Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepson passed on May 15 and it's been nothing but banks, courts, and lawyers since. I just started fixing everything at our house and all of a sudden we have another house that needs the same. We sold it this week and I'm so happy it's gone. At 74 I didn't need a second house to take care of. Maybe now I can get back to playing some golf and model railroading. I found out one thing you cannot stop any automatic bank payments until someone becomes the executor of the estate which takes forever with the virus going on. The bank can't even let you know what bills are being paid. As long as there's money in the account the automatic payments keep going, Phone, Cable TV whatever. Just wasted money being paid out..
George
That's why we refuse to do them. Every time someone suggest we do this, my wife tells them politely to get stuffed.

I just received word that I'm getting a refund from MLB for the 102 games not played this year, as well as coverage for the shortened season. I probably won't bother with any of the games, unless I'm really bored. I get a refund, because I cancelled automatic renewal,or they would have applied it to next season. At least they are making good, for the lost season, which is more than I can say for the NHL.

Louis:
Enjoy the Baseball Season, you can follow the Mets... You won't get the O's or Nats, because of the dopey blackout rules, and Saturday Fox and TBS games are blacked out. Gotta protect the cable and TV networks.
Joe- we decided to let the MLB credit rollover towards our 2021 subscription. Less we have to pay out next year.

Don’t forget about the ESPN, YouTube & Facebook Live games. Those are exclusive, too, & not available on MLB.TV.

Good Morning Everyone.......sunny here in this part of Wisconsin. Could use some rain.

Trip to the hospital (clinic) today and then out for dinner which ruins anytime for model railroading.

Sherrel: You're correct about losing all interest in major league sports. I don't need watch them to see various politic and other agendas presented before, during or after the game. It should be sports and only sports related. The police brutality stickers now being allowed on NFL helmets this season was pushed me over the edge. I guess not watching any professional teams and maybe include college sports now that they want to pay college players, I'll have more time for model railroading.

It's been taking since April to get credit for two cable boxes we returned to ATT. It still isn't resolved and we're paying for boxes we don't have or use.

MikeInHub City: Mike, I heard from a friend that there's a good model railroading hobby shop in Marshfield. Is this true?

My MR&T caboose should arrive today or maybe tomorrow.

That's all for now.

Greg

#################

Can't be the same without ESKAY, eh
National Hotdog Day!!! I know what I am having for dinner!!! Thank you, Willie!!!
View attachment 115439

101E9452-9225-4797-A00C-C5C834771E42.jpeg

Make mine Wentzel’s, please. Made on the southside(E 29th St) here in beautiful Marshfield, WI.

Don’t forget about the ESPN, YouTube & Facebook Live games. Those are exclusive, too, & not available on MLB.TV.

That's why the MLB TV is not a great value. OTOH, Cablevision's sports surcharge is close to$20 a month, plus you need the sports package, another $12.95, to access NBCSN, NHL Network, and Fox Sports 2. If I had not cut the cable, (except internet), I would be paying over $300 / month for "Value" plus sports. They even surcharge the broadcast channels I get over the air. I'm pretty much done with paying for sports, once the MLB season ends.

Mike, you would definitely appreciate this... In my living room and dining room, I am in the New York Broadcast zone, so the Mets and Yankees are blacked out. Same if I stream over Roku. However, In my family room and on my patio, (my notebook), I'm in the Philadelphia zone, and the Phillies games are blacked out, and I get the Yankees and Mets... Here's the catch, everything feeds off of my wifi router. Go figure. Must have something to do with GPS tracking, although neither the pad nor the laptop, nor the TV have GPS to my knowledge.

Blackout rules are stupid. In Upper NY state, where my son lives, all NY Teams (Sabres, Islanders, Ragers and Yes, the Devils) are blacked out. He's a couple hundred miles away from any venue. (Buffalo teams claim the market). However, Ottawa, a mere 38 miles distant, is available. Here, the Devils, plus the Ragers, islanders, and Flyers are all blacked out. Except for the Devils, and borderline the Ragers, (Spelled that way on purpose), they are outside the 75 mile distant rule, so it has to be based strictly on TV Markets.

Guess I'm beating a dead horse, again, but since the seasons are either starting tomorrow, or resuming on August 1, it is somewhat in my face.
And I'm not even factoring in any political expression, by either the performers or the networks.

Last edited:
Boris, I will always think of Esskay when I eat Hotdogs, there was nothing better. Ball Park hotdogs are good. Oscar Mayer also makes good hotdog. Johnsonville’s Beddar Cheddar and Cheddar Jalapeno are good as well, but Esskay was something special, I could “taste the difference quality makes”. 😊 You can add anything and or everything else but starting with an Esskay hotdog was always best in my book! I liked them cold right out of the package.

