Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know, for sure, how they develop the list of potential side effects? I wonder if it isn't part of a disclaimer written by some Trial Lawyer. I have also heard that they are based on trials before FDA approval, and most side effects reported, are minimal percentages of the whole, at best. I was recently prescribed Doxycycline monohydrate 100 mg capsule twice daily for seven days, for a respiratory infection. No adverse reactions, and the infection cleared up as intended. The end result...clearing up the infection...was worth the risk of some obscure reaction.

Boris: This site allow you to enter a drugs name and get all the side effects associated with it. From what I was reading in some cases the adverse effects can be quite serious to say the least !

Good morning gang
31 degrees with a rain/snow mix until late morning, ending as all rain with a high of 46.
County road crews have been out since yesterday spraying the roads with a brine mixture. Meant to keep them ice free. I don’t understand the need since the ground below is not frozen and will cause this mix to just melt on contact. Sometimes I think this brine mixture is subsidized by the car dealer industry since it causes cars to rust out so much faster that they have to be replaced after they’re exposed to it.
Looks like I’ll be washing the underside of my truck again today.
BBL

Kind of a drastic measure!
The old car was a Kia that distinguished itself to me by blowing up the engine 16 hours after I purchased it. I've been concerned about the next big failure, and the fact I am not allowed to do anything to my car where I live, other than replace a flat tire, or add oil. The new one has all those potential issues taken care of before they start.
Now, I just have to shop for car insurance, since it jumped 300% simply by me moving to this state.

325791229_885914382755743_7689625256153875373_n.jpg

Good morning from my portion of Troy’s map that says 1-3” of potential white stuff. I am just a smidge south on Madison, Wi. on his map. I feel my City is much more important than the State Capital of Wisconsin and should be pinpointed and named on his map. Well we have the 1” of white stuff and currently are in a lull. Arrived as predicted since midnight. My weather app shows starting at 9 till midnight we have 100% chance of the White Gifts from Above (WGFA) being delivered. Total possible for the 24 hours of today is 3-6“ per my weather app. We shall see, we have a start. 1-3” or 3 to 6” should really not be a bother.

Is the national network media getting paid to promote the lotteries? Powerball is at $560 million and local and National ABCNews is telling us to go buy a ticket and then tells us the odds. Statistics do show, the under employed, those least likely to afford the tickets are the majority of those buying. That’s really sad…

After dinner last night I started to reassemble the paper mill layout sections. Since I promised to myself no more working at the bench after supper, I will work on the layout instead if the moods dictate. Last night they did. I am waiting for a couple more tank cars to complete a weathering project.

Terry has medical appointments this afternoon. Maybe an early dinner out if I am invited to drive.

Enjoy the day

OK - Here is my story of the CA DMV! I have lived in 7 states and had "zero" problems with any State until here. I purchased that 98 Dakota P/U new after moving here from MO.
In the early 2000's we sold our home here and moved to Laughlin, NV as I wanted away from CA for tax reasons. Our vehicles were lien free and when I went to the NV DMV to register them, the nice lady said to me, "There is no reason to transfer the title to NV and spend the extra - you just need to register for license plates." Wasn't but an extra $28.00, but $28 is $28.
FAST Forward a few years ---

The Spousal Unit decided that she couldn't take the heat in Laughlin (never below 90f for about 6 months of the year even at night) and she thought she was too far away from kids, G kids and family so she decided to live with her mom and "visit" me in Laughlin. This went on for 6=8 months, had a friend who had friends looking for a place to live, so I rented the house to them and came back to CA where we bought again.
I was happy maintaining my NV residence, but eventually a policeman living a couple houses down stopped by one day and told me that he was not saying anything, but I could be stopped for having the NV plates if other LE's caught on to seeing the truck continuously.
Long story shortened a little - I went to the DMV to register the truck in CA again. I had the title (CA) and the registration (NV) in the same envelope that I handed to him. He looked at the title and tore it up saying that he had no way of knowing that I had not changed the title in NV and I would have to do a title search to prove that the truck was mine.
I tried to argue with him, but to no avail. I said. Fckit, I have no intent to sell the truck, and let it slide. Now comes along a couple years back when I rear-ended someone and the insurance company "totaled" the truck and asked me for the title. I told them the DMV story and they laughed about it as the truck had been insured from them ever since new - and they said forget we asked - we will take care of it.
I am NOT a fan of the DMV here and the last time I had to have my license renewed, I drove to NEEDLES, CA, (4 hours each way) for a walk in renewal with written and eye test. While there I visited and spent the night with a former neighbor.
Sherrel: Ya CA is a PITA. Back in '13 or '14 we took off from Libby looking for a deal on a diesel. Found what we wanted in Bakersfield, paid the title holding bank and headed home with it ( had a rental from Sacramento we dropped in Bakersfield). Well, we made more stops and had some fun! Anyway, since Montana requires you to transfer title if from out of state within 30 days; DL too, I called DMV in Bakersfield whom sent me to the State DMV in Sacramento. No problem they told me and wanted $1200 in taxes for the transfer. What? I live in a sales tax free State - Montana. Oh, they said - will send it in the mail with a $85 bill for the transfer. About a month went by and I got yet another sales tax bill from CA; no Title no transfer. Called again and got the same answers as above. Waited another month and got a sales tax bill again. no transfer bill!
So went to our local title office here in Libby and told them what was going on. They told me to apply for a 'lost title'. Hmmm. Did that and got a temporary title from Montana in the mail in a couple of weeks. Apparently you *could* do this on your neighbor's vehicle. State sends whom ever is on the title a notice. After 6 months and the State does not receive anything from the original owner, they issue a new title. So when it was time to renew my plate, Montana sent me a real title and things were good.

