Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sorry for the delays on posting the results of the testing of the ballast as I mentioned earlier last week using the polymeric sand. To be quite honest I am still a little skeptical. I ran my first test and well it failed miserably. The reason is that some of the aggregates or granules were a little bit to big. So I will run another trial after sifting some of it and the try again. I will post all examples when done. So, it is a bit tedious but I think we can find success at some point but you will be able to judge that later when I post pics. I think it will still be a positive due to minimal cost.

In the mean time I was fiddling with programming of my locomotive roster. Still working on that, as I have a ways to go plus I can't seem to stop acquiring more motive power.........:D I got another UP GP15-1 Tsunami2 LED unit and man that is soooo sweet! It has the RCL setup with the dual beacon lights and is also has ditch lights on both ends of the loco. I will post later on the RPO thread and of course JR's UPRR thread. I have another GP15-1 that is the earlier model that does not have LEDS or the upgraded Tsunami decoder but I will be keeping it as I have the sound and other stuff dialed in it works great! I picked up a few more rail cars too. Recently got a GP40-2 in the ASAB scheme rtr Athearn which will get upgraded with a sound decoder and possible swapped out lights for LEDs we shall see.

Lastly we are 9 days away from the BIG "E" Amherst Train show in Springfield, Mass. So if you are going hit me up and we can meet there! I can not wait to see what will be in store. I expect some crazy pricing as it seems everyone is getting really stupid with their pricing lately. I have done some real hard passes lately on things I really wanted but it's hard to justify the price. Hopefully it won't be to bad and that I can find some hidden gems and some much needed supplies. We shall see.

Single digit weather is coming again only this time it will be negative single digits. Tonight -3 and then tomorrow night -8.....ugh!

Gonna burn wood like a mad man!

Catch ya'll later!

1642703778001.png

Last edited:
Still alive and vertical out here .. just busy! FLO, a refill on the coffee and a stack of blueberry pancakes and a side of bacon, please.
The Spousal Unit has a gaggle of cleaning ladies on board - so I am just trying to stay out of the way.
It's a gorgeous day out (still a little nippy) and supposed to be in the area of 73F later on. BTW - not a wisp of a cloud in sight.
We just received our latest heating bill from the gas company. As expected, it is 130% over last year! I had read accounts on a local website of everyone complaining about the costs. I had to remark about the administration's energy policy which managed to draw fire from all sides! LMAO! After a few minutes - comments were cut off. LOL

Well - better go see what trouble I can stir up elsewhere?

Afternoon All,

Started out doing chores. Then watched a 40-minute video on how to embed RR tracks into asphalt but it would also work for concrete. I'm thinking about doing that and a concrete parking lot to go with it for the REA building. In the train room I put together the fright house roof (2 pieces) and sprayed it with black rattle can. I also assembled the 5 concrete truck ramps for the one side of the building.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Hughie- Very nice-looking layout. What's the overall size?

Mikey- LOL. It's quite the long and narrow structure.

TomO- Nice layout shot.

George- That's going to be really cool.

Toot- Great photo.

Steve- We enjoy their hot dogs also.

Willie- Great scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Unless I have one or 2 items without coupons I avoid self checkout counters as much as possible.
I totally avoid the self checkouts. I always have coupons and I always have alcohol, and both require clearance from a clerk. Takes too much time most days for the clerk to get away from other customers who came first. At the regular check-outs, I can be bagging while the cashier is still ringing stuff up.

I totally avoid the self checkouts. I always have coupons and I always have alcohol, and both require clearance from a clerk. Takes too much time most days for the clerk to get away from other customers who came first. At the regular check-outs, I can be bagging while the cashier is still ringing stuff up.

I always use self checkouts. But I never have alcohol. Self checkouts usually can handle coupons but I rarely have those.
I guess I am just anti social. That, and the self checkout lines are usually faster :)

On those rare occasions I purchase alcohol (not being an imbiber, it is not very often, though I do keep a few things for cooking) I have to go to the state alcohol store anyway. And they don't have self-checkout 🤣 🤣

I might be wrong, but I thought the self-checkout was intended for the shopper that has just a few items. Envariably though there will be the shopper with a cart load of stuff using the self-checkout. As they scan each item, they go from one side of the cart to the other. Never just unload it from one side, gotta walk around to the other side to pick out the next item.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I thought the self-checkout was intended for the shopper that has just a few items. Enviably though there will be the shopper with a cart load of stuff using the self-checkout. As they scan each item, they go from one side of the cart to the other. Never just unload it from one side, gotta walk around to the other side to pick out the next item.
Our self checkouts are stupid, scan an item, then place it it the "baggage area" which is about 1X2ft square, so not a lot of room, you can't scan the next item till the machine recognises that the item has been placed in this little square thing (it basically weighs the item), So if you have a lot of stuff your screwed.

