Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I go playing with the “button” again!
1593857782476.png

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 71.

KEN, something to think about, as far as getting a new a/c unit now and holding it in reserve: The manufacturer's warranty clock starts ticking the day you buy it, whether you use it or not. It may be better to swap out to a new unit now, while the old one still works, and keep the working old one in reserve for when the new one fails in 3 years.

Howdy from out West where it was a HOT one yesterday - 95 in the shade!
Today is forecast at 90 with sharp clear skies. (I think we will exceed that figure)

Went to the bank yesterday afternoon to co-sign the daughter's new car. SIL fu^&%d up his credit rating by missing a student loan payment when he moved - it put a huge dent in their credit rating - so I agreed to help them out with a lower interest rate by 2% + I wouldn't mind having that car if they can't pay (LOL). On the way home, we stopped at DQ where I found a Vanilla Malt - places are few and far out here when it comes to malts - it's the only thing I really crave every now and then.

IBKEN - I wish you the best with your decision on the a/c. Louis has some very valid points (maybe I should hire him for my personal advice)?

BTW - LOUIS - Very nice pictures this morning.

I know that I had more to say this morning - a senior moment I guess?

While I'm thinking - FLO - I'll have a breakfast burrito this morning -lots of salsa, please!

Good July 4th Morning, Everyone! - 47F here this morning, with only a 15% chance that mother nature will continue trying to drown us out. We have had a lot of rain over the past week. I'm hearing that this past Thursday's total was 50mm of rain in a hurry, and the campground down by the river was evacuated.
Have a wonderful Independence Day, my American friends. Maybe you'll have to settle for virtual fireworks, like we had to on the July 1st, Canada Day. Actually, I prefer it that way, anyway.

Even though I'm Canadian, July 4th has some meaning for me, as well. It's my eldest daughters birthday; born July 4th, 1973.
It is also the day that the Barn Swallows that have been nesting in my bird houses every year for the past 25, leave the nest after raising up the new family. They always fly the coop on July 4th, every year, and it becomes a lot lonelier in the backyard. Here's a photo I took yesterday of one of the Swallow's checking out the nest, near the last time for 2020:
IMG_9022.JPG

I've noted some very nice layout photos being posted over the last days. Well done, everyone!
On my end, I picked up a Walthers Corner Stone building. I believe this hobby shop is a reissue of other business buildings, with a different store-front developed for the kit.
IMG_9025.JPG

Frankly, I don't really care for plastic buildings, as you have to be a very good artist to keep them real looking. I don't know how to scratch-build brick walls, though, other than meticulously scribing a clay surface. So, I'll settle for a couple of plastic buildings with a 1960's look. This one will become a Marshall-Wells Hardware; I remember one similar from my youth.

So far there has not been a single verified virus case in my area, so knock on wood. There has been the usual rumors that some people feel the need to spread; but, nothing for certain. Most everything is open, except for the gym's, and people are being respectful of social distancing. It's business as usual, for the most part.

Before it turns into a novel, I had better bid you adieu! Have a great day, everyone! Have a wonderful Independence Day!

Good morning and Happy 4th of July. We actually heard fireworks last night. Unlike New Yorkers I believe Wisconites are more frugal with their firework spending. I like fireworks but every night like NYC would drive me nuts.

mikeinhubcity: the pulp yard is based on a combination of a few mills. The openness to the street of the Nekossa Domtar Mill, the soon to be shuttered giant mill in Wisconsin Rapids, whatever the latest name for Mosinee’s mill and yes the Domtar mill in Rothschild. I had started with a Engineering blue print copy, about 6’ long of the Mosinee mill of 1990. When I started building it, I built the pulp yard and conveyor system my way. 2017 NewYears eve a retired director of operations at the plant was in the trainroom told me I had it all wrong. Embarrassed me in front of a few people and hasn’t been invited to anything since. When I redid the Mill that year I went with ideas I had seen from the 17 mills in the hundred miles between Rhinelander and Nekossa on the Wisconsin River but mainly the 4 mentioned. I really enjoy working and re-working my Paper Mill, but it has affected the balance of the layout.

mid 90’s today, beautifully clear skies, high humidities and little breeze. I will stay on the deck for another hour when it will be too hot and head to the trainroom. Enjoy your day. TomO

this picture is looking East straight toward the abandon quarry in the far corner. As we look left we start to see the heavy workings of the north end of the Mill
0BB33968-1763-4B7C-A434-09B8C961E46E.jpeg

Last edited:
Good July 4th Morning, Everyone! - 47F here this morning, with only a 15% chance that mother nature will continue trying to drown us out. We have had a lot of rain over the past week. I'm hearing that this past Thursday's total was 50mm of rain in a hurry, and the campground down by the river was evacuated.
Have a wonderful Independence Day, my American friends. Maybe you'll have to settle for virtual fireworks, like we had to on the July 1st, Canada Day. Actually, I prefer it that way, anyway.

