Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 46°, headed up to 71° later on after 74° yesterday. Then tonight another severe norther blows in and the high tomorrow is only expected to be 39° with a low of 23° Sunday morning. Severe wind advisory tonight with 30+ mph north winds. Cold snap will be short-lived as it will go back up to the mid-50's Sunday. 70° by Tuesday before the next front on Thursday. Typical up and down winter so far this season.

There seemed to be a lot more empty shelves in the grocery store yesterday than usual. Not out of anything, just fewer brands available to choose from. Some things like Cheddar Cheese were only available in the 2 pound packages, but no one or half pound choices. I guess that due to our proximity to Mexico and South Texas, the produce department was fully stocked as was the fresh meats. Packaged lunch meats are not quite as plentiful (think Oscar Mayer), but I don't usually get a lot of that to begin with. Bacon though was plentiful and on sale - still higher in price than six months ago. Mask usage was pretty low except on employees. I suspect that everyone has resigned themselves to the fact that they're going to get Covid regardless of mask usage.

Wife's visit to the orthopedic surgeon was especially encouraging. At six weeks, her range of motion and other measurements are already at normal three month levels. I am helping her rehab by surreptitiously moving the cane to another room so she has to make some short treks without it. Don't think that I am being cruel, I didn't start doing that until I noticed that she was sometimes leaving it behind herself.

Thought that I was getting better, but late yesterday afternoon I was feeling a bit rough again after bringing in firewood and cleaning ashes out of the heater. Shortness of breath all day, but not too bad until evening, and this morning that's still with me. Covid tests are completely unavailable around here and there is a minimum ten hour wait at all three local emergency rooms.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's loads and the progress on the detail parts; Patrick, Smudge, James, Louis, OB Ken, Steve J, Hughie, Gary, Justin, Joe, Curt, Tom, Rick.

BLT and OJ this morning Francine.

Yesterday out in the train shed was a visual bust. While I did get a little more detail painting done, it really doesn't deserve a picture yet. Most of my time was spent inspecting and testing the recently laid spur trackage to the two industries to the north of the brewery. I assembled, painted and installed two Walther's track bumpers. I still need to install one more ground throw, but everything worked well with a variety of locos and rolling stock. I have only connected one of the four sets of feeders that I installed; the rest are ready just need connecting. I use terminal strips because I am not good at soldering. It was comforting to know that all worked so well without all of those other feeders being connected yet. I always consider multiple sets of feeders as cheap insurance against power losses.The next step there is to paint the rails and ties. I use a rattle-can of Model Master's Light Earth and just cover it all. Then immediately I wipe off the tops of the rails. Then ballasting and more ground cover. While I have to get on to the floor to connect the feeders, two sets are easily accessible without going under the layout. The last one will have to wait until I feel better.
Since I took no pictures yesterday, I will go to the archives and hopefully find something that is not a repeat.
How about Uncle Tony's Wholesale Meats? Sometimes referenced as four-fingered Tony's.View attachment 138766
View attachment 138767
View attachment 138768
View attachment 138769View attachment 138770View attachment 138771
The laser-cut wood kit came from Bar Mills along with the boxes. All figures all except the lady shopping outside and the dog are hand-painted by me.

Tom O - Tie bundles are looking good. I admire how neat and organized your workbench is. I wish that I could discipline myself to be that orderly.
Patrick - Good to read that your wife is doing OK.
Ken (D&J) - Yep! Thomas is the most popular attraction at train shows around here as well. Most of the participating clubs don't even bother with switching any more as Thomas and continuous running are the top attractions. While I don't disdain Thomas, I don't own any of that equipment and have no intention of obtaining any.
Smudge -

You may have already read your answer, but many companies include "handling" which is a different term that they use that means that they are screwing you.
Louis - It's about time that they caught up with that stupid crooked b***h. She sure cost the taxpayers dearly with the Freddie Gray case.
Gary - Good choice for layout weights.

Looks like you guys in the northern and eastern regions of the country are in for some nasty weather coming up. Only cold here for a day.
Everybody stay safe and have a great weekend, three days for some.
Thanks Willie but I will admit the bench seldom stays clean and organized for long.

My Doctor current guy is a rotating Resident worked the ER for 2 weeks around Christmas. He said the biggest Covid fatigue in the medical community is patients coming to ER for testing. ER is an emergency room not a testing center. But at least in Wisconsin,if you show up in annER for any reason they have to look at you. Problem is if you think you have Covid they have to completely suit up and check you out.

TomO

Got my Broadway Limited SW7, by far the most beautiful loco I have owned, haven’t even put it on track yet and love the little guy lol So I got an Atlas Gold loco, is decent, a Walthers loco, not real happy with it, and Broadway Limited, which seems great…. Wife and her son changed plans so I was busy with them, no train time, but got to get back on it soon so I don’t get overly frustrated…. All I can say about all the snow I am hearing about is “when’s the first day of spring again?”….

Good morning friends! 32 degrees and rainy and windy heading for 35 here in southeast central Illinois. Vacation is over 😭 Sitting here drinking my coffee and wishing I didn't have to go back to work today. I miss being retired, but thanks to the cost of health care I'm still working.

Nothing much to report here again today. Hope you all have a great one!

Welp... that was fun

Had a slightly runny nose before bed. Didn't seem bad enough for a sinus pill, though.

Woke up once full of sinus pressure, not breathing through my nose type. As in jerked awake, can't breathe! Opened mouth, can breathe. Oh, yeah. That's how that worked.

blew nose, went back to bed.

Woke up an hour later with acid reflux. Took tums. This doesn't feel like AR. Hmmmm....?

