Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
WMcaboose.jpg

Tail end Tuesday, G'nite y'all

Small world, JAZ! -
Story #1: My Spousal Unit's mom was a tele operator in San Fernando early 40's where she met the man who would later become her husband. He worked in a bank there and when he made calls, she was the operator ... plugging and unplugging the lines!
If he was calling another girl, she would "accidently" disconnect him, or say that the other line was OOS. She thought that he had money because he worked in the bank, but he actually he was sort of a playboy and had to borrow money from her to pay for their hotel room on their honeymoon in LaHoya. (true story)

Story #2: While I was on loan to Saudi Arabian Airlines in the 70's - we had six days off each month and would spend them out of country. Several times we were in England, but once we visited Pinewood Studios on a Sunday. There was no one there except one security person who gave us a tour of the entire place and my son (10-11) at that time got to climb all over the props used in the Star Wars movie along with the x-wing fighters, wearing the chewbacca costume, and others, headgear! I should get off my a$$ and transpose all those slides to print and computer.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Not a whole lot of new stuff to talk about today, other than I went for my semi-weekly trip to the supermarket and was shocked at how bare some of the shelves were. Several of the items on my list weren't available and haven't been for weeks. I sure hope this isn't the "new normal!"

On the upside, I was able to spend some more time in the trainroom/workshop yesterday and tonight. I repainted another one of my mill switchers, but still need to do the handrails and grab irons; will share before/after photos when done.
. . .
IB Ken- Can you take a photo of the roof in place? I'm very interested in this.
. . .
Sure Curt, here y'go:

RoundHouseSinglePieceRoof.jpg

RoundHouseNewRoof_01.jpg

RoundHouseNewRoof_02.jpg

RoundHouseNewRoof_03.jpg

I don't remember the exact thickness of the Evergreen sheet, but I'm guessing it's ~.060". Still awaiting paint...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

I think there was an ulterior motive to all of this acquisition for BNSF. Warren Buffet wouldn't do it otherwise. I think MRL was more or less forced into this with a carrot dangling in front of them as well. With the Keystone Pipeline shut down and more pipe lines on the verge of being shut down by this administration. Warren Buffet owns the the company that makes the tank cars and of course BNSF so ya cha ching! My 2 cents. I have always liked MRL and I think they have always done well. It is to sad to say they are now a fallen flag.
There's been no date mentioned but management have emailed every employee before making the announcement publicly. I have read the rumor that BNSF didn't expect MRL to last more than a couple of years but saw that refuted that BN had made guarantees at the time about cashflow. Over the years though they have lost much income from branchlines being closed because of lack of business. MRL I understand had bought those themselves. Only a couple are still serviced. The "Gas Local" that connected the ends of the pipeline near Thompson Falls and Missoula reportedly was still profitable and there were 2 trains that used the mainline as locals. Otherwise it was the helpers over Bozeman and Mullan passes for BNSF and the occasional other in situations of emergency. The Boeing fuselages also took a big hit. Someone also mentioned that the MRL founder, Dennis Washington was now 88 years of age. Just what will happen to all the equipment could be interesting because all of the newer SD70ACe's (largely now 15+ years old) were chosen for their traction up mountain passes. There is only 1(#355) of the SD45's in service at the moment, 1(#346) has been sitting in the Livingston workshop for a month was also mentioned. The other 2 still on roster are in storage. Apart from that, the 6 GP35's and a few venerable GP9's and 1 SW900 (or 700) used as the workshop switcher. The last of the SD35's were sold several months ago, but are still working. MRL's workshops do some good work. A good time to go perhaps with the looming need to start replacing with new big power. Even the last 4 'ACe's from Australia's west coast Iron ore mines are used and refurbished.

Morning fellers. Nothing new to really report on. I posted a video up of my warp on the layout. It the reason I've started planning my next build. Will stay away from cheap 2x4s this time. Another winter storm is headed this way. Should hit Sunday. Maybe I can make something happen before then. Be a good snow day project. Well that's all I have for now. I'll stop again later.

