Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I was stationed in Virginia Beach and I met my wife. I was doing the whole meet the parents deal. Well her dad found out I am from West Virginia. Well he asked me to smile. Which I did. His response was this: "Oh my god you have all your teeth!" Ofcourse he had more jokes too. All of which are of the dad joke variety. Did you know the toothbrush was created in West Virginia? If it was created anywhere else it would have been called a toothbrush! Har har.....

I postponed various medical and dental appointments because of social distancing during the pandemic. I can’t put them off anymore. Starting with an appointment tomorrow, I will have a lot of appointments through August to take care of various issues . I wish I was still young . Oh well.

Garry: I hear you. For nearly three months, you could not get any dental, or eye care around here due to the panic. Medical issues had to be life threatening, or handled via teleconference, (which I view as a billable, but near useless eencounter). Now, even with a resurgence of the virus, everything is open. I sort of get nervous each time I go to therapy, even though everyone is careful. Being younger would be helpful, eh?

Apparently, gangs are doing “smash and grabs” then selling the stolen goods on Amazon. When they sell out, they simply dissolve their bogus Amazon seller accounts and get away with no repercussions.

Wouldn't be surprised that some of our enterprising civil disturbers are using this means to finance their insurrection. Free enterprise at it's finest, eh?

Good Morning All. Only 78° and mostly sunny, the same low clouds in the NE kept the comet from being visible again today. Despite the weather geeks best forecast, it still didn't break the triple digit mark yesterday, only reaching a high temperature of 99°. The heat index was 105° though. They've still got the "hot and dry" semi-permanent forecast in effect for the rest of this month. Those showers that seem to be hitting Patrick are moving east instead of south. Pool cooled off a bit overnight, it was only 87° when I got in this morning after my walk.
Resumed my other hobby of mowing the yard yesterday morning, then I went with my wife to see the orthopedic surgeon regarding the knee replacement surgery on the other knee. They have cancelled all elective surgery at the hospitals in Denton for now, as a backup to the hospitals in Dallas for the Covid patients surge. However he is still doing the surgery on an out-patient basis at a surgery center that's actually right next door to his office. Just no overnight stays or any PT involved. She is mulling over her options. She didn't actually need to stay overnight when she had her left knee done, but she didn't want to take any chances. I am hoping and encouraging that she go ahead and get it out of the way. I had a colonoscopy done there two years ago, and they are quite efficient at what they do.

Ham and scrambled eggs this morning for me, Flo. No toast, just OJ.
Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday for the layout update and the salsa recipe; Patrick, Jerome, Dave, Sherrel, Guy, Tom O, Phil, James, Chad, Karl, Curt, Tom, Garry, Chet, Louis.

That doctor appointment for my wife cut into train shed time yesterday. I do have a small backlog of pictures of the Ft Wish downtown area to post though. Here's a view looking south of one of the main streets. I guess I need to name some of these streets some day!
07-10-20 004.JPG

To give a perspective, that's the Stone Bakery in the left foreground.
Now a shot of the same street looking north.
07-14-20 012.JPG

A front view of the bakery. Unfortunately those figures in the upper "Queen Anne" window are not visible from the aisle.
07-14-20 008.JPG

07-14-20 007.JPG

Chet likes long shots, here's one looking south as the railroad moves from downtown to an industrial area. Main line on the right, passing siding on the left.
And lastly an old favorite of construction workers working on the new steel girder building going up next to the fire department headquarters.
07-14-20 016.JPG

Tom O - Great pictures yesterday of the cranes and the very impressive garden.
James -
Generally, cranes mate for life; rarely divorce is known to occur. A pair will return to the same nesting area each spring. When they arrive, the young from the previous year who have migrated north with their parents are driven off while the pair begins a new family.
Don't want the kids around when they're making whoopee!
Justin - Good to hear that all is well, well almost everything. Good luck with the human varmints. Stay safe and healthy.
Garry - Hope that all of the medical issues, if any, are minor, and that you come through the medical mill unscathed. I managed to go from 1970 until 2005 without needing to see a doctor, then started to see one twice a year. Now it seems like it's about every three months.

