Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that that particular bleedout occurrs no matter how carefully the joint is glued. I wish I could get the thinned mortar stain to run as freely.

To put this in perspective, the Hockey, basketball and baseball seasons were abruptly ended because of the Corona Virus, and that performers were coming down with the virus. Now each sport is rushing to cobble together some sort of season, without fans present, even though the same virus is still present, still contagious, and still infecting the performers, and still infecting people. Sports are really only important to the stakeholders, ie; the owners/investors, the performers, and the TV networks that pull the strings. otherwise, they are an allure to persuade me to part with some of my hard earned money to further enrich the stake holders. If I watch a game this summer, it will be from sheer boredom. I have found other things to amuse myself.

Boris, your feelings about sport other then NHL and College Hockey to me, we are on the same wave length.

Glue bleedout. That Cornerstone kit was the first kit I had put together in over 20+ years ago in 2014. It was thin MEK that got all over the place. It will finally be covered over this week as I strive to finish off the Paper Mill. Motor lines to me are needed but such a PITA. Guys describing or showing it on You Tube make it seem so easy, to me it is not.

TomO

Good morning. Started off with some early morning thunder showers but now the sun is out. Today is have lunch in town Tuesday for me.

Phil - Not sure, but I am think Buick looking at the limousine body. .

TomO - Like the photos. I only got to ride on an RDC once when I was a pretty young kid. Thought it was cool because it didn't have an engine. I used to enjoy playing baseball years ago whe I was on out police dept team but it sort of soured me when they banned Pete Rose from baseball. Yes, he did gamble but never compromised or bet on his own team. Basketball never really interested me, but when we lived in Miami, we did have season tickets for the Dolphins, including their perfect season and even went to the Super Bowl that year. When Kaepernick put the knee to the ground and the NFL did nothing, that was the end of football for me. I am and maybe was a big NASCAR fan intil they decided to stick their nose in where it wasn't needed with the confederate flag. I don't see that flag as being racial, but just a a symbol of southern pride. Sorry, we do not get into politics here.

Willie - The only thing I can think of is that the parts are for a base for the fence to stand on a layout. I don't have bagger for the tractor, but after that episode with the buck rake I did pick up a lawn sweeper. Don't use it too much because I have no place to put the clippings.

Louis - Always enjoy your trolley photos. I did see some running in Filthadelphia when we put my ship in the yards there but never rode on one.

Curt
- On the plywood I tend to agree with willie. When I first started my layout I used some 5/8 for a flat area for a town but then changed over to 1/2 because I was cutting it up for the coolie cutter runs for sun roadbed. The 1/2 is strong enough and I never had a problem with it and it is cheaper.

Patrick - Sounds like you know your smoking. Sounds good.

Joe - Clue me in on what that Seaboard locomotive is. Nice photo.

Gotta go and get a couple of thing done before going to town.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1593904051954 (2).jpg

Later

Clue me in on what that Seaboard locomotive is. Nice photo.

That was a Baldwin "Centepede" 3000hp diesel. Photo by Warren Calloway, don't recall who colorized it. This phto was a reverse perspective from the builder's photo that hung in a neighborhood grocery store. FWIW, I believe the SAL only had one of this model. The PRR had some and the NdeM.
BLI does a model of it. in HO. BTW: Nice photo of the NYC Niagara.

It was thin MEK that got all over the place. It will finally be covered over this week as I strive to finish off the Paper Mill. Motor lines to me are needed but such a PITA. Guys describing or showing it on You Tube make it seem so easy, to me it is not.

At least I know it's not just me. :rolleyes:

I find that this happens with liquid Testors (which is MEK), especially when it flows under corner clamps. ACC has it's own undesirable side effects, so I prefer the MEK. With a little careful weathering, one can get the effect of weather worn brick.

I do follow the NHL ever since as a kid Bobby Hull and 5 other BlackHawks signed a Hull stick in 1963, I was 11. As a former season ticket holder in the NFL until 2017 the NFL holds little interest.
TomO

My father, is reputed to have played for the Pottsville Maroons who by legend won the 1925 0r 1926 NFL championship then had it taken from them and awarded to the Frankford Yellow Jackets, due to malfeasance or chicanery (depending on which PA coal cracker legend you subscribe to). Of course, dad never acknowledged this questionable bit of family history, and I was never able to find any record of his participation with that team under either his given name,or any of his known aliases. However, Football was very important in my family. I was a season ticket holder for several NFL seasons while based in Philadelphia. What started out as fun, gradually became tedious. Eventually, I lost interest. By the time of Kapernick, football at both college and professional level was dead to me.

