Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, I haven’t ordered the culvert pipes yet but have seen them. ISE are the same guys that created and sell the Proto Throttle ( I have 3 of those) and Nathien and Michael are 2 of the great people you’d want to meet. The culverts pipes are worth it and look great. They have a series of grain bins I have been contemplating purchasing.

TomO
Tom- I was looking at the grain bins also, I put an order in on the pipe. I emailed them a couple of questions yesterday and didn't expect an answer till Monday but got back to me within a few hours. I have some gondolas that I've had for a few years that look better loaded than empty.

Good morning ......... I'll have coffee and a cheese danish please.

WIllie .... Your TOFC terminal looks great, and you are very good at painting 1/87 figures.

Joe .... I like those Pennsy passenger locomotives .

Guy .... Your soldering is very neatly done.

Everybody ...... Have a good Sunday.

MID DAY To All: I'm slow this day! Pushing 65 degrees at 9am on the way to 85 "they" say!
My left arm (Covid shot) was useless all day yesterday. I loaded up with Tylenol and Advil which helped, but last night at 2:30am I finally made another run for the pill stash. Right at this time I feel pretty good except for sleep - SOB - now I am afraid to get the second shot - especially after reading KEN"S post below. BTW, KEN, That's a nice looking machine ... When I moved from Silverton, I told people that I was going to place a snow shovel on my shoulder, head South, and when I came across a person who asked me what that was - that's where I would stop!

In other news, my wife got her second dose of the Covid vaccine yesterday and, as anticipated, woke up this morning with chills and aches. That's supposed to signal that her immune system is being activated to fight the actual virus if it ever enters her bloodstream.

I forget where I heard it, but as we get older, we still do stupid stuff. Just slower.
I can attest to this very well -- It took me several attempts before I learned that you can only divide your retirement fund so many times before it is all gone!

Not true. I can do stupid as quick as I did when I was 50!
Now that is funny! :)

During my first marriage, I became adept at looking without looking.
I have not mastered that as of this time. :p

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores. I got some things completed on the church today. I put together and put in the 5 windows and 1 door to the walls. Yesterday Kathy copied a couple of types of stained glass windows on the computer and shrunk them down to the correct size, then printed them. Although the kit didn't come with bracing I added some because I couldn't get the walls to stay straight no matter how long they were under weight. I should have the kit together Tuesday since tomorrow Mom has her first treatment.

Karl- Beautiful sunrise.

Willie- Beautiful sunrise also. Nice scenes.

IB Ken- Nice looking snow blower.

Guy- Very nice solders. Much cleaner than mine.

Joe- Nice pictures. I used suitcase connectors on the last layout which is why I'm soldering all electrical connections on this one. You hit the nail on the head about pro sports. So far college football has pretty much stayed out of it but I did notice this past season a couple of teams had BLM patches on their jersey.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
In this photo, Uncle John has managed to dump one of Conrail’s elderly U25Cs on the ground, and they have placed it on a flat car in preparation to sending it on for evalutaion and disposition (read scrapping).
I’m currently searching for some of those lumber stacks from the old Atlas lumber yard kit to use as cribbing, if anybody has any laying around. N scale, of course....

9024311B-D160-4BDB-A49E-9091AE3ACEDC.jpeg

Good afternoon late again. Been busy again. Thursday was a beautiful day so I managed to get some time flying in. We are way behind in snowfall this year and being up in the air it really shows. Friday was a PITA. I was trying to renew my passport which you should be able to do on line but the site wasn't accepting some information and spent hours on the phone trying to get the application for renewal complete.

We did manage to take three games bowling Friday night even though the other couple on the team were away to Arizona visiting relatives. Yesterday was house cleaning and grocery trips.

GeeTee - Couldn't understand much of what they were saying either.

Sherrel - No language barrier on your video.

Dave LASM - Like the photo with the NP Geep.

Tom - Sweet locomotives. Hope the run as good as they look.

Willie -
Like that laser cut feed store. Wish there were kits like that when I started my layout. Good photos. Your eyeballs must be looking at each other painting the figures.

Joe - That photo of the GG-1 is outstanding.

Greg - Very happy to hear that Riley is doing so well for such a young puppy. We have let Molly outside without a leash now that she's been around for a while. Does her business and heads right back to the front door. Answers to her name and comes when she is called. Better than Ginger who has selective hearing.

thumbnail_20210117_141937.jpg thumbnail_20210117_142027.jpg

Terry
- Guess I am old. I can remember watching George Burns on TV. The one in the cabinet the size of a freezer chest with a 10 inch screen.

Karl - Nice sunrise shot.

Haven't had time to visit the trains so here are some archive photos from the club.

thumbnail_20200711_193628.jpg

thumbnail_20200801_192629.jpg

20200711_202446.jpg

Here is the climb starting in what we call the east subdivision.
thumbnail_20200905_194231.jpg

This photo is the start of the decent above the main yard.

thumbnail_20200905_195007.jpg

thumbnail_20200801_193027.jpg

thumbnail_20200711_193849.jpg

Here's one for Garry.
thumbnail_20200822_200415.jpg

Later

Howdy ...

Dave PV ..... I like your photos of BNSF and Santa Fe Southern.

Terry .... Are you saying the CR U25C fell on the floor? I did not see any damage in your photo.

Chet .... It is always a please seeing the club layout photos. Thanks for posting the CB&Q FTAB and GP7.

Back to you with my FT ABBA :

FT ABBA.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening gang!
Been a busy 2 days, can't wait to get back to work so I can relax! (yeah, right!) 😉
Been down the basement for a good part of it. More on that later.

