Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

Everybody: .... Thanks for the comments and likes for my photo. The col train is on an S-curve which includes bridges. It took a while to get them lined up correctly.

Tom O .... I like the weathered CN Locomotive and I like the industries on your layout. The blue and gray color scheme looks nice.

Karl .... Are you trying to compete with Willie with your 1/87 working girls? DOn't show that to Sherrel! .... I like the bridge in your second picture.

Willie ..... Your downtown scenes are great. I like the garbage truck.

Chet .... I like your photo with the switcher.

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and less humid here in this part of Wisconsin.

Went outside for an hour and just sat in a chair in the garage and watched the world go by. The neighbors planted a dozen and a half pots of geraniums around their deck railings in small pots and then didn't or forgot to water the plants. Now the plants are dead....no hope for survival. Same neighbor we asked last week to water our new grass seed and it didn't happen.

Lunch and then fuel up the truck for my sole trip to the cabin tomorrow. I need to finish some areas on the deck and a walkway to the pump-house. Hopefully they trip up will be easy without traffic, but the way home goes thru 22 miles of single lane Interstate highway. No one goes 55 mph in the construction area and I think I get off the Interstate where the construction starts and use county roads instead. I'll come home Tuesday afternoon.

Looking forward to the cabin and buying a large Freeze at a A & W root beer stand. It's root beer and ice cream blended into a mix and use a straw to drink to mix. Very tasty.

Hopefully, I'll get down to the layout after my gas station trip and work down there for a few hours. No real plans for working on the layout. I ordered a new DCC decoder for the C&NW switcher to be able to hide the decoder better in the cabin of the locomotive. Not much room in a SW1 for decoders.

Never fear, you can always post a paper mill for me any day. This one below is being closed in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. this month.View attachment 115157

Most people don't realize how large a paper mill can be and the amount of rail traffic they generate during the day and night. Sorry to heard that the mill in Rapids is closing soon. We have a friend who lives near the cabin who works each day never knowing how long his job will last at a paper mill.

Time to move on....

Greg

##################

Saxeville Tunnel entrance.JPG
The entrance to the Saxeville tunnel which runs under the Saxeville Interchange tracks.-Greg

Good Afternoon All,

Spent 10 hours yesterday at daughter's house installing tile in oldest grandsons room. Daughter wanted the boys to help in the room but I finally had to boot them out because very little was getting done. Needles to say I am very sore today and not doing much of anything. Tomorrow is youngest grandsons 13th birthday, Monday we will be grouting the tile, and Tuesday will be helping move furniture back into the room. And last but not least Friday and Saturday we are keeping the boys while daughter goes and visits her husband in Sarasota (he's working there for 2 weeks installing elevators). I hate when real life intrudes on train time.

Guy- Interesting paper mill photos.

Willie- Very nice scenes.

Joe- Congratulations to your son. How much longer will he be there? I'm glad you are doing well rehabbing your knee.

Chet- Nice layout photo.

Karl- You're new boss sounds like he has potential. Congratulations on your son's wedding and the new DIL. Nice photo.

CA Dave- I plan on using the track plan that I posted earlier (photo).

Mikey- Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he continues to improve.

TomO- Very nice scene.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie, a Slurpie is 7-11's own brand of Icee, which is still its own company and brand. I saw an icee machine at Sams Club last time I was there.
It's actually an indication of how far back it was when I had one. They were Icee's when 7-11 first started selling them. They made a licensing deal with The Icee Company in 1965 or so, and then sold the same product under the Slurpee name. The Icee Company originally just made the machines. 7-11 tried out the Icee/Slurpee drinks extensively in Dallas (headquarters of their parent company, Southland Corporation) when I was entering my early teens. I wasn't impressed. I went across the street to the DQ and had a malt or shake instead.

I've always liked the Blizzard from DQ, though the early efforts to show they were really cold didn't impress me. I ordered one, and the person behind the counter made it, and handed me the cup, upside-down. As I was reaching for the cup to turn it upright, because I knew what was about to happen, the Blizzard fell out of the cup onto the counter with a plop...

Good Afternoon All,

Spent 10 hours yesterday at daughter's house installing tile in oldest grandsons room. Daughter wanted the boys to help in the room but I finally had to boot them out because very little was getting done. Needles to say I am very sore today and not doing much of anything. Tomorrow is youngest grandsons 13th birthday, Monday we will be grouting the tile, and Tuesday will be helping move furniture back into the room. And last but not least Friday and Saturday we are keeping the boys while daughter goes and visits her husband in Sarasota (he's working there for 2 weeks installing elevators). I hate when real life intrudes on train time.

