Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Kinda hard to keep up with everyone. Managed to get my locomotive wheels cleaned. Relubricated the gears and they are ready to go for a good couple of months. I'll have to hold off on running trains until I can get a good track cleaning in. Especially my yard and loadout tracks. I imagine that's where most of the grime came from. I upkeep the mainline and siding pretty well. Usually clean them before I run but not anything else. So no train running yesterday like I had hoped. And touching base on the athearn flyer. They already have multiple orders in for those caboose. Ofcourse.....as with anything....there is a list of corrections as long as I am tall. Meanwhile I'm over here looking at a $23 C&O caboose from athearn that looks good enough to me. Shoot my caboose fleet is older blue box kits and a couple upgraded life like models. I am a C&O chessie guy. Which is an oddball in the chessie realm as most model the B&O. So they can spend $110 for a caboose. I'll spend $23 and call it good. To each their own.

Good morning. 29 degrees to start off the day and we may hit the mid 30's.

Terry - Prayers for your wife. Hoping it is nothing serious.

Alan - That is one heck of a bummer what happened to the observation car.

Justin - I usually run a Walthers track cleaning car around the layout which helps keep the track clean.

thumbnail_20191015_151503.jpg If I need to clean the wheels, I cut about a 4 inch square of paper towel and soak it with alcohol, set it on the tracks and run hold the train while passing the trucks over the paper towel. Just takes a few seconds. We do the same thing with locomotives at the club using the test track.

IBKen
- Like your photos. You've been hiding your talents.

Joe
- Exercise is important. I probably don't get enough in the winter. In the summer I keep plenty busy working in the yard, but need to get something going for the inter as soon as the leg allows.

Willie
- Like your photos as usual. Small details like this make a layout a lot more interesting.

Jim - Like the photos, especially the Alaska RR. Hope you find what caused the derailment.

Here are a few more from the photo archives.

IMAG0879.jpg

IMAG0880.jpg

Later

Talking in terms of track cleaning cars. Doesn't woodland scenics offer a cleaning system that connects to a regular car and does the same as a track cleaning car?
They sell "Dust Monkey's". They attach to most axles, I have one on all of my cabooses. They only clean dust off, not grime that's stuck. They come in packs of four. A bit more pricey is their "Tidy Track" rail cleaning system, which is pretty handy, especially for hard to reach or crowded places like staging yards. It comes with four different types of cleaning pads. Note that I broke the handle after using it for three years, primarily in staging. I still use it with the stub 6" handle.

Justin: Like Willie I use a Woodlands Scenic's "Tidy Track" cleaner for those hard to reach areas and I like to use 91% alcohol on the cleaning pads. I too use WS's "Dust Monkeys", but I perfer using a Masonite block attached to the underside of a box car for cleaning track. In fact I like so much I plan on assembling another car with the Masonite in the near future. Or, I ran the Masonite car first and then a Cenerline car with the pad soaked with 91% alcohol.

Chet: Thanks for the method you use to reach back into the layout.

The Saxeville Interchange on my layout is at approximately 54 inches and while it looks good at that level, working on it requires a step stool or ladder. I have to finish ballasting the interchange and I would to make some changes to the background building. I'm not looking forward to that project.

1577998864017.jpeg

The bacground buildings will be remodeled and better detailing done. I don't like the vines on one the side of one building. The vines need more character. Signs will be added along with more figures, drums, roof billboards and pallets. I have some paper cut background buildings that I'll add to the back of the existing buildings.-Greg

Terry: My thoughts are with you at this time.

Worked on the layout for awhile and ran an ore train, a track cleaning track and a single engine. Dropped my glasses and then stepped on the arm and broke it. Good thing for having clear Gorilla Glue at the work bench.

Trains ran good through the repaired track section.

Tomorrow semi-annual sonic tests on my vascular system. Some of my plumbing was replced with rubber tubes or veins from other body locations. Long, drawn out affair. I'll get the reults next week. Then the Mrs. wants to look for a new bedroom set to replace the one we purchased almost 45 years ago. The pieces are massive and it fit the large bedroom in our apartment. But, our current bedroom is modest in size and smaller scale furniture will work the best. One problem is getting rid of the old bedroom furniture set. It's very heavy.

