Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son texted from Austin. Around noon rain switched to snow. All Austin Texas pools are closed till noon tomorrow. He got a kick out of that. Our pools close in September in Wisconsin but some of our ice rinks are all year.

TomO
Yup! It finally started snowing here about 30 minutes ago. Kids in Dallas say it started there about two and a half hours ago. Local Weather Underground station a mile away reports .01" so far...not much yet.

Last edited:
Good day Model Railroaders! Hope this day finds everybody well! Here we are on the trailing edge of the weekend!
Some moderate weather here on the high desert, low 20's at night, low 40's at day.
Flo, I'll try one of those boneless donuts that Hughie brought in and a cup of deer camp coffee please.
Looks like a train load of stuff going on at the coffee shop, everything from steam loco line ups, construction projects, car weathering, computer builds & trespassing charges o_O;)
I've been working on the gondola build, haven't even taken down the outside xmas lites yet. Too cold & blustery to do that today.
I did however do some clean up at the work bench. Re-organized the Redwood block tool holder, made a couple of balsa wood trays to keep the small hand tools more organized (tweezers & exacto knives are not conducive to being stored in a vertical position,) and a couple of holders for the micro file set.
IMG_20210110_090007526.jpg

The boneless donut wasn't bad (thanks Hughie) but I'm needing something a little more substantial, going for some lunch.
BE ALERT---HAVE FUN---DON'T TAKE CRAP OFF OF ANYBODY!

Afternoon All,

Today I started out with some chores then hooked up the programming track to a PTB-100. I can't take credit for the wiring of it. My buddy Jon put everything together around 4-5 years ago at his house and I hooked it up to my old layout. I was careful removing it so it could be used again. I also painted the rest of the rails on the peninsula. Tomorrow I'm going to start building all the kits that I received over the last several days. The Oncologist postponed the office visit tomorrow for Mom until the following Monday so that she would have the biopsy results.

TomO- Nice railway scene.

Garry- My Dad drank Schlitz when I was a kid.

Sherrel- Nice beat up looking gondola.

Tom- Excellent weathering.

Joe- Nice layout pic.

Justin- Nice layout photos.

Troy- Making good progress.

Willie- Nice layout scenes. Stay warm and dry.

Terry- It seems like computers are always feast or famine.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi gang, it's 46*F and sunny with a slight NW breeze here in central MD. While Willie was getting snow, MOH and I took a leisurely stroll thru the neighborhood since it was so pleasant - a bit of weather-related role-reversal, eh? ;)

Since I'm trying to control my A1C level (pre-diabetic), I think I'll pass on Hughie's boneless doughnuts...

Guy - Hope your Tuesday court appearance results in a favorable verdict.

Lee, bummer about your Covid affliction - hope you'll make a complete recovery soon!

Tom-O - In spite of the temporary inconvenience and isolation, I think you're definitely doing the right thing as far as your Covid situation. BTW -did you get a chance to try out that Krylon "Khaki" paint on a test piece yet?

I was feeling somewhat depressed yesterday, so I thought maybe I'd try some "shopping therapy" and acquire something to fill in one of the remaining holes in my loco roster. My aim is to get at least one example of every type of loco I typically saw during my days of chasing trains on the B&O as a teenager, and one type that kept appearing was the F7 Phase-III with a winterization hatch. Since they were the "youngest" of the B&O's F-units, they were among the last to be retired.

A spotting feature on these cab units was the twin rows of vertical-slit louvers along the side. Most F7 models available nowadays are the Phase I or Phase II with the horizontal slit louvers, and I've made several futile attempts to modify those. The problem is that while the horizontal slits protrude from the surface and need to be shaved-off, the vertical slits are concave, i.e., sunk-in. I'm sure there are people who have the skill to replicate those from scratch, but I'm NOT one of them! I've made occasional visits to eBay to find another Stewart C&O Phase-III unit like the one I already have, but they've become rare as hen's teeth.

