Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just living the dream out here! Currently 50f and only looking for 59 later as been the same for past 4 days.
Rained overnight - three quarters of an inch - which places us an inch ahead of average this time of year.

The Spousal Unit returned from Newport yesterday somewhat after noon time - and promptly fell asleep in her recliner for a nice three hour nap.

Nothing much planned for today. That was quite a game last evening between Ohio and Georgia - The local Son-in-law (from Georgia) was on cloud nine after suffering immensely as we both thought that Georgia was going to lose!

I built a nice fire and then realized that - once again- I had not brought in any additional firewood.
Will see how the remainder of the day progresses?

Good Morning All. Happy New Years Day. Wispy clouds and 55° going into the upper 70's later today; 90% chance of rain tomorrow. Still have a rather nice weather forecast for the next ten days. A little cooler Wednesday and Thursday, but barely above freezing.
Totally slept through any neighbors fireworks last night, if they had any. Normally the fellow to the west and the retired policeman to the north both put on quite a display. Sleeping through is one advantage to taking out my hearing aids when going to sleep.

Thanks for the likes and comment regarding the tenement apartment yesterday.

I worked outside all day yesterday and I did not go to the train shed until late. Not a lot of time for any real project work, so I dusted and cleaned another handful of those black tank cars. They only show the dust if you touch them! I also looked over the instructions for the Fermentation Tank Detail Kit that will soon be part of the Ethanol refinery scene. Still working on the tanks themselves; they're a bit big and I may have to slice a couple in half. They fit now, but I'm wanting to have a bit more room in front of them. The footprint is 14" from back to front.
A few memorable scenes from the past.
View attachment 158975
View attachment 158976
View attachment 158977View attachment 158978

Todd - Yep! Those missing light brackets will show up in a day or two. Great pictures.

As others have posted, the bar is low for 2023. I have no real resolutions for this new year except to make more progress on the layout. That's pretty open...
Everybody have a great day and again Happy New Year.
Thanks Willie!
So from your last pix ( above ) we now know where 'Car 54' is!

Later

Willie: Are you really going to kill that poor bird with a chainsaw ?

91849481.JPG

Just living the dream out here! Currently 50f and only looking for 59 later as been the same for past 4 days.
Rained overnight - three quarters of an inch - which places us an inch ahead of average this time of year.

The Spousal Unit returned from Newport yesterday somewhat after noon time - and promptly fell asleep in her recliner for a nice three hour nap.

Nothing much planned for today. That was quite a game last evening between Ohio and Georgia - The local Son-in-law (from Georgia) was on cloud nine after suffering immensely as we both thought that Georgia was going to lose!

I built a nice fire and then realized that - once again- I had not brought in any additional firewood.
Will see how the remainder of the day progresses?
Go Dawgs!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 54° and Sunny to start the year.

The rain kept the usual fireworks restrained,although there were some die hard revelers who were undeterred.

I posted this phone camera shot in the December 2022 coffee shop, it's a photo of my new PRR Pullman Lounge from Walthers , part of the "General" train release. It's coupled to a not so new BLI PRR E8 with faded Tuscan red and the Keystone scheme of the late 1960s.

walthers 6 DB Lounge 12-30-2022.jpg

In retrospect, there are four models of PRR equipment in this photo. A Box car from Bowser, in a faded version of FCC, a 32' TTX trailer in a almost maroon tone, from Walthers. The Pullman, from Walthers is near correct for late 1960s PRR Pullmans, and the Diesel from BLI which even faded, looks off for late 1960s PRR. Out of curiosity, I have to dig out one of the original Walthers Broadway Limited cars from the first release and see how close the colors are.

Well as it's New Years day, something had to go wrong, and it has. Nearly completed the switcher I've assembled from various parts I have, and all was going well until after doing a little weathering with powders, (that's in my newly renamed thread Switcher Chassis) I needed to apply some clear coat with my now functioning airbrush, and the compressor packed in, diaphragm's gone phut, I said in an earlier post about getting one, now it seems I have no choice, so I've decided as I have to get a new compressor. I might as well get a new airbrush to go with it, decided on a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1, not top of the range, ( I was looking at Badger) but for what I need I think it will do the job.

and a new compressor, I think this will do nicely.

I haven't bought them yet, that will be on Friday as I need to move some cash around first.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to each and every one of you. I'm not sure why the revelers bothered, the fog was so dense you couldn't see the display. Anyway, they kept it up till about 12:30 AM. I brought a head cold I got in 2022 with me into 2023. I really hadn't planned to bring it but wasn't able to shake in time.

No real train or modeling happening at the moment. I did run in the BLI NW-2. It does run very well, love to slow speed operation.

While I was running in the NW-2, I sat there surveying the little world I made. My layout isn't a prototypical layout, strictly freelance, I wondered how many of you put places or scenes that have/had some sort of meaning to you. As I perused my layout, the Coast Guard station, the boat 40474, Union Carbide plant, the Deerfield River, all of these scenes and places have special meaning to me. Maybe that's why we go there, a happy place and time?

STAY SAFE
LATER

Happy New Year to each and every one of you. I'm not sure why the revelers bothered, the fog was so dense you couldn't see the display. Anyway, they kept it up till about 12:30 AM. I brought a head cold I got in 2022 with me into 2023. I really hadn't planned to bring it but wasn't able to shake in time.

No real train or modeling happening at the moment. I did run in the BLI NW-2. It does run very well, love to slow speed operation.

While I was running in the NW-2, I sat there surveying the little world I made. My layout isn't a prototypical layout, strictly freelance, I wondered how many of you put places or scenes that have/had some sort of meaning to you. As I perused my layout, the Coast Guard station, the boat 40474, Union Carbide plant, the Deerfield River, all of these scenes and places have special meaning to me. Maybe that's why we go there, a happy place and time?

STAY SAFE
LATER
Totally agree about scenes having a personal meaning. I had a couple on the layout

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who have words

I did have words. But I'm fresh out.

Typing THE END on the latest book ran me out of words.

I'll just leave you with this for now. I'm off to nap:

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.21.27 PM.png

and the celebration ingredients. Licorice consumed earlier. Whiskey for later tonight.

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 10.48.53 AM.png

Well as it's New Years day, something had to go wrong, and it has. Nearly completed the switcher I've assembled from various parts I have, and all was going well until after doing a little weathering with powders, (that's in my newly renamed thread Switcher Chassis) I needed to apply some clear coat with my now functioning airbrush, and the compressor packed in, diaphragm's gone phut, I said in an earlier post about getting one, now it seems I have no choice, so I've decided as I have to get a new compressor. I might as well get a new airbrush to go with it, decided on a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1, not top of the range, but for what I need I think it will do the job.

and a new compressor, I think this will do nicely.

I haven't bought them yet, that will be on Friday as I need to move some cash around first.
Think again on that compressor. Tankless compressors can cause pulsation in your air feed, causing an uneven finish. Even a small tank is better than no tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back