Morning all,

Wife is off until the 24th due to covid hitting the daycare hard. People insisting their kids only have a cold, bringing them in because they "need" to work. They need to work to pay for the oversized house, the new cars, boats and campers they have to have. That and the welfare mom's bringing their kids so they can go home and nap.

Just irritated about people, old age I guess.

Nothing new on the trains last night. I'm off to a little bit of a late start as I get to "sleep" in an hour for the next week and a half. Still wide awake at 3:30a....

Coffee and Blueberry pancakes with extra bacon (except in California where bacon is outlawed), Thanks Flo...

Well howdy there internet people, and those who love carriage returns!

It's troy again.

Changed my avi to one to remind me that I could be on a cruise ship someplace warm soon. (But, between OmiColds and MIL condition, we made the correct decision to postpone).

Still need to write today. 3.75 chapters to go. Already did 568 words this morning from the recliner.

Lord Fuzzbutt's favorite spot is between my knees when the footrest is up. I needed to knock my tinnitus down a few notches this morning, so I put the can-headphones on and dialed in a channel for rainstorms, waterfalls, and crickets. To help the cat, I put the Bird and Swanky Tree Rat channel up on youtube on the big telly.

treerat channel.jpg

He went from semi-asleep to vigilant, lest one of the swanky tree rats escaped the screen and attack us. Good kitty.

Back to the grindstone. Got a fresh pot of coffee ready to load. Need to get 4000 words total today. More if I get the rhythm going.

AH HA! I was up 30 min before you at 3 am. Don't know why - nothing basically on my mind, but I don't like it at all!

Supposed to be 77F for a high today and 79F tomorrow under partly sunny!

More Coffee please, FLO - I'll delay breakfast until after sunrise.
Well, 3:30a is my normal get up time during the work week. I also turn out the lights for bed at 8:00p, except on Thursdays. I gotta watch "Ghosts" on the local CBS affiliate. It is based on the British show of the same name, although the ghosts were "Americanized".

Morning all,

Wife is off until the 24th due to covid hitting the daycare hard. People insisting their kids only have a cold, bringing them in because they "need" to work. They need to work to pay for the oversized house, the new cars, boats and campers they have to have. That and the welfare mom's bringing their kids so they can go home and nap.

Just irritated about people, old age I guess.

Nothing new on the trains last night. I'm off to a little bit of a late start as I get to "sleep" in an hour for the next week and a half. Still wide awake at 3:30a....

Coffee and Blueberry pancakes with extra bacon (except in California where bacon is outlawed), Thanks Flo...
My daughter had been in childcare for 18 years. 2 years after graduating college for a large national chain. 13 years building her own group of day care centers, 5 when she sold them 3 years ago. A year consulting for childcare centers. Now working in childcare but as a non profit agency that searches for child care services for any family in need of services. Patrick, seems your wife and my daughter have many of the same insights into parents and childcare services. So many stories that Kait thought might make for a good but sad type sit-com TV show.

I did sleep last night. 3 separate hours in different spots in the house and finally 3 hours propped up on pillows on top of my bed. It is slowly getting better but I really would like 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I have found during this sleep issue how many folks in the USA have sleep disorders. Supposely 70% of American adults have trouble sleeping to a point where they have worked with their medical care teams. I have an new appreciation for those with sleep issues. I always thought, just try to sleep because that’s what I had always done up until 11/30/2021. Now trying to sleep is a difficult chore.

Trains will be run today. I have to finish replacing parts of the main line because of popping of the rail. Itis getting tiresome. Yesterday, I tossed out some very liquid “professional” type of CA, super glue. Some how I over applied this glue and it dripped onto both hands. Thankfully I was able to keep the fingers spread out got the hot water and soap applied. Online help showed hand lotion spread into each affected piece of hand, fingers and skin. About 1/2 hour after all that cleaning, 180 grit sandpaper gently over those areas to remove the dried up glue. I also opened the cap on the remainder of my MEK outside and the 1” or so left evaporated within a few hours. Followed the local disposal rules for that. There will be no more MEK or super liquid glues in this house. I do now use Gorilla’s super glue which is a thick CA bit maybe a safer choice.