Today is National Nude Day. Be careful, wear sunscreen and observe local decency laws. Wear your mask and a helmet if you go skateboarding.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning, Everyone.
55F this beautiful morning with anther 10 to be added to that by this afternoon, in a blue-n-grey patchy sky. These are my kind of summertime temperatures; it's going to be a fine day. To bad I'm not able to magically wish the winds away with a dance.
C'mon September, get here quick! July and August are just to hot for me!
September is my favorite month of the year. It has the finest weather and it's starting to get darn pretty in the forest. This year will be especially good, as I finally got my antlerless elk draw; after 7yrs of trying. Camping out in the Rocky Mountain foothills in September; what a wonderful experience. I don't even care if I get the elk; just seems like a good reason to be out there.

The G-kids are doing an over-nighter, so it's going to be Captain Krunch this morning, and then out the door to the park for some action before lunch.

I picked up a very nice MC-7 bus. It has 1970 Texas and Arizona plates on it, and is slightly too new for my timeframe, but I might just increase my time zone. Seems like there is a lot more stuff to be had if the scene is into the 70's.
MC-7_07-13-2020.JPG

Here's something for those supper-detailers in the house. Lichens and moss on the top cross member of a power pole. I wonder who has the patience to add that to the layout for realism.
IMG_9115.JPG

Anyway, I need to squeeze one more coffee in before the kids wake up! Catcha later!

Good morning, y'all. It's summer in Jersey. Going up to the mid 80s.

I expanded my horizons to the recumbent bike yesterday, and in the middle of the night, I began to feel the legs talking back. I would have joined Sherrel as an early riser, but it hurt too much to get out of bed. I'll have to get out and walk this out after a while. Waiting for the Mobic to kick in.

I singled out four DC units for decoders two have 8 or 9 pin connectors, two require 21 pin decoders. I have to look in my collection to see if I have a suitable decoder, then order the ones I know I don't have. After looking at price / availability, I'm going silent.

I'm still not limber enough to work on expanding the layout, so I just go down and run what is there.

USS Bonhomme Richard on fire San Diego 7-12-2020.jpg

USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 Burning dockside in San Diego. The fire began on Sunday, and was still burning yesterday. Second son split his time between the BHR and the USS Denver, during his 2013 South China Sea deployment.
Raleigh NC 7-1977.jpg

Amtrak Silver Star, Raleigh, NC July 1977. Photo by Warren Calloway.

Good Morning All. Only 78° and mostly sunny, the same low clouds in the NE kept the comet from being visible again today. Despite the weather geeks best forecast, it still didn't break the triple digit mark yesterday, only reaching a high temperature of 99°. The heat index was 105° though. They've still got the "hot and dry" semi-permanent forecast in effect for the rest of this month. Those showers that seem to be hitting Patrick are moving east instead of south. Pool cooled off a bit overnight, it was only 87° when I got in this morning after my walk.
Resumed my other hobby of mowing the yard yesterday morning, then I went with my wife to see the orthopedic surgeon regarding the knee replacement surgery on the other knee. They have cancelled all elective surgery at the hospitals in Denton for now, as a backup to the hospitals in Dallas for the Covid patients surge. However he is still doing the surgery on an out-patient basis at a surgery center that's actually right next door to his office. Just no overnight stays or any PT involved. She is mulling over her options. She didn't actually need to stay overnight when she had her left knee done, but she didn't want to take any chances. I am hoping and encouraging that she go ahead and get it out of the way. I had a colonoscopy done there two years ago, and they are quite efficient at what they do.