Even though I'm Canadian, July 4th has some meaning for me, as well. It's my eldest daughters birthday; born July 4th, 1973.
It is also the day that the Barn Swallows that have been nesting in my bird houses every year for the past 25, leave the nest after raising up the new family. They always fly the coop on July 4th, every year, and it becomes a lot lonelier in the backyard. Here's a photo I took yesterday of one of the Swallow's checking out the nest, near the last time for 2020:
View attachment 114945

I've noted some very nice layout photos being posted over the last days. Well done, everyone!
On my end, I picked up a Walthers Corner Stone building. I believe this hobby shop is a reissue of other business buildings, with a different store-front developed for the kit.
View attachment 114946
Frankly, I don't really care for plastic buildings, as you have to be a very good artist to keep them real looking. I don't know how to scratch-build brick walls, though, other than meticulously scribing a clay surface. So, I'll settle for a couple of plastic buildings with a 1960's look. This one will become a Marshall-Wells Hardware; I remember one similar from my youth.

So far there has not been a single verified virus case in my area, so knock on wood. There has been the usual rumors that some people feel the need to spread; but, nothing for certain. Most everything is open, except for the gym's, and people are being respectful of social distancing. It's business as usual, for the most part.

Before it turns into a novel, I had better bid you adieu! Have a great day, everyone! Have a wonderful Independence Day!

you have done a great job with the mortar line on the Hardware store. Mine always seems to disappear.

TomO

Good Morning All. Happy Independence Day. Mostly clear and 72°. Let's see if we can reach 98° again today before the easterly winds cool things off a bit tomorrow. There was no wind yesterday which made for a somewhat sweltering day when combined with that 98° afternoon temperature. I sweated profusely just picking tomatoes earlier in the day. Overall, I made four trips to the pool which has warmed up to 87°. Stayed busy with household chores yesterday instead of mowing.
Lots of fireworks in the neighborhood last night. I can imagine what tonight will be like.
Grilled one of the New York strip steaks that my son sent me for Father's Day last night.
1593871406636.jpeg

This is the leftover for lunch today.
I had better start on house cleanup today since I will be picking up my wife Tuesday. It isn't in too bad of shape except the granddog hair that's all over the place. I'll just start up the "Roomba" (nicknamed Hazel) and go relax in the pool! Did all of the dishes and laundry yesterday.

Mornin' Flo. How about some Eggs Benedict this morning, make it with Taylor Ham instead of Canadian Bacon.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday regarding the Salon progress; Guy, Sherrel, Chet, Ken, Joe, Curt, Phil, Jerome.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished up the Salon and tried it out in place. Looks like a keeper.
07-04-20 004.JPG

I had mixed up a new batch of mortar wash but I am using a very old camera right now while my wife has the good one on vacation. Several other close-up pictures just didn't work out at all. I'll try for more today, or try to use the phone!
Normally I would be starting my quarterly layout cleanup for the next section of the layout right now. But since I am photo-documenting that process this year, I am going to wait until the good camera returns in a few more days. I should have just bought a new one for me and let her keep the current new one.

Tom O -
Willie, where are you located in Texas?
Era TX sorta! I live about seven miles SE of that very small community. I am in an unincorporated part of the world, about 30 miles NW of Denton TX. Which is about 35 miles north of the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex. I live so far out in the middle of nowhere that my mailbox is actually in a different county and is a mile and a quarter away.
Chet -
Can't believe what happened to the price of beef because the is NO SHORTAGE. I have a coupple of friends who are ranchers and they are telling me that buyers aren't paying much for beef on the hoof.
Yeah! the ranchers around here are saying the same thing regarding beef prices. Processors don't want it since the schools & restaurants closed down. Hard to understand because folks still need to eat!
I still end up cross-eyed after 30 minutes of window and window sill painting.
Ken - I am no expert regarding A/C units, but I have three older LG window units that work very well, 8000 BTU, 12000 BTU , and 18000 BTU (220v). However I purchased a 15000 BTU one for the train shed recently that only lasted 18 months. I replaced it with a 12000 BTU GE brand that cools as good as the 15000 one. A serviceman told us that LG units made in the last 5 years are very crappy. I like Terry's suggestion if you have the room to store the old one.
Curt - Nice layout plan.
Louis - Bored this morning? ;) Are you completely skipping your traditional July 4 festivities this year? Or just having an abbreviated version? I was looking forward to driving by and enjoying Angela's crab cakes.

Everybody have a great Independence Day and weekend. Keep safe with the fireworks. Eat big slabs of grilled or barbecued meat, and enjoy some cold ones if that's your preference. I'll be alone, so the brisket will remain in the freezer until some time next week.

Heat and humidity already oppressive. .Grass and weeds getting higher. Never too old to cut the mustard, I'm to old to cut the grass.

TOM- You should have told him it's your RR ,built to your enjoyment, not his.. and , Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Hope y'all have a safe day
Phil

ps- Anyone interested in a video of the SELKIRK CSX yard ?

Last edited:
Today is the MIL's 99th Birthday! She is getting pretty frail but hanging in there.
Usually, we all have a large family get-together - but this year will be very subdued.

Last night the youngest daughter placed 99 roses on the island in the kitchen for her to see when she awakes this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back