Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHIL - In my eyes You can only be a "Dirty Old Man" if you lust after another!
I don't want another - I just like to "window shop"- it keeps my mind younger!
I can't afford a new car, but I still like to look!
I would only wish to be eighteen again if I could go back to when I was actually eighteen - not in today's world!

Good morning gang
34 degrees under cotton candy skies the morning!
20210117_072009.jpg

Soent the whole day yesterday in the basement with some success. Film at 11.

Phil, Sherrel, just cuz you on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu!

Good morning....Coffee Flo, was a late night.
Anyone ever order pipe from these guys, just wondering how they are. https://www.iascaled.com/store/HO-CULVSM

Tom, I haven’t ordered the culvert pipes yet but have seen them. ISE are the same guys that created and sell the ProtoThrottle ( I have 3 of those) and Nathien and Michael are 2 of the great people you’d want to meet. The culverts pipes are worth it and look great. They have a series of grain bins I have been contemplating purchasing.

TomO

Good Morning Folks. Around here it's partly cloudy and 39°. Forecast is for 60° today and 66° tomorrow and then a week of rain chances every day. Moderate to warm temperatures though. Other than tonight, the nighttime temperatures will be above 40°. Seasonable for here.
Thanks for sharing your sunrise with me Karl.
IMG_5513.JPG

The annual Dallas train show is this weekend, but I am not driving 70 miles on the chance that they will be at capacity. It's always crowded.

I'll go with chicken fried steak, southern cream gravy and biscuits again this morning to go with my OJ, Flo.

Thanks everybody for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the new feed store; Tom O, Tom, Guy, Karl, Sherrel, Justin, Hughie, Troy, Garry, Jerome, Gary, Curt, James.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued painting figures and running trains in between.
IMG_5504.JPG

Rounding out the year 2020 modeling review, I will close with my final big project of the year, the trailer unloading yard.
IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

And the area across the tracks.
IMG_5510.JPG

Tom -
I have a feeling that a GP40 will be coming down the line. A lot of roads had them
Yes there were a lot of them built, but ATSF didn't have a single one of them. At the time they purchased many GP38's (61 units) and then purchased GP39-2's, (106 units). They did have ten of the GP40X experimental units, but those were a whole different thing.
Belated Happy Birthday to your wife.
Joe - So nice to read that Molly seems to have recovered.
Justin - Belated Happy Birthday to your wife also.
Curt - While the structure is laser-cut wood, it is simulated cinder block construction.

Gotta go now, everybody have a great day.

Good morning y'all. 34° and sunny...

Spent a good part of the afternoon making six connections, of connecting wire to the buss. Test engine indicated I had a problem, as 5 of 6 connections failed...Either the connectors I used are not making good contact, or the soldered connection at the rail has failed....Time to get the voltmeter out, (if I can find it :rolleyes:). I'm not usually bad at soldering wire connections o I'm betting on the wire connectors....*&%##$!!

Forgot the Devils were playing yesterday afternoon. They won in OT over Boston,(2-1). 3 points in two games! And several key players still out of action.

Saturday Night means Hockey Night (in Canada). Over the last twenty years, watching HNIC has become a ritual, thanks to the "Magic" of Center Ice (on Cable) or NHL TV (streaming). Mostly featuring the Maple Leafs, (Canada's version of the Dallas Cowboys). As CC (and SN) drifted toward a more Politically Correct theme, I started watching the feed in French....No clue what they said, but I avoided getting pissed at Ron McClain. This year, revolting over paying $100 for a shortened season, and having cut the cable, I resorted to listening to the melodious voice of Joe Bowen, the Toronto Radio Play by Play guy. Damn, they have some strange commercials on 1050 TSN Radio o_O:rolleyes: BTW, Leafs beat Ottawa 3-2 with the help of the officials. (See, just like the Dallas Cowboys ;)).

Today, being Sunday, I'll set aside some time to participate in the Lutheran church service stream, and spend more time under the layout.