Guy- Interesting paper mill photos.

Willie- Very nice scenes.

Joe- Congratulations to your son. How much longer will he be there? I'm glad you are doing well rehabbing your knee.

Chet- Nice layout photo.

Karl- You're new boss sounds like he has potential. Congratulations on your son's wedding and the new DIL. Nice photo.

CA Dave- I plan on using the track plan that I posted earlier (photo).

Mikey- Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he continues to improve.

TomO- Very nice scene.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Sorry for missing the TP photo I'll go back and look for it.

Good evening. This was taken after I returned from Physical Therapy. It's my left leg, after being taped with Kinesio Taping. They ran out of neutral colored tape, so i got the works....
View attachment 115111
This is effective support for muscles and helps reduce swelling. This therapy is very intense.

The two books I ordered from Morning Sun, were out for delivery all day, and are now "available for pick-up at the Howell Post Office... Based on tracking, the package arrived at the PO about the same time the local route carrier was delivering on the other side of the street. So the package will probably arrive tomorrow. Just wish they wouldn't lie about it on the tracking. Sound familiar Ken and Terry?

Garry: Nice to have the grandchildren visiting. looks like everyone had fun. Like the passenger train, and yes I learned of that tip on the MRCDCC@groups.io List. Worth joining if you aren't already a member.

Louis: There you go bringing back memories of when Baseball and Football were fun to follow.

Moermusic: B-17 right...nice!

TomO: I just grasped exactly how mamouth your Paper Mill Complex really is. Nice work.

View attachment 115112
Trains passing at Belt Line Jct., Reading PA in 1952. The Reading had the largest fleet of Baldwin AS-16s, as well as a large fleet of EMD GP-7s, but no GP-9s. Remember, if you take a Ride on the Reading, and Pass GO, you can collect $200.00 from the Bank

Boris: About the USPS delivering your books, I:'ve also experienced similar problems at my rural location. I've become fairly handicaped due to my Left hip and knee and leg muscles. In ordering items from Amazon, which the PO delivers I gave specific instructions to deliver the packages to my front door rather than my mailbox across the country road which is about 350 ft. from my house.

Sometimes they leave the item on the lamp post base but other times leave it in the mailbox box across the country road 350+ ft away. Thank god for my neighbors and friends who bring my mail and small packages up to my house for me.

Congrats, if that's appropriate under the circumstances, that your son was awarded the Bronze Star !!

Good evening. 89 and clear...which is an improvement over yesterday's tropical storm. 2½" of rain, no damage. Adjacent neighborhood lost power for about 6 hours.

Thanks to everyone who offered congratulations to my son on his award of the Bronze Star. The citation would make any parent proud. His unit is rotating back to the US where their first activity will be a Covid Quarantine...:rolleyes: This has been some year,eh?

I dug out a Athearn R-T-R GP35, the ones with the scale car body, and made a test run. This unit was never a good runner, even though I dropped a Digitrax silent decoder in it few years ago. I tried it and it groaned initially, but I was able to run it at speed, and the performance improved. Right now, it's on the work bench in the garage, and tomorrow, I plan on giving it a good clean and lube, and changing the couplers to Kadee scale 153s with short shank. Plan on running it with a GP30, once I find it.

Knee rehab is progressing very well, much of the swelling and bruising is down, and most of the discomfort is tight muscles. I figure I will continue Physical Therapy at least through the end of July and possibly longer. Naps on the recliner, with the leg elevated help greatly!

USPS delivered the books the following evening, so all is well.

I'm a bit behind on my acknowledgments, but enjoy all the prototype photos and modeling photos. Lots of incentive to get myself back into the game.

I noticed, that the Jersey Devils appointed Tom Fitzgerald as permanent VP and General Manager. (He had been interim). They also hired Lindy Ruff as the 19th head coach for the franchise. Should be interesting to see how this works out with a young team. Meanwhile, intensive layoff hockey begins by August 1 with all games played in either Toronto or Edmonton... I still think they shoulld have cancelled the balance of the season, but.....Not sure what if any I'll get to see considering I get my TV over the air, for free...maybe a few games on NBC? Yeah, I'm as bad as Louis is with Baseball...

