot of hard work.

TomO- Nice scene.

Chad- I believe the charter schools run like yours do here.

Willie- Nice buildings. The trading post reminds me of traveling across the country in a car as a kid in the 60's.

View attachment 115369

CA Dave:

View attachment 115370

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thanks for reposting it, look like
you have plenty of operation planned in, very good

Good morning....Off today so Flo could I have coffee, eggs over medium, hash browns and a side of corn beef. I'm hungry this morning.
In the wonderful world of trains there's nothing to report. I'll start back up in the fall, for now it's just buying supplies and stockpiling them for later.

Morning all,

Getting the initial round of backups running again. Once I get my 2 primary data centers communicating again, it then begins the process of going to the DRC (disaster recovery center). When I started there were only the 2 data centers with backup copies of each others active servers. I got a 3rd host and copied the replica copied to that data center (which is the one we lost). Oh well one step at a time.....it's going slower than I'd like, but some of these servers are terabytes in size.

I do have time for a double stack of blueberry pancakes and bacon, coffee and don't forget the maple syrup. Thanks Flo.
It is supposed to get into the mid-90's today with feels like in the low-100's all weekend.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 75° here this morning. Not much change in the forecast, hot, dry and afternoon winds for the next few days. Staying in the low 90's though. Not a lot of action yesterday on the weekly grocery/beer trek. Eggs are about 35% less this week than a week ago, 99¢ for an 18 carton that was $1.49 last week. Not that it matters to me since I use plastic, but our Kroger does not give change any more. And there is a US Mint about 35 miles away in Ft Worth! Interesting that now that masks are mandatory in public places in Texas, everyone is wearing one. Previously when they were optional, we only had about a 75% compliance. Somewhat unnerving is seeing a big burly man who believes in "open carry", wearing a mask in the grocery store.

Hash browns, sausage and two eggs over easy over here this morning Flo.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday; Karl, Patrick, Guy, Tom O, Phil, Tom, Chet.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I only ran trains for over two hours. I think that all loco engineers got a workout.
Here's a pair of ScaleTrains Dash9-44CW's with a NB container train, waiting on the passing siding in Charlottesville until a spot opens up in the intermodal yard (off-layout). Container trains rarely take the passing siding on my layout unless there is no room in the staging yard. In this case, the longer tracks that this train needed were both occupied. If it was powered by four axle units (normally GP60's), it would have fit on any track.
07-24-20 002.JPG

So the dispatcher takes advantage of the open track and sends a unit grain train south on the main.
07-24-20 003.JPG

07-24-20 004.JPG

It's headed up with an Athearn GP40X, #3800 and an Athearn GP50 #3841.
07-24-20 005.JPG

Meanwhile over in Vernon, we have a mixed freight waiting on the SB passing siding headed up with a pair of Athearn Dash9-44CW's.
07-24-20 006.JPG

Karl/Louis/Chad - Thanks for the LED feedback. Memories are now coming back!
Garry - Very nice historical pictures from the museum.
Not much else to comment on this morning, since I eschewed sports about 15 years ago, and TV in general about 25 years ago. Although I still occasionally glance at hockey games if my wife has them on. Don't follow it, but still like the action. I even gave up on NASCAR!

National Tequila Day is today. Get those Margarita machines going.
Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Joe & Tom O- what’s your thoughts on this NHL news from today?

View attachment 115486
View attachment 115487
Mike: Interesting. The logos are kind of cool. I'm not all that enthused by their naming the team for of a legendary Scandinavian Sea Monster, but OTOH, it's no worse than the Devils, named for a legendary Pine Barrens monster. I wonder if the league will allow Seattle to stock their team like Vegas, a couple of years ago?

Good morning from the deck in So. Central Wisconsin. A beautiful day already and I got my 1st 2 mile walk of the day in at 6. I was up and Terry was sleeping so off I went, will head out with her for another in about 30 minutes. Stayed out of the train room yesterday which is rare if we are home. Maybe today as I want to finish weathering the 1st 6 roll on/off dumpsters. Pictured is an older Front end Friday (FEF) picture. GP40-2w Athearn Genesis with Locsound 4 decoder and weather by Rob at WeatherMyTrains.com. Have a great day, TomO
3BCD4DB1-F84E-4024-9942-A99E8D0422DB.jpeg

Mike: Interesting. The logos are kind of cool. I'm not all that enthused by their naming the team for of a legendary Scandinavian Sea Monster, but OTOH, it's no worse than the Devils, named for a legendary Pine Barrens monster. I wonder if the league will allow Seattle to stock their team like Vegas, a couple of years ago?

I am not a fan of this expansion at this time. I know it’s money in the pocket for owners and isn’t shared with the players under the previous CBA so it is understandable why they did it. The logo, especially with the integration of the Space needle is really cool. If they don’t follow the same expansion team stocking that Vegas did, the owners of the Craken would be real dumb asses. Still you need competent management and Vegas most definitely had that. I am not enthralled with Seattle’s GM. Retreads do Not always forget their old ways.