PA with  train at Belmar, NJ.jpg

Caption says it all. View from 10th Avenue looking East.
Sharks at Belmar.jpg

Another view from Belmar, Pair of Sharks and train in station...Background toward right, you can see counterweights of the "Shark River" Movable Bridge.

Good morning from Wisconsin. 28 now heading to 30f degrees with a freezing drizzle falling now, nasty roads later. I have been up a couple of hours and Terry is up and turned the TV on. So, depressing, enough said by me.

Not sure what is next today.

TomO

Good morning Shop Dwellers! 36*F and cloudy with a slight WNW breeze at my home near the Old Main Line. Glancing at the 10-day forecast, the typical weather will consist of temps in the upper-30's/low-40's and >10mph winds from the West. I'm confident that there probably will not be any significant (read: disruptive) snowfall:

SnowBlowerAssembled.jpg

That's right, I finished assembling the new snowblower and test-ran it yesterday, and Murphys Law dictates that most disasters you prepare for never actually happen. (Karl, I guess that should make you happy since you're usually under the same weather system as I am..[?]) The assembly process itself wasn't as bad as I'd feared, thanks to (1) some Youtube videos describing how to do it, and (2) my son coming home for the weekend unexpectedly and helping me with it. The most time-consuming task was removing, and then later slicing-up, the huge box that it was shipped in. Geez, that thing must have yielded ~100 sq ft of thick corrugated cardboard! It filled two large Rubbermaid totes, we'll use it as kindling for our woodstove.

Never found time to do mrr activities, since I slept later than I planned, and spent most of the morning driving to-and-from a distant town to buy ethanol-free gasoline for the blower. The evening was spent with MOH watching a biographical movie about Judy Garland. "It got 4-and-a-half stars!" she said excitedly before we watched it, but that didn't make it enjoyable for me - I've always hated tragedies, especially when they focus on how the main character does all these self-destructive behaviors leading to their ultimate end.

In other news, my wife got her second dose of the Covid vaccine yesterday and, as anticipated, woke up this morning with chills and aches. That's supposed to signal that her immune system is being activated to fight the actual virus if it ever enters her bloodstream.

After we get back from Mass, I'm hoping to find time to do some "practice" cutting on my junk F-unit shell to see if I'll actually be able to successfully perform the transformative surgery on my F9 shell. I have a Plan-B that doesn't involve cutting if the practice cut fails.

Cheers!

Morning!
The 'They' people are suggesting a 15% chance of precipitation today. Perhaps that should be upgraded to 100%, as it did snow a skiff overnight. I'm hoping it dosen't turn to rain and freeze on the streets; it's 29°F already this morning at 7am. Expectations are a high of 36°F; warm enough for rain instead of snow. - Anyway, it's going to be a beautiful Sunday; if a person don't have to drive somewhere.

It seems to be busy in the coffee shop these last days. Think I'll just have a couple of Joe's and get out; I don't want to be hogging all the available space.

Sherrel - Thank you for the kind words said yesterday!

Karl - Wonderful morning sunrise photo you posted today. That looks like a fine neighborhood you live in.

GeeTee & Sherrel - I have studied the siren videos you posted until I was at risk of going permanently cross-eyed. Poor girls; to be cursed like that.

Thank you to all who liked my SD40 walk-around photos of yesterday.

I did do some layout work yesterday; soldered on 7 pairs of track feeders, which should be enough to cover this small 3x4 module.
I'm using #18 gauge solid thermostat wire, black and white, because that's what I have lots of. Perhaps a little bit big in size, but, seems to work out well. At first, I thought it would be a lot harder to do than it actually was. Turns out, it is easy to solder feeders onto tracks:

TrackSolder_8.jpg

I did manage to get it all done.
Now I have to wait for my terminal strips that I will mount under the module. They are supposed to arrive by tomorrow. I'll take another photo when I get everything hooked up.

Have a great Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back