Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, hope this day finds you well! New internet tomorrow, (thanks for the comment Willie) I can't wait to tell US Cell to shove off!
No progress in the train room but more progress on the work bench with the Ulrich build, got it painted this morning.
Temps in the hi 40's today as yesterday, full sun, very pleasant!
A couple of raisin muffins toasted on the dark side and a bowl of the old fashion oatmeal please Flo......
Todays picture is what's under the train...a testament to the durability of this stuff........
IMG_20210120_132636786.jpg

HAVE SOME FUN TODAY!

And there big moment is finally here! After two months of work, my train room is mostly ready for use. A couple of minor things remain - I need to get my electrician to fix an outlet and I have to install pulls on the cabinet drawers. Most of this space is now available for my layout. As I mentioned, my plan is to build two layouts but I haven't yet figured whether I'm going to start with the HO scale switching layout or the N-scale computer controlled layout. Either way, everything is going to be built as modules so I can move things around as needed.

IMG_3321.jpeg

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 44° right now. Temperature is finally going to move today, upper 60's predicted. It's been stuck between 42° and 46° for the last 48 hours! It will however, be cloudy for the next four days with moderate thunderstorms Sunday. I ended up with .25" of rainfall yesterday despite it misting/drizzling for over twelve hours.
Time once again for the weekly grocery/beer trek to Denton. If it wasn't for fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as eggs, I really don't need to go. There's easily a three week supply of beer available and the freezer is packed with meat.

Hey there Flo. I'll take chicken fried steak with southern cream gravy, biscuits and grits this morning. Make it a double OJ as well.

Thanks as always or the many likes and comments regarding yesterday's postings; Justin, Chad, Karl, Jerome, Guy, Patrick, Joe, Tom O, Sherrel, Dave, Hughie, Phil, Tom, Curt, Garry, Ken, Jerry.

I was only out in the train shed briefly yesterday, since it was drizzling all day, my decided that it would be a good time to move all of the living room furniture so she could clean the floor. I didn't work on any projects, just ran trains.
So it's back to the archives or something so Guy doesn't have withdrawal from my pictures. I'm temporarily out of girlie pictures so let's look at
a project that I did from May through July 2018.
This is when I constructed downtown Maultown on a peninsula jutting off the upper deck. It started simply enough with the placement of some completed structures in position.

05-05-18 009.JPG

05-05-18 010.JPG

Ground cover was added.
07-16-18 001.JPG

Another structure was added with figures.
07-16-18 018.JPG

To be continued.

Jesse - If Sole Man Shoes is a big industry in your town, you might consider a tannery to supply leather. On most railroads, cowhides moved in the oldest most beat up boxcars available.
That new track plan looks like it could keep an engineer busy.
Guy -
Seems weird to me that a flat-car from so far away found it's way up here in the northwest. It also seems so complicated to keep track of these railcars all over the continent; that I don't even want to know how it's done
I'm going to tell you anyway!;) Nowadays, there's a transponder tag on every engine, freight car and caboose if used. It's known as AEI recognition system. Beats the heck out of the old way with a building full of clerks with ledger sheets and teletype machines!
I am not sure how it actually works today, but in years past there was a per diem fee that railroads charged each other for cars on foreign roads. I believe that the transponder on the flat car is just above the LH wheel in your last picture, and just barely in the LH frame (on the mineral red car) in your first picture. There's 1,000's of readers across the US and I am assuming the Dominion as well.

Everyone have a great day. Stay safe.

Good morning on this beautiful day in So. Central Wisconsin. High 30’s coming but there is a big wind chill dropping it to the teens, but oh the sun is shining! The daughter and g/kids took Terry to the airport. She is heading to the 50th state with stops in Austin for the son and Burbank, Ca. to pick up my sister.

Home alone, truly alone now will be different but I am fine. Trainroom, exercise with lots of swimming should make the time go. The retail buying therapy I indulged in on Tuesday night should start paying dividends on Friday per all the tracking messages I have.

Enjoy your day, be safe
TomO

Good morning. 30 degrees to start off the day. Was supposed to have some light snow but as usual, the forecast was wrong.

Willie - Enjoyed your photos. I can remember earlier photos of some of areas and the improvements you've made. Impressive. Like the RR crossing sign.

Dave LASM - Love the photos. Can remember when you added the power lines. What a difference they made.

Patrick
- Nice looking pickup. I agree with Karl about the glare caused by Armoral on the dash board. I ordered a dash cover for my daily driver, 2005 Buick LeSabre. Looks good and no glare.