Then I had a light-bulb moment: There are probably plenty of F9 models available, which look identical except for the additional louver in front of the forward porthole. That can easily be filled in with Squadron Putty and sanded smooth, reverting the shell back to a Phase III F7. So I checked eBay, and - not only were there lots of F9A models, there was actually an undecorated Stewart model available at a fraction of cost of the Intermountain, Bowser, and Genesis ones. All my existing F-units are Stewarts, so this will fit in perfectly!

Stewart_F9A_undec_FromEbay.jpg

I hopped over to the B&O section of the rr-fallenflags.org website, and found a unit whose photo was captured in 1974 - two years past the end of my era, so I can have this one appear in a layout photo staged for 1972: http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo4598goa.jpg

I already have a Cal-Scale winterization hatch to put on it, and plenty of paint and decals, so I can fix it up in short order once I receive it.

In the meantime I'm hoping the elusive snow blower I ordered will arrive on Monday...

Hi gang, it's 46*F and sunny with a slight NW breeze here in central MD. While Willie was getting snow, MOH and I took a leisurely stroll thru the neighborhood since it was so pleasant - a bit of weather-related role-reversal, eh? ;)

Since I'm trying to control my A1C level (pre-diabetic), I think I'll pass on Hughie's boneless doughnuts...

Lee, bummer about your Covid affliction - hope you'll make a complete recovery soon!

Tom-O - In spite of the temporary inconvenience and isolation, I think you're definitely doing the right thing as far as your Covid situation. BTW -did you get a chance to try out that Krylon "Khaki" paint on a test piece yet?

I was feeling somewhat depressed yesterday, so I thought maybe I'd try some "shopping therapy" and acquire something to fill in one of the remaining holes in my loco roster. My aim is to get at least one example of every type of loco I typically saw during my days of chasing trains on the B&O as a teenager, and one type that kept appearing was the F7 Phase-III with a winterization hatch. Since they were the "youngest" of the B&O's F-units, they were among the last to be retired.

A spotting feature on these cab units was the twin rows of vertical-slit louvers along the side. Most F7 models available nowadays are the Phase I or Phase II with the horizontal slit louvers, and I've made several futile attempts to modify those. The problem is that while the horizontal slits protrude from the surface and need to be shaved-off, the vertical slits are concave, i.e., sunk-in. I'm sure there are people who have the skill to replicate those from scratch, but I'm NOT one of them! I've made occasional visits to eBay to find another Stewart C&O Phase-III unit like the one I already have, but they've become rare as hen's teeth.

Then I had a light-bulb moment: There are probably plenty of F9 models available, which look identical except for the additional louver in front of the forward porthole. That can easily be filled in with Squadron Putty and sanded smooth, reverting the shell back to a Phase III F7. So I checked eBay, and - not only were there lots of F9A models, there was actually an undecorated Stewart model available at a fraction of cost of the Intermountain, Bowser, and Genesis ones. All my existing F-units are Stewarts, so this will fit in perfectly!

View attachment 123065

I hopped over to the B&O section of the rr-fallenflags.org website, and found a unit whose photo was captured in 1974 - two years past the end of my era, so I can have this one appear in a layout photo staged for 1972: http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo4598goa.jpg

I already have a Cal-Scale winterization hatch to put on it, and plenty of paint and decals, so I can fix it up in short order once I receive it.

In the meantime I'm hoping the elusive snow blower I ordered will arrive on Monday...

Ken, I did try the khaki camo from Krylon this morning. I was shocked the smell overwhelmed the blower in the paint booth. It looks better then the formula I came up with and 4 hours later looks even better and more towards the color I want. Thanks for the suggestion. The silos on the left. TomO

6691D565-CAB9-4B41-A87B-9642A26245AE.jpeg

BADDCC37-65C1-498C-9EBD-B363400DCD68.jpeg

Snowed here (about 1000 ft abv SL) this (Sunday) morning an continued up til about 2 pm. Melted as fast as it came down , Snowed pretty good around 11-12 , . After snowing about half a day its pretty much slush ,maybe 1 - 1.5 " on the hood of the vehicles. Accumulation is almost negligible , the ground was just to warm , Still 90% chance tonight but radar shows it has moved east so thats probably it ...so ..back to the 60's.

