Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont know how to just put part of a post as a quote, so all above is included. Did you mean Nokian all Season, or are they not Nokian all Weather. All weather much better than all season, least as way for Alberta winter weather. Little to no snow where I am now, +4C in the shade. Unbelievable for Jan.

They are the all-season, not the all-weather. I wanted the all-weather but they were not available in my size (at least in this area, including to order). For the amount of snow we get here in the valley these all season should be fine. Better than the Michelin all season I had (which wore down quickly).

Willie - I'll try to get a close up of the one that derails. The one with the missing rail is probably going to be cannibalized for parts. I will test the track for voltage later. My son was enjoying watching the train run its laps too much to worry with it last night. Besides, the longer I look at the layout, the more I think it needs tweaking. One of my next acquisitions is going to be a standards gauge so I can make sure everything is lined up properly. Once I get the bugs worked out I will add cork roadbed.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Dang banks.....Be responsible and pay off your credit and what do they do????

No current history so your score 50 points lower than when you last took out a loan 2 years ago.....Interest rate 2.5% higher as a result. I should have owned a bank......

Good morning, good to check in today. I am not even trying to catch up on it all, however have a few comments

TomO - we are a few degrees cooler at 15 F

Ash Pit - pretty chilly up there - Bemidji?

Willie - I love making trees. I put quite an assembly line in place and make 20-30 at a time, usually.

By the way, nice scenery!

I got the details on my Kerosene truck completed Sunday, have this picture to post:

Finished truck.jpg

The man is cast and actually came with the kit!

more later, Dave

Good Morning Everyone....overcast sky as usual and mild for January in Wisconsin.

Puppy sitting our new puppy Riley so I've been watching some TrainMaster videos of Mike Canfalone weather locomotives using oils and Pan Pastels. I learn something new every time I watch one of his instructional weathering videos. I learned that I don't blend the Pan Pastels enough or use enough successive coats of DullCote to seal the Pastels. Diluted black oil applied with a small brush brings out the hinges and openings in the sides of a locomotive. I have a SOO GP38-2 that I'll rework later this afternoon when Cathy takes over puppy sitting Riley. I have the entire afternoon for working on the layout or weathering.

Speaking of Riley....she's just over 9 weeks old and is really smart. Riley uses Potty Pads (well most of the time), can sit, comes on Command, knows her name and play a game of finding the Milk Bone biscuit. The only problem is she likes to get up at 4:00 AM. Have to change that.....!

After watching the first weathering videos, I ordered more Pan Pastels of a different color which I was lacking.

Yesterday, I ordered a freight car off of Amazon and I already forgot which road name, but I know I don't have many of them in my inventory.

IBKen and Chet:
Our snow blower was used once this year. Cathy enjoys doing the driveway and sometimes I'll find her doing the neighbors' drive(s).

TLOC: Great work space setup and layout above.

Better check on Riley.....talk later fellow modelers.

Greg

#################

IMG_0456.JPG

Thank you Willie: Me too. he lives in NC, so we can't blame Murphy for this one...He has doubled his course load for his MBA program, so he is using this quarantine, to get ahead with his work.

On a similar note, whoever is running Jersey's vaccination program has dropped the ball. The "reservation center" finally allowed us to register, and confirmed the registration, then sold us we would be notified when our "turn" came up...from news accounts, they are not even close.
Houston, the nations 4th largest city, population including surrounding area 4.5 million people. They sent 30,000 doses. Makes you wonder who's steering the boat.

OK...Much calmer space. New truck and paperwork after work!

We were paper training the first puppy the Mrs. and I had when we were first married. He did pretty well, and to my surprise, I was reading the paper one Sunday morning and set a pice of it beside my chair when he ran up and used it. Wife said don't be mad, he used the paper.....lol and I wasn't mad, just surprised. He was a good dog.

Texas Hobo, the captain of the boat is changing but there were no dozes left behind so this is going to be interesting. 30,000 for 4.5 million doesn’t make great sense.

