Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always amazes me, how people will sell a loco because it "motor won't turn", or "poor runner" or "it's jerky in forward or reverse" and "motor very noisy" or some such, I've picked up 6 loco's in the last month or so, total cost to me £70.00.
Clean wheels, (black/grey) tighten motor mounting screws,(very loose) lubricate where required,(dry as a desert), run for 30 mins each direction, job done, simples.
I love people who really should never own a model locomotive.
I need to learn about loco maintenance. I've got a couple that don't run well but can probably be revived.

I need to learn about loco maintenance. I've got a couple that don't run well but can probably be revived.
Really not hard, plenty of youtube vids around to show how, thats how I learned, 6 things are a must have. Correct oil for the truck and motor, the right grease for drive gear (we call it a worm gear), some oils and grease will eat plastic, wheel cleaning brushes, cleaning solvent(I use IPA), cotton buds, and a b2b gauge.
I usually find poor runners are normally down to dirty wheels and/or track, and lack of lubricant.

Last edited:
I have a new loco with Tsunami 2 system. Sounds great but I was messing with the lighting. I got the number boards and ground light to work independant but now can't get the ditch lights to come on. The number boards are FX3, ground lights are FX4 which leaves FX5 and FX6 for the ditch lights. Using JMRI I toggled stuff in the function map and the individual lighting features but no change. Tried a reset, F8=8 but still no ditch lights. They were working when I started the modes using F5 but I changed that to turn on the number boards, F6 for the ground lights and tried to assign the ditch lights to F7 but still doesn't work. Tried going back to F5 for the ditch lights but that doesn't work either.
Gotta think about this one.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Not much going on. Did seem to get the server working again.

Like Karl, I also was saddened to hear Meatloaf passed. I also had a couple of copies of Bat Out of Hell. It was the album nearly everyone had. There was a tribute on TV this morning and as they started every song, I nailed the titles before they said them. Wife wasn't a fan in the day.

On the self bagging, I can pretty well keep up with the cashier. I usually run out of room before they get the cart emptied. I tell them I'm practicing for my retirement job.

Really not hard, plenty of youtube vids around to show how, thats how I learned, 6 things are a must have. Correct oil for the truck and motor, the right grease for drive gear (we call it a worm gear), some oils and grease will eat plastic, wheel cleaning brushes, cleaning solvent(I use IPA), cotton buds, and a b2b gauge.
I usually find poor runners are normally down to dirty wheels and/or track, and lack of lubricant.
Thanks for the info!

I have a new loco with Tsunami 2 system. Sounds great but I was messing with the lighting. I got the number boards and ground light to work independant but now can't get the ditch lights to come on. The number boards are FX3, ground lights are FX4 which leaves FX4 and FX5 for the ditch lights. Using JMRI I toggled stuff in the function map and the individual lighting features but no change. Tried a reset, F8-8 but still no ditch lights. They were working when I started the modes using F5 but I changed that to turn on the number boards, F6 for the ground lights and tried to assign the ditch lights to F7 but still doesn't work. Tried going back to F5 for the ditch lights but that doesn't work either.
Ouch! Strange, have to admit I hate changing function buttons for this exact reason. But all I can offer is my sympathy, I have no clue how to solve the problem.:(
The only thing I can suggest it to double check on JMRI, but I think you would've done that already.

Just found something amusing and had to share. I was searching online for some historical railroad photos in my area. Found several sites that have photos I took and posted when I was on Facebook. Even found one on Flickr that I took and the poster is apparently claiming he took it. Not too worried about it. Just found it funny to find numerous sites with my photos I had no knowledge of.