Good Morning Everyone.....nice and cold here in this part of Wisconsin. It's was a minus -2 degree earlier this morning and I could just feel the wind chill without even going outside. No trains today since I have to work on my Itemized Tax Deductions for my 2021 returns. Nice to see the DOW and S&P with some increases this morning.

I been watching Stephen Bennett's U-Tube videos on the construction of his large model railroad where he uses limited amounts of Woodland Scenics landscape materials, but uses many scenery items from Germany that he orders direct or some from Walther's.

I ordered some materials from Model Scenes from I believe from Germany and I haven't heard anything from them. I need to check my PayPal and see if the transaction was completed and if not call them direct. Too bad my German isn't that great (to say the least) and I don't remember much from my early days with my second generation Grandparents being from German and Prussian parents.

Has anyone on the Forum ordered from Model Scenes? If so, what was your experience?

I think one of the things that sets Bennett's layout out from others is his use of different landscape materials. Bennett has amazing computer interfaces and electrical work. I know you will enjoy watching this video of his layout.

My Scale Trains are due to be delivered in the next few days. I have two Scale Trains museum quality locomotives on order. They are MILW EMD SDL 39's and I wonder how their museum quality models actually look in person and how tehey stake up against my nice Rapido models I already have on the layout.

At my first real job I wasn't paid overtime after 40 hours, nor did I get paid for any Holidays, but used to work the Holidays from Memorial Day to Labor Day, without any premium time, not to mention my hourly rate was $0.95/hour. working 60 hours a week for $57.00, I must be dating myself.

Better get to my tax work.

See ya later!

Greg

#####################

View attachment 139112
My poor excuse for pulpwood cars! This is the small yard that I call Pine River.-Greg
Regarding the Bennett railroad I used to watch his you tube videos. Seems like unlimited money when he 1st started out. I know that he was an engineer for GE and I think he mentions it a few times in the second year of his videos. I thought the laupyout was marvelous but surprised he orginally didn’t plan it to actually operate. I think he has been changing thins to get to that.

I know he used to stop at Scenic Express and buy go from the back room there when SE was still located in Pa.

I was buying from Scenic Express direct the Martin Welberg scenery items. The items are absolutely top notch. When Trainfest was running in Milwaukee I also purchased from their booth they always set up.

Greg, nothing wrong with those pulp wood cars!
TomO

I might be wrong, but I thought the self-checkout was intended for the shopper that has just a few items. Enviably though there will be the shopper with a cart load of stuff using the self-checkout. As they scan each item, they go from one side of the cart to the other. Never just unload it from one side, gotta walk around to the other side to pick out the next item.
Always lines with full carts at our local HyVee grocery store. I think there are 12 self check out lines. Not my cup of tea.

TomO

I totally avoid the self checkouts.
Me too, I was in line at Home cheapo and was told I can go to self checkout instead of waiting in line. I asked the clerk if I get a discount for doing her job, she said no, so I said I'll wait. Better yet why don't you open another register, everyone in line agreed and started complaining. They ended up cashing out people in returns.

Our Kroger has 18 of those for the shopper with just a few items. There are also two that are intended for many items with conveyors and holding areas until you can finish and then go and bag up. It's actually faster to use the full service aisles. I rarely if ever have to wait for more than one customer ahead of me. I do occasionally have to bag my own items though.
Our self checkouts are stupid, scan an item, then place it it the "baggage area" which is about 1X2ft square, so not a lot of room, you can't scan the next item till the machine recognises that the item has been placed in this little square thing (it basically weighs the item), So if you have a lot of stuff your screwed.
They have those at a competing grocery store and they are a real pain to use.

Louis: Insurance, is a hidden tax. Tax because the insurance companies lobby very hard to mandate that consumers Buy their product. For example, Mandatory No Fault (which only applies to medical expense control, and taking away your right to recover damages in court). Original Obama Care, which mandated purchasing health insurance. Most mortgages have clauses requiring that the Mortgagee purchase Home owners insurance, to protect the lenders interests...frequently, the lender is an insurance company, or has a subsidiary agency. Insurance is rated on "risk", that is the likelihood that they will have to actually pay a claim...