Baseball, was the only game I attempted to play However, I have not attended a MLB game since 1985, at Memorial Stadium, in Baltimore. I have followed Baltimore on an MLB TV subscription since MLB TV began streaming games. Looks like I got screwed on this season big time, wish I hadn't renewed.

I religiously followed the Washington Caps, as well as the Jersey Devils, and the Toronto Maple Leafs, (long story), through the suspension of the current season due to Covid. Due to the callous tough s*it attitude to subscribers, and season ticket holders, I became disgusted, and really lost interest. They are all done as far as I am concerned. last straw, was the draft lottery, where the #1 team in the lottery, could theoretically still win this year's Stanley Cup. I mean, the worst team in the league, (Detroit), doesn't get a top three pick? Really?

Might watch an NHL game if it's carried on over the air TV, and Mike Emerick is not doing the play by play, with Pierre McGuire, but I doubt it.

This guy is down right nasty, but they taste so good!
View attachment 115051

Louis- that they do, my friend. When my sister & her family lived in the Hamilton section of B’more, we used to get a bushel of Blueclaws from a crab place on Harford Rd. Don’t remember the name, because it was over 20 years ago. When my family had a send off party for my cousin’s deployment with the Corps to the sandbox, we had a crab boil of several bushels(even though they were from the Delaware Bay).
321BB477-9195-46A4-8D8D-E9CAE3BE1B3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out with a trip to the vampire, then after getting home drained about 4 inches of water out of the pool. In the train room I finished the end of the peninsula with the exception of boring out the hole(s) for wiring after I get the new base station later this month. I did hook up my DCS-51 (3 amp) base station to electrically check power at the far ends on both sides of the layout. The right side read 12v and the left side was 11v. Of course this was without any load. In the one photo the snake nest of wires is the old programing wiring from a Soundtrax PB-100.

Thank you for your likes yesterday.

Thank you Willie, Patrick, Chad, Joe, Louis, TomO, and Chet for your plywood input.

Joe- Glad the swelling wasn't anything serious. Nice Seaboard Centipede and steamer in the snow.

Willie- Nice looking background flats. I had not thought of using the bases as tires, I just threw them out :(. Live and learn.

Sherrel- Glad your procedure went well. It's good to be on a 5 year cycle.

TomO- Nice looking building. I figure some weathering will cover those spots.

Louis- Neat looking rail car. Was that at the B&O museum?

20200707_132207.jpg

The circuit card is a DCC circuit breaker.
20200707_133412.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Day Gentlemen
Not a lot of progress in the trainroom but I did get the main building for my sugar mill today. Seems my "tender" took a chance and bought the Middlesex Manufacturing for my birthday recently. This was the closest fit I could find for the mill and will need a couple more different shape ones to put on either end of the MM to get a reasonable representation. Willie mentioned that he had this building somewhere and I was hoping to see his first. Also last week a neighbor that is moving to Ohio gave me 4 kerosene Adlake lanterns, 2 blue, 2 green. Three of them have S.P. Co. stamped on them. They will hang somewhere in the trainroom. Heres a few pics of my recent haul.... and one old pic of the sugar mill.
Also, went to jury duty and told to come back tomorrow at 3pm. Guessing they wont like what I wrote on their questionaire when I found out it is a child molester case. And, filed my taxes just now.
middlesex manufacturing.jpg
RR lanterns.jpg
sugar plant postcard.jpg

Morning all,

Coffee and one of those pecan rolls this morning....Thanks Francine.

Clear and 72* currently with temp today of 95 and heat index to 105*. We do have a slight chance of rain overnight and supposed to be 101 tomorrow. We'll see.

Tough working all 9 hours again. After 10 weeks I have to get back into my groove. As Sgt. Hulka said, "I'm getting too old for this s***!" LOL

(Obscure movie reference)

Good Morning Everybody!

Despite my best efforts I have been busy ridding the roller coaster that is my health. On the other hand, I can’t complain. I have been living with several chronic illnesses for nearly 20 years. Any one of which could/should have taken me out long ago.

I say with all conviction, “thank God, everyday is a good day” 😊 I’m just not very active or talkative somedays.

I need to muster up the energy to get my taxes finished.

As for professional sports, they have always been near and dear to me throughout my life. I learned to read with the sports page. I learned math with statistics in the newspaper. I learned to give my all and always do my best. I learned sometimes you must make sacrifices for the good of the team and so much more from sports. Sports have been a tremendous positive influence in my life. For a young man with little guidance from my family, the things I learned from sports became my moral compass.

