Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is probably a relative definition. In a "normal" winter 30 degree lows and 50 for a high. In 1989 we had an eleven day stretch where the high never reached 32. It was pure chaos. This part of the country isn't prepared for that kind of weather. I worked in a chemical plant at the time. Every water line froze, product lines froze and pipe bursts were everywhere. Homes didn't fare much better. I had have 2 pipes split. You don't want to see them drive on our rare snowfalls.
I almost have to laugh at your post here as we have close to the same situations here. We can get a bit colder than H-town, but on average there are only three or four days a year that our temperature doesn't rise above freezing. Except the winter of '89 when it remained between -1 and 15 for close to three weeks.

The following is taken from the Current Results weather and science facts website. This is for Dallas a bit further south (60 miles) than we are.
"The year's coldest days for Dallas usually occur at the end of December and beginning of January when the daily maximum temperature averages 56 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius) and the minimum averages 37 °F (3 °C).
The year's hottest days are normally in early August. The average temperature peaks then with daily highs of 97 °F (36 °C) and nighttime lows of 78 °F (25 °C).

175 days80 °F max. or more (27 °C)
65 days40 °F min. or less (4 °C)
Dallas averages 17 days annually when the thermometer reaches into the 100s °F (over 38 °C). Typically the temperature remains entirely below freezing for 2 days a year.
The thermometer dips to freezing on an average of 23 nights a year. Most years, Dallas doesn't get as cold as 10 °F (-12 °C)."

Driving through the country during a warm up after 20° nights, one occasionally sees water running out the front doors of pier and beam homes where the occupants are out of town.
And yes! Snow or ice on the roads is a disaster. An eerie feeling is being the first one down one of our rural roads after a nighttime snowfall, where you have to judge where the road actually is from memory and the fenceposts (and sometimes cows) along the side of the road. Done that several times for my first 1.5 miles!

Well it is probably a relative definition. In a "normal" winter 30 degree lows and 50 for a high. In 1989 we had an eleven day stretch where the high never reached 32. It was pure chaos. This part of the country isn't prepared for that kind of weather. I worked in a chemical plant at the time. Every water line froze, product lines froze and pipe bursts were everywhere. Homes didn't fare much better. I had have 2 pipes split. You don't want to see them drive on our rare snowfalls.
Yeah, I can only imagine. I have enough Southern friends that I have heard the stories. I’ve driven thru ice storms in the Carolinas. Took me 3 days to get from FL to South Jersey.

Well, not too bad.

We've got the new internet up along side the old. Now to reconfigure some servers, contact the state and county, get our MX records moved and get our SSL Certificates ported to the new IP addresses. But the hard part is done.... 🤣 I way overthink stuff.

Afternoon All,

Spent the day finishing the track in the yard and soldering feeder wires to them. During mainline testing today with the 2-8-8-2 after 6 laps started derailing on the right side incline main loop around. After futzing with it I noticed that there is a small dip midway up where it's derailing. You can only see the dip in one viewing location. I'll mess with it tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon Mom has a MRI.

The milestone today is that new track laying is complete.

Joe- Nice pictures.

Justin- Nice locomotive scene.

Guy- That fish will be a tasty meal.

Dave LASM- Nice layout shot.

Willie- Nice buildings and layout shots.

20210106_141818.jpg

The building is scratch built from several years ago, but I need to rebuild the platform it sits on.
20210106_141919.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Tom O- are your trees getting the rime ice formations from the fog? Trees up here are looking pretty

Mike

Yes and they are gorgeous. Here are some pictures but the best time is in the morning, I took these a few minutes ago. Gives an idea but nowhere near how great they look. Yesterday with the morning sun really was awesome. How’s Marshfield doing, sorry but i dont miss working there but do miss Scotties Pizza at lunch time

TomO

D79E4E4A-6BD5-4A72-B4C5-4A1E68EC7889.jpeg
0E3C9CD1-AE74-4F67-8041-BC2C43854C8E.jpeg
21EDBE9A-E642-497B-B15A-F76325C3F982.jpeg

I can't imagine why anyone would leave Florida to go to Jersey!

Yo Karl! Half of Florida comes to Jersey each summer, because it's too hot for them, and they miss the Jersey atmosphere...the rest pass through to visit family in Quebec. Jersey people travel to Florida in the summer, because it's CHEAPER! and to get away from all the Bennys and Floridians hogging our beaches. After a week of Florida summer, they're ready to come home for another year. :p:D:rolleyes:

Seriously, there are many places worse than Jersey...

