Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days back, I mentioned that I was working on painting some HO figures. This picture is proof that I have made some progress.
I thought I made a good purchase of $5.00 for 50 figures or 10 cents each plus a little labor to paint them.
I ran out of my white craft paint, so I stopped by Michaels to get more and wound up buying $20.00 worth of airbrush and craft paint. That makes the figures cost $.50 each now. My economy minded pocketbook thinks it is still cost effective compared to painted figures priced at $11.99 per packages of 6.
partial paint people.jpg

Strange, I hear you all talk about having someone bag your groceries, I'd love to have someone do that for me, sounds like luxury, as you can guess, not in the UK, in fact, I don't think we ever have.
Really?

How big are your markets you shop in? My local 3 grocers all have at least 10 manned cash registers for check out and self checkouts of 8-16 lanes. Madison, Wi. and it’s suburbs have a population of 500,000+ population and maybe 30 grocery stores all similarly laid out and worked the same. The 500000+ is semi accurate. The national census of 2020 was illegally cut off by the powers in office at the time. They are fighting in State Courts on what to do but they know there are that many people.

Heck even our gas station/convenience stores bag the goods you purchase.

TomO

Good evening Shop Dwellers! I just realized it has been a week since the last time I posted on here, so I figured I should at least check-in.

What I thought was another infectious attack last week turned out not to be the case, it was just irritable lungs. The coughing eventually faded away a few days later. That's the good news.

OTOH, we got hit with that snow-become-rain storm on Sunday. The precipitation wasn't the main problem, but the 55mph wind gusts were: We lost power shortly after 10pm on Sunday night, so I spent the duration beside the wood stove adding logs every 30-45 minutes. What was especially stressful was that this was the first time I've ever experienced a winter power outage, so unlike those in the warmer months which are mostly just nuisances, this one required continuous effort to keep the house warm enough to prevent my water pipes from freezing. Luckily the lights came back on ~3am, so we didn't have to haul out the generator.

The winds continued howling thru Monday, and while I was at my workbench applying some decals to one of my mill switchers, we lost power again! This time the cause wasn't just a severed wire, but a large tree crashing down over the power lines and snapping one of the utility poles as well. It took the BGE crews 8 hours to repair that damage. I had serious trouble getting to sleep after this because there was still so much adrenaline in my bloodstream. The resulting lack of sleep two nights in a row led to stress-related GI issues, which pretty much killed my motivation to do much of anything the past couple of days.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I haven't been participating in here this past week.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
Glad you are feeling better. Power outages while rare can get nasty in Winter.
TomO

Last edited:
Take a look at Ameriprise....or even Vanguard. I had Fidelity as well and left them 3 years ago.
Fidelity has not weathered the pandemic well. Their customer service sucks. I have been with them a long time. I make my own transactions, on line, and will not use an advisor or portfolio manager or what ever they are calling themselves presently. If I had to rely on an advisor, I would have left.

Fidelity has not weathered the pandemic well. Their customer service sucks. I have been with them a long time. I make my own transactions, on line, and will not use an advisor or portfolio manager or what ever they are calling themselves presently. If I had to rely on an advisor, I would have left.
Terry handles all our investments with minor input from me. She has been advising my brother and our son. She uses Edward Jones for her trading and she uses a Bloomberg ticker service for up to the minute updates. Per a longtime (1990) agreement with me she stays away from the commodity market. I almost destroyed us back then.

Every few years she says to one of those guys who are always calling that she would like a plan from them. Then she shows her plan and they stop calling. That is until the next new guy starts.

TomO

Really?

How big are your markets you shop in? My local 3 grocers all have at least 10 manned cash registers for check out and self checkouts of 8-16 lanes. Madison, Wi. and it’s suburbs have a population of 500,000+ population and maybe 30 grocery stores all similarly laid out and worked the same. The 500000+ is semi accurate. The national census of 2020 was illegally cut off by the powers in office at the time. They are fighting in State Courts on what to do but they know there are that many people.

Heck even our gas station/convenience stores bag the goods you purchase.

TomO
In busy periods (weekend's) most checkout are manned but rarely all, depending on the store, 20-30 is normal in a big store, which I rarely use, as I know what I want, not going to wander round "just in case" I see something I "may" want to buy. I use smaller stores, usually 2 checkouts out of 4 are manned. Our gas stations and convenience stores dont do it either. Often stores will either give or sell you a bag, few years ago they introduced a a sort of "tax" on bags, 5 pence per bag,(ours are all plastic) for recycling to encourage people to re-use the ones they have or buy fabric ones "bags for life" as their called, so you pack your own. But as far as I can remember stores stopped packing goods for customers in the 30's and then that was only in the expensive stores like Harrods.