I cannot control the greed that permeates professional sports any more than I can control the greed that permeates our capitalist society. Capitalism with a conscience is the only way, but some ignore their conscience.

The worst part for me is when I see the greed on the playing field; ducking hard hit balls, refusing to play through minor pain, not doing the selfless, little things that can help the team win and so much more.

I don’t like it when any individual thinks they are bigger than the game. I don’t see the playing field as a platform to promote a cause, any cause. The playing field is where you set an example of how to live by the way you play the game. Say what ever you want off the playing field, but let your actions speak for themselves on the playing field.

Having said all that, I miss the competition of playing sports. As an old man who can no longer play, I miss watching young players give their all to win and establish themselves. I doubt anything will ever diminish my love for sports. Sports are too deeply interwoven into who I am to ever turn my back on sports.

Play Ball!

Have a great day Everybody!

Today's foray down the 5th Sub from Logan is a long train of empty stack cars, heading for storage again. What makes this trip notable is that it's late in the afternoon and the sun is low in the west, creating some interesting hi and low lights

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society
The W/B coming off the 2nd sub onto the 5th sub at Logan
1594209266762.png

Shade covers the foreground as they depart Logan, The bluff in the background the only thing brightly lit by the setting sun
1594209545296.png

Author
close to the yard limits engineer Micky gets into it a little
1594209751428.png

Dippers, dipping in the not so deep Madison, wave to the crew and Mickey gives them a toot on the horn in return. The sun reflects off the whiteness of the walking and riding trail bridge.
1594210075901.png

Author
Coming into Sappington as the sun starts to set with the old Milwaukee road ROW wishing it had something on it
1594210423537.png

Author
Coming out of the first canyon west of Sappington
1594210680379.png

Author
Along the Jefferson River
1594210989285.png

Author
A friendly wave from Mickey

1594211517260.png

More sharply defined imagery. The picture should enlarge when clicked on and you may see the train of stacks, stretching out in the background, over to the right, where they pass behind the low bluff with the bare earthen face.
1594211875461.png

1594212102068.png

A couple more before we leave.

Good Morning All. Clear and 73° in my neighborhood. High today only expected to be 93° with a heat index of 102°.
From the Weather Underground:
" Mainly sunny to start, then a few afternoon clouds. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High 93F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. "
I like that "stray afternoon thunderstorm" part.:(
Gradual warming trend coming up with temperatures over 100° and heat index over 110° by Saturday. Normal July weather for us.
Got the granddog delivered back to her home and brought my wife back with me yesterday. Made my appointment with the dermatologist and had a lesion removed. Off to the lab it went. Idle thought. Why do dermatologists have such perfect looking skin. At least mine does.
Man, the tomatoes keep coming. Between Monday and Tuesday, I picked enough to fill an empty beer case full, over 25 pounds. They do look to be diminishing in the coming days, several plants have already succumbed to the heat. Continuing to pick both bell and jalapeno peppers and it looks like I'll be making another batch of salsa this week.

Bagel, cream cheese and a pile of sausage for me this morning Francine. Large OJ to wash it all down.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's layout progress; Steven, Joe, Chad, Louis, Patrick, Sherrel, Jerome, Tom O, Guy, Phil, Chet, Garry, Curt, James, Tom.

Yesterday in the train shed, I began the slow process of installing the hairpin fencing between the museum and the tracks. I got the first two sections installed and I am waiting for glue to dry. No pictures yet.
Meanwhile I processed the additional two building flats, applied an overspray of dull coat and cut them out. One thing that I do with them all, is to hide the white "paper edge" that shows up when mounted.
07-08-20 071.JPG

I do this by just using a black Sharpie marker along the edge (from the backside to avoid slips).
Here's the difference.
07-08-20 072.JPG

I temporarily placed them in position to get a feel for the scene.
07-08-20 073.JPG

