Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back...still over cast in Wisconsin.

Curt:
Yes you're correct that is a early Proto 0-8-0 Heritage locomotive that I purchased at Walthers, but it has remained in it's storage box until last week when I decided to install the Soundtraxx decoder and speaker.

I did start to do some work in on the layout and I started with some EZ Utility pole lines that became a rat's nests after my dumb self tried to lift a locomotive out between two sets of poles. I cut sections of two lines and will replace them maybe tomorrow.

I could not believe how fast Badger air brush paints dry. With minutes the paint appears to be dry to the touch. I've used them to paint wheel sets, but this was the first time I used the paint for anything else to be painted or touched up. I'll add some more colors to my "To Buy" list.

I watched the cab ride of Lee Nichols' Utah, Colorado and Western Railroad. I have the old Allen Keller VHS tape of the railroad, but the tape is dated and this cab ride was done recently on the railroad. Its a large peninsula style home layout.

Back to another cab ride....

Greg

I understand why DC modelers like to stay with DC and shy away for DCC with the complications that "could" come with using DCC.

Greg: DC complications appear during construction, creating and wiring cab control blocks. DCC, doesn't get too difficult until one begins to take advantage of all the advanced features available to them. At the current stage of my layout build, I am running DC, from a single controller in all but one module. Rather than retro wire insulated blocks, I intend to re-install my old DCC system, with a toggle switch to allow for DC operation.

I have quite a few decoder equipped and decoder/sound equipped locomotives, and a whole shoe box of silent decoders to install in others. The biggest challenge will be running the buss wire around the rest of the layout. Right now with DC, I am using the rail to transmit current to the remote ends of the layout, with the feeder wires used as jumpers to circumvent insulated joints. When I transition to DCC, this simply will not work.
(I'm actually amazed that this arrangement works as well as it does with Dc, considering the distance run from the primary connection. which is approximately 42 '.

Atlantic City 8-4-1962.jpg

Atlantic City, NJ 08/04/1962

Sherrel: In all likelihood, a GP-10, rebuilt from a EMD GP9. When I was there the power was still painted OD Green, and were a mix of Alco, GE, Baldwin and EMD diesels, plus a small fleet of 2-8-0s.
MRL had quite a fleet of GP9's at first, and still have 9 at the last count in March '018. Your red one looks like one. The curved roof was fitted to the early EMD Geeps and 6 axle SD's, from about 1959 (GP20?). The more common 3 panel angular roofs from <1963>. Here's a couple of MRL's to compare some of the common features
1580281241403.png

1580281546886.png

They came from several RRd's, Mostly NP, with BN and GN as well. Most have dynamic brakes and there are variations to the side skirt theme. Genesis have done a run of them, but only 1 or 2 in low nose. None of "mine" though, yet.

Good morning everyone. 32 and rain/snow mix out there. Forecast is for some snow later this morning, little accumulation. Guess we'll never catch up to Chet!! Get this: weekend highs in the 50s, Monday in the low 60s, then Tuesday back down to 40s - ROLLERCOASTER!!

Hi, Flo - - I'll take a garbage skillet and a cup of coffee.

IBKen, Tom, Chet, Flip, Chessie, RobotsWalkButCanTheyRun:cool:, Willie, Sherrel, Boris, Chad, Wheeler, Jim, Garry, Curt, and anyone I may have accidentally missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the camping/lake scene. I'm going to move that camp back into the trees a bit.
Garry - Glad you had a safe trip home. Got any trains you're going to ride anytime soon?

Here's a new photo of the main street through the town of Pine Valley, with Wally's Wiener Wagon over near the phone booth. Getting crowded, but that's the kind of town I grew up in - lots of people out and meeting each other.

BusyStreetInTown.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 37°, cloudy and quite windy, cold wind from the NW due to abate somewhat around noon. Not a lot of rain Monday night and yesterday morning, .4" of mostly drizzle. Enough to make things sloppy outside again.

I'll take a pair of sunny side up eggs and a double order of bacon this morning Flo. And a couple of pieces of whole wheat toast to mop things up with.

