Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1593873360205.png

Happy Independence Day everyone. Keep cool & stay safe. Gonna be another triple H(hazy, hot & humid) day here, with heat indexes in the 90’s again & potential afternoon storms. Already 84 at 10:30, so who knows, we might crack the 90’s again today.
343925FD-D902-4B28-9E64-496213819FAE.jpeg

Tom- according to Google Earth, to is the current name of the mill in Mosinee.
1B659474-36B4-49CE-B7A5-F42CB0E2D0AE.jpeg

Flo- porkroll, egg & Colby(the only uniquely American cheese) & a cuppa block joe. Side of American Fries & a cinnamon roll, please.
Willie- when I get to the point of putting scenery materials(foam board, track & scenery product) down on my benchwork, I’m looking into a portable AC unit, as the windows in our place slide horizontally, so a window unit is not an option for the train room.

Happy Independence Day everyone. Keep cool & stay safe. Gonna be another triple H(hazy, hot & humid) day here, with heat indexes in the 90’s again & potential afternoon storms. Already 84 at 10:30, so who knows, we might crack the 90’s again today.
View attachment 114960

Tom- according to Google Earth, to is the current name of the mill in Mosinee.
View attachment 114959

Flo- porkroll, egg & Colby(the only uniquely American cheese) & a cuppa block joe. Side of American Fries & a cinnamon roll, please.
Willie- when I get to the point of putting scenery materials(foam board, track & scenery product) down on my benchwork, I’m looking into a portable AC unit, as the windows in our place slide horizontally, so a window unit is not an option for the train room.

Thanks Mike, that is at least 3name changes to the Mill since we left in 9/2014. It will always be Mosinee Papers to me. Just like the Wisconsin Rapids mill will always be Consolidated Paper. At one time Mosinee was the number 1 supplier of the Kraft paper towels you used to find in commercial rest rooms.

TomO

Happy fourth everyone. Firing up the grill today. Baby back Ribs, brats, and some smoked sausage. I had the COSF out this week for one last test run of the complete consist. I had to see that 12-5 in the train! Unfortunately the I-Phone (or any cell camera for that matter) just doesn't do the models justice. I'll have to take out the video camera and tripod one day and do a proper video. For now though, this will do. This will be the last large consist passenger train I do. I have a few other trains I want to put together, but I'll do them out of cars I have on hand. This one turned out well but I began to feel like a government contractor towards the end of it. Not a chance in hell of staying within the budget!

thumbnail_20200704_080550.jpg

I hope everyone has a happy 4th of July. I have to put our flag out on all holidays.

Phil - You do sound a bit grumpy with the weather you have down there. I never could get used to the humidity.

Curt - Thanks for posting the track plan. Looks interesting. I do see a lot of switching opportunities.

Tom O - Appreciate the heads up on the chip pile. Something like that would work for a sanding facility.

IBKen - Glad that you got the A/C back up and running. Heat and humidity is something I have a hard time with.

Louis - Like your photos as usual. Nice going. That shot of the trolley is outstanding.

Willie - You keep putting buildings and mini scenes on your layout and just about the time I think you may be coming close to running out of room you come up with more vacant real estate. Glad to know that I'm not the only one noticing the way meat prices have gone up. We still have plenty of meat down in the freezer from the side we got just before the prices skyrocketed, even sharing it with my son and his wife and my daughter and grand kids.

Sherrel - Nice shot of the southern freight train. Always liked their color choices. Congrats on the MIL making it to the 99 mark.

Alan - Sweet looking train. Nice work.

Guess I should get a few chores done outside and then help the wife get ready for the friends we have coming over this afternoon.

Here are some old photos again from the archives.

The first is the little prairie that I really enjoy because with the new can motor in what was just a beat up old locomotive in a junk box has turned into one smooth running loco for switching.

Prairie.jpg

This brass consolidation is probably my favorite steamer. Unfortunately, the front coupler is an operating coupler so any switching has to be done from the tender.

thumbnail_20190419_103948.jpg

Here's the Chevy dealership.

thumbnail_20190902_105122.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_120307.jpg

Here's the RDC pulling into Churchill to pick up passengers.

thumbnail_20191014_050800.jpg

Getting ready to fill up the fuel truck.

thumbnail_20191013_151956.jpg

Lastly, here's what I saw from the parking lot at the club last week.

thumbnail_20190829_160313.jpg

Have a great 4th.

Later

Good Morning Everyone......sunny and warm here in Wisconsin. Hopefully we'll get some rain.