07-08-20 074.JPG

When I finally put on my Bob Ross hat, I'll extend the roadway into the backdrop. That's not necessarily something that comes easy for me. I have to think about it and plan before grabbing the paintbrush.
I had a little idle time and retrieved the track and layout cleaning tools so I could begin the quarterly layout cleaning on the next section of the layout.
A little background for those of you who are new here. I have divided my large layout into eight roughly equal sections of about 40', and I do a "deep" cleaning on one section at a time at the beginning of each calendar quarter, thus taking two years from beginning to end. Then repeat again. It's too much to retain my interest to attempt to do the entire layout at once, especially as I see areas that could use some immediate improvement as I go. In most cases there's not a lot of real cleaning involved, removing most structures and dusting them off and in many cases applying additional detail parts or doing some touch up painting. Same with the vehicles. Most figures are fixed in place but still get a cleaning. I also inspect the track ROW for any stray parts prior to vacuuming and then lightly cleaning it. My track does not tend to get dirty, so that is not too intensive.
At the beginning of this year, partly due to requests from some Coffee Shop visitors, I began the process of documenting things as I went along. The results of the first two sections of the lower level are documented in the January and April Coffee Shops. I will be starting the next (third) section shortly. In the meantime I will still be involved on the current project, and of course running trains.

Joe - With the addition of a real tire or two, those bases can make for a realistic scenic addition.
Curt - Those background flats came courtesy of fellow forum member Tomkat and his thread from 2012 called "Background Flats You Can Use". He posted hundreds of them. Admin Bob restored all of them after the PhotoBucket fiasco.
Dave - I'll see if I can remember to get a picture or two of my Middlesex Mfg. later today.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 73° in my neighborhood. High today only expected to be 93° with a heat index of 102°.
From the Weather Underground:
" Mainly sunny to start, then a few afternoon clouds. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High 93F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. "
I like that "stray afternoon thunderstorm" part.:(
Gradual warming trend coming up with temperatures over 100° and heat index over 110° by Saturday. Normal July weather for us.
Got the granddog delivered back to her home and brought my wife back with me yesterday. Made my appointment with the dermatologist and had a lesion removed. Off to the lab it went. Idle thought. Why do dermatologists have such perfect looking skin. At least mine does.
Man, the tomatoes keep coming. Between Monday and Tuesday, I picked enough to fill an empty beer case full, over 25 pounds. They do look to be diminishing in the coming days, several plants have already succumbed to the heat. Continuing to pick both bell and jalapeno peppers and it looks like I'll be making another batch of salsa this week.

Bagel, cream cheese and a pile of sausage for me this morning Francine. Large OJ to wash it all down.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's layout progress; Steven, Joe, Chad, Louis, Patrick, Sherrel, Jerome, Tom O, Guy, Phil, Chet, Garry, Curt, James, Tom.

Yesterday in the train shed, I began the slow process of installing the hairpin fencing between the museum and the tracks. I got the first two sections installed and I am waiting for glue to dry. No pictures yet.
Meanwhile I processed the additional two building flats, applied an overspray of dull coat and cut them out. One thing that I do with them all, is to hide the white "paper edge" that shows up when mounted.
View attachment 115093
I do this by just using a black Sharpie marker along the edge (from the backside to avoid slips).
Here's the difference.
View attachment 115094
I temporarily placed them in position to get a feel for the scene.
View attachment 115095
View attachment 115096
When I finally put on my Bob Ross hat, I'll extend the roadway into the backdrop. That's not necessarily something that comes easy for me. I have to think about it and plan before grabbing the paintbrush.
I had a little idle time and retrieved the track and layout cleaning tools so I could begin the quarterly layout cleaning on the next section of the layout.
A little background for those of you who are new here. I have divided my large layout into eight roughly equal sections of about 40', and I do a "deep" cleaning on one section at a time at the beginning of each calendar quarter, thus taking two years from beginning to end. Then repeat again. It's too much to retain my interest to attempt to do the entire layout at once, especially as I see areas that could use some immediate improvement as I go. In most cases there's not a lot of real cleaning involved, removing most structures and dusting them off and in many cases applying additional detail parts or doing some touch up painting. Same with the vehicles. Most figures are fixed in place but still get a cleaning. I also inspect the track ROW for any stray parts prior to vacuuming and then lightly cleaning it. My track does not tend to get dirty, so that is not too intensive.
At the beginning of this year, partly due to requests from some Coffee Shop visitors, I began the process of documenting things as I went along. The results of the first two sections of the lower level are documented in the January and April Coffee Shops. I will be starting the next (third) section shortly. In the meantime I will still be involved on the current project, and of course running trains.

Joe - With the addition of a real tire or two, those bases can make for a realistic scenic addition.
Curt - Those background flats came courtesy of fellow forum member Tomkat and his thread from 2012 called "Background Flats You Can Use". He posted hundreds of them. Admin Bob restored all of them after the PhotoBucket fiasco.
Dave - I'll see if I can remember to get a picture or two of my Middlesex Mfg. later today.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie are you canning the salsa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back