Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all, try to take it easy on the new place, eh?

Flo - COFFEE, please. Was up late last night making sure that no good, lousy 2020 packed all of its crap and left. Plus my neighbors had enough fireworks going off that they could have equipped a small army.

Ken - thanks for the input on the shoe shop. I was thinking kind of the same thing. Since it's a relatively small town, the flatfoots (or is it flatfeet?) are going to be walking around a lot.

merchants_row_2.jpg

As promised, here are the ideas for the second component of downtown.

The dime store on the end will be the home of a law firm. Still working on a name. Considered Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe; but not completely sold on it. Also in the running was Ditcher, Quick, & Hyde. I want comical, but not trite. The lower level will be reception and offices for the junior partners, while the middle level will be records storage and conference room. The upper level will house the senior partner's office and living quarters.

The center unit is going to be my post office. I have not yet figured out if I am going to leave the display windows or cover them up. Leaning toward keeping them because I like the look.

The lower unit on the end will house the Crossroads Diner. There will be a black 4 door Impala parked on the street in front of it. Sam and Dean are hungry fellows and the Crossroads has a pecan pie to die for.

The upper unit will house Valiant & Valiant private detective agency. It will also double as their living quarters.

Greetings and 2021 Salutations... Internet Train people....

There may be a few sectors on the globe that are stuck in The Year That Shall Never Be Mentioned at the time I write this, but that dastardly year is almost entirely gone.

Brought some cinnamon rolls to help with the hangover cures.

Didn't get to train any yesterday. But I did spend a couple of hours reading a book for fun. Another Whodunnit by someone else. Had a glass of wine, then headed to bed about 11p. Figured that nasty year could see itself out the door.

Hoping today I can get some words in on my latest book, then I'm going to start drilling 4" holes in ceiling tiles to get the lights mounted above my layout.

That's the plan.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Y'all have a good year!

Happy New Year from Wisconsin. Didn’t make it to midnight as I did not care about bringing in the new just very happy last year is in the rear view mirror. Looking forward to new beginnings.

May your new year contain happiness, health and sanity. May our trains run perfectly when showing off for visitors. May your operators understand the occasional hiccup. I want to hug and kiss the grandkids, the daughter, the son and a few close friends. I want by June to be able to stop social distancing, go out to eat, go to the theater, an NHL hockey playoff and Texas to visit the son. Social stability would be nice Too.

TomO

Last edited:
View attachment 122646

As promised, here are the ideas for the second component of downtown.

The dime store on the end will be the home of a law firm. Still working on a name. Considered Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe; but not completely sold on it. Also in the running was Ditcher, Quick, & Hyde. I want comical, but not trite. The lower level will be reception and offices for the junior partners, while the middle level will be records storage and conference room. The upper level will house the senior partner's office and living quarters.

The center unit is going to be my post office. I have not yet figured out if I am going to leave the display windows or cover them up. Leaning toward keeping them because I like the look.

The lower unit on the end will house the Crossroads Diner. There will be a black 4 door Impala parked on the street in front of it. Sam and Dean are hungry fellows and the Crossroads has a pecan pie to die for.

The upper unit will house Valiant & Valiant private detective agency. It will also double as their living quarters.
62C3FEA4-D547-4778-A55B-7F13681968C1.jpeg

AH , love the smell of cordite and hot coffee in the morning. Any bagels left ?
Had a funny song pop into my mind- can't get rid of it-
'WHEN WE SIT AT THE TABLE TO FORM A FAMILY GROUP, MY DEAR OLD POPPAS WHISKERS ARE DRAINING IN THE SOUP
OH THERE ALWAYS IN THE WAY-THE COW EATS THEM FOR HAY,THEY HIDE THE DIRT FROM FATHERS SHIRT THERE ALWAYS IN THE WAY.
WHEN WE ARE IN AN AIRPLANE SO FAR UP OFF THE GROUND, MY DEAR OLD POPPAS WHISKERS ARE DRAGGING ON THE GROUND
OH THEY'RE ALWAYS IN THE WAY THE COW EATS THEM FOR HAY, MY MOTHER EATS THEM IN HER SLEEP SHE THINKS SHE'S EATING SHREDDED WHEAT, THERE ALWAYS IN THE WAY..
Don't know why this popped into my head. No offense intended WILLIE.
Hope all are well.
Phil

