Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least in our area, charter schools are most definitely not "private" nor do they get excused from teaching the basic state requirements.

Different then for each State. In Wisconsin they can and do refuse to take kids they don’t want and are free from discrimation lawsuits. They teach their own curriculums and take funding away from public schools to do it.

edit
If this is considered political I am sorry.

TomO

Fifty one years ago today, Neil Armstrong made his famous extraterrestrial walk on the moon. Where were you?
Willie- that was one of those days you remember where you were and what you were doing.
I watched the moon walk from from the top bunk in my training barracks in basic training at Ft. Gordon, Georgia.
A little warm that day, but at least I was out of the sun and not marching!

I watched the moon walk from from the top bunk in my training barracks in basic training at Ft. Gordon, Georgia.

Mikey: I watched the moon walk from the Day room of out basic training Company, B-5-2 on Texas Ave at Ft. Dix, NJ. Some things you just don't forget.
Willie: I like the Brewery and Magic Pan, but the Trading Post just has this kitchey appeal one gets when you pass by "South of the Border" on I95 just into South Carolina.
Justin Nice catch. Those GP30s will most likely need replacement axles, due to cracked gears. I just found three B&O in one of my storage boxes.

Just back from Physical Therapy. The therapist, cranked everything up a notch today. Might regret it later, but right now, I feel great. It's a bit hot today, Currently 93°, with a predicted high of 98°. Temperature hit 98°, yesterday, but there was a Southwest breeze, and low humidity. Today, the air isn't moving, and the humidity is rising. There is also an excessive heat warning, through 8PM and an Air Quality warning. based on these warnings, I should just go crawl into a hole somewhere and hide. :eek::eek::eek: Yo! it's freakin July! :rolleyes: It's always like this in July! :rolleyes: Risk Management at it's worse.

Reading Spring St in July 1975 - all three reading schemes in one B&W Photo..jpg

Photo taken in 1975, shows engines in all three Reading diesel color schemes at Spring St. in Reading, PA. Shame it's a B&W photo, butthe differences are clearly visible. Note, the practice of painting the journal box covers of standard bearing axles yellow.

Afternoon, gang. Flo, I’ll take a couple Italian sausages w/ extra kraut, PATY.
Willie- the day Armstrong took his historic lunar stroll, I was still baking in the oven.
Joe- that Totem Pole definitely had that SOTB feel to it. Nothing like all those “X miles to Pedro” countdown billboards.

Mikey: I watched the moon walk from the Day room of out basic training Company, B-5-2 on Texas Ave at Ft. Dix, NJ. Some things you just don't forget.
Willie: I like the Brewery and Magic Pan, but the Trading Post just has this kitchey appeal one gets when you pass by "South of the Border" on I95 just into South Carolina.
Justin Nice catch. Those GP30s will most likely need replacement axles, due to cracked gears. I just found three B&O in one of my storage boxes.

Just back from Physical Therapy. The therapist, cranked everything up a notch today. Might regret it later, but right now, I feel great. It's a bit hot today, Currently 93°, with a predicted high of 98°. Temperature hit 98°, yesterday, but there was a Southwest breeze, and low humidity. Today, the air isn't moving, and the humidity is rising. There is also an excessive heat warning, through 8PM and an Air Quality warning. based on these warnings, I should just go crawl into a hole somewhere and hide. :eek::eek::eek: Yo! it's freakin July! :rolleyes: It's always like this in July! :rolleyes: Risk Management at it's worse.

View attachment 115362
Photo taken in 1975, shows engines in all three Reading diesel color schemes at Spring St. in Reading, PA. Shame it's a B&W photo, butthe differences are clearly visible. Note, the practice of painting the journal box covers of standard bearing axles yellow.
Finally.
Joe, it’s one of my pet peeves for people to call solid bearings “friction bearings.” That was a marketing phrase invented by Timken when they introduced roller bearings, and people have been calling them that ever since. Thanks for not doing it. :)

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with inside chores and a guy came over and cleaned our driveway (money well spent in this heat). Afterwards I was directed to chauffer MOH downtown to a oriental market. After getting back I was able to get the new (for me) base station up and running and remotely control a loco on a test track via my DT402D throttle. :). All I have left to do with the DCC system is add 2 more UP5 power supplies and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. On the wiring front all that is left to do is wire the 2nd reverse loop buss for a wye. The PSX-AR is already installed.

I watched the moon landing with my family on TV at home. It was one of those days you never forget where you were. They're usually bad things but this was awesome and I was never prouder to be a American.

Justin- Nice haul. And NO, you can never have too many locos:D.

James- That is a lot of hard work.

TomO- Nice scene.

Chad- I believe the charter schools run like yours do here.

Willie- Nice buildings. The trading post reminds me of traveling across the country in a car as a kid in the 60's.

20200720_145235.jpg

CA Dave:

rev 3.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

it’s one of my pet peeves for people to call solid bearings “friction bearings.” That was a marketing phrase invented by Timken when they introduced roller bearings, and people have been calling them that ever since. Thanks for not doing it.

Actually, the common term used by mechanical people at places where I worked, was "friction bearings". The use of the term Solid Bearing did not become common until cars with "solid bearings" became scarce. Another marketing term turned device description, was "Dresser Fitting" a slip joint made by Dresser Industries.

Howdy ....

Willie .... You are Mr. Relieable with your daily posts with photos and commentary. Keep it up. The trading post reminds me of various tourist traps in the era before Interstate Highways. .... I have a series of Burma Shave signs from that era along a road on my layout.

Curt ... I'm admiring your excellent benchwork. Your track plan looks excellent. It will be a fun layout.

Joe .... I like the 1975 photo of Reading locomotives.

Justin .... The books look like good ones, and I like the locatives. I have a lot of P2K locos, and they work great although some have needed replacement axle gears.

Tom O ..... Your paper mill is very impressive !

Today, I was switching cars in my town of Blackhawk with the Alco S2. ... This is an older picture taken in the same location. (Atlas S2 and Athearn Genesis GP7)

42838205560_1976e5c5a8_k.jpg

Last edited:
Only got to see the replays on the news later on.
Was sitting at the gate in the cockpit waiting for the agent to close the door on a flight from K.C. to Albuquerque. The Flight Engineer was holding the PA handset to a headset so the cabin peeps could here.
It was a memorial occasion!

Very nice photo there GARRY. I'm going upstairs and see if I can find the comet -- still haven;t seen it although I have see so many photos that the real McCoy may be a letdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back