Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just leave this here for those interested. This is not to start a discussion given the rules of the Coffee SHop. But it is food for thought for those great Vax believers (based on actual sceintific data and analyses, not political wishing like most "experts'):

Well, howdy there internet people, and those with Paradise by the Dashboard Lights stuck in your ears today.

It's Troy again.

Let's talk about the spousal unit and forgetfulness

Nope, not her, me. But I digress.

She wanted to come home this weekend from her mother's place. Being on mom-duty is taking a mental toll on her. She's realizing that mom is moving into a ME phase of her elder life. For a woman who was always focussed on work/school etc for her kids, that dynamic is out the window.

Anyway, I got a call from the wife this morning requesting a pick up this morning, instead of this evening. I saluted, said "Yes Ma'am, do I have time to shower? or do you want me stinky and unkempt?"

Fortunately, I was given permission to shower.

Seems the internet was out at MIL's place. Wife NEEEEEEEEDS it to work remotely.

So I go get her, and the computer. Yeah! weekend with the wife.

But, the internet is soooooo slow in the rural area that wife needs tomorrow to have a catch-up work day. Major project that involves a lot of revamping and saving huge documents to the work server. So, I may get to go play at the game store in the afternoon while she works. Maybe. I'm still in saluting mode. Yes, Ma'am!

I told myself this past week that I should really start working on getting my cholesterol down before lab tests and meeting my new primary care doctor this summer. So I began rotating in a bowl of oatmeal every few mornings instead of my normal cup of yogurt.

Well, today I forgot to put my morning pills next to the bowl, and happily enjoyed the oatmeal (yes, I actually like oatmeal). But didn't take my meds. One of those is an allergy pill to shut down a post-nasal drip.

Didn't think anything of the runny nose that bugged me earlier today. That turned into a throat tickle by this afternoon.

Came back from getting a pizza with the sweetie, and went to take the evening meds. Why is today's morning pill compartment still full? Ohhhhhh. That explains the nose and throat.

I skipped everything from the morning except the antihistamine. I'll delay tomorrow's dose by a few hours and get back on schedule after that. Hope it clears up by morning. I need the post nasal issue to clear up to make sure I don't have to go get a covid test. That would suck the fun out of this weekend with the wife. Hibernating in the basement isn't what I planned on doing. There's all the restaurant dining we haven't been doing the last three weeks to catch up on.

Anyway, here's the breadsticks from the Italian place we got on the way back from MIL's place. Oh, and the internet went out because MIL was cleaning and unplugged the data cable modem. Woops.
zianos.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first venture into the world of Scale Trains and wanted the best quality of locomotives that I could find and the MILW EMD SDL 39 looked like they fit the bill. I never seen a Rivet counter or Museum Quality locomotive in person.
Greg- I've owned many different brands of locos and sold many of them. The Scale Trains detail, quality, and keep alive sold me. What else I like they make many different types of engines, they just don't keep making the same couple. And when they are weathered the detail really shows.
IMG_3828.jpg
IMG_3808.jpg
IMG_4134.jpg

Joe:
There are several stores here that charge you extra for bags, if you didn't bring your own. Aldi and Save-A-Lot both come to mind. I think Lidl does, as well.

I would expect Aldi and Lidl to as they come from Germany where that is standard practice.

Around here stores give you bags for free. Some let you choose paper or plastic. Walmart the cashier will bag stuff as they have a round bag holder that they can just advance to the next bag as they need to. The local Kroger (called "Smiths") bags for you. Costco of course just refills your cart. Gives you a box if you need one.

Greg- I've owned many different brands of locos and sold many of them. The Scale Trains detail, quality, and keep alive sold me. What else I like they make many different types of engines, they just don't keep making the same couple. And when they are weathered the detail really shows.View attachment 139182View attachment 139183View attachment 139184
Saw you guys talking about Scale Trains, so I thought worth a look, yep, looking is all I'll be doing, beautiful locomotives, but out my league, for now at least.

