Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inner harbor is now bankrupt and in receivership. There goes all those minimum wage jobs cleaning hotel rooms, folding sheets and serving meals. Schaffer was popular because he was great at "gas lighting" people, sound familiar?

Louis: To the rest of the Urban World, of the 70s, Schaffer was a Pioneer, hero and icon of how to transform a city from a dirty manufacturing center to a gleaming tourist attraction. All this conveniently ignored the uncomfortable fact that Colleges and Universities, Hospitals and other "clean" non profits are generally exempt from property taxes, while undesirable manufacturing facilities did. So when we built "World Trade Centers" where world trade actually used to be conducted, and created retail and restaurants to replace warehouses, in the Schaffer manner, we actually shot ourselves into the foot. Not to mention accelerated the outward migration of the middle and working class.

Harbor Place was a fun place to go with the family, in it's prime. After the highly publicized riots , thEe tourists were scared away.

El Supremo and saint Elijah are cut from the same mold, and neither has clean hands. Just two ruthless individuals snarling at each other. Politics is the art of the possible, and all you have to do is tell the best story. Follow the money.

Boris

Good Morning All, again. Back to the regularly scheduled post.
Thanks to one and all for the comments and likes on the dumpster enclosure; Sherrel, Louis, Johnny, Jerome, Patrick, Chad, Chet.
No pictures today as I have been rather busy.

Another day of very little train shed time yesterday. No modeling was attempted, but I did run some trains for about thirty minutes before grabbing a cold one and heading for the pool. Got some outdoor projects to deal with this morning while caring for my wife, who is trying to exert some increasing independence. She really misses the pool already.

Johnny - Good photos. Don't be super concerned about some of the minor imperfections. Most of them cannot be seen with the naked eye, only with these high definition cameras. As Joe posted, many urban structures show some imperfection as well.
Louis - Smaller volumes of water like your 4500 gallon pool will heat up and cool off more rapidly than larger ones. My 14000 gallon pool takes two or three days to drop or rise 2°.
To you and others like Ken who live in Baltimore, I certainly think that some of the recent news hype is far off base. I only agree with the comments regarding corruption. Rat infested, crime ridden third world areas exist in every urban city. I have seen some really beautiful pictures of parts of Baltimore, including your neighborhood. As a regular reader of the Baltimore Sun (due to your political circus there), I also am quite aware that crime seems to be confined to a few small areas, primarily because of political decisions made by the corrupt politicians that I referenced, but also prosecutors and police officials.
While Elijah deserves a lot of criticism for his views, he represents a whole district and has very little say in how things are run locally. I think that some comments made toward him lately are misguided. He probably only goes to Baltimore to pick up the campaign checks. Hope that this isn't considered too political.
Greg - I agree completely with your Grandmother regarding one's mind being in charge or one's body. Best wishes on a quick recovery.
Garry - Cool pictures. Enjoy the rest of the trip and be safe.

Who is the imposter taking Terry's place this morning?
Adios All and have a great last day of July. See you in the new shop tomorrow.

Morning all,

Got the fires out from yesterday, so I had time to get caught back up this morning. I have time for the full Blue plate this morning and coffee.

I love those recirculating ice coolers. I own 2 of them. The trick is keeping the humidity lower in the house so they don't "sweat". Something about cold pipes and high humidity....Wet gauzy bandages aren't fun.

It nearly peach time in Doo-Dah. The variety I have in the yard are nearing readiness. I may actually start this evening. Wife has always given me some grief on them, but this year we're going to have an overabundance (3+ bushels). Not to bad since I only planted the trees 5 years ago. Last year 90% of them froze in a late freeze.

On my 4th cup of coffee from my new coffee maker. BTW, I don't like the K-cup things - not sure about the plastic used to make them. So MOH and I prefer a percolator-type coffee maker. This one is good so far!

Willie - thanks for the update on your wife's recovery. We'll continue praying for the pain to subside quickly and for rehab to go well for her.

Boris, Chet, and anyone else - thanks for the comments on the photos I posted. I agree with you, Chet - the phone camera gives a better resolution than the iPad. I may try my Canon SLR and see how that works, just for comparison.

See ya.

Good morning all, 69 and sunny, headed for 75.

Shaping up to be a pretty easy day at work, running a set of tests on 1 sample tons of waiting between procedures. Tomorrow or friday will make up for it, sounds like one of the days will be 14 hours.

Johnny-- the camera in the phone looks superior to the ipad one. Nice scenes!

Patrick-- I had a couple teeth yanked over the years. My mouth was not big enough, could never get behind the back ones with floss, like they were grown right in. Finally the dentist agreed.

I wish we could grow peaches here!

My grandmother called our teeth our "pearls" and continually encouraged we look after them. She still has hers and she has been dead for 20 years ;)

Willie-- gonna make a some spending money on the Vicadin?:cool:

Garry-- I really enjoy the cog photos

more later, Dave

Who is the imposter taking Terry's place this morning?
I'm removing everything from all of my accounts across the 'net that could be considered "humor", "wit", or "sarcasm". It's a long story, but it seems I need to make sure I don't express anything that I could consider funny. Part of that includes removing anything that could be an inspiration for it.
Seriously.

I'm removing everything from all of my accounts across the 'net that could be considered "humor", "wit", or "sarcasm". It's a long story, but it seems I need to make sure I don't express anything that I could consider funny. Part of that includes removing anything that could be an inspiration for it.
Seriously.
????? I have always enjoyed your humor, wit and sarcasm on this forum. Hope that the situation is only temporary.