Regards....

Greg

Last edited:
Terry hope things turn out well for your wife.
Well I got 2 grain cars today in the mail,one Athearn ready to roll one Atlas trainman. Have to say for the first time getting a Trainman it has nice weight and better details than the Athearn. Both were close in price the Athearn $3 more but I have to give it to Atlas for a nice car at a good price.

Good Evening All,

The Dish tech came out early in the time block, was very professional and did what I asked. He also said the old dish was warped so he replaced the entire thing and I would swear that the TV picture is sharper. After that the wife dragged me to the container store for a heavy duty slide out drawer for her baking pans. After getting home it was installed but what a PITA. You needed 3 hands and be able to float in the air. We have a highly recommended flooring guy come to the house next Tuesday for a quote.

Ken- Great pictures.

Joe- Sounds like a pretty busy time.

Terry- Prayers for your wife. Have they ruled out Sepsis?

Chet- Very nice layout shots.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Justin - At our club we go around with a bright boy on the track (that black stuff builds up). Then once a month we spray CRC 2-26 on a rag and wipe the rails after the bright boy. We also spray some on a paper towel and clean the engine wheels. Just power up the track and hold the wheels on the sprayed part then on a dry part of the towel. The black from the wheels is something. Then coat the clean wheels same as you cleaned them. You'll have hours of trouble free running.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-2...:1}+br:{crc}:br+dln:{541908}+qu:{crc+2-26}:qu

Joe - Exercise is important. I probably don't get enough in the winter. In the summer I keep plenty busy working in the yard, but need to get something going for the inter as soon as the leg allows.

Chet: Most definitely, exercise is important. Since i resumed exercising, I feel better. I don't know that your blood clot can be attributed to lack of exercise, but exercise never hurts. Most of the props used in my physical therapy, are cheap, and readily available at Walmart and Home depot.

Joe- Sounds like a pretty busy time.

Curt: Not bad for an old guy, eh? Had another busy day today, with my wife's infusion treatment, a run to Lowe's for "stuff", and taking down the outdoor Christmas decorations. Tomorrow, I have therapy, then stops at Home Depot and Wally-world. Looking forward to a "quiet" do nothing weekend. ;)

Thanks everybody for all the "likes" and supportive comments on my previous post! I didn't get home until 8pm today so I don't have time to respond to each of you individually or list names, sorry about that... But I did post the pics in my other thread [about modeling gravel driveways] for the benefit of those who don't hang out in the Coffee Shop.

Prayers continuing for Terry's wife and others who are currently in distress!:oops:

Howdy.

Terry ... Sorry to hear the news. Prayers for your wife.

Curt... Sounds like bad news regarding the roof leak. I hope the repairs go well.

Chet ... Nice layout photos.

Greg ... I like the caboose and also the layout picture with the water tank in the middle.

Everybody ... Have a nice night.

A real late good evening to you all. We had our youngest granddaughter for the last two days and just got home about less than 90 minutes ago. Met up with our boy and DIL for supper at Texas Roadhouse. My boy and I both had steaks that resulted in substantial blood loss when we cut them. MMMMM, just right! Once, when a waitress asked me how I wanted my steak, I told her to knock its horns off, wipe its butt and throw it on the plate. Notice I said ONCE. Upon hearing that, my wife let me know what she thought of it. And it wasn't much! Haven't done it since, but it's been long enough ago, that I am getting tempted to say it again!:oops::rolleyes::D

Terry- Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope that things get better real soon!

Got to get to bed pretty quick so I'll cut this short. I like the photos and all the updates in general. Will try to spend more time here tomorrow.

Stay safe!

I'm going to close out tonight with a headache and the statement that BBob made above,"I like the photos and all the updates in general."'
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of the passing of my Dakota P/U.
You know, It's the one that I have had so much trouble bringing it up to snuff and getting it to run properly? Well, today I tried to run over the car in front of me, and pretty well succeeded.
Both of our vehicles had to be towed and I am pretty sure that the insurance company will write it off. I should know more in a few days.
TERRY - Prayers for Marie.
All others who have medical issues going on are on the list as well.
Mon-youn-naa you-all ....(that's dixieland Spanish!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back