Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, 12 and partly cloudy. Lots of ice built up on parking lots and along streets.

Supposed to hit 37 later today, however!

Just be at work today, I have been running soil tests in the lab for State Trunk Highway 52 near rosemount. They need to rebuild a bunch of the road and need to know the characteristics and properties of the existing grade.

Curt - the church looks really nice

Hughie - pleasant scene yesterday

Garry - 1900's scenes look fantastic

TomO - you have a great attitude

Willie - GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! isn't that something out of the 60's?

Todays picture:

_MG_5616.jpg

I call this Grizzley Flats on the layout, it was near a small station by that name. All my Woodland Scenics buildings were grouped here.

Everyone have a great day, Dave

Boris, thanks for the comment. The original December positive Covid results came from the nasal passage test with the stick up the nose. I had taken this test in both October and November prior to heading to the 50th state.

We came back to Wisconsin for what turned out to be virtual wakes and funerals for 2 employees who died of the virus. Should have stayed in Hawaii and turns out we could have. Hawaiian travel rules state you have to have a negative test prior to going there. Took the same nasal tests and came out positive this time, Terry’s was still negative. There have been maybe 8 tests since and of 3 different types. They all have been positive. Then my doctor decided it maybe my Lyme diease meds, so we stopped them. Tested positive again.

My hope and my doctor’s is that the vaccine will take care of this. I am now on Wisconsin’s priority list for 65+ with medical needs. I believe I talked Terry into going to Hawaii without me and conclude any real estate deal with my brother so everything else for building can commence. That’s her expertise since she retired in 2008 anyway and something she enjoys.

Be safe, be well, wear the mask
TomO

Last edited:
Nice truck Patrick!
Armor all should be outlawed for the glare it can cause on a sunny day. IF one digs into the owners manual, GM and other manufacturers all recommend cleaning the dash with a mild soap and lots of water, that it!! GM Field Rep once told me that Armor All and similar products are the #1 cause of dash pads failing and peeling up. It seeps through the pad and attacks the glue that holds the padding in place.

Nice truck Patrick!
Armor all should be outlawed for the glare it can cause on a sunny day. IF one digs into the owners manual, GM and other manufacturers all recommend cleaning the dash with a mild soap and lots of water, that it!! GM Field Rep once told me that Armor All and similar products are the #1 cause of dash pads failing and peeling up. It seeps through the pad and attacks the glue that holds the padding in place.

Thanks.
I agree about armor-all. Hopefully I get some time this evening to get the stuff cleaned off.

I failed to post this this morning. As you might recall, I received a late birthday gift last week. Here it is mounted on the train shed.
IMG_5547.JPG

It warns visitors of the railway crossing ahead; the somewhat overhead "stoop-under" that allows for continuous running on the upper level.
IMG_5548 (2).JPG

It's 50" above the floor.

Afternoon All,

Spent the day finishing up the small gas station and starting the first of six company houses. o_O

Thank you for all the photo likes yesterday.

Hughie- Very nice looking scene.

Garry- Thank you. Great layout photos of Southby.:)

Tom- Mother Nature in action.

IB Ken- Awesome job on the F9. The only way to tell is the different color.

Joe- Good luck with the wiring. I hope things go easier for you. Nice NJT loco.

Willie- The feed store is larger than I thought. More fine females. That's a lot of cheese.

Justin- Congrats on the layout milestone and the delivery of the loco.

Guy- Nice 1:1 photos.

Dave LASM- Thank you. Nice layout shot and Colorado I have the 2007 edition.

20210120_114330.jpg

20210120_114343.jpg

20210120_114355.jpg

20210120_114403.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Someone said UP was America's largest rr. Define largest please. BNSF has more engines and more cars

Both companies are constantly growing and changing their demographics. Union Pacific has been for many years been the larger of the 2 RR but since Warren Buffet got involved with his share holder acquisitions etc things have changed and grown for BNSF. Currently in regards to miles BNSF is the biggest with only 300 more miles than UP again this is always changing. Employee wise UP is the biggest by a thousand but again we all know this is always changing as well. Revenue wise it is so fluid that it changes month to month on quarterly reports. Both have had their fair share being on top.

Competition is good! Both are excellent RR.

Facts:

BNSF Facts
(For Full Year 2019)
Length of network: 32,500
States in network: 28
Canadian provinces: 3
Employees: ~36,000
Headquarters: Fort Worth, TX
Ports served: 40+
Intermodal facilities: 25
Average trains per day: ~1,200
Locomotives: ~8,000
Capital investment (2019): $3.6 billion
Bridges: 13,000+
Tunnels: 89
Grade crossings: 25,000+
Packages shipped on time during
typical holiday season: 70 million
Carloads shipped in 2019: 10.2 million
Distance BNSF hauls 1 ton
of freight on 1 gallon
of diesel fuel: ~500 miles

Union Pacific Railroad Fast Facts
(For Full Year 2019)

Route Miles32,200
Employees37,000
Annual Payroll$3.8 billion
Capital Spending $3.2 billion
Capital Spending 2010-2019$35 billion
Locomotives7,700
Customers10,000
Today, our fleet of 7,700 locomotives travels to 23 states over 32,200 miles of track. Union Pacific is a Fortune 150 company with 37,000 employees working, day and night, for the good of those communities, our customers, our shareholders and one another.

NS black, classy!

Karl: But when the Penn Central used Black with white lettering, it was criticized...go figure???

Joe- Good luck with the wiring. I hope things go easier for you. Nice NJT loco.

Curt: The solution occurred to me this afternoon. All I need do, is connect two wires to the buss, at the approximate location where the power district begins.

Howdy ...

I used to own BNSF stock. Warren Buffet's company, Berkshire Hathaway, bought my shares for 4 times what I paid for it. I used the proceeds to buy Canadian Pacific stock and Norfolk Southern stock. My CP is now other 4 times what I paid for it and NS is worth 3 times what I paid for it. I can't brag anymore because my wife bought Tesla stock when it was down last Spring, and he investment has done extremely well!

Karl and Joe...... I really prefer other colors on locomotives than black. The NS Heritage colors are very nice.

Patrick ..... That is a very nice truck.

Dave LASM ...... I like your village with WS buildings.

Everybody ..... Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back