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 35° to get the new year started. That's been the same temperature for the last 36 hours and isn't likely to change for another four more. But the rain finally stopped after it changed into a thunderstorm around 8:30 last night. Really put a damper on the fireworks around here. I imagine that the storm has moved north to Doo-Dah and is pelting Patrick with snow and ice. Clouds here won't go away until tomorrow, but it will warm up slightly today. I ended up with 2.45" in the rain gauge. That ends the concerns around here about grassfires. Since the county didn't mow the road easements since July, there has been 2'-4' tall dry dead grass lining the rural roads out here. Now we just need an ice storm or snow pack to flatten it all out so the cycle can begin anew in the spring.
The prime rib roast is on the table almost completely thawed, and almost ready for the oven...later though. I use the traditional cooking method. I tried the "closed oven" method once a few years ago and wasn't satisfied. My SIL has also not had good luck with that method either.

New Years Day Flo. Time for Eggs Benedict and a glass of champagne. Pour yourself one on my tab.

Thanks for all of the likes on the various posts yesterday everybody. Far too many to count and list this morning (over 75). Wife thinks that y'all are all crazy for liking me! Yes, she sometimes reads the happenings in the forum.

Didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday. Too many other things going on in life. I did a little work on figures but it was a bit too cool to do any real painting. About the best my two little heaters can do is keep it at 55° and I do not work on modeling with long sleeves. I did run a couple of trains just to keep the engines operating.
Here's an example of some cosmetic surgery that I often do on the figures to avoid having too many with the same look. About 15% of the recent figure stash has luggage. I don't do passenger trains so I don't need that many. Here's one modified and one original to show the difference.
IMG_5391.JPG

On the original on the left, I am actually going to paint the luggage to resemble shopping bags and use her at some shop entrance.
Here's another where I painted the same figure two different ways. Picture is not as good as in person.
IMG_5378.JPG

Young lady on the right is not fastened there and will be used elsewhere after some more minor touch up.
I posted a couple of in progress pictures of a January 2020 project, Majestic Hardware & Feed yesterday. Here are three more showing it in place on the layout with additional detailing like vehicles.
IMG_5394.JPG
IMG_5395.JPG
02-12-20 007.JPG

Moving on in the year in review, my first major February project was to upgrade and finish off a small town grain elevator and it's accompanying seed/feed store.
02-04-20 001.001.JPG

02-04-20 002.JPG

This is what I ended up with.
02-21-20 002.JPG

I intend to revisit this scene soon now that I obtained several more pickup trucks at Christmas.

Jesse - I just don't remember from your long ago posts whether you decided on HO or N scale. What did you decide?
Guy - I don't have any problem with the fishing stories and pictures. This is a Coffee Shop after all. I'm like you though, I prefer beef, pork and chicken over fish but still eat seafood at least once a week. I do prefer it filleted though, not chopped in half!;) My favorite edible preparation story goes back a way. While visiting my parents home for Christmas in 1984, my Dad asked my then six year old daughter what she had been up to. She responded in that six year old way, and said the "I helped daddy take chickens apart".
Dave - Best wishes and prayers for your SIL and husband.
Garry - Yes, Jeffery was quite a character. We had been discussing plans to visit him while my wife and I were driving to our vacation retreat in Gulf Shores AL. He lived about 30 miles west of IH49 which is the road we always use. His E-Mail correspondence stopped in early November that year and I never got the exact address. Sadly it was because his health had taken a turn for the worse and he passed away about a month later. While his location was listed as "Sundown LA", it was actually Leesville LA, just west of Alexandria. He had also just started his own railroad forum of which I was a member, Railroads of the World.
I have a brother whose birthday is New Years Eve also. The story is that Dad coaxed the doctor with a bottle of bourbon to ensure that he was born before midnight so he could get the tax deduction for the whole year. He was delivered at 11:45 pm. He could have been the first baby of the new year instead.
Mikey - I made the drink cups in the pizzeria scene from short lengths of styrene rod from Evergreen. I think that I used .020".
Hughie - Pizza boxes and contents are flat. They look great from 3' away though. I just couldn't take the time needed to actually make them three dimensional.
I am not too sure that I could add a decoder to an N scale engine.
Ken - You're so right about buying a replacement for something that you misplaced to begin with. Always causes the original to reappear.

Once again, Happy New Year to all of my friends here on the forum.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome long holiday weekend.

This is the "new" place? Do we still have to wear the mask?
Looks a bit like DDSS to me ... or is it SSDD?

39 degrees looking for 66 later on with cloudless, sunny skies.
Nine PM is my New Year - that's when the TS Ball drops .. so be it.
Another day older and deeper in debt!
Coffee, FLO, please!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back