I have a new loco with Tsunami 2 system. Sounds great but I was messing with the lighting. I got the number boards and ground light to work independant but now can't get the ditch lights to come on. The number boards are FX3, ground lights are FX4 which leaves FX4 and FX5 for the ditch lights. Using JMRI I toggled stuff in the function map and the individual lighting features but no change. Tried a reset, F8-8 but still no ditch lights. They were working when I started the modes using F5 but I changed that to turn on the number boards, F6 for the ground lights and tried to assign the ditch lights to F7 but still doesn't work. Tried going back to F5 for the ditch lights but that doesn't work either.
Ken I just got the new GP15-1 with the Tsunami2 LEDs RCL with ditch lights and beacons on the cab.....I will check it out when I get home tonight....I already programmed it to the cab number address. Yes the sound has come a long way on the 2nd edition of Tsunami2 its incredible!

So this is an ad that was at the top of my forum "Coffee Shop" thread.

Kind of a funny one to be putting up. I'll take three. Delivered to my door!

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 9.04.32 AM.png

Well, my skills seem to be improving! Took the weights off the TO I had to replace and soldered up the feeders yesterday evening. Nice and smooth and runs great! Who would have known!?!

During that process, however, I noticed something:

20220120_163739.jpg

20220120_163748.jpg

I am sure I have mentioned before that I have two electromagnet decouplers on the main of my yard. One works great, but this does not. I can tell the EM is working as I see the trip pins move, but the cars do not uncouple. I have tried several 'fixes' to no avail.

When checking that TO, I noticed that there seems to be a bit of a jig. I these phots, a jig to the left. Could it be that the track is not centered over the EM and that misalignment is enough to booger up the decoupling process? No way to fix it other than take up a whole length of track. Or would it be better to cut out a length and re-lay with joiners and maybe solder the joiners?

Always something, eh?!

Please quote this post if you reply, or PM - - I don't always have time to read all your posts anymore! - - - Steve J

Greg - Why the Museum Quality ScaleTrains locos? I have found that the Rivet Counter grade is more than satisfactory.
Willie: This is my first venture into the world of Scale Trains and wanted the best quality of locomotives that I could find and the MILW EMD SDL 39 looked like they fit the bill. I never seen a Rivet counter or Museum Quality locomotive in person.

Speaking of grocery stores....I haven't shopped in a grocery store for our needs since before we were married over 47 years ago. When I lived in an apartment, my weekly grocery trip was limited to selecting TV dinners and beer and a few odds and ends that I needed. Once when I was stocking for a three weeks supply of TV dinners a nice looking girl in her early 20's said "Single hey". Thursday's was my night to cook and I talked on the phone with our company's Marketing Director while I fried pork chops, made mashed potatoes and drank Southern Comfort Old Fashions.

Greg

were you on the TV show Boomtowners? or watch it?
It came out the year after I was in Williston. They were filming one day at the man camp (Bearpaw), however I think it was a documentary.

I did not watch the series, it looked pretty "racey" in the ads. There were two cat houses in town (by the Depot) and some prostitutes around, but everyone I knew pretty much worked all the time.

By the way, one of my friends, from Duluth MN, was killed in a fracking accident a couple weeks after I quit. It was pretty serious business.

Dave LASM

Last edited:
Regarding the Bennett railroad I used to watch his you tube videos. Seems like unlimited money when he 1st started out. I know that he was an engineer for GE and I think he mentions it a few times in the second year of his videos. I thought the layout was marvelous but surprised he originally didn’t plan it to actually operate.
TomO: Thanks for the update on the Bennett layout. After seeing his wiring inside his panels I guessed he was an electric engineer of some type. I guess that my layout was really not specifically designed for operations, but it naturally evolved into a modest size layout with many switching possibilities at Pine River, Omro, the coal mine and the Saxeville Interchange.

Bennett has a large layout and I wonder what he spent in track and turnouts alone. He hired a carpenter to finish his layout room and had his control panels professionally reverse engraved.

While I haven't developed a operational program, I enjoy switching cars from Point A to Point B. Once before track cleaning, I moved all my locomotives and rolling stock to areas outside the work area just my using the locomotives under their own power on switching the rolling stock. It took me a couple of fun filled hours.