Chet, the puppers are cute! You and Garry both posting CB&Q f units ! Its no secret, If I wasn't modeling local stuff, the Q would be my 1st choice !

Terry, might I suggest a trip to a toaster oven for that flatcar load, along with some application of a hot poker to make some believable dents.

IBKen thanks for takin one for the team, now I can return my snowblower and the Cub to the shed, it will give me room to work on my grandsons 4 wheeler, he's 7 and he cant understand why his dad can't make it run, so over to poppys it comes!

Willie, your sunrise looks alot like mine! Excellent !

Rant time. If a loco is listed as DCC ready, and the factory board takes up too much space to allow for a sound decoder and speaker to be installed, for Pete's sake, AT LEAST HAVE THE WIRE COLORS MATCH THE DCC STANDARD! I really have better things to do than tracing out a mishmash of wire colors when adding sound to an engine! 🖕 Bachmann!
Rant over

So this weekend,
1) new frame with proper fuel tank for GP40. Transfer driveline and decoder. Waiting for filler details.
2) Grab irons for WM GP7 #22 , ooops that's a GP9 cab, cut the louvered battery doors off the original cab base and replaced the GP9 boxes. Also cut in new numberboards, add decoder and lighting. Waiting for horns and lift rings, and paint.
3) WM GP9 #33 Gutted electrical and ordered decoder.
4) WM RS3 Disassembled and stripped C&O paint , ordered detail parts.
5) B&O light Mike. Stripped Mantua motor and replaced with Canon motor.
6) WM 763 the reason for the rant! Make room in tender for sound decoder and speaker, and figure out that purple and green wires are for the headlight and blue and orange feed the motor and red is right rail, black left rail. All the wires change color when they cross the connector and go into the loco. :mad: Also mounted a rear light
20210117_203951.jpg
20210117_204025.jpg
ready to nap now!!

Good evening Shop Dwellers, it's 37*F, cloudy and calm on my central MD property.

Thanks for all the likes and/or comments on my snow blower - GT, Phil, Hughie, Sherrell, Guy, Tom-O Tom-C, Curt

Sherrell
- I got a good laugh from your "going South" joke. I understand your apprehension about getting the 2nd Covid vaccine dose, but I'd say the temporary (~24hrs) discomfort will be worth it. An occasional dose of ibuprofin every 6 hrs has been helping MOH feel close to normal.

Karl, Best of luck with the grandson's 4-wheeler. BTW I'm jealous - you got to see that sunrise while it was colorful! I was watching for it myself, but the solid wall of tall trees to the East of my backyard hid it from my view.

Finally had time to do some train carving this afternoon. As I mentioned this morning, I wanted to hollow out a slot in the "junk" F7 shell so I could practice inserting the porthole panels I'm planning to put in the F9. Here are some pics I snapped as I went thru the task; first; the shell prior to the test cut, with green lines showing the boundaries of the target area (the huge hole further forward is where I scavenged the replacement porthole panel from):
F7_JunkShellBeforeCutUp.jpg

Next, I used a Dremel with a micro-sized grinding head on it to carve away the lion's share of the unwanted styrene, then used files to smooth the edges and make the hole just barely wide enough to insert the replacement panels seamlessly:
F7_JunkShellCarvedOut.jpg

A bit of preision filing, and I got a perfect fit of each of the replacement panels. I didn't bother to pre-measure the length of this hole since it was only experimental, I just wanted to confirm that at least three of the four edges would line up seamlessly:
F7_JunkShellWIthInsertedPanel.jpg

Based on this result, I'd say I can go ahead and do this with the F9 shell tomorrow as I originally planned (My employer made MLK Day a paid holiday so I've got the day off - woohoo!) No need to implement Plan B.

Updates will follow tomorrow evening...

G'nite!

Well fellers. The weekend has come to a close for me. I was back at my scenery again tonight. Added a little bit. I may end up taking it out though. It looks awkward and it is nowhere close to what I had envisioned in my head. I made an impulse purchase today. I wouldn't say an impulse purchase but a finisher for the layout. I haggled the price for it and with there being a huge lack of them on ebay all of the sudden I just bit the bullet. It was picking up interest from others and I just knew if I didnt jump I'd regret it. So I jumped at it. Especially after I did some digging on it and what I have already on the roster. Time period being early Chessie so for the most part I need GP7s and GP9s. I already have two GP7s. One of which. My Atlas GP7 5713 was posted here in my current region. It ran the now abandoned paint creek subdivision. It recieved its Chessie paint in 73 or early 74. Right in my time period I'm trying to model. That way my lack of Chessie equipment is justified. Found a picture of it and a GP9 together working a turn and every single hopper in tow was still painted for C&O. So it's a win for me with what I have to run. My P2K GP7 5707 was posted in Hinton, WV. I would say it was a mainline hauler but I'll pull modelers license on it. And my newest locomotive ill be adding is a P2K GP9. Number 6018. It started here in West Virginia. It ended its career in Indiana. But it was C&O colors through my timeline. So old Geeps will be primary on my layout. Ofcourse I'll mix it up when I feel like it. I also purchased hood bells for them. Ofcourse axle gears are at the ready. I know how these things are. I have yet to get a P2K that didnt need them replaced. It's just a part of it. With the bells though. They just look off without the bells. That's all i have for now. I hope everyone has a good night and I'll stop by tomorrow sometime.
life-like-proto-2000-p2k-o-gp9-ho_1_fb8de06756271101fdee5a0c7b8e8f08.jpg

This is what I have coming. This isn't the actual unit I purchased. Mine is new in the box and taking screen shots is pain and requires me to modify the picture to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back