I am in the train room cleaning. Took some pictures of the semi clean modeling space and added to the thread, Work Benches.

Vacuum cleaner coming out next and finally going to lay out the rubber tiles I have for the aisle. I don't have enough but they have sat around awhile and need to be used, out with some carpeting strips.

Tom
83DDEC7C-C03F-4B68-85C4-92C13DF79FBB.jpeg

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Ran my trains last night. Anyone have any knowledge on Atlas Classic locomotive lighting? My GP7 has no working lights what so ever. I'll try to take a pic later with the shell off. Stumbled onto a relic of an item on ebay last night. A troller trh-200. What is this gizmo? Anyone ever seen or used that thing? I dont have much more to add at the moment. I'll stop by later. I hope everyone has a good day.
20210119_145923.jpg

Afternoon All,

Worked at the workbench today finishing the church and starting the gas station. The church is not my finest build by any stretch of the imagination. It will be a "2 foot" build. I just couldn't get the walls square which meant the foundation and roof was off. :confused: I put a shake roof on it instead of what was provided.

Hughie- That will be a nice scene when done.

Joe- Nice photos. I must of missed about your son before but I wish him well.

Jesse- Forgive me but the switch area on the left looks a little "wonky" to me from the photo. One thing I always do for reliable power is solder feeders close to each end of every turnout (not on the T/O) I use PECO Insulfrogs and never have a power issue. I would also in addition to the track gage get a small 2 way plastic level. The T/O has to be level to ensure smooth operation.

Willie- More nice girly photos.

Guy- That looks nice and clean.

moermusic- I'm always up for new friends.

Dave LASM- What a great scene.

Greg- Cool scene. Love the broken coupler on the ground along with the falling apart cabin car.

Justin- Reminds me of a old stationary power pack that was made portable.

20210119_112905.jpg

20210119_112914.jpg

20210119_112922.jpg

20210119_112931.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ....

Hmmmm, lotsa legs in Willieland!

Karl ..... We've been wondering about Sherrel l, but maybe we should wonder about willie also. 😉

Joe ..... More great photos from you.

Guy .... Your wiring is neatly done.

Dave LASM .... Your kerosene truck looks fantastic.

Greg ..... Your rust on the caboose looks real.

Curt .... The church looks great.

Hughie .... Your sene with Earl's looks very nice.

Justin .... GP7 lights don't work? Did the previous owner burn out the light bulbs? ... That looks like a walk around throttle by Troller.

Here are some pictures of the 1900 era section of my layout for those who have not seen it. I saved buildings and trains from my previous layout, and I decided to include them even though my main era is about 1960.

39003913355_725f6e7bb3_c.jpg
28157296049_aed9a825d7_c.jpg
26079525988_4e6a2e856a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Evening, the bird feeder had a dual purpose. The birds feed on the seeds and a sparrow hawk feeds on them. A couple of squirrels tempted fate at the feeder but became lunch for a Red Tailed hawk. It's been very quiet in a normal noisy yard. Haven't seen any mice or squirrels in a while. Haven't had to fill the feeder in over a week either.

No current history so your score 50 points lower than when you last took out a loan 2 years ago.....Interest rate 2.5% higher as a result. I should have owned a bank......

The scoring is always tilted against you. Too much history = negative; too little history = negative; too high a ratio = negative; too low a ratio = negative. On top of that, there is a different score in place for each type of loan. If you shop around, too many inquiries = negative. Can't win with these people.

Good evening gang
Got about an hour at the workbench tonight.took apart the Botchman wiring connector and put the correct wiring colors to it, and and got everything but the rear light hooked up. That is for after initial testing, tomorrow night?
20210119_210816.jpg

Justin, should just be a centrally mounted 12 volt bulb in the center of the loco., or, depending on the age there may be 2 12v bulbs on a pc board on top of the engine. In either case, a minatrinics 12 v grain of wheat bulb should suffice. Just be sure it doesnt touch the shell, they can get hot on long runs.