-Greg

Good morning all,

It is up to +4 after starting out at -13. Weekend right around the corner.

Flo - lets have the wheat chex again, but go ahead and empty the box in this bowl. I am hungry and would like something else tomorrow.
Don't forget the most important part, the hot Italian Roast coffee. Thank you.

Get to start putting out track tomorrow. Hopefully the better half doesn't have other plans.

Photo from the archives: most of what you see here is gone, except the people and the hopper car. The big overhead bin was made from spray painted typing paper and scrap steel.

bin2 004.JPG

Have a good day, Dave LASM

Willie: This is my first venture into the world of Scale Trains and wanted the best quality of locomotives that I could find and the MILW EMD SDL 39 looked like they fit the bill. I never seen a Rivet counter or Museum Quality locomotive in person.

Speaking of grocery stores....I haven't shopped in a grocery store for our needs since before we were married over 47 years ago. When I lived in an apartment, my weekly grocery trip was limited to selecting TV dinners and beer and a few odds and ends that I needed. Once when I was stocking for a three weeks supply of TV dinners a nice looking girl in her early 20's said "Single hey". Thursday's was my night to cook and I talked on the phone with our company's Marketing Director while I fried pork chops, made mashed potatoes and drank Southern Comfort Old Fashions.

Greg
I have owned a few of the ST Big Blow turbines of both the Museum and Rivet Counter versions. Both were exceptional and super easy to sell. The 2 Museum pieces I had wer not a better qualityy then the Rivet Counter but had more lights and a few more details. Came packaged in a very well done case to that was definitely worth it.

The Wisconsin Central SDL39 is only available as a Museum version when they were announced for pre-porters. Contains more features that Greg can expound on when he receives it. I almost decided to go back to modeling the WC and buying a couple of the SDL39 and if ST had finally announced a WC SD45 I would have. Thankfully dodged that bullet.

TomO

When ya get the Big Blow on the layout, you can barely tell the difference between the two versions beyond a few feet. If you're going to use them for book ends well yeah, the Museum quality is the one to display. One of the hard parts is putting weights into the fuel tender. Just about impossible to crack open. It really needs the weight though.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some small outdoor chores (low 60's) then after lunch I went through my roofing materials, and I have enough shingles for all the roofing needs. The kit has tar paper for the roofing, but I believe large permanent structures would use a better quality of roofing. I built 3 hand dolly's and painted. Of course, I put the handles on backwards...oof :rolleyes:. There was supposed to be 4 but somehow, I lost the main body of the 4th one. Each hand dolly has 6 parts. I also painted the bracing and billboard sign although I did not put it together yet because it will be fragile. The instructions said to paint the sign letters white (front) but I decided to do them in the matching green color.

I'm sorry that Meatloaf has passed but I've never liked his music.

Dennis- Well that stinks. Hopefully you can fix it.

Justin- Nice job on the Geep and also nice photo. Do you live around Charleston WV?

IB Ken- Hope you feel better soon and your stress decreases.

George- That looks great.

Mikey- Nice job on the "little people".

Ken (IL)- Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Dave- Nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

All of them bag stuff for ya. One of the bigger ones bag AND take it out to your car, rain, sleet or hail. If I have bags that I can grab in one hand, I take it out to the car
Here in Jersey, the checkers hate to bag. Several stores are set up so they have to bag, ShopRite uses conveyors and the checker will stand there waiting for your payment, watching you bag. They are all Union here, so they're making more than the minimum, for sure.

When we lived in Metro DC, Safeway and Giant not only had "baggers", but also "porters", who took your groceries out to your car and placed them carefully in your trunk.

Pretty soon, the stores here will no longer provide bags.

My new Athearn "Yard Tractor" arrived today. Only two days to get here from Brooklyn. Way to go USPS.

Yard Tractor..jpg

Little something to jockey trailers around the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back