My wife and I are fully covered by Medicare, and Plan F supplement, (which carries a rather hefty monthly premium, considering the coverage is generally limited to the 20% that Medicare does not pay, plus the annual deductibles. 2020, was the only year since I have been on Medicare, that that my claims exceeded my premium. (The wife's claims during the time she was receiving Infusion treatments for her RA, also exceeded her premiums for a couple of years). In general, I'm not getting back what I paid in, but having this coverage, reduces my financial risk sufficiently to justify paying the continued premiums. Prescription coverage is a rats nest though. Even with Insurance, I / we pay a hefty deductible and out of pocket for just three medicines, the remaining generics are so cheap that they cost less than the minimum cost at a preferred pharmacy. But in reality, I am paying 100% of the wholesale price for these cheap meds. The wife's next month cost for her RA drug will be $1500. + for #30 pills. After that, the monthly price will gradually drop to $100./mo. This assures that February will be a negative cash flow month, for us.

I might note here, that both my supplement and Prescription plan are union plans. Had I remained in a management position, the company retirement medical coverage would be one of the restrictive Part C managed care plans, with co pays and deductibles, in addition to a monthly cost sharing premium. I could also buy a plan on the open market, but that will cost even more in premiums....

This healthcare cost takes a considerable percentage of my monthly income, and FWIW, I'm thankful I can do this, but how is someone who is raising a family, but only making $16.00 / hour going to manage this cost? eh?
Boris, as usual you are right on the money.

Insurance can be a good thing to have, it spreads out the individual risk to the many.
Some mandates, can be avoided if you can show you can afford to cover yourself. Many wealthy companies insure themselves. Let the little guys share the burden. Like being paid with a W2.

Medicare prescription insurance, reminds me of a convoluted confidence scheme.

I could not survive on $16.00. I don't how people survive on the federal minimum wage of $7.25 no matter where they live.

Last edited:
Warmer and a little snow in NJ this morning.
Well, layout track testing came to an abrupt halt today.
I was using a Bachmann 4-6-0 as it is currently my most 'jumpy' loco and finds tiny imperfections in the rail.
I may put this aside for now, and get that decoder into another Varney Ten Wheeler.

IMG_4852.JPG

Our Kroger has 18 of those for the shopper with just a few items. There are also two that are intended for many items with conveyors and holding areas until you can finish and then go and bag up. It's actually faster to use the full service aisles. I rarely if ever have to wait for more than one customer ahead of me. I do occasionally have to bag my own items though.

They have those at a competing grocery store and they are a real pain to use.
Strange, I hear you all talk about having someone bag your groceries, I'd love to have someone do that for me, sounds like luxury, as you can guess, not in the UK, in fact, I don't think we ever have.

Been a few days since I've posted in here. This week has been a total nightmare in terms of traveling anywhere. It's been one winter storm after another. I've made it to work only one day this week. I'll feel that in the wallet for sure. However I have been making lemons into lemonade. I have been completing some projects I've put off for far too long. Finally installed the grab irons and handrails on one of my new GP7s. Still needs work. I have to work on the gears on it. It doesn't run like I want. So a little more work.
IMG_20220120_184658522_HDR.jpg
It does look sharp though. The other projects I completed last night. Ditched the athearn couplers for kadees on the four new athearn hoppers. Installed metal wheels on three of my blue box hoppers as well. Short and sweet projects for the hoppers. The GP7 was a little bit more time consuming but well worth it. That's all I have for now. I hope everyone is doing well.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! I just realized it has been a week since the last time I posted on here, so I figured I should at least check-in.

What I thought was another infectious attack last week turned out not to be the case, it was just irritable lungs. The coughing eventually faded away a few days later. That's the good news.

OTOH, we got hit with that snow-become-rain storm on Sunday. The precipitation wasn't the main problem, but the 55mph wind gusts were: We lost power shortly after 10pm on Sunday night, so I spent the duration beside the wood stove adding logs every 30-45 minutes. What was especially stressful was that this was the first time I've ever experienced a winter power outage, so unlike those in the warmer months which are mostly just nuisances, this one required continuous effort to keep the house warm enough to prevent my water pipes from freezing. Luckily the lights came back on ~3am, so we didn't have to haul out the generator.

The winds continued howling thru Monday, and while I was at my workbench applying some decals to one of my mill switchers, we lost power again! This time the cause wasn't just a severed wire, but a large tree crashing down over the power lines and snapping one of the utility poles as well. It took the BGE crews 8 hours to repair that damage. I had serious trouble getting to sleep after this because there was still so much adrenaline in my bloodstream. The resulting lack of sleep two nights in a row led to stress-related GI issues, which pretty much killed my motivation to do much of anything the past couple of days.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I haven't been participating in here this past week.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Caboose progress. The blue in the photo is not how it looks in real time. I did paint it a darker flat blue but not the blue it's showing. The camera has a white balance issue. I'll try to get that fixed for the next time. Maybe switching back to a gloss blue will help.? I used 1/2 inch pvc pipe for the latter. I'm going to use the same pipe for all the railing. The hand brake will be a modified Home Depot 5 gallon black pale cover.

cab_01_20_22.JPG
George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back