Later

Someday I would like to go to that show, but like Trainfest I would have to stay overnight. Tring to find a place in an area your not familiar with is a pain.
That's the only problem with that show. You can't do it properly in one day! Fortunately, hotels in Springfield at that time of year are cheap. I always stayed at the Sheraton Monarch Place which had a block set aside for the show, but you need to register in advance. There are also Hampton Inns and such. Lodging isn't a problem. Lots of good inexpensive food in the area as well. I wanted to go this year, but work kind of got in the way. Maybe next year!

Mural continues…Gomorra finally looks human…well if you ignore the green!
Detailing is soooo boring.
I have mislaid my decent black…..will have to go hunt it down…sighs.

Painting wagons is faster, and I still need to add more characters. May take a break.

Still finding the right face, and pencil drawing is the bit I 💕 love.
Need t hm y ure haul and see if I can make sone 00 versions, rocket will be fun…another built from scratch dog…coughs racoon

Attachments

• 68AC8824-A0A4-44F3-ADCA-15F8DC1D6A4F.jpeg
    68AC8824-A0A4-44F3-ADCA-15F8DC1D6A4F.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 0EF4ADB5-513E-4732-ADF1-C142F123D07D.jpeg
    0EF4ADB5-513E-4732-ADF1-C142F123D07D.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 20
  • F8CD5AE5-DF58-43A2-99D6-3C683506552D.jpeg
    F8CD5AE5-DF58-43A2-99D6-3C683506552D.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 3ED3E485-4DC9-49ED-B019-755EEEA91EBA.jpeg
    3ED3E485-4DC9-49ED-B019-755EEEA91EBA.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 05C2727F-171D-4E0A-9BAB-A0A8EBF92D95.jpeg
    05C2727F-171D-4E0A-9BAB-A0A8EBF92D95.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 30
  • C41C7E99-D98B-456F-8BAF-A43EEE034FEA.jpeg
    C41C7E99-D98B-456F-8BAF-A43EEE034FEA.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DADAC85F-BE9E-41FC-902D-6C97D77E8B8F.jpeg
    DADAC85F-BE9E-41FC-902D-6C97D77E8B8F.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 37
Morning folks and afternoon for our European fans!
35f and looking for 70f with clear bright sunny skies - tomorrow is planned to be a little cooler and very windy (they predict).
I'm going to do something "train" related today - I'm so bored here lately! The Spousal Unit is yelling at me when I turn the heat up past 70 - and I am freezing below that. Beginning to think that it is because of the huge blood thinner pills that I am taking twice a day. Anyway, her body is like an oven - she just gets tired of me trying to hug her all the time! I keep saying - me or the furnace - what's it going to be ... LOL

I'm just yaking and glad to still be on the top of the grass. I wish I could attend that "show" that you all are talking about? When I was working and on layovers in different cities all over - I always found hobby shops and, if lucky, a club to visit?

Sheeze, TERRY, I think you trade autos more often that I change my shorts? :eek: :):):D

Morning folks and afternoon for our European fans!
35f and looking for 70f with clear bright sunny skies - tomorrow is planned to be a little cooler and very windy (they predict).
I'm going to do something "train" related today - I'm so bored here lately! The Spousal Unit is yelling at me when I turn the heat up past 70 - and I am freezing below that. Beginning to think that it is because of the huge blood thinner pills that I am taking twice a day. Anyway, her body is like an oven - she just gets tired of me trying to hug her all the time! I keep saying - me or the furnace - what's it going to be ... LOL

I'm just yaking and glad to still be on the top of the grass. I wish I could attend that "show" that you all are talking about? When I was working and on layovers in different cities all over - I always found hobby shops and, if lucky, a club to visit?

Sheeze, TERRY, I think you trade autos more often that I change my shorts? :eek: :):):D
If you only change your shorts once a year, I feel sorry for whoever does your laundry…

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 33°, inclement weather seems to have moved on. Snow depth at it's fullest was about 2"; it's disappearing as fast as it appeared. Overall yesterday and overnight, the rain gauge collected 1.25". Gradual warm-up is in store.

The doctor visit yesterday was inconclusive. The blood tests and breathing test that I went through a month ago came back completely normal, and he has no idea why I am short of breath and wheezing. More tests and another visit next month.
I'm taking my wife to Dallas this afternoon for a two day stay with the grandsons. Daughter and SIL are both going to be out of town on business related trips. My other daughter and her husband are also both out of pocket. While the two boys aged 15 & 13 can take care of themselves, the oldest cannot legally drive them to various practices and events. School is just two blocks away and they walk there anyway; and they are adept at using the kitchen. Grandma is needed to be a taxi driver. Daughter will bring her back home Friday.