Ham and scrambled eggs this morning for me, Flo. No toast, just OJ.
Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday for the layout update and the salsa recipe; Patrick, Jerome, Dave, Sherrel, Guy, Tom O, Phil, James, Chad, Karl, Curt, Tom, Garry, Chet, Louis.

That doctor appointment for my wife cut into train shed time yesterday. I do have a small backlog of pictures of the Ft Wish downtown area to post though. Here's a view looking south of one of the main streets. I guess I need to name some of these streets some day!
View attachment 115206
To give a perspective, that's the Stone Bakery in the left foreground.
Now a shot of the same street looking north.
View attachment 115207
A front view of the bakery. Unfortunately those figures in the upper "Queen Anne" window are not visible from the aisle.
View attachment 115208
View attachment 115209
Chet likes long shots, here's one looking south as the railroad moves from downtown to an industrial area. Main line on the right, passing siding on the left.
And lastly an old favorite of construction workers working on the new steel girder building going up next to the fire department headquarters.
View attachment 115210

Tom O - Great pictures yesterday of the cranes and the very impressive garden.
James -

Don't want the kids around when they're making whoopee!
Justin - Good to hear that all is well, well almost everything. Good luck with the human varmints. Stay safe and healthy.
Garry - Hope that all of the medical issues, if any, are minor, and that you come through the medical mill unscathed. I managed to go from 1970 until 2005 without needing to see a doctor, then started to see one twice a year. Now it seems like it's about every three months.

Today is National Nude Day. Be careful, wear sunscreen and observe local decency laws. Wear your mask and a helmet if you go skateboarding.
Everybody have a great day.

" Don't want the kids around when they're making whoopee! "

Well there is that....... Whooping Cranes....... 😜 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Good morning from the deck in So. Central Wi where the sun is bright, the humidity is and breeze is making it very nice. The 2 mile walk is completed, a window from yesterday needs to be re-washed and then the day is mine. Heading out 1st thing tomorrow to the old stomping grounds in the Chicago suburbs. My sister is moving and she believes Covid19 has finally stopped her teaching career. She retired at 60, went back 3 days a week until this coming year after taking a full year. They offered her a crazy amount and she loved her job but too dangerous now. She is heading to Pasadena near her daughter in Glendale, Ca. I hope it works out for her, her hubby passed on Super Bowl Sunday 2 years ago and per his obit it was a boring pregame! He went to sleep on the couch. We have plenty of space for her here if she decides California is not for her. Enjoy your day. TomO

Today’s picture shows the unfinished loading docks for the paper mill and the primed only looking for the correct positioning of the abandoned Chemical plant. The abandoned plant is sort of based on the still operating Vulcan plant at Nekossa Junction on the Valley Sub in Nekossa, Wisconsin.

1DF36402-4C6F-48A9-8463-CF33E65AB471.jpeg

My taxes are done!!! The money sent electronically to the feds and the state of MD. The kicker is I paid far less than I was expecting, about $5K less!!! I didn’t realize I had so many business deductions, no cheating or “creative” deductions needed. it is all, by the book, straight up and down! Audit me this year $%#$%s!

Now all I need to do is file my annual report with the state of MD and pay that fee and business property tax. I’ll do that tomorrow. I use PayPal for that, I needed to make a payment to have enough available credit. I don’t want to increase my credit limit; otherwise I’ll find something else I want and have no time to play with.

Speaking of PayPal credit; I do not know how they stay in business. I carry as much as a $10000 balance, but with all the 6-24-36 month interest free deals. I never pay any interest!

It is time to celebrate with a tomato and bologna sandwich. I don’t grow my own tomatoes, but I do know where to buy great local grown tomatoes, no gardening needed. I love this time a year, all I need is one slice, an inch think to cover the bread with tomato. 😊 Maryland tomatoes are the best! ;)

Congrats on getting everything set, Louis!

I don't know about Maryland tomatoes, but the Kansas grown ones are excellent this year.