That's when the night sweats hit. Spent a long time in the loo. Sipped ginger ale throughout the sweating which lasted an hour-ish, then I was just cold. Hit the recliner, aimed the space heater at me (it's low, so the breeze goes under the footrest and warms the chair from the bottom up.) Even with an afghan and the cat, I was still chilled.

I looked at the clock about 2am. Still chilled. Couldn't find a knob on the cat to turn his temp up. Shrugged and went back to sleep.

Woke up at 3:30 flipped to the other side in the recliner. Still chilled.

When I woke at 5:30, I was no longer cold. The chair is warm. However, I'm warmest because the symptoms are gone.

So, I'm sipping ginger ale and just turned the heater off. I'll do the forehead temp thing once I acclimate to room air temps. I don't trust the zapper temp guns if I've been too cocooned and the heater blowing on me.

So... I'm tracking symptoms. Probably going to isolate for 5 days just to be sure. Too bad the covid tests are so scarce. It would be nice to know. Yes, I'm triple vaxed.

Good thing I have a freezer full of frozen pizza, and other leftovers. Sherril better hold off on flying up her for a pizza. Let's make sure the Omi is long gone.

Good morning gang
16 degrees and sunny for now, supposed to get snow tomorrow into Monday, anywhere from a light dusting to 8 inches. Nobody knows, so it is what it is.
The tractor and the snowblower are fueled and ready, this in itself generally stymies a storm.
Heading out to get cat food and SWMBO a new IPhone case, then HD.

TROY .get thee some “Momma’s penicillin “ a.k.a. Chicken noodle soup and feel better.😁

BBL

Thanks for the well wishes!

Checked temp, running about 2° f over my normal temp. Yogurt worked for breakfast, and I'm up to coffee for beverage. I'll start on the zinc lozenges soon (already had my Vit D up to 6000 IUs daily since I spend most of my time in the basement away from sunlight.

I sense a nap or four in my future today, but I also have a book to edit. It's not as full of mismatched punctuation as Jazz, but it's still messy. Need to clean all that up, and deposit red herrings about.

Got my Broadway Limited SW7, by far the most beautiful loco I have owned, haven’t even put it on track yet and love the little guy lol So I got an Atlas Gold loco, is decent, a Walthers loco, not real happy with it, and Broadway Limited, which seems great…. Wife and her son changed plans so I was busy with them, no train time, but got to get back on it soon so I don’t get overly frustrated…. All I can say about all the snow I am hearing about is “when’s the first day of spring again?”….
Don’t think about Spring, it’s too soon. Think about sunshine as in Wisconsin that might be back this afternoon

Welp... that was fun

Had a slightly runny nose before bed. Didn't seem bad enough for a sinus pill, though.

Woke up once full of sinus pressure, not breathing through my nose type. As in jerked awake, can't breathe! Opened mouth, can breathe. Oh, yeah. That's how that worked.

blew nose, went back to bed.

Woke up an hour later with acid reflux. Took tums. This doesn't feel like AR. Hmmmm....?

That's when the night sweats hit. Spent a long time in the loo. Sipped ginger ale throughout the sweating which lasted an hour-ish, then I was just cold. Hit the recliner, aimed the space heater at me (it's low, so the breeze goes under the footrest and warms the chair from the bottom up.) Even with an afghan and the cat, I was still chilled.

I looked at the clock about 2am. Still chilled. Couldn't find a knob on the cat to turn his temp up. Shrugged and went back to sleep.

Woke up at 3:30 flipped to the other side in the recliner. Still chilled.

When I woke at 5:30, I was no longer cold. The chair is warm. However, I'm warmest because the symptoms are gone.

So, I'm sipping ginger ale and just turned the heater off. I'll do the forehead temp thing once I acclimate to room air temps. I don't trust the zapper temp guns if I've been too cocooned and the heater blowing on me.

So... I'm tracking symptoms. Probably going to isolate for 5 days just to be sure. Too bad the covid tests are so scarce. It would be nice to know. Yes, I'm triple vaxed.

Good thing I have a freezer full of frozen pizza, and other leftovers. Sherril better hold off on flying up her for a pizza. Let's make sure the Omi is long gone.
Doesn't sound like Omni, you sure your frozen Pizza's are still in date?

Good Morning!
The last time I was in for a coffee, was way back on page 36. That's a lot of reading that I don't have time for right now, so I just did a quick skim through. It's great to see so many wonderful photos have been brought in. Well done!

I've been away baby sitting for the whole week. My son goes to work at 6am, and dosen't return until 8pm. During the time he is gone, I play mother to 4 small children; two that arn't yet of school age. By the end of the day, I am a broken down old man.
Today and tomorrow are my day's off. I still have another month of week days to be a parent, instead of a retired grand-dad playing with modelling a layout.
Today, though, I get to work on this depot:
3rdClass_01-01-2022.jpg

I still have to build the warehouse extension and the rear kitchen addition before I can stucco the exterior. The front bay window extension is already built, but no photo yet.
After coffee, I'm also going to work on my layout table paved roadway, for which I'm using painted, rolled sandpaper. I hope to get that paper painted today; it's already had primer applied. - Photos will be taken and shared if it works out.

Since we are into some decent weather, finally, I believe I'll start the day giving the dog a decent walk and get some fresh air. Then I'll have a good breakfast and get into the modelling.

Here's a rail-bridge photo for you to look at before I go. I'm wishing there was a train on it, too. - Sometimes, I just don't get lucky:
McLeodBridge_10-07-2020 (1).jpg

Have a great day!

Mike, that is the one!

She ignored the only unbiased witness, the other prisoner in the Paddy wagon said "he was flopping (himself) around like a fish". The other prisoner suffered no injuries.
Sounds to me like Freddie killed himself trying to get a trip to the emergency room for pain medication. Hard, but not impossible to get a fix in jail, although it would be very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back