Last edited:
Strange, I hear you all talk about having someone bag your groceries, I'd love to have someone do that for me, sounds like luxury, as you can guess, not in the UK, in fact, I don't think we ever have.
In busy periods (weekend's) most checkout are manned but rarely all, depending on the store, 20-30 is normal in a big store, which I rarely use, as I know what I want, not going to wander round "just in case" I see something I "may" want to buy. I use smaller stores, usually 2 checkouts out of 4 are manned. Our gas stations and convenience stores dont do it either. Often stores will either give or sell you a bag, few years ago they introduced a a sort of "tax" on bags, 5 pence per bag,(ours are all plastic) for recycling to encourage people to re-use the ones they have or buy fabric ones "bags for life" as their called, so you pack your own. But as far as I can remember stores stopped packing goods for customers in the 30's and then that was only in the expensive stores like Harrods.
Wow! Quite interesting. Even if there is no bagger, the cashier bags the groceries for you; it just takes longer. They will even use your "bags for life" cloth ones if that's what you use. At the store that I mainly use, sometimes if you're using the larger self check-out lanes with the conveyors, occasionally the attendant will bag groceries for you if there isn't any need for them to service someone else.

Wow! Quite interesting. Even if there is no bagger, the cashier bags the groceries for you; it just takes longer. They will even use your "bags for life" cloth ones if that's what you use. At the store that I mainly use, sometimes if you're using the larger self check-out lanes with the conveyors, occasionally the attendant will bag groceries for you if there isn't any need for them to service someone else.
No, they scan it, you bag it, and these pple can scan faster than I can pack 🤣

Good Morning all!

31F with about 2 inches of new white. Supposed to be 40ish today. Heard that before.

We have two bigger stores with about 5 get-n-split types. All of them bag stuff for ya. One of the bigger ones bag AND take it out to your car, rain, sleet or hail. If I have bags that I can grab in one hand, I take it out to the car - they look disappointed that they can't help. We got here in '04 and it did take us awhile to get used to that. We have a 'retired' population here for the most part so it is a good thing.

Enjoy your day!

Morning fellers. Cold start today. Supposed to be colder tonight. Single digit lows with sub zero temps in the hollers(me). This will be the coldest temps for us in a really long time. I had wondered if my C&O cross bucks would fit my era. Well I suppose they will. I found a CSX photo from 1990 with one said C&O cross buck in it. Photo taken on the NF&G railroad coming up to Rainelle, WV. This is the CSX I love. I don't like the new stuff. I get excited to see the GP40s and GP38s in the yard here in Charleston. Anyways here's a photo for y'all to enjoy.
FB_IMG_1642762977456.jpg
Cross buck in question is the one on the right. Now I know I can use them. Should receive some more good reading from the C&O historical society today. Load out diagrams and a book on coal tipples. That's all I have for now. I'll stop by later when I get a chance.

In other news, Meat Loaf died today, he was 74 years old.

A part of my youth died today. I was 16 years old the 1st time I heard Bat out of Hell on 8 track, sneaking beers in my friend Mikey in his Dads work van. We'd sit out there at night talking, drinking a few beers and listening to music.
I've owned multiple copies of that album and all the albums that followed, I've got concert footage on DVD, and several t shirts. There also is a Fender Stratocaster in my basement with small copies of all 3 of the "Bat" album covers embedded in the clearcoat.
The 1st Bat out of Hell album is #6 on the list of the top 10 best selling albums of all time.

Meat, rest in peace. 😢

Last edited:
Good morning all! 21 degrees this morning on the way to sunny and 25. Off again today and planning to go visit my parents.

Went to my grandson's final home 8th grade basketball game last night and it was a great one. He and his team played the best they have all year and beat the other team. I lost count but I think he scored around 18 points with 2 and 3 pointers along with one free throw. Pretty sure he had to have led the team in scoring but I never saw the stats to say for sure. They haven't had a great season but last night they played like champs.

Sad to hear that Meat Loaf died. Such an amazing voice and performer.

Didn't accomplish a whole lot yesterday. It was nice just having a day to relax for the most part. Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning All. Clear and 16°, an hour ago it was mostly cloudy and 20°. Wind chill of 10°. Another hour and the darkness goes away and the temperature will head upwards into the mid-40's. Yesterday was a miserable day, wind out of the north and it just barely reached 32°. It's extremely rare around here for the temperature to not rise above the freezing point at some point in the day. I am aware that those of you up north take no pity on us with your weeks below freezing, but I don't like bundling up. I'd much more like to be drinking Mimosa's under the shade tree.

Postponed the weekly grocery trek yesterday, going today instead. Just didn't feel like leaving the house.

Yesterday was the last visit from my wife's home health care nurse Staci. Nothing different this time, the last few visits were uneventful. We've been seeing her1-2 times a week since October and she is like one of the family now. She did ask to see the layout and was blown away! She took many pictures. Spent more time with me in the train shed than she spent with my wife.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Troy, Dave, OB Ken, George, Tom O, Karl, Hughie, Patrick, Mikey, James, Dave B, Louis, Sherrel, Curt, Justin, Smudge, Tom, Rick, Gary, Joe.