TomO

Good morning, and Happy Friday y'all! It's cloudy, but the all night rain seems to have stopped. Going to run up to HD today, and pick up a new 25W soldering iron. Not much else going on.

Baby faces crossing Delaware.jpg

Photo of CNJ "Baby Faced" baldwins going over what I believe is the Delaware River, between Phillipsburg, NJ and Easton, PA. back in the '50s. These were 1500 HP units. The successor model was the Shark Nosed 1500 HP RF15 model.
B&O 4100.jpg

Howdy ....

Thanks, everybody, for likes and comments for my photos of Britsh Railway Museum. It was good to see the replica of the world's first steam locomotive.

Willie .... More great photos from you ! I especially like the Santa Fe red and silver paint scheme.

Joe .... I know that type of Baldwin was called "baby faced", but I don't know why. It does not resemble a baby in my opinion.

Tom O .... Nice photo of CN 9468.

I'm running trains. ..... Here is a freight train with P2K GN Alcos I have owned for many years.

50146754787_8340afcc94_h.jpg

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Its friday again. Seems all my orders are on the snail mail. 3 of which are still in michigan.....been there for the past few days. Kinda irritating seeing as I placed these orders at the close of the weekend. I suppose I have no other choice but to hurry up and wait. Decided to go with athearn gears. Order two packs of gears for the price of one a line set. And when I went to dig up info I came up with nothing. Everyone does the athearn gear upgrade for the P2K locomotives. So I'll stick with athearn gears. That's all I have for now.

Mike, not thrilled. As usual with expansion there aren’t enough good players for all these teams. 4th liners on many current teams should not be in an elite league. But, money speaks to team owners and the previous CBA that the league operated on says the franchise fee does not count as league income. The name of the team is fine, the logo with the Seattle Space Needle is nice but still nothing compares to the sweaters the Black Hawks wear.

TomO

Joe .... I know that type of Baldwin was called "baby faced", but I don't know why. It does not resemble a baby in my opinion.

Garry: Must have been based on an ugly baby ;). I can't see it either. I prefer the Shark Nose design, which was somewhat based on the PRR T1 Duplex Steamer.

nothing compares to the sweaters the Black Hawks wear.
Tom: Agreed. I still have a Chris Chelios home sweater, from the 90s. Hope the hawks are not the next target of the politically correct crowd.
The Devils current home sweater is great, but the concept of a Pine Barrens monster is a tad preposterous. BTW: The state requires a semester long course on the Jersey Devil legend in all public schools for the fourth grade students...

Afternoon All,

Did some pool maintenance then cleaned out the pool gutter (the rest have a leaf cover), did a couple of small handyman chores inside then went to Lowes for plywood with son for lift support :p. He was thrilled. I purchased 6 sheets of 15/32 sanded plywood. Base price was $35 a sheet but with my military discount it was just shy of $31. I had them cut 4 boards into 4x4's and 2 boards to 5x4 and 3x4. The larger pieces are for the ends of the layout. I'll most likely need more but this will get me started.

Garry- Great photos. The British steamers always look so unique. I laughed at the horse picture. I think it would work better to just let the horse walk between the rails. Great loooking FA's.

CA Dave- Thank you. Yes I'm getting antsy to really run something.

Willie- Nice motive power. Although I remember the war bonnet design on their passenger trains as a kid, I actually like the blue & yellow color scheme better.

TomO- Nice photo.

Joe- Nice photos also.

Justin- I recently had a order that took 5 days from Detroit to Indianapolis.

Here's a photo after the room was picked up and cleaned.

20200723_135034.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Same rules as the VGK expansion draft.
I am not a fan of this expansion at this time. I know it’s money in the pocket for owners and isn’t shared with the players under the previous CBA so it is understandable why they did it. The logo, especially with the integration of the Space needle is really cool. If they don’t follow the same expansion team stocking that Vegas did, the owners of the Craken would be real dumb asses. Still you need competent management and Vegas most definitely had that. I am not enthralled with Seattle’s GM. Retreads do Not always forget their old ways.

TomO

We knew that, when they expanded to Vegas, that a 32nd team to balance out the 2 conferences. As far as logos go, I’m kind of partial to the flying P crest of the Orange & Black.

Last edited:
Sherrel, are you watching the Orioles and Red Sox? The Orioles’ starting pitcher has an 87MPH fastball and 3 pitches (slider, change up and curve) 80MPH or below. The Red Sox have a 100MPH fireballer on the mound!

The Birds had 3 good at bats in the top of the first.

The Red Sox look confused with 2 Ks in the bottom of the first!

I hope this keeps up! Update: It has not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back