Drivers licenses and license plates here are in two separate buildings located about two blocks apart. license plates/registrations are easy and normally don't take over 10 minutes. Over at the drivers license place, we now have to go online and schedule an appointment, but there are usually same day appointments available. The next county over (with four offices) is more crowded and you might wait a week or more. Fortunately no one has told those people that they can go to any county in the state.

Thanks for the comments and reactions regarding the "clean" structures shown yesterday.

I did venture out to the train shed yesterday and did some more structure cleaning. I did these four which are just temporarily stored in a 72" x 16" undeveloped space. Three of these will eventually go here, maybe even the fourth.
IMG_2858.JPG

In order to break the monotony, I started the build on the first of the P2K covered hoppers. These are very complex kits, but I really enjoy building them. Here are a few highlights.
The train line is a separately applied part and is quite delicate and takes some time cutting it loose.
IMG_2847.JPG

I went in steps.
IMG_2848.JPG

Here it is with part of the brake gear.
IMG_2850.JPG

I managed to get all of them without breaking anything. So far no other lost or broken parts.
The train line loops and threads it's way around the frame. Here it is with the two brake levers, hatches, shaker brackets and bolsters installed.
IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

At this stage, I have installed 26 parts including much of the B-end brake stuff (not shown).

Tom O - I do the soft drinks, sugar-free A&W Root Beer and Caffeine-Free Diet Coke in the 12 ox cans. Used to be 4-12 packs for $10, now, 18 months later, a sale is 4-12 packs for $14, a 40% increase!!! Only eggs have gone up more and at least there is a legitimate reason for eggs. The soda stash is down to 4-5 weeks. Beer stash is remaining around 6-7 weeks in case of a severe snowstorm. Best estimate of the wife's wine stash is a little over two weeks.
I also never went to train shows looking for sales, just layouts and home tours. Most of the ones locally just had the same old stores bringing in a few tables of their shelf inventory to sell to the visitors to the show. I just patronized their brick & mortar places as there was always more choice. But in the last five or six years prior to Covid, more and more "estate sellers" began to show up and would sell stuff more cheaply and still make a profit. They are also (mostly) willing to barter if you purchase multiple items.
All shows are now in the Dallas suburb of Plano now, since the venue in Ft Worth started charging for parking in 2015.
Sherrel - Thanks for noticing the rail color. Wow!!! $78 for breakfast! You need to find an IHOP or Waffle House!
I would have punched someone in the nose if they tore up my car title.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning all,

Good news is there has been movement in our Network Disruption, so hopefully we'll have something in hand late today. Already got some stuff ready in preparation. Been a learning experience for sure, although not one I wanted this late in my career.

We had about an inch of the white stuff stick overnight and cold enough to make the roads a little slick this morning. Already melting on the roads. Expecting to work over the weekend, but we'll at least know what's up and what to to expect.

Terry: Only 41 pages? I have a 100 page guide on the radio on the wife's Equinox, including how to use the navigation features (which are fun to play with, but since it's a 2016 Garmin map, it's 7 years out of date).

20F at 8:30am and new snow on the ground an inch or so. Dry fluffy stuff. The weather guesser forecast shows it an isolated thing today with the rest of the week until Sunday mostly just partly cloudy. The weather guesser forecast earlier this week was just cloudy today so the snow was a last minute addition.

On house build:
Last two days we got 4 foam wall pieces and a corner installed in the first foam layer of the main floor, along with a bunch of the straightener inserts. Biggest problem was cleaning out the "lego" nubs and holes from concrete, gravel, dirt, etc. About 1 hour each Monday and Tuesday. Should get another hour or 90 min in today and get a few more pieces of wall in on this layer. I also figured out how we can also do the garage walls before we pour the slab so we'll be getting started on that on Saturday. I'm trying to bring my BIL down for help on Saturday.

Work is still a lot of pressure wth all sorts of people needing things from me. Just anther day in the office.

Our local school children can thank the news channels for a snow day today.

All the meteorologists were calling for snowmageddon. We got a couple inches, and most of it is melted already. I drove into the office at 7:00AM this morning to light traffic and clean streets.

Although... I would rather expect bad weather and actually get something more mild than the opposite.

Last edited:
Good Morning all,

Good news is there has been movement in our Network Disruption, so hopefully we'll have something in hand late today. Already got some stuff ready in preparation. Been a learning experience for sure, although not one I wanted this late in my career.

We had about an inch of the white stuff stick overnight and cold enough to make the roads a little slick this morning. Already melting on the roads. Expecting to work over the weekend, but we'll at least know what's up and what to to expect.

Terry: Only 41 pages? I have a 100 page guide on the radio on the wife's Equinox, including how to use the navigation features (which are fun to play with, but since it's a 2016 Garmin map, it's 7 years out of date).
Were you guys victim of ransomware? Our company got hit back in 2020. It took a couple weeks to recover, and we ended up paying the ransom. I'd like to release Liam Neeson on those bad actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back