I would expect Aldi and Lidl to as they come from Germany where that is standard practice.

Around here stores give you bags for free. Some let you choose paper or plastic. Walmart the cashier will bag stuff as they have a round bag holder that they can just advance to the next bag as they need to. The local Kroger (called "Smiths") bags for you. Costco of course just refills your cart. Gives you a box if you need one.
NYS got rid of plastic bags, but charge for paper.

NYS got rid of plastic bags, but charge for paper.

yeah we went to Calfornia a few years ago to go to Disneyland. All the stores there charged for plastic bags IIRC or maybe they only had paper (which they also charged for). Don't remember the details. That wouldn't fly around here.

On a different note: Got a text from CHASE BANK. I only have them for credit cards (1 business, 1 amazon, 2 personal with different features). They had declined a charge from KLM UGANDA WEB and were double checking that was a fraudulent charge. Hell yes it is. I text back NO (meaning I did not make that charge) and they texted saying they were canceling the card and a new one was being sent out. I should check charges and make sure all the rest were ok otherwise I should call them.

I log in to chase.com and they already have a new number assigned to that account and looking at that card in my Apple Wallet they have already updated the account so that I can continue to use Apple Pay on my phone and watch without any interruption or waiting for a card, using the new number. Pretty slick response. The unfortunate thing is that this is the third time in the last year or year and a half that they've had to cancel and re-issue me a new card on this particular account. And one time on my other chase personal card. (Never had an issue on the Chase business card or the Chase Amazon -- of course Amazon only gets used 99.9% of the time at Amazon [go figure]).

The strangest case of non-authorized credit card use I ever had was an AMEX card like 12 or so years ago. It was a new credit card account. (Ie, not a replacement card on an existing account). I already had another AMEX card so had an AMEX online account already set up. I get the new card, log in to my AMEX online account, and click the "add card" button. I type in the details and all the double check codes and authorizations and the new card shows up. And it already had a balance of $50. Mind you, I had not yet "activated" the card -- you had to call in and type in a bunch of numbers and stuff from an authorized phone to activate it. I clicked to look at where the balance came from and it was some online wine store. I called AMEX and reported it and said I had not even activated the card. They took the charge off but never sent a new card or changed anything about the account or issued a new account number, that I can remember. But I didn't have any more fraudulent charges on the card either, going forward.

Last edited:
Joe:
There are several stores here that charge you extra for bags, if you didn't bring your own. Aldi and Save-A-Lot both come to mind. I think Lidl does, as well.
Terry:
Aldi, Trader Joe's, and Lidl, charge a nominal fee for bags. Murphy issued an edict banning plastic bags,from all supermarkets, convenience stores and other retailers, come May, here in Jersey. Fortunately, we have a supply of bags collected from various stores. All we have to do is remember to bring them with us. Meanwhile, I have sufficient plastic bags saved to dispose of cat litter, for about a year. ;)

Terry:
Aldi, Trader Joe's, and Lidl, charge a nominal fee for bags. Murphy issued an edict banning plastic bags,from all supermarkets, convenience stores and other retailers, come May, here in Jersey. Fortunately, we have a supply of bags collected from various stores. All we have to do is remember to bring them with us. Meanwhile, I have sufficient plastic bags saved to dispose of cat litter, for about a year. ;)
I am not a fan of Adli’s but we have been there more in the last 3 months then maybe the 10 years prior. Terry now bakes gluten free for the Son in law. Adli’s has a great selection of gluten free flour. Our Adli’s was just remodeled and is a nice looking place. But like all USA Aldi’s very small. Never been there with more then 1checker at the register. Only 3 lanes and again today just 1 checker.

At HyVee today. I counted and there are 10 manned lanes, 12 self check with roller conveyors to move stuff away from the register and bag your own plastic bags. There are 8 self check lanes that should be for small purchases as there is no conveyor or space to bag. Looked like you scan and bag. Similar to the way Home Depot’s set up. Also, you can go to the service counter with a few items to check out.

The LHS doesn’t bag unless you ask!

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back