Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie- it would be interesting to see your train in person.
Here is a rough diagram (very rough, I'm not artistic) of the train shed layout. Scale is not truly accurate. This drawing is a little "scrunched" at the bottom. Bottom level has approximately 165' of main line (including one staging track at each end), while the upper level has 180'. In all, there's about 1300' of trackage including 11 passing sidings of 18'+ each and the 12 track 18' staging yard on the right as well as all industrial spurs, etc.

train shed 001 (2).jpg

Both levels follow roughly the same contour but not exactly. Dashed line indicates the backdrop. Since I made this diagram, I completed the workbench and the upper level to allow for continuous running in front of the door on the lower right. Two staging yards are on the lower level; on the upper level above staging, is a classification yard. The location of the trailers that I have been showing lately is on the upper level in the upper right hand corner. Nothing along either side of the "U" on either level at the bottom is developed, although all main lines, yards and passing sidings are in. Switches are in to allow for whatever I decide to put there. Part of the upper level across from the word "Staging" on that "U" actually has about 50' of track in place for a future ethanol processor, as well as the main and passing siding.
The shed itself is a clear span with no columns inside. I hope to have scenery completed by the end of 2025.

Afternoon All,

Spent the day working on the company store and just have the roof left to do. I'll take a picture tomorrow when it's complete.

Dave LASM- Nice layout shot.

TomO- Nice simple scene.

Justin- Nice looking cars. Who makes them? Mine are all Bowser (kits and RTR) but Bowser is heavily invested in all types of Pennsy freight cars.

IB Ken- Congrats on the new arrival :D.

Tom- Nice loads. What is old is new again. I had both as a kid.

Jesse- You shouldn't have but since you did I'll take 2.

Joe- Nice photo. Good luck with the Cardiologist.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon and apologies for not having checked in for a couple of weeks. Lots of good photos, liked all of the Alcos and Joe's GG-1's. Gerry's NP RS-3's are sweet. Really liking Terry's and Willie's photos also. TomO, excellent photos.

I have been busy taking care of small things, training the new dog and working on selling some more cars. Haven't had the computer on for almost 2 weeks. Didn't miss it too much but had to get on today to order something from Amazon.

I haven't been able to spend any time in the train room. The few minutes I was down in the basement, the new dachshund, Molly, would start crying at the basement door. She is a smart little girl. Don't have the potty training duties that Greg has. I have to work with her to respond to being called and having her return as I would like to be able to let her off the leash. She's still learning the house and is such a sweet little thing. Lots of kisses and tail wagging going on.

thumbnail_20201229_072635.jpgthumbnail_20201231_131544.jpgthumbnail_20210104_111145.jpg
Ginger and Molly are getting along fine now. It took a few days but they are getting along well. Ginger has taught her how to guard the driveway for anything that doesn't belong there. They're best buddies now. The last photo is the girls taking their morning nap.
thumbnail_20201231_071517.jpg

Have a phone call, gotta go.

Chet

Chet !! !! ..... We missed you ! ..... Ginger and Molly are very nice looking dachshunds . But they need to allow you more time to post in the forum and to spend time in the train room. 😉

Justin .... That's a great photo of your locomotives.

WIllie .... Your sketch of your layout is helpful. Glad you posted it.

Everybody: .... Have a good evening !

Afternoon All,

Spent the day working on the company store and just have the roof left to do. I'll take a picture tomorrow when it's complete.

Dave LASM- Nice layout shot.

TomO- Nice simple scene.

Justin- Nice looking cars. Who makes them? Mine are all Bowser (kits and RTR) but Bowser is heavily invested in all types of Pennsy freight cars.

IB Ken- Congrats on the new arrival :D.

Tom- Nice loads. What is old is new again. I had both as a kid.

Jesse- You shouldn't have but since you did I'll take 2.

Joe- Nice photo. Good luck with the Cardiologist.

I hope everyone has a good night.
They are Roundhouse kits. I have quite a few Roundhouse cars on my layout. They are super reliable for me. They just dont give me any problems and that in itself is a good pay off. The ones I just purchased have good roster numbers to the prototype. However the Chesapeake and Ohio in the center is wrong. But they are good enough for me.

Good morning, y'all 24° and clear just before sunrise. Those donuts Jesse brought in look great.

Couldn't sleep after 4AM, so here I am. 3 cups of coffee, and groggy. Guess we have a lot on our minds this morning. I have an appointment with the Cardiologist, this afternoon, but that doesn't enter into my uneasiness.

View attachment 123127
The Famous CNJ "Blue Comet" in Atlantic City. Date and Photographer unknown. Note the Cab Signal and Train Control boxes below the smokebox.
That's a massive Pacific. I think a photo of an engine like this with that big tank or whatever is ahead of the smokestack was one of the things that attracted me to American trains. That and the fact they looked so similar to NZR's home built steam, which of course were patterned on them. Got a photo of one somewhere with the same sort of tank, but mounted on the side, see if I can find it. Here it is, on one of the 4-8-4's. Somewhat similar, but maybe not.
1610503054519.png

Just a random pic, while I was searching for the previous one of a scenic railway in the Coromandel ranges, on the Coromandel Peninsula which is on NZ'ed's North Island eastern coast. Just remember when the car goes out on to the viewing platform to get out on the correct side
1610504408282.png

Well I made it down to the basement tonight. my first project was to retruck an RS3, however we'll took the trucks out of the package, they were damaged.I have sent correspondence to eBay seller to see if he can make it right. Project number 2, picture is attached below. it's a 3D printed model of a Western Maryland chop nosed GP 9. all in all it's not a bad body shell, the nose piece is correct however the fan detail is somewhat lacking . I think I'm going to cut them off and replace them with Canon fans. I may even change the headlight castings. However it rides well on a Proto 2000 chassis also a lot of small detail parts are yet to be added but it's something I can do while I'm waiting for the weather to warm up for paint.
20210112_211846.jpg

Sandman time, catch you all in the morning.