Good evening. This was taken after I returned from Physical Therapy. It's my left leg, after being taped with Kinesio Taping. They ran out of neutral colored tape, so i got the works....
View attachment 115111
This is effective support for muscles and helps reduce swelling. This therapy is very intense.

The two books I ordered from Morning Sun, were out for delivery all day, and are now "available for pick-up at the Howell Post Office... Based on tracking, the package arrived at the PO about the same time the local route carrier was delivering on the other side of the street. So the package will probably arrive tomorrow. Just wish they wouldn't lie about it on the tracking. Sound familiar Ken and Terry?

Garry: Nice to have the grandchildren visiting. looks like everyone had fun. Like the passenger train, and yes I learned of that tip on the MRCDCC@groups.io List. Worth joining if you aren't already a member.

Louis: There you go bringing back memories of when Baseball and Football were fun to follow.

Moermusic: B-17 right...nice!

TomO: I just grasped exactly how mamouth your Paper Mill Complex really is. Nice work.

View attachment 115112
Trains passing at Belt Line Jct., Reading PA in 1952. The Reading had the largest fleet of Baldwin AS-16s, as well as a large fleet of EMD GP-7s, but no GP-9s. Remember, if you take a Ride on the Reading, and Pass GO, you can collect $200.00 from the Bank
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 77°, a tiny bit cooler than yesterday. Yesterday's range of temperature was rather limited (12°) for this time of year, with a morning low of 79° and an afternoon high of only 91°. The forecast was for 97° which it is again today. Ongoing heat advisory in effect until September. No rain in sight!:mad:
Thanks for opening this morning Terry. I'll hold on to my fireworks for Saturday night in the freshly plowed field across the road.
Phew! Mowed the south, southwest and back yard yesterday. Always the toughest because of the septic system over in the SW, and the landscaping/pool around the house. Of course, due to the dry conditions and the wind, there's a layer of mower ejaculate all over the pool surface that the skimmer is still working on. Today, I tackle the NW part around the train shed, might even feel like hitting part of the "back forty".
Granddog has thus far survived "roughing it" here, since I forgot her bed back in Dallas. She got to chase an armadillo early this morning before dawn. Those things move surprisingly fast for such awkward looking creatures. I think that Sherrel has a story about that from his youth many decades ago.

Nothing special for me this morning Flo, just a pair of over-easy eggs, a double stack of sausage patties and a toasted whole wheat English Muffin.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the structure progress yesterday: Jerome, Guy, Chad, Sherrel, Dave, Patrick, James, Curt, Tom, Garry, Ken.

Worked a bit on the CUP yesterday out in the train shed. Started with this incomplete grade crossing.
View attachment 114877
Friday at the LHS, I purchased a twelve pack of Blair Line grade crossings, as they are easier to use than building my own from individual ties.
View attachment 114878
They are made for narrower crossings and are a scale 26' wide. I needed them wider to accommodate the pedestrian traffic there. So I used three and cut one in half, thus obtaining a 39' length. I beveled the corners and leading edge, both because that's what they look like in the real world, but also as a precautionary measure against dragging equipment.
View attachment 114879
Followed that up with a coat of brown India Ink.
View attachment 114880
Then on to the installation. Pretty simple process with these.
View attachment 114881View attachment 114882
I use Walther's Goo to fasten them in place. Note that in this crossing, I have run the road surface right up to the rails instead of using the outside wooden entry's. Can't remember what they are called.
Once they were in place for a bit, I ran trains through to check clearance. All is well
Since I am at a standstill on the last structure, I got out another that I purchased for this project.
View attachment 114883
Haven't done anything except open the package and remove the parts, since I had already switched to running trains. Jessica's Salon is a Smalltown structure meant for a corner location. This will work for me even though it isn't destined for a corner location. It almost is! More later.

Chet -
Good eye, I use Husqvarna blades.
Ray - I get the blocked video message as well. Yesterday's series of shots detailing the wheel/axle change-out was quite informative.
Raging question: I know that you are from the land down-under and you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and all that other stuff. I have a question that I always wanted to know. Of course your cars have the driver controlls on the right, but what about the pedal arrangement on the floorboard? On my manual shift car, the gas pedal is on the right, brake in the middle and clutch on the left. Is it the same on your cars or reversed?

Today is Canada Day for all of our north of the border friends and visitors. Happy Canada Day to all. And I remembered that today is officially the halfway point this year.
Have a great day everyone. Keep cool.

Willie: I just noticed the drainage culvert between the two tracks in the shot showing the crossings ! Nice touch !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back