Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essington Team Track.jpg

This is the company service storage boxcar, stranded on a disconnected former team track. Even with an india ink wash, the car can use some more fading, as well as some additional vegetation. The location once had an old box car on timber as the freight house, but space considerations ruled that out, so this is the alternative reality. Primary use is storage of material used by the Section Gang.

Willie, that laser cut kit has all sorts of potential. Hughie, nice job so far. Tom, just enough spilled grain along the top for a good effect.

Sherrel: Cool photo. That Frisco gondola, is all twisted, warped and bent...sort of like us once we grow old...:rolleyes:

Lee: Sorry to learn of your Covid experience, and pneumonia..Hope y'all are finally on the mend.

Phil: Stay warm tonight. You too, Curt...Y'all all get spoiled by the mild climate. Was a bit chilly here today, never got above 37°, even with a lot of sunlight.

I have gotten over the positive Covid test. I spoke to my doctor late yesterday and she said I should be thankful I had to take the test to fly back to Hawaii. I am one of those who have the virus with no symptoms and I am the worse kind. Without the test I could out there infecting hundreds. She dropped my 2 Lyme medicines but added 2 to hopefully fight the virus and it is a UW Health experiment as there is nothing that works yet that I qualify for. Since I am not the president or his attorney she laughed I can’t get the drugs they are on. The Tuesday test is cancelled until a later time to see if the drugs help.

I don't know or remember the details, but I think the've done studies that show that transmission Covid have come from asymptomatic positive carriers is rare.

There are a ton of other links talking about this available in your favorite search engine.

Time to post before bed. Worked the tunnel section this evening. It was a time eater! I cant believe how long it took to work that section. Now hopefully come tomorrow I'll be able to either work the mine section or the end. I'll probably work the end section as it's just empty space. I guess I'll get it figured out tomorrow. Went to my lhs today to pickup some stuff. Preparing for turnout replacement coming up here sooner or later. With that being said I picked up two more turnouts, another thing of plaster cloth, and some MU hoses for my GP35. Ran two trains today at the same time. Had one running loops on the main while another was working the loadout. That's all I have for now. I'll leave yall some layout shots. Everyone have a good night and I'll stop in tomorrow when I get a chance.
20210109_185232.jpg

GP7 5707 passing by GP35 3535. 3535 is spotting empties at the loadout. 5707 is hauling loads down the main.
20210110_020910.jpg

GP35 3535 exiting out of the tunnel with loaded hoppers.

Good morning....Coffee and a donut to start Flo, I'm still looking at the menu. Thanks for all likes on the grain car. The method doesn't work well on the CSX car due to the colors blending. The gray and dark colors work well though.
Lee- Sorry to hear about you illness with covid, get well soon.

It's warm in the house. 37* with a wind chill of 33 outside. NO plans to go anywhere. Plenty of food inthe pantry and freezer/fridge. Plenty of tea/coffee and hot cocoa mix with marshmallows .The Sunday paper can stay on the lawn till later-Much later .
Hope all stay warm and well.
Phil

Good morning y'all. The weather here is currently 27 degrees. High is only 49 today. It appears winter is upon us here in the south.

Flo - coffee please, and a slab of bacon while I contemplate breakfast.

Willie - Congrats on successfully completing another orbit around the sun. My apologies for being so late to comment.

I see I have missed out on several good picture posts that run the spectrum. Prototypes pics are nice, keep the layout pics coming, and keep the winter mess in your own home states please. The current atmosphere in society is enough for us here in the south, we don't need snowmageddon on top of a pandemic. There already isn't enough supplies to go around, the last thing we need is people hoarding things due to a prediction of snowfall.

It's going to be tough to stay up to date on everything, now that my fuaxcation is over and I'm back to wor...that thing that shall not be named, but I will try to keep up and update on any progress made on my railroad.

Y'all have a good one. Time to get ready for church, followed by a BBQ. Well, not really a BBQ, I'll be outside grilling burgers and dogs while everyone else is inside until its time to light the firepit, but at least there will be flame kissed food and a fire today. Take that old man winter. You won't win that easily.