I had a couple of plain tomato sandwiches for breakfast this morning. Think BLT without the B or L... 🤣 Why waste bacon on a good tomato! (although I know everything is better with bacon!!!) Besides, The bacon was still frozen....I have about 15 pounds of bacon in the freezer though.....Who need Lettuce!!!!

Good Afternoon Everyone....partly sunny with rain on the way.

Just came home from the cabin and will return to the cabin on Thursday morning. Finished staining the main parts of the deck with some touch up on the railings and the walk way to the pump-house remaining.

Willie: Like the start of your Carol's Corner Cafe which looks a lot like the Woodlands Scenics' structurenow sold as the Corner Emporium.

1594748142948.png

I have the Emporium on my layout which barely has any room for full sized buildings, mainly background buildings. Can't find the photo of it on the layout....!

Alcomotive: The Sand Hill cranes are fun to watch when they have they young who try to keep up wth mom and pop. We have a lot of cranes around the cabin and on any drive you get to see them in the fields or grassy areas.

TomO: You have a really great garden.

Time to eat.....later.

Greg

#################

Wisconsin tomatoes are great this year too. Greg and others Thanks about the garden picture. I wish I could find the garden pictures of when we lived in North Central Wi. Almost 3000sq ‘ behind a 6’ deer fence that if they were determined easily could jump it, but could not seem to jump out!

Congrats on a happy for you tax payment day. We went ahead and made our payment to both the Feds and Wisconsin in April, they were done. With about 62% of our student rentals missEd 3 months of payments in April, May and June and with the allowed deductions we should get a wheel barrel full of money back from the Feds next year! No we did not evict anyone or start proceedings against any, we took our lumps. We also did not report the missed payments on the renters Credit Bureau reports. They got breaks and a letter informing them of the breaks. Of 811 letters sent, 5 wrote back thanking us.152 are suing us for return of security deposits.

Paypal credit, I don’t feel comfortable using the credit card program but I use the regular program for online payment 3 or 4 times a week. Louis and Terry, more power to you, as long as it works for you, that is great. PayPal like other credit card programs make the majority of their profits from the interest rates charged but, they still make a good profit from just the transaction fees they charge vendors.

TomO

clear cutting the hillside
761619DE-723D-4D82-A7CD-4B03E4B05329.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on getting everything set, Louis!

I don't know about Maryland tomatoes, but the Kansas grown ones are excellent this year.

I had a couple of plain tomato sandwiches for breakfast this morning. Think BLT without the B or L... 🤣 Why waste bacon on a good tomato! (although I know everything is better with bacon!!!) Besides, The bacon was still frozen....I have about 15 pounds of bacon in the freezer though.....Who need Lettuce!!!!
Patrick, everything is better in Maryland! 😉

Seriously, I had a neighbor whose family lived in New Jersey, he often gave me NJ grown tomatoes, they were excellent, every bit as good as Maryland. I think almost all tomatoes grown this time of the year are good. Many grocery stores are not as good I think because the produce is picked early to increase shelf life.

In my opinion lettuce makes almost every sandwich better, but like today I often forget to take it out of the refrigerator when I am making a sandwich, DOH!

I can never decide what I like best with tomato, bacon, tuna or bologna, ham is not bad either and crab cakes! Nothing wrong with plain tomato either. I seldom if ever eat any meal without meat, I earned my gout.

I can’t forget the salt and mayonnaise on any sandwich with tomato.

Louis, I have made quite a few 24 month zero interest purchases with them. I just need to be careful the monthly payments don't exceed my budget.
That is why I don't increase my PayPal credit limit. Free money (for 6-24-36 months) is too tempting!

I buy more than I can play with, I am a train junkie.

I am still fighting the urge to buy the Lionel Penn Central Vision Line GG1. I don't need it, I have all the tracks on my track plan spoken for and more, but still I am thinking about it! If Train World took PayPal, I doubt I could resist the temptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back