Have a great day
TomO
A46937BE-1916-467C-B312-BBC620289569.jpeg

Good morning, looks like a warm-up with highs in the 40s the next three days, before the next cold snap.

I managed to sleep through the night, again...and up at 0600. Going to HD later this morning. Need a filter for the drinking water in the kitchen.

My TCS decoders should be here before noon. I'm sort of anxious to get this S-2 working again. It was the first loco purchased after we moved here in 1986, purchased from a long gone LHS. From what I can determine, the big problem is it needs lubrication. I'm not going to go nutzo with adding details, after all its made it for 36 years as delivered by Atlas/Roco.

Not much else to comment on, but IB Ken, I like your roundhouse and engine terminal. Curt, your building project looks good., Karl, like the cabin car.

Watched the video conference concerning the "final cause" of the fatal fire in Philadelphia, last week. While the family slept on the third floor, 0630, 01/05/22, a little five year old, on the second floor, unsupervised, found a cigarette lighter and accidentally set the Christmas tree on fire.The fire and smoke spread rapidly through out the duplex apartment. 12 died, mostly of smoke inhalation. The smoke alarms did not function. Smoke spread, because doorways were left open. The five year old is the only survivor from his family. Sad.

Train 19 The Ambassador departing DC - August 1960 -William Hakkarinen.jpg

IB Ken - - - that is my roundhouse, too; complete with no doors. I bumbled the doors so just took them off. Perhaps you had the same experience. Interesting idea re the solid sheet roof. Right now, I have the individual panels tacked down with small bits of plumber's putty. I hope too put in lights someday - but that someday is very shy and always stays about two to three weeks ahead of me!

An early photo:

20210801_195432.jpg

Not much done as of late. I have been having a run of not sleeping well. Been waking up between 1:30 and 2:30 and unable to fall back asleep so getting up to read. Big help to getting my theology book read!

Wife is STILL ill. she went to work Monday and several of the surgeons suggested she get checked for pneumonia. So she went to the urgent care in the same building. Pneumonia and Covid negative - - just viral buildup in her lungs. Doc said it has been taking four to five WEEKS to get over this flu. This is week 3 for her. Stayed home and in bed yesterday. Off to the office today, but not feeling great.

Off to work myself - - Hope all has a great day

It's all about the combination of supply and demand, presentation, Russian roulette, price gouging, luck and stupidity all rolled into one 🤣😂

But seriously....people will post just about anything with ridiculous prices AND ridiculous shipping rates/fees. If you don't know how to research or search for an item on using multiple words or search selection like free shipping or US only or whatever in the ebay "search engine" you will with out a doubt lose out on $$$$ one way or another. Over the years I find that everyone does post different styles of wording/format etc can be deceiving intentionally or not can be very frustrating. I always take my time and search and research. I save my searches on key words and review the hit lists and times it pays off and then I refine the search again by adding/editing the words to tailor my search. Even spelling of the "key words" makes a difference or using the full name vs the acronyms or the combination. You would be surprised how that can work in your favor. I will share a a little tidbits with all of you. Some of you may already do this but here we go. I use ebay search and save searches a lot where it sends me emails etc. I also use another search engine for ebay called PicClick which also does the same thing but differently. Try it out...... evil bay is kinda of a last resort these days for me but I am guilty of buying quite a bit off there. I have been gravitating a little bit more on FB Marketplace but there a HUGE risk there on trust worthiness on people and a hard recourse to salvage monies lost. So be careful there. I chat with various people to connect dots to find reputable people that buy and sell there. I also still search my local area on craigslist as we all know huge caution there. I even still look in the paper on estates sales or garage sales. Other than that I go to online hobby shops that we all know of etc.

Back to the hoppers though. Ya I mean you could sell for that price and probably make even more if you present it right by offering a lot of pictures and information etc. Different road numbers etc.......