I don't know or remember the details, but I think the've done studies that show that transmission Covid have come from asymptomatic positive carriers is rare.

There are a ton of other links talking about this available in your favorite search engine.
Here in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, we are in the middle of an emergency 3 day lockdown. A returning woman citizen arrived back into the country from the UK on the 26th December and tested negative. Travelled by domestic airline up to Brisbane, then travelled to just up past where I live by about an hours drive. A further test has shown positive to the new, more infectious UK strain. She is in strict Quarantine now but the search is on for up to 800 people she had possible contact with, in the intermediate period, including those on that domestic flight. A hefty fine is in place if caught outside without a good reason, even in a car, and with a mask on. If the search turns up too many positive contacts, the Lockdown will be extended for another month. Thank goodness my state's govt has been on the ball.

Greetings from the not quite frozen tundra of NE Indiana. A balmy 20° F this morning with overcast skies, and frigid squirrels.

Made cinnamon rolls this morning, help yourself! Otherwise coffee, and keep it coming.

Made minor progress on the wording of words yesterday. Need to remedy that today with a blitz.

But, I did get some plaster cloth down on the layout. Here is the most exciting pic you'll see in this thread today:

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.15.00 AM.png

If I feel like it, I'll work on getting the new stuff sanded and spackled to level it out. Hope to put down cork roadbed later this week.

Good Morning All. Looks like cloudy and 35° here, the radar shows light snow all over the place, but not immediately here. Raining 35 miles south of us. If we actually get some snow, it won't be more than a dusting.

Chilly outside this morning Flo. Maybe a chicken fried steak with country gravy, biscuits and hash-browns would warm me up a bit.

Thanks for the many likes and comments yesterday regarding the layout progress; Guy, Phil, Sherrel, Luke, Justin, Jerome, Ken, Garry, Jerry, Rick, Tom, Hughie, Karl, James, Curt, Gary.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did just a little bit more with the layout cleanup. Three more structures were removed for cleaning.
Betty's Diner, a Bar Mills laser cut wood kit.
IMG_5415.JPG

Next to that is Wagner & Sons, a DPM structure that serves as a beer distributor in this town of Rycon Township.
IMG_5416.JPG

The next business over is a SmallTown kit that I am using as a motorcycle repair place.
IMG_5417.JPG

Meanwhile I cleaned all of the track in the other 20' x 2' leg of the layout. Next is looking for stray parts and vacuuming.

Troy - You and your wife get well soon.
Lee - Wow! I was wondering where you had disappeared off to. Prayers to your health and get well soon.
Hughie - I have looked at Pinkham's Pallet before and I have contemplated purchasing it. Bar Mills kits can get tricky, and I imagine that the N scale ones can be downright difficult.
Justin - Nice camera shots.
Jesse - Thanks.

Not sure why it isn't raining or snowing here yet. I'm just above the "D" in DTO.
1610284694042.png

Everybody have a great day, stay safe.

Good morning. It's clear and cold-ish, probably around freezing. The battery in my outdoor thermometer died last night, so other than my neighbor's Weather Rock, I don't have any neighborhood info.

Now, on to the "fun" I had yesterday. I responded to a Book of Feces ad for an older Apple laptop, and picked up an advertised 10 year old model on the cheap. It is in very good shape, but the owner had managed to wipe everything off the hard drive while removing his kid's info from it prior to selling it. After I got home, I tried re-installing the latest operating system it would run, which is by now almost 4 years old. It wouldn't load, because the drive was improperly formatted. So, I formatted the drive for the replacement system, but couldn't download that because the computer kept trying to load a later system. I finally was able to download the system by removing the drive from the laptop, and manually placing it on the drive, then opening it. This entire excruciating process took hours and hours. FINALLY, I was able to boot the laptop by cloning another similar computer's system onto the hard drive. I knew it wouldn't run on the older laptop, but thought I could access the internet to install the correct system on it.
Imagine my surprise when it worked. When I was able to check the computer's info, it was a year newer than advertised, which meant I can install the newer system on the computer that it was trying to install in the first place. I then attempted to install that system, but-- the drive wa improperly formatted for that. So, I had to once again remove the hard drive from that laptop, connect it to the other computer, reformat it to the newer type formatting, then re-load the system onto it.
I finished up at 12:30 this morning.
But, in the end, it's a very clean example, and worth the actual cash I spent getting my hands on it.
The amount of time spent, maybe not so much...