I was very ill Thursday evening and my wife was concerned that I could have the Corvid-19 since I had many of the signs of the virus. No sleep at all on Thursday night but Friday I slept most of all day and night. I when to the hospital since my history isn't good for me to get the virus and I took the test yesterday after lunch. The hospital just called and I tested negative for the virus. Thank God.

Its funny that even with shooters' cabin several hundred yards away through te woods, I can't heard the man when he is working in the yard of woods. I've seen his wife, but I haven't seen or heard from him or even see him drive by in the last three weeks. . Wonder what happen to him.

Nothing to report oin the railroad front. But, I still plan on going to cabin for the carpet cleaners to do their work and we close the claim.
The bullets through the glass doors spread small bits of glass thou out the cabin.

"Thanks Mike, that is at least 3name changes to the Mill since we left in 9/2014. It will always be Mosinee Papers to me. Just like the Wisconsin Rapids mill will always be Consolidated Paper. At one time Mosinee was the number 1 supplier of the Kraft paper towels you used to find in commercial rest rooms."-TomO

I am always concerned about our industries being sold to foreign (mainly China) interests and America is left without the necessary heavy industry and most electronics manufactures to maintain a strong military during a conflict. Look at Milwaukee, once the "Tool Box" of American. Now most of the major industries are foreign owned or gone. Patrick Cudahy, a large producer of pork products is owned by the Chinese. Now, the pork in China has a new virus. Smithfield, a nice American name is owned by Patrick Cudahy. Wonder why these companies were allow to leave America. Enough said about the state of America.

Here's my favorite watering hole near the cabin. Its a 15 mile drive and plenty of deer on the roads.

Happy Fourth Of July America!!!

1593878995387.png

The Trading Post, the site of an actual trading post that was built in the 1860's, A filling station and a bar was constructed on the site of the former trading post and it burned to ground in 2006 or 07. The current trading post was build hand made by a male and woman using the same methods and techniques used in the early construction days. The logs are from Montana since they do shrink or split like some White Pine logs do after time. I had my 70th Birthday party in the lower level of the Post. On the lower level is the Whiskey and Cigar bar that over looks the Rattle Snake Creek. We own some land further down the creek that I can walk to the Rattle Snack and fish for trout.

Since this photo was takennew tables and chairs have been added.

Last edited:
Happy Fourth! Stay safe and be careful but enjoy. I'll be cutting weeds on our lot (got a nasty gram from the city on the 2nd) and then taking the kids to my parent's house for hamburgers and games. Wife has to work today.

Be careful with your fireworks. There was a major fire in Utah last week caused by careless fireworks usage. This is about 20 miles south of me. We drive by here every week for the kids' music lessons and band practice.

First part of this one:

There was another fire across the lake from the above one

OK .. I was trying to get to the picture of the Seaboard Centipede that I had mentioned to JOE a day or so back. It seems I did not ever combine the "split" shot into one photo - so I am just posting the entire article from 'Trains'.
Hope you don't mind?

Attachments

• Weems Train Watching 01.pdf
    16.8 MB · Views: 133
Howdy ..... I'm taking a break for a few minutes from our company while they swim in the lake. .... We've been swimming, boating, fishing, and eating constantly.

Happy 4th of July !

I took the photos below in Detroit during the Bi-centennial celebration.

35930540524_bc8bdbc956_b.jpg

36595047872_47452dae10_b.jpg

In the second photo, you can see the Renaissance Center under construction.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Starting to rain here after about 30 minutes of thunder. I ran errands this morning then after lunch I installed a plug (power and USB) into a IKEA couch table that afterwards the wife decided she didn't like (this was entirely her idea) :mad:. Instead of just putting it in the garage I put it in-between the grandkids beds (fits nicely) and now we don't need night stands for them.

Talked to Phil for a little bit today, and he is surviving like most of us.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY.

Louis- Nice pictures.

Guy- That should be a nice addition to the layout.

TomO- You did the other side of the wood chip pile vey nicely.

Willie- Thank you. Nice building, it fits right in.

Sherrel- Happy Birthday to your MIL.

Alan- Beautiful consist. You have every reason to be proud of your modeling.

Chet- Great layout pictures.

Chad- I hope the fires stay away from you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Alan: Fantastic COSF Train!

Chad: nasty wildfires.

Curt: Last night the Thund.er and lightening finally overwhelmed all the fireworks activity (Sounded like an intense firefight). However the rain lasted a whole 30 seconds, and dampened nothing. Repeat after me, the wife never has bad ideas, there is only bad execution of ideas. o_O

Garry:
Nice photos.

Sherrel:
That's a great article, I recall seeing it back in the day... You have joined the ranks of those with a block station named after them...o_O.

Enjoy the rest of this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back