I could do the same with various collection of cars but nah... not now. I am proud to say I probably have the best collection of Timken HO scale original box cars (3 more to go and I will have all ever produced) and tank cars (only one more to find and get) with all different numbers on the planet LOL I probably have the same status with my collection of ASAB RR cars, hoppers and center beam cars too. Also I have a slew of prototypical 40' Union Pacific cars (about 100 of them all different numbers and schemes and weathered) that UP used back in the 40s-50s for OSL, Overland Route and Streamliner days etc. for steam haul but hey who cares right? I do cause it makes me happy in this hobby. lol no big deal. Life goes on.....

Good Morning All. Clear and 32° here on the homestead. The usual mixed weather coming up, three more days in the upper 60's, two in the mid-40's, three more in the mid-60's, a couple in the low 50's; no rain in sight, no snow either.

Dermatologist visit yesterday was good, no repeat of the cancerous spots removed a couple of years ago. I go back in July. The rest of the full body scan was good.

As always, thanks for the likes and comments regarding my picture posts; Joe, Smudge, Tom, Justin, James, Louis, Karl, Louis, OB Ken, Tom O, Chad, Patrick, Dave, Gary, Hughie, George, Curt, Rick, IB Ken, Jaz.

I'm skipping breakfast this morning Flo, just a glass of apple cider.

I was out in the train shed for only a short time yesterday. Doctor visit set me back and it was too nice outside to ignore outdoor chores. While I completed painting the eight figures, the pictures were too blurred to use. I did start on the metal castings, but did not take any pictures of them yet.
So how about some random flat car and gondola load pictures today.

07-01-19 001.JPG

07-01-19 009.JPG
07-01-19 012.JPG

07-01-19 013.JPG
07-01-19 016.JPG

07-01-19 017.JPG

07-09-19 002.JPG

OB Ken - Textbooks - outrageous prices even back when I was in college in the late 60's/early 70's. I quickly learned how to avoid it when a teacher mentioned that they were all available in the reserve section of the library. Couldn't check them out of the building, but you could check them out for two hour intervals and read assignments there. Only ones that I had to purchase were those that we actually used in the classroom. Some of those I shared with my roommate since we took the same classes at different times.
Tom O - Good luck with that glucose level. Over the last two weeks, I have been running 107-110. That should allow me to have an additional beer every night.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm.

Good morning friends! Sunny and 39 heading for sunny and 47 today.

Got the new kitchen sink faucet installed yesterday and the wife is pretty happy about that. It looks really nice and I hope it lasts many years.

Went to the Crawford County Model Railroaders club meeting last night. I founded the club in 2016 and was president for 3 years. I've been very inactive over the last couple years due to work, but I have a better schedule these days and am getting more involved again. I agreed to be the club secretary for this year while the current president is continuing in that job. He's a really good club president and good guy too. Happy he's continuing in that job.

Nothing much else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

LOUIS - Been there done that! Just about every other time I pick p this MAC - I have to do that.

BTW - That was funny!

I spent some time looking at your Lionel links - nice work!
What pipped my reasoning was that I was reading an article in an older MR and it was praising the Santa Fe F-3.
The first production run was 16,000 units - talked about later on Lionel was rolling them out 150 an hour!
T would like to know the total built? Have you ever seen it?
Forgive me Sherrel, I meant to reply to this yesterday, but too many distractions. One distraction was not being able to copy and past pictures into my posts. You see all my years of experience and I have the same kind of problems as you. When it comes to computers, stay current or suffer the consequences. I believe that not only applies to the technology, but maybe more so to updates!

Thank you for the kind words about my links.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to Lionel in the post-war era 1945-1969. I really can't answer your question, I don't know.

Is this the one you are referring to? Here are some other links you might enjoy.

https://www.trains.com/ctt/news-reviews/reviews/lionel-f3/

Lionel Reproduced the locomotive I believe you are referring to many times. It was again available in 2010 with state of the art Legacy controls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back