TERRY - I stand in awe of your presence!!!

FLO - going to get my order in before Willie consumes everything in sight.?
I'll have a ditto on his order, please?

40 degrees as we speak, going up to 73 again today - and of course the sky is devoid of any moisture!

TROY - Looks like a nice ski slope that you have going - I like it!

RAY - What will they do with those 800 folks if they find them - Is a firing squad in order?

Good morning from Wisconsin. Cool at 25f degrees which is also the day’s high with wind chill of 17. Definitely a stay in day which by the County health department I am ordered to do anyway.

Great pictures both real and prototype. Thanks for he comments on yesterday’s picture from me.

I will try to watch some football today, some slot car layout time and the Grain Terminal build. Or not! I don’t have much motivation since the latest Covid positive result. Depending on what you or I read or what doctor you or I listen to doesn’t matter. I don’t want to pass this on accidently to anybody. My doctor says I might pass it on. Not meaning to ignore any of the advice or studies about being asymptomatic, I don’t want to take the chance. That to me would be so much worse.

A256AC15-DB7B-413F-AE7F-0A7AA80A815E.jpeg

Chadbag

I understand from reading the article you posted the link to. I have been, believe me looking through the internet to figure things out. I feel as healthy as I have in the last 20 years. I have since 2010 been putting doctors kids through college. Thyroid cancer surgery, stroke, gall badder surgery, throat cancer surgery, Lyme diease and now this. I have lost 31 pounds in the last 4 months. I have a PT program and a trainer to regain strength after the Lymes was figured out.

Truly, I don’t even think I have Covid or am even asymptomatic. The doctor on Friday pulled my Lyme medicines and wants the drugs to clear the system before taking another Covid test. The possibilty of Lymes coming back per my doctor is very real but to me is better to find out about the Covid.

Thank you for posting the article link.
TomO

Hello, everyone. ...

That is correct, Garry; trespassing! The headlines would read 'Old man with a camera charged - Graffito artists and train derailing protesters get away!'
It was a $600.00 voluntary payment ticket that I chose to plead not guilty to. Tax collection court is on Tuesday. I intend to either beat it, or let the public pay it off. I'll sit in a cell and watch TV until it's paid. Then I'll throw it out on social media when I get out.

Guy ..... That's terrible. Maybe you could ask the judge to reduce the fine to something affordable.

Willie .... The laser-cut kit looks like a good one. ..... Nice looking Diner and Beer Distributor. I used to like Schlitz, but it has been a very, very long time since I had one.

Sherrel .... That gondola is realistically weathered.

Hughie .... Nice work so far with the building.

Boris .... Good idea to have a used boxcar being used for a storage building.

Tom O ..... I like the CN loco and the industry being served. .... Sorry to hear about the positive test, but you do have the right attitude. I hope it is a false positive. Otherwise, I hope you get no symptoms, and can enjoy your time at home.

Everybody ..... Have a nice day

That is correct, Garry; trespassing! The headlines would read 'Old man with a camera charged - Graffito artists and train derailing protesters get away!'
It was a $600.00 voluntary payment ticket that I chose to plead not guilty to. Tax collection court is on Tuesday. I intend to either beat it, or let the public pay it off. I'll sit in a cell and watch TV until it's paid. Then I'll throw it out on social media when I get out.

We'll send you a cake with a saw blade inside.

Greg

Good Morning all. Well their are predicting snow pretty close to H-Town but I don't think we'll see any here. Maybe a flake or two hidden all the rain drops.
Thank you for the likes on the building, but I must admit it is quite tedious. I may have bitten off more than I can glue.
I saw these on sale, and knowing everyone here like donuts, I brought some. Enjoy.
STAY SAFE
LATER
donuts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back