Hello Shop Dwellers! It's 31*F clear and calm in my central MD neighborhood.

Thanks for the likes and comments on my Monday post - Phil, Hughie, Luke, Patrick, Joe, Karl, Roof-man, Jerry, Sherrell, Tom-O, Tom-C, Willie, Curt

. . .
Ken, Glad to see you got your snow blower, BTW were having daytime highs in the 50's this week. Thanks!! ;)
. . .
My pleasure Karl! If those temps include dry air, that'll come in quite handy for assembling the blower on the driveway. Can't do it in the shed because the box barely fits in there with the mower, generator, log splitter and other stuff. As for the garage...well, you know what's in there!:rolleyes:😄

Chet - nice to see that the doxies are now enjoying each other's company!

Bedtime kinda snuck-up on me here, I gotta go now...C-ya!

Good morning....Coffee Flo,please. Back to work tomorrow on the split shifts at work. We have 3 out due to family members testing positive. My shift will be 2 on and gain 2 by the middle of next week.The other shift that ends today is down 1. Good thing we're doing this otherwise the whole shop would be out.

Morning all,

Currently partly cloudy and 29° this morning. Supposed to get breezy this afternoon with a high of 60°.

Time for a cup of coffee and what the heck, let's have the steak and eggs this morning. Thanks Flo.

Anyone have a source for an Athearn 11529 or a Smokey Valley SD9 handrail set (or equivalent)? I need it for a BB GP7 as I have one that is missing those parts. The 11529 is the "correct" part and in reading the Smokey Valley part is similar. Unfortunately these are now made of unobtainium. I think I can bend some but I'd like to get something that's a little less work. No really close hobby shop has anything (no real train stuff in any of them anymore).

Anyone have a source for an Athearn 11529 or a Smokey Valley SD9 handrail set (or equivalent)? I need it for a BB GP7 as I have one that is missing those parts. The 11529 is the "correct" part and in reading the Smokey Valley part is similar. Unfortunately these are now made of unobtainium. I think I can bend some but I'd like to get something that's a little less work. No really close hobby shop has anything (no real train stuff in any of them anymore).

Patrick, do you need the whole set, or just pieces?? I'll dig through my handrails tonight, IIRC I may still have some GP7 parts. I sold off all of my Athearn Geep 7s a while back with parts, but something tells me I still have some. BTW with minor modification, Atlas "yellow box" GP7 handrails and Front Range plastic handrails will fit.

Good Morning All. Clear and 30°, headed up to 60° later today.
Got a late birthday present in the mail yesterday.
IMG_5501.JPG

Came from a company called Schrader's Railroad Catalog.
It's made of metal and will proudly attach to the train shed to warn people of the "stoop-under" immediately inside the door.

I'll take a stack of waffles and a pile of sausage this morning Flo.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the layout tour pictures yesterday; Tom, Rick, Tom O, Luke, Dave, Gary, Justin, Karl, Patrick, James, Garry, Hughie, Jerome, Joe, Sherrel, Phil, Troy, Ken.
And thanks too for the likes on the crude train shed drawing.

Continuing on with the layout tour as I work my way along the north wall with the structure cleanup, we come to Medusa Cement, another of those Walther's pike-sized industries. I have temporarily misplaced the signage for this structure, but as soon as I find it, on it will go.
IMG_5489.JPG

Moving west along the wall, going south layout wise, we come to another pair of Walther's structures, another grain elevator and it's partner feed & seed store.
IMG_5481.JPG

It's known as Farmers Cooperative Rural Grain Elevator.
Next along the back wall are two more industries and on the aisle side is a small Bar Mills kit known as Magees Tire Service.
IMG_5483.JPG

On the right is Miracle Manufacturing, made from Pikestuff wall components and on the left is Federal Cold Storage; which is the Walther's Brook Hill Dairy. Rail served dairies were a thing of the past in my layout's era and locale.

Joe -
Guess we have a lot on our minds this morning.
Yes and I am not sure where it is all leading. I am just going to continue to isolate and ignore the world for a few days. Maybe it will all go away.
Chet - I think that all of us have missed you the last few weeks. Doggies look contented.

Here's a few words of wisdom gained from years of experience. If you don't want to be awakwned in the middle of the night by a loud scream from your bathroom, pit the damn seat down.

Everybody stay safe and have a great day.

Morning from the SW where its 41 ° and slated to reach 77 ° later on with clear, cloudless skies. Believe it -- supposed to reach mid 80's next few days. Things will start budding only to be killed off with colder temps in Feb/Mar time frame.

FLO - Scrambled eggs with onions and bell peppers this morning, please! AND a big slice of Spam on the side - glass of OJ too!

Fine words of wisdom there, Willie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back