View attachment 123065

Ken - So 2007 I was diagnosed diabetic, later pre-diabetic. I was put on Metformin, 1000MG twice a day. Then in November of 2019 I saw a video by Dr. Jason Fung, in December I read his book. The main premise is that drugs like Metformin and others as well as insulin shots treat the results of diabetes but not the disease itself. It made sense to me. He prescribes to a low carb diet, and in some cases fasting. January 2020 I went low carb. September 2020 I was taken off Metformin. I had put diabetes in remission. Last 2 A1C's 5.1 and 5.3. The proof should come in March, 6 months with no drugs. Yes I still which the carbs, and the kind and source of the carbs. No potato, rice, pasta and no white bread. If your interested, you can search the web for Dr. Jason Fung, see what you think. The Hobo

Good evening. As Sundays go, today was very tranquil, until this evening, when the Fire Department was called to the house across the street. Apparently, they developer a natural gas leak, and had to evacuate. Gas company arrived and fixed the problem all is back to normal.

Really didn't spend any time on the model railroad today...a nap on the recliner was a better choice.

Wife cut my hair today...she did Ok. At least I didn't have to worry about Covid, and the price was right ;)

Just thinking about my snow blower...brought it to the garage, when I put the mower away...made sure the tires were inflated, but never started it...this week presents a good opportunity, with tranquil days with temperatures in the mid to upper 40s. Gas it up and crank it over, and wax the blades and path. (Helps with wet snow). Don't need any surprises when that Nor'easter suddenly pays us a visit.

Tom O: Grain silos look good in that color.

Alan: Nice - looks good.

Terry: Nice scene. Like that layout.

Baldwin RT-624 outshopped at Baldwin - Eddystone, PA.jpg

Lima - Hamilton 2500 HP Center cab for the PRR...the last diesel built by Lima...Building is already lettered to reflect the merger with Baldwin.

RDG EMU #9136 at West Trnto in 1979 - Gerry Meyle.jpg

RDG EMU # 9136, lays over in West Trenton, NJ in this Gerry Meyle photo. Water tower in the background is the Ewing Fisher Body plant. Based on the GE MUs on the adjacent track, the photo dates to 1975 -1976 or later.

Here in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, we are in the middle of an emergency 3 day lockdown. A returning woman citizen arrived back into the country from the UK on the 26th December and tested negative. Travelled by domestic airline up to Brisbane, then travelled to just up past where I live by about an hours drive. A further test has shown positive to the new, more infectious UK strain. She is in strict Quarantine now but the search is on for up to 800 people she had possible contact with, in the intermediate period, including those on that domestic flight. A hefty fine is in place if caught outside without a good reason, even in a car, and with a mask on. If the search turns up too many positive contacts, the Lockdown will be extended for another month. Thank goodness my state's govt has been on the ball.
Follow up: No new cases have been detected after lots of testing, so the lock down has been lifted 25 minutes ago , but the wearing of masks outdoors and in shops etc will continue for 10 days.

Are there rules here against telling people about the stuff they have for sale? I'm in the process of de-constructing my HO layout and considering getting into On30. I will have almost everything I have for sale. I guess if it's against the rules and you might be interested PM me and I will send you information on what I have for sale.

Got that out of the way!

Flo, pretty hungry this morning, couple eggs over easy, lots of bacon and a couple link sausages! Coffee, of course and a glass of O.J. Lets buy a round of Coffee for everyone here in the Dinner!

Are there rules here against telling people about the stuff they have for sale? I'm in the process of de-constructing my HO layout and considering getting into On30. I will have almost everything I have for sale. I guess if it's against the rules and you might be interested PM me and I will send you information on what I have for sale.
No rules against that. There's a whole section somewhere on the forum called "The Interchange Track" that is set up for that. Many forum members also inform one another here in the Coffee Shop with a link to the thread over there since many don't just peruse that section.

Good morning y'all.

It is presently dark and cold outside. I am refusing to leave my house until the temperature is above my age.