Justin - Nice photos and the oops on the C&O loco.

Ken in MD - I really hated it when I had projects planned, started and go to a screeching halt when parts weren't available.

We have made the decision to sell our home and downsize to something smaller. Don't know exactly where yet, but I guess it's time to start trying to sell what I can from my layout. I know the day would come sometime and that time is almost here. My wife finally got me to admit that I am getting older and won't be able to maintain the yard and the house. MODEL RAILROAD FOR SALE. Will probably see what I can get on evilbay.

Here are some more archive photos.

thumbnail_20180804_145325.jpg

thumbnail_20190608_115836.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20190603-093742_Gallery.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_075850.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_080205.jpg

thumbnail_20191014_050800.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_122631.jpg

thumbnail_20190928_121257.jpg

Later

Morning! - Coffee-n-dark toast this morning, please. It's going to be a hobby day, unless I pick up the hammer and start bashing a hole in the wall downstairs so I can move a door 8' to the right. I don't even have a layout yet, but the vision in my mind ran out of real-estate awhile back. It would be nice to get an extra 8'.
Looks like we are into the last +/-3 days of above 10°F temperatures before winter finally sets in. Not much snow in the predictions.

Jesse - The little track layout looks very good. Looks small, light, and easy put-awayable.
Jerry - Neat info on the side-rail. Now I have to get on my hands-n-knees to photograph the side-rails in my area.
I'm going to tell you anyway!;) Nowadays, there's a transponder tag on every engine, freight car and caboose if used. It's known as AEI recognition system. Beats the heck out of the old way with a building full of clerks with ledger sheets and teletype machines!
Willie - I thought it would be tougher than that to think about - thought I might hurt myself if I tried to think about it. Thanks for clueing me in.
I really like the photo angle in your last photo; the scene looks real.
Flip - Sorry to hear you are ill. Take it easy, get well, and stay safe!

I cut a bunch of HO wooden rail-ties yesterday; simply cut some 1/8x1/8 spruce in half lengthwise. That makes a fairly close proximity to the plastic ties on my flex-track. Cut about 20 of them. Hope to get them painted today; but, I'm actually considering staining them with a dark walnut color. Might try some experimentation, as the existing ties will need some color co-ordination. I'll take pics, sometime when it's worth a show.

I don't only take photos of trains, planes, and bears. I also try to gather photos of various trucks-n-such, just incase I need to jog my memory for modeling purposes. If I'm going to weather something, I'd like to try and get it right to the best of my knowledge. So, I take photos of trucks and machinery to add to the archives:
Cat201Turbo_09-26-2020.jpg

1957 International.jpg

Airport2014.jpg

Thank you for the likes on these simple posts.

Have a great day!

Chet - So sad to hear you are selling out the layout. I truly hope you arn't thinking you are too old for railroading; never give up what you love to do!

If you do go the Bay route, you should do very well. I sold a bunch of R/C airplane stuff on there recently, and got 3x what I paid for it.

Good Mid Morning from the windswept SW where it is 49 heading towards 70 today - with, once again, clear sunny skies.
The last two days were like being in a hurricane with constant winds and gusts up to 60 MPH - it was terrible I tell you - just terrible. I keep having to retrieve the patio furniture from all over the yard and there is leaves and debris from who knows where, and don't forget the pile of tumbleweeds at the front door trying their best to get inside!

Coffee, FLO, a plate full of scrambled with bacon and a bowl of salsa -- wholewheat toast and OJ to top it off.

A grocery run is in order this morning - not for me, but the pups are out of Smoked Chicken Jerky and Pup-Peroni.
They are starting to attack and the whining is unbelievable!
The Spousal Units' knee surgery is off again after being rescheduled for the third time. Last evening she made a huge bowl of beef stroganoff - of course I over stuffed; we had the local daughter and Gson over to dine with us.

CHET - Nice pics of your layout - never get tired of seeing them. I hear you on the downsizing bit, but then I look around at all the Sh*&, and Cr*#, and Stuff that MOH has and does not want to part with - no way am I going to move all that for any distance - not to mention my "toys" as well. HA- I'll just leave it for the kids to deal with after I am gone! I don't even wish to think about all the books that she has. I'm talking about volumes of big books from her relative, Senator McClay, the first Senator from California. I have moved them all twice - not again!

I have to run - later gang.