It was chilly yesterday out in the train shed. At 50° it wasn't conducive to painting or gluing anything. So I ran trains and gave a guided tour.
Ironically the scene that impressed Staci the most was this one.
IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7029.JPG

Followed by this one on the other side of the building.
IMG_7025.JPG

Karl- I saw excerpts from that VP conversation later on and I share your reaction. Thanks for the comment on the Antiques Barn.
Steve J - Glad to read that you are feeling better. How's your wife?
Times change, that Tom Thumb in Farmer's Branch has been gone for many years
Troy -
my wife asked me "are your hearing aids in?"

"Yes dear..."

"Well, go get those checked."
I'd be a rich man if I got a dollar for every time that is said in my house!!! And that's just the times that I actually hear it. I can adjust the volume on my hearing aids with my Android phone and I still have five steps up that I can go. It has an equalizer function as well so I can adjust various ranges individually.
Joe - Like you and many others, I am not getting my premiums worth from Medicare except the single colonoscopy. My wife however has had three knee replacements which took care of both of us! For prescription drugs, we use Humana mail order, which has been superb. We do not use Plan F, but use a supplement from Blue Cross.
Tom O -
At $16.00 per hour wages you can’t have a family, pay housing, eat and have
medical insurance.
In Texas, we have a lower cost of living than many states. $16/hour is not luxury, but it is a livable wage for many. Of course if you have day care, your spouse has to work as well.
Greg - Why the Museum Quality ScaleTrains locos? I have found that the Rivet Counter grade is more than satisfactory.
Mikey - I'll try to include more overhead shots where I can get good ones.
Ken (D&J) - I never used Fidelity as I had done some research on them in the 00's. I was OK with Amerprise and later an independent fiduciary, but my best results came after I retired and self-managed. I use Prudential as the carrier, but I do not use their advisors.
Sherrel -
I had to remark about the administration's energy policy
Is there really one???
Dennis - Do you think that the disconnected side rod has anything to do with the jumpiness of the 4-6-0?

Everybody have a great Friday. Stay warm and safe.

Last edited:
Good morning all,
It is up to -18, started out at -21f.

Flo - I will take the wheat chex again. I hope that box is almost empty!
Don't forget the hot Italian roast.

At this point in my life, I am thankful for an office job with days off.

When I hear the girls complain, I think back to my 9 months in the oil field (Bakken). I will take the adverse effects of that to the grave with me.

I see Willie got in before, more nice pics, Willie!
Have a great day

Dave LASM
were you on the TV show Boomtowners? or watch it?

FLO, Just drop the pot here. Going to need it today - I have about 30 option positions expiring today - unfortunately, most at a loss after this weeks action. I still have not learned that after a couple of weeks of great gains that the ball rolls downhill quickly.
Supposed to be 71F later on today up from the present 40F and Sunny to boot!

The Spousal Unit and I had a nice Indian dinner at a new (for us) restaurant. I had a chicken curry dish and she had a lamb dish.
Both were very good and the rice and garlic flat bread made a nice addition. The portions were large so dinner tonight will be left overs. I might add that the tariff was very reasonable compared to the way prices are escalating.

Lots of talk this AM about grocery stores - KEN - your comment about taking "one" item at a time out of the opposite side of the cart struck home. I might add that the one I love is the person in front of me that constantly fights the shoulder bag slipping off her shoulder while holding her cellphone leaving only one hand to place ONE item at a time on the conveyer. Being that I am so nice, I have offered a suggestion: "Why dont you put the bag and phone in the cart so you can not hold up the rest of us"?
Usually followed for a scowling face!

Better run for now and hop to the task at hand!

JUSTIN - Very nice looking GEEP!

Good morning all! 21 degrees this morning on the way to sunny and 25. Off again today and planning to go visit my parents.

Went to my grandson's final home 8th grade basketball game last night and it was a great one. He and his team played the best they have all year and beat the other team. I lost count but I think he scored around 18 points with 2 and 3 pointers along with one free throw. Pretty sure he had to have led the team in scoring but I never saw the stats to say for sure. They haven't had a great season but last night they played like champs.

Sad to hear that Meat Loaf died. Such an amazing voice and performer.

Didn't accomplish a whole lot yesterday. It was nice just having a day to relax for the most part. Hope you all have a great day!
pulled an album out yest pm that I was gonna record to cd, but left it on the floor & listened to it via cassette that I had recorded 45 yrs ago.
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell how is that for *coincidence*?

Always amazes me, how people will sell a loco because it "motor won't turn", or "poor runner" or "it's jerky in forward or reverse" and "motor very noisy" or some such, I've picked up 6 loco's in the last month or so, total cost to me £70.00.
Clean wheels, (black/grey) tighten motor mounting screws,(very loose) lubricate where required,(dry as a desert), run for 30 mins each direction, job done, simples.
I love people who really should never own a model locomotive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back