Flo - Coffee please. And leave the pot. How about slinging a few eggs, some bacon, and a muffin this way? Banna nut if you have one, thanks.

I see some nice photos this morning. Willie's post made me think that BBQ needs to be on the menu soon. Espeefan the fab shop looks amazing. Congratualtions to any and all that have made even the most minor progress on their layouts. Forward progress is progress, no matter how small.

Y'all stay safe and prayers lifted for those that have had covid touch theirs lives.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Oooooo.....I see donuts.

Morning all,

I have time for a coffee to go this morning.

Spent the weekend playing "Whack-a-Mole" at my son's 65 years old house. I know why I like sheet rock screws!!!!!! Find a nail slightly protruding so you hit it to push it back into the stud and 3 more pop out. I hate old houses...lol. I know now why "This Old House" guts the building. Finally got those dealt with and mudded over the nail heads. I know overall it will look a lot nicer once the walls are painted. Also got the ceiling in the closets, bedrooms, bath and hallway painted. Once I get the cracks, nail heads, etc. sanded, I can move onto the walls. My daughter who loves home fixup is helping me paint, so I can get to her bathroom...It never ends.

Good Morning All. Let's call it cloudy and 32° this morning, although the eastern horizon might be clearing up...too soon to tell. Snow yesterday was a big nothing. Flurries for about 30 minutes that stuck for about 30 minutes more before disappearing. OK, that's all I need for this season. Less than .05" fell; there was a lot more south of here in Dallas although it didn't accumulate there either.
Wife returns today from a two day trip to Dallas to visit grandkids and let my SIL install Win10. I had already downloaded it on to her laptop but he knew a work around to activate it without paying Microsoft any activation fee. Has to do with a loophole that they left in the free activation program from 2018 that they are ignoring. This morning will be spent tidying things up.

A pile of sausage patties and a pair of over easy eggs this morning Flo. Skip the English Muffin today but bring a tall glass of OJ.

Thanks for all of those likes and comments for yesterday's layout tour post; Justin, Karl, Jerome, Guy, Ken, Tom O, Sherrel, Troy, Phil, Rick, Garry, Tom, Hughie, Lee, Jerry, Curt, Chad, Jesse.

Continuing on with the year 2020 in review, we're now into June where my next project was the upper level north wall construction. This one was my most ambitious project of the year and it took some time. I posted the before picture on Friday in post #227.
One item in particular was finishing up this very old kit.
06-17-20 003.JPG

06-19-20 004.JPG

While I kept the ladies dress shop, the other half is now a lounge.
It now anchors one end of the block.
06-20-20 005.JPG

Many of the structures used here were already built while I was constructing benchwork over the years.
I did not do much on the current layout cleanup project as Sundays are always short modeling days for me. I did vacuum the whole north wall part of the layout successfully. That happens to be the part that I just built in June, so structure overhaul is going to be minimal.

Tom O - That Khaki colored paint does look more realistic for the concrete silos. I am still overwhelmed by the size of your complex.
Hughie - I am attempting to go low carb as well. My weakness is pasta though. I am down to an A1C level of 5.8 now. Just have a little more adjustment to go. The Metformin just makes a lazy diet easy. My doc says 50g of carbs per meal. OK because the beer that I drink is only 11g of carbs each, and I don't consume any for breakfast or most lunches!

I think that it is great to see the returning visitors like Lee and Jesse back in the Coffee Shop. Sometimes life throws us a few curve balls. Welcome back gentlemen. Just wish that the black hole called Lansing MI would release John (Beady) and Bruce (new guy). And let's not forget Burlington Bob who disappeared in to Tennessee!
I think that today starts another week, they're all Saturdays to me. Everybody have a great day, stay safe and be a nice human.

I don't need a mandate to wear a mask. That's good news about no new cases.
I can't recall it having been before in Queensland, but because of that new UK strain showing a very high infection rate compared to the "usual" one, it was made a condition of lifting the lockdown. The Virus keeps on mutating, after all, it doesn't want to die out either. It's less than 1 year old, only an infant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back