Good Morning all! Another gray, overcast day with a 60% chance of rain. Another curbside is scheduled for noon.
I did in fact manage to connect the program track yesterday. I used a lead off the turntable so I can use it for a static display as well.
Programed the Kato 838. On a whim I took one of the Broadway Limited's that wasn't running and did a total reset. It worked, so I did the second BLI and it also revived. I'm not sure if it was/is something I'm doing, but they were running fine one day, the next all they would do is light up. Anyway they are running now, well yesterday.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Well after some looking back here on some posts. Especially with the troller throttles. Dont know if anyone knows or not but prior to my Varipulse I was running my layout with a troller trh40. Apparently the little brother of the trh200. I still use the trh40 too. I use it in tandem with my Varipulse. It just depends on which locomotive I'm running at the time. Oh and in case anyone thinks the traffic on my GP9 is a manufacturer oops. I actually found a prototype photo of a GP9 with the same graphic. Figured I'd share with yall.
CO-Veterans-Special-Sept-1967_003-1024x682 (1).jpg

I would say with how hard it was to find a prototype photo that this was really short lived or a mistake made in the paint booth.
tracker-walk-around-controller-trh-40_1_839089ff38160de96ead132329a95c37.jpg

What my main throttle is or was.... I still use it at any rate. It's been a good throttle. My atlas engines ain't much for it though. The very reason I went looking for an upgrade.

Afternoon All,

I finished up the first company house. The material is pretty fragile and I put too much weathering on the back wall. :( After that I spent about 4 hours reworking a piece of track that I didn't like the geometry. Of course by the time I was done I had moved 2 T/O's and 3 tracks.:rolleyes: Tomorrow when I hook power back up I need to be careful since this area is where the reverse loop starts.

Thank you everyone for the photo likes yesterday.

Guy- Nice 1:1 truck photos.

Justin- Nice looking locos. I understand about the OCD. I hope you can get the GP9 figured out and remember there's a prototype for everything.

Jesse- That looks a lot better.

Kleiner- Nice looking basement.

Jerry- Nice rail shot.

Willie- Great layout shots.

Chet- Very sorry to hear about the layout future. Nice pictures.

20210121_095953.jpg

20210121_100010.jpg

20210121_100021.jpg

20210121_100033.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning all! Another gray, overcast day with a 60% chance of rain. Another curbside is scheduled for noon.
I did in fact manage to connect the program track yesterday. I used a lead off the turntable so I can use it for a static display as well.
Programed the Kato 838. On a whim I took one of the Broadway Limited's that wasn't running and did a total reset. It worked, so I did the second BLI and it also revived. I'm not sure if it was/is something I'm doing, but they were running fine one day, the next all they would do is light up. Anyway they are running now, well yesterday.

STAY SAFE
LATER
I don't know if this applies to other brands of DCC controllers, but with my NCE, if running locos in their Advanced consisting method, short circuits can cause 1 or more of the locos to "drop out" and become non controllable. What it means is the whole consist has to be "killed", the "offender/s" accessed individually and POM'd using CV19 = 0 to restore function. Then rebuild the advanced consist. Whether it would be possible to avoid the killing part and just do the CV19 = 0 bit and then add them back to the consist, which you can do, would work, I just thought of. I can't say I've had a lead or rear loco drop out, because they are identified as such in setup.

Last edited:
Good evening, everybody ..

We have made the decision to sell our home and downsize to something smaller. Don't know exactly where yet, but I guess it's time to start trying to sell what I can from my layout. I know the day would come sometime and that time is almost here. My wife finally got me to admit that I am getting older and won't be able to maintain the yard and the house. MODEL RAILROAD FOR SALE. Will probably see what I can get on evilbay.

Chet: .... Sorry, but I will not be doing that. My layout is part of me, and I'm not leaving it. Our home is more than the two of us can take care of, and so, we hire people to do much of the work. ... For example, we have a cleaning person come regularly for house cleaning. She is a young single mother, and she needs the money to support her 7-year old son. .... We pay somebody to mow the grass and do yard work. ... There are other examples. That way, my wife and I each has the time to do stuff we enjoy. I suggest you think it over. My 2 cents. ..... The photos you posted today are fantastic !

Curt : ..... Your house in your photos is very nice.

Justin ..... The GP9 is in the shadows and we can't tell if the C&O herald is centered or not. Problem solved, keep the GP( in the shadows! :D

Willie ...... You posted a great group of photos today. Your streets and roads look very nice.

Kleiner ..... Nice area for a layout !

Jerry .... Your photo is a good reminder to us about rails not being shiny like nickel-silver. I paint my rails before installing track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back