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to research what sort of "intermodal" train cars say, UP uses (better uses in this area) in the modern era, where would one look? I've been trying to use a search engine but don't get any substance.

Looking at models of various well cars, flat cars, cars with trailers on them, etc. I see all sorts and not all are connected to a RR company and I am not sure what would be valid for UP

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 39*F and calm under clear skies here in central MD.

A quick shout-out to all who 'liked' my drive-by post from Monday night: Garry, Phil, Hughie, Tom-O, Sherrell, Patrick, Guy, Karl, Tom-C

Jesse
- It looks like you have kinked joints on both ends of the bottom turnout connection in the upper-left corner of your photo. I clipped a piece of it to show you what I'm referring to:
202100119_KinkedTurnouts.jpg

A kink in straight track could cause enough problems, but a kink leading into a sharp-radius turnout will definitely give you derailments. (P.S. I just noticed you also have uneven joints between the curved sections in the top half-loop.) Can you get any flex track? That would be the easiest way to avoid kinks and still use that track plan. Otherwise, you might try pre-joining all of your track sections tightly together before permanently spiking down your track, although your curve radius won't be as broad.

Tom-C - I had to laugh when I read your post about the bird feeder. We have squirrels constantly devouring the seeds we put into our feeders for the birds; they always seem to find ways to either outsmart the anti-squirrel devices, or - when that fails - literally chew thru them! I asked my wife if she'd like to see raptors swoop down and devour the squirrels, but she said "Absolutely not - that would be too gruesome!" 😄

Guess it's time to share the incremental photos of my F9-to-F7 conversion. As you may recall, I was using the cannibalized shell to rehearse the cutting-up operation. An important insight I got was that my Dremel 1/8th-inch, rounded cutting bit was the wrong tool for the job: Because it wasn't much bigger than the thickness of the plastic, if I failed to keep it in far enough it would "escape" and claw its way upward outside the boundary of the intended cut-out area - potentially damaging the shell. So, I had to make a trip to my local Ace Hardware to get some of the optimum-shaped bits that I needed. As luck would have it, their Dremel section was heavily picked-over and they had nothing even close to what I was looking for! That forced me to go to Home Depot and see what they had; luckily I found what I needed. But this used up an extra hour of the time I'd set aside for this project.

Here's what I bought: A long, narrow grinding bit that was the same diameter as my ill-suited cutter (right) and a pointed-tip grinder (left) which I used to get rid of the bulge of the bottom headlight:

DremelCuttingBitsUsedOnFUniits.jpg

That long bit gave me much-better control of the cutting-out process, without the risk of runaways!

Before I began cutting, I grabbed a Sharpie and blacked-over the areas I wanted to eliminate - the panels immediately behind the forward doors on each side, and the 48" diameter dynamic brake fan:
Stewart_F9_ShellBeforeCarving.jpg

I on the side panels, I started at the porthole with the Dremel and worked my way outward from there, using jewelers' files to smooth the edges. For the 48" fan, I had to drill a quarter-inch diameter hole in the center as a starting point for the cutting bit. Here is the shell with target areas carved out:
Stewart_F9_ShellCarvedOut.jpg

A little more filing of the edges wherever needed, and I was able to fit-in the pieces from the cannibalized shell (including the 36" D/B fan). I filled in the bottom headlight opening with quick-setting J*B Weld:
Stewart_F9_ShellFillersInstalled.jpg

Before permanently cementing the pieces in, I decided to slap a coat of PollyScale Reefer Gray primer on them to minimize the chance of any underlying contrasts in darkness of the final paint:
Stewart_F9_ShellFillersPrimed.jpg

I spent pretty much all of my free time on Monday sculpting this shell, which is why I didn't have time for a normal-type post. Now I'll need to order a set of Stewart/Bowser F unit super-detailing grab irons from Detail Associates (or whoever makes them [?])...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back