????? I have always enjoyed your humor, wit and sarcasm on this forum. Hope that the situation is only temporary.
It will stop the day I retire. The life of Retail, where a customer complaint is a death sentence. And more and more people will complain to get their way. I just need to completely get away from the temptation of saying (or doing, or posting) anything that might be considered humorous or offensive in any way. It was driven home to me in the most direct manner possible that not all our customers share my sense of humor. Or even have a sense of humor.

Seriously.
What's the matter?
Has your mind conjured up another internet conspiracy?
Never forget: We are all just pawns and destined to serfdom - such is our role in the big game.

Willie, my pool has fluctuated between 79 in the morning and 94 by late afternoon. Of course that varies from day to day depending on the weather of the particular day.

I'll tell you two things about Elijah Cummings many people do not know.
1. Maryland's 7th congressional district, Mr. Cummings' district has the 2nd highest per capita income of any majority African American district in the nation. That's not to say there are not pockets of blight in west Baltimore, but for the most part his district is doing well. I believe Richard Nixon was right in that he said and I am paraphrasing "welfare will create generations of welfare recipients", "they don't need welfare, they need jobs".
2. Mr. Cummings comes home to Baltimore almost every night. He commutes daily to Washington DC from his home in the 7th district.

Crime in Baltimore is driven by drugs for the most part. Violence is mostly between drug dealers and people who don't pay. Burglary and other thefts are mostly from addicts supporting their addictions.

The war on drugs has been and is a miserable and extremely costly failure. Dope is cheaper than ever because the supply is bigger than ever. At the port of Baltimore they estimate they interdict about 10% of the containers loaded with dope. Importers see that 10% as a cost of doing business and their profits are larger than ever! Programs like "just say no" were seen as a joke, I knew people who would sarcastically say "just say yo, pass it here" Like prohibition, the laws made the "dry" crowd feel good, but they have in fact had the opposite effect.

Well -- After reading your last -- I understand. It seems that only a few like minds share a humorous march.

Louis: To the rest of the Urban World, of the 70s, Schaffer was a Pioneer, hero and icon of how to transform a city from a dirty manufacturing center to a gleaming tourist attraction. All this conveniently ignored the uncomfortable fact that Colleges and Universities, Hospitals and other "clean" non profits are generally exempt from property taxes, while undesirable manufacturing facilities did. So when we built "World Trade Centers" where world trade actually used to be conducted, and created retail and restaurants to replace warehouses, in the Schaffer manner, we actually shot ourselves into the foot. Not to mention accelerated the outward migration of the middle and working class.

Harbor Place was a fun place to go with the family, in it's prime. After the highly publicized riots , thEe tourists were scared away.

El Supremo and saint Elijah are cut from the same mold, and neither has clean hands. Just two ruthless individuals snarling at each other. Politics is the art of the possible, and all you have to do is tell the best story. Follow the money.

Boris

The Inner Harbor has struggled financially ever since their property tax credits expired. The riots and violence only escalated the colapse.

I have to disagree with you, Mr. Cummings is a man of great moral character. I don't always agree with him and his ideology, but I always respect him. Having graduated form the University Law School in 1976 and being admitted to the Maryland Bar later that same year he could have made a fortune by continuing his 19 years of practicing law. He could have moved to Columbia or some other posh suburb, but instead he stayed and choose to represent the people of Baltimore at the expense of his own personal wealth. Rather than to draw a comparison to the other guy, I'll just leave it at that.

It will stop the day I retire. The life of Retail, where a customer complaint is a death sentence. And more and more people will complain to get their way. I just need to completely get away from the temptation of saying (or doing, or posting) anything that might be considered humorous or offensive in any way. It was driven home to me in the most direct manner possible that not all our customers share my sense of humor. Or even have a sense of humor.
Appreciation for your brand of humor often requires intelligence. That is something that is in short supply in today's day and age.

The members of this forum have no trouble appreciating your humor. I think it's safe to speak for everyone when I say we enjoy it!

Bring back Gomez!

How about some good news?!

The Orioles finished the month of July (they have an off day today) with 12 wins and 12 loses. That's the first month without a losing record since August of 2017!!!
1564594843220.png

1564595045807.png

Here is a great train picture, I know nothing about, but I found it on Bing and like it! I buy mostly diesels, but real steam engines look so cool!
Here is one of my favorite train songs to go with it.

Terry - sorry to hear of your latest bad experience! I, too, have occasionally found myself in trouble because of people with zero sense of humor, who say that "laughter is for fools." o_O:mad: I've always found it mind-boggling that such people could even exist...but unfortunately they do!

Cabin fever has overtaken me these past few days, with my recovery seeming to be at a plateau. My medical leave expires on August 13; although pain is no longer an issue, I'm still dealing with other consequences of the surgery - and I fear that I won't yet be sufficiently able to function in a corporate environment by that date.

In other news, I finished reading the entire bound volume of TRAINS for CY 1971. Now I'm into the one for 1968. I would've preferred 1970 or even 1969, but the sellers wanted a King's Ransom for those. Still a lot of interesting reading in this one at least...

Figured I'd stop in real quick before I head to bed. Survived another day of heat here in West Virginia. Extended forecast is keeping it around for the foreseeable future. At any rate I received my GP7 in the mail today. Two days earlier than expected. Pretty good given USPS was the one who delivered it. That's all I have for now.
IMG_20190801_002313073.jpg

IMG_20190801_002339539.jpg

IMG_20190801_002325905.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back