Speaking of Esskay; Sunday I waited in line at Geresbeck’s (local grocery store in Middle River, MD) for Esskay bologna (Smithfield still makes Esskay deli meats). My number was 89 and they were serving number 70. I browsed through the store, picked up a few items and returned to wait at the deli counter. God knows how much later they call my number only to find out Esskay bologna is sold out! The only reason I drove 15 minutes to that store was because they have Esskay bologna. I asked the clerk “would sign saying Esskay bologna sold out have been too much trouble? He shrugs his shoulders and says nothing.

Mike, personally I don’t much care for beef hotdogs. They are ok if you grill them or bake them with beans, but they are not for me if they are boiled.

Willie, I am an easy mark for Lionel, no doubt about that! Anything else requires proof that is saves me money and the more cash the merrier!

I have been beating around the idea of trading in the City Express for months. It would have been a done deal months ago had Chevy not discontinued the City Express.

I almost went for the Mercedes Metris, but I was not motivated enough to pull the trigger.

On the Equinox Chevrolet gave me 15% off. Koons Chevrolet sweetened the deal with $3000 above wholesale for my City Express and they knocked of over $8000 on the Equinox. Numbers that big made me an easy mark.

For 20+ years I worked down the street from Wenzel Farms In Marshfield, Wi. and IMO they make the best beef sticks in the world. Due to my health, I no longer can eat a beef stick but I still have the memories.

No politics involved with my no longer watching MLB on TV, it has gotten to be too slow a game. NHL hockey any day any time. I make wire armatures trees and cut 100” HO scale pulp sticks during games. If I had MLB on I could build and finish a small ISL during a game. Louis, you post some great pictures.

TomO

Just a note.....Smithfield is a Chinese owned company. It also owns approximately 500 farms in America.

Greg
You are correct sir!

When Smithfield bought Esskay, nothing changed. Shortly after the Chinese conglomerate bought Smithfield that is when it all went downhill. They did not change the recipe, but they did change the manufacturing process and that changed the texture of Esskay hotdogs. They snaped when you bite into them. As if the casing was a stiff plastic. Not long after that they discontinued all Esskay products except for deli meats.

Willie, I am an easy mark for Lionel, no doubt about that! Anything else requires proof that is saves me money and the more cash the merrier!

I have been beating around the idea of trading in the City Express for months. It would have been a done deal months ago had Chevy not discontinued the City Express.

I almost went for the Mercedes Metris, but I was not motivated enough to pull the trigger.

On the Equinox Chevrolet gave me 15% off. Koons Chevrolet sweetened the deal with $3000 above wholesale for my City Express and they knocked of over $8000 on the Equinox. Numbers that big made me an easy mark.

It always bothered me when the give huge discounts like 8K, either they gave you a discount, or they were really putting the screws to someone else who pays full boat.
I hate the industry that I work in.

Boris, I will always think of Esskay when I eat Hotdogs, there was nothing better. Ball Park hotdogs are good. Oscar Mayer also makes good hotdog. Johnsonville’s Beddar Cheddar and Cheddar Jalapeno are good as well, but Esskay was something special, I could “taste the difference quality makes”. 😊 You can add anything and or everything else but starting with an Esskay hotdog was always best in my book! I liked them cold right out of the package.

Speaking of Esskay; Sunday I waited in line at Geresbeck’s (local grocery store in Middle River, MD) for Esskay bologna (Smithfield still makes Esskay deli meats). My number was 89 and they were serving number 70. I browsed through the store, picked up a few items and returned to wait at the deli counter. God knows how much later they call my number only to find out Esskay bologna is sold out! The only reason I drove 15 minutes to that store was because they have Esskay bologna. I asked the clerk “would sign saying Esskay bologna sold out have been too much trouble? He shrugs his shoulders and says nothing.

Mike, personally I don’t much care for beef hotdogs. They are ok if you grill them or bake them with beans, but they are not for me if they are boiled.

I love me some Hebrew National beef hotdogs on the grill, even better with kraut!

Afternoon All,

Was a chauffer for the wife this morning. After getting home I hooked up the 2 UP-5 power supplies and added the main buss extension in the peninsula. Afterwards I retested everything without issue. Based on this the basic buss wiring and DCC install is complete. Tomorrow will be train room cleanup.

Louis- Nice pictures and Lionel RS loco.

George- My condolences. Those rules are probably set that way so the companies can get every cent possible.

Joe- I hope you feel better. Great photos. I've never had Eskays and my favorite is Nathans but I don't get them very often because of cost.

Toot- The end of a era. Now it's like riding Greyhound only worse.

Sherrel- I really like the hotel.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Oh MAN, Patrick, pretty serious when the backup to the backup to the backup fails!
No thumb drive available, huh?

No thumb drive big enough....

That said, New system will be bigger stronger faster!!! When we ordered the new host computers, they are twice the machines for 1/2 of whet we paid 5 years ago. Been here long enough to say 5 years ago...lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back