Thanks a lot for the likes and comments about the barn that I posted yesterday; Garry, Jim, Jerome, Joe, Sherrel, Greg, Justin, Curt, Phil, Tom, Ken. I really enjoyed assembling that kit.
Here's a closer view of the front.
01-29-20 005.JPG

Here is the farmhouse located just behind the barn. The house is yet another cardstock structure downloaded off the Internet. I think that it came from Clever Models, but I am not sure. Hay bales were imported from Montana (courtesy of Chet). Windmill is a Woodland Scenics model.
01-29-20 006.JPG

Meanwhile out in the train shed, for my next project, I decided to begin upgrading an area of the layout that I showed last week .Here is the left side with the structures removed prior to painting the plywood and the track. This area is just out of the staging yard and is part of the interchange between SLSF (Frisco) and ATSF (Santa Fe). The foreground tracks service that small grain elevator and feed mill, all Frisco tracks. The one in the background is the Santa Fe main. At least part of the area between the two will be a materials storage area for ties, rail, ballast piles etc.
01-29-20 001.001.JPG

And the right side with the highway overpass removed.
01-29-20 002.001.JPG

I did get all of the paint applied.
01-29-20 003.001.JPG

Today I will start adding ballast.

Johnny - I agree on moving the tent scene back into the woods a bit, although from the picture it looks OK.
Joe - We speak two languages here in Texas, English and Mexican Spanish; which is not the same as Cuban or Puerto Rican Spanish. There's a definite drawl to the English from many who have lived here all of their lives, especially from those with rural backgrounds. I take delight in commenting to Mexicans in Spanish when they don't think that I understand what they are saying.
Sherrel - Thanks. After painting the barn red, I stippled it with white paint to better resemble those around here.
Greg -
DC or DCC its still model railroading and the operating system is a personal preference.
Well put.
Do the locomotives using the spur bother the livestock?
No they are all deaf!:cool:
The water scene and people enjoying the summer reminds me of a park near my cabin.
I think that post was Johnny, Thanks anyway!

OK Johnny Here's one day for you. Today is National Puzzle Day. Are you finished yet?

Everyone have a great day.

TRUCKDAD- Thanks for the boxcar pics. I have a couple boxcar bodies that I have wanted to use for living quarters or a business.
The pictures answer my questions about what kind of foundations are needed (none) for the re-purposed boxcars.

OLD SOUTHERN SAYING- I love to give homemade gifts. Which one of my children would you like?
I have heard various comments on this subject from parents all over the country, not just the south.

Morning all,

Got tied up yesterday with having to get my hand on ice, but better this morning (so far). Got 2 decent nights sleep as the hand isn't waking me up, so from that aspect it was worth it. I've got to stay bandaged until I get to the Dr. in 2 weeks, but no real pain or stiffness.

We had about 1.5" of the white stuff overnight, but may be mostly gone by this evening. They're talking highs in the mid-60's on Sunday.

It is Kansas Statehood day. The state was admitted as the 34th state 159 years ago. I'm going to celebrate by re-watching the Mandalorean on Disney+.

Good morning, America! Yesterday was a hectic day, and that's putting it mildly! We keep our credit reports from the three credit bureaus frozen so that no one can easily get a loan in our name with stolen information. It is usually a pretty easy matter to get a temporary lift to satisfy a lender, but yesterday was not usual! Trans Union went real smooth, it's the only one where you get to talk to a real person, even though they're halfway around the world. The other two are all done by an automated process that is usually pretty straight foreword, but make one little mistake like hitting the wrong key and you're locked out! With no way to talk to a real person. My wife finally found a way to get through to a person by searching the internet and we got a lift for those two as well. An exercise in FRUSTRATION! After that, all went well. It appears the major hoops have been jumped through and now it just remains to dot the I's and cross the T's.

Willie, those are great pictures of your layout! I like the way tour you gave of your layout, really nice.

Johnny, I think Wally has a great future in the wiener business. You have done a great job of capturing a time from the past!

Toot, love seeing the old Geeps that have been given a new lease on life still hanging on.

Truckdad, I've got an old wood boxcar set aside for just such a purpose. I've also got an old flatcar to use for a bridge on my layout after our move.

Mikey, I like all the old southern sayings, keep them coming!

Boris, that loco looks like an Illinois Central GP10. They called them Paducah Rebuilds. The filter box on top just behind the cab is what I'm basing that on, but take it for what it's worth.

Sherrel, that's is a fantastic picture! I may be just a bit biased..........but I still think it's great in my honest opinion!

Greg, that's a nice switcher you've got there. I had an 0-8-0 Atlas N scale that I bought back in the mid-seventies. That was when most everything that was made by the way of locos would be considered junk by today's standards. And some of it was junk even by the standards of the day back then!

Greg, glad you have the derailment problems fixed.

Beady, I liked the colonoscopy cartoon! I've got one coming up in a couple of months. Should I ask my doctor the real reason for having one?:p

Hope I got everyone! I've got to go, already been on here way longer than I should have been! Take care!

Boris: I approach DCC like if I encounter a problem when changing CV values or the way a decoder responds, there's always CV8=8 and I get a fresh start. (DC'ers...changing CV8 to 8 resets the decoder to the original factory specifications.)

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back