Went to Costco this morning, Gas was 28¢ / gallon cheaper than the local gas stations. Then we loaded up on anti-viral sprat and wipes, plus other disinfectants, batteries and groceries. Both ShopRite, yesterday and Costco, today, were well stocked with plenty of TP, Paper Towels and other stuff that's been scarce for most of last year. Even Brand name stuff is reappearing.

Downside to all of this stocking up, is I have to re-configure my basement pantry / storage area to hold everything. Couple more 1'x4' shelving units should do it. Not much going on in the train room.

Thank you for the Likes and kind words.

1-21-1972 MP54E train out of BSB  - M Bernard.jpg

MP54E train leaving Broad St. Suburban on 1/21/1972 M. Bernard Photo.
PC#202 +1 Leaving BSB 12-28-1971 - M. Bernard.jpg

Pair of MUs, probably a Paoli Local coming out of Broad (Suburban Station). M. Bernard Photo, 12/28/1971 First car is a Budd, second a St. Louis Car, First with PC logo, 2nd with Keystones.

Good evening Shop Dwellers. We've got 36*F and cloudy with an 8mph NW breeze in my Central MD backyard.

Lots of great photos being posted here, keep 'em coming!
The way this day has been going, this may have been a thought for yesterday:
I had my patience tested. I'm negative.
Funny you should mention that Mikey, I've been testing negative in that department a lot myself recently!

That snow blower I ordered on Dec 16, which was supposed to arrive yesterday, still hasn't arrived. I called HD customer service last night and they gave me the website for the trucking company that's supposed to be delivering it, along with a tracking number; when I went there, it said that the estimated delivery date was 1/6/21 - a day late. So I checked back at that website a few times. This morning it was still saying the estimated delivery date was today, but when I looked again after lunch, it was 1/7/21. Funny thing is, my machine has been sitting in their regional warehouse in Elkridge (~15 miles away) ever since Dec 23...yet they keep pushing back the date, why can't they just put it on a truck and bring it out to me? Seems like Murphy has vacated Terry's house and taken up residence here. Sure hope they haven't lost the item like the USPS has done on a few occasions...

Good evening gang!
Ken I feel your pain. That loco shipment that took 25 days to get there from Texas has a little brother. I ordered some Atlas parts from my favorite supplier. The package (via USPS) went from Kent WA to Renton WA to Seattle in 1 day, since then it left Seattle the next day and has been "in transit" at Seattle ever since , 8 days ago. Along that same line, it is now Epiphany and I am still receiving Christmas cards, daily. The USPS might get caught up by July, but don't count on it. I did get a package shipped from Oklahoma in 3 days, Fedex, no wonder! The kid orders stuff off of Amazon, gets it the next day. Maybe Amazon can take over the USPS??

Good evening gang!
Ken I feel your pain. That loco shipment that took 25 days to get there from Texas has a little brother. I ordered some Atlas parts from my favorite supplier. The package (via USPS) went from Kent WA to Renton WA to Seattle in 1 day, since then it left Seattle the next day and has been "in transit" at Seattle ever since , 8 days ago. Along that same line, it is now Epiphany and I am still receiving Christmas cards, daily. The USPS might get caught up by July, but don't count on it. I did get a package shipped from Oklahoma in 3 days, Fedex, no wonder! The kid orders stuff off of Amazon, gets it the next day. Maybe Amazon can take over the USPS??
Maybe so Karl, though I don't think the USPS has a total monopoly on screw-ups - the company I'm having trouble with is Central Transport. Just swap their name with USPS and it's the same story as I had with a ScaleSoundSystems speaker enclosure I ordered a few years ago. It got scanned-in at the Akron, OH postal distribution center, and was never seen again.

Nowadays if an online vendor gives me a choice of shippers, I never choose USPS!

Lets see, fore play with fishing rods and then a warm 2 person tent appears on the ice, the man out fishes the expert fishing wife, WHAT really happens on the ice, stays on the ice! Good looking fish, how’d it taste?
TomO - Never confuse a women who wants to go on ice and is poking you with a sharp, fiberglass stick with anything other than you'd better get you're horses-end moving. - The fish is delicious fried after bathing in her secret marinade (so secret, it's best I don't know what's in it), even if the meal is looking back at you. Personally, I just avoid those parts.

TomO - Never confuse a women who wants to go on ice and is poking you with a sharp, fiberglass stick with anything other than you'd better get you're horses-end moving. - The fish is delicious fried after bathing in her secret marinade (so secret, it's best I don't know what's in it), even if the meal is looking back at you. Personally, I just avoid those parts.

Thank you kind sir, I will remember this

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back