Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening,haven't been around much having problems logging in.

On a brighter note got a deal on 3 Chessie hoppers.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 126
JIM, Willie, Louis -- All great photos! Willie, Garry beat me to the punch, but I picked up on the building under construction with the steel workers on top and the covered walkway over the sidewalk. Nice touch!

33 this morning, clear and calm! Heading to 75 high today!
I see that my daughter in Jacksonville, NC is getting hit with much rain this morning and Terry mentioned that it was raining there.

DAVE - Almost forgot - I know exactly where that Colorado photo was made. I drove up and down that road many times when I lived there - when the trees turn in the fall - it is really beautiful.

LOUIS - Thanks for that info - I will see if I am smart enough to make it work? Probably not!

Sherrel: Your doing better than me at picking up detail, I completely missed the steel workers on the high iron, albiet hugging a vertical column !!
Afternoon All,

Slept like doggie doo doo last night. I spent about an hour on the build today but I couldn't get motivated.

Terry- I'm glad something good came out of your injury.

Greg- Nice looking motor car.

Chet- I believe it's Joe who you meant.

Joe- Modern electronics ruined the concept of plug and play.

Willie- Thank you. Congrats on losing weight. I can't help but think you need a Pennsy train on your layout!:)

Louis- Great night shot at Altoona.

Max- I really like the CSX trestle. Is that the PA turnpike above it?

View attachment 33690

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: I know the feeling, often have to stay up late tending the fireplace and don't get to bed till rather fairly late like at 5:00 this morning. Time to check about adding more wood.

Oh, your tack and feed store is coming along great. Like what your doing and glad to see to they supplied the correct door hangers and u shaped track for the trollies to ride in. Will the door actually slide ? If so that will allow for some interior detail to be added.

Willie
Great photos of a great layout - thanks for sharing. I would imagine the red/brown house would be a hard sale. A rail fan could pick it up cheap.

Boris
There are only a few cobblestone streets left in Pittsburgh. They look good, but I don't think anyone will miss them as they are rough and noisy.

Garry, Chet, Sherrel, David
Glad you liked the photos

Curt
The highway is Rt. 43 - south of Pittsburgh.

I applied myself to the other loco, the club member gave me to install an NCE decoder in, a new Walthers Mainline. Came apart relatively easily, apart from where the sticky tape holding the LED ditch lights in place, had decided it preferred to be stuck to the shell as well as the chassis, but I was half expecting that after having the same thing happen with the Athearn SD40's. I had already noticed that this "new in the box" model had had the couplers replaced with #158's instead of the Walthers #5 clones (actually I discovered also that the head on those is larger than a #5). It tells you on the instructions that it had a 9 pin wire harness adapter and also an 8 pin socket on the board, but that one has to be hard wired in. (there's not enough clearance under the board to be able to insert the 8 Pin adapter socket's long "legs").

Checked it out on DC first, to make sure it's working on that, lights included, then unscrew the little board on the end of the 9 pin harness, off the chassis and unplug it. Replace it with an NCE D13SRJ and put it on the programming track. Goes as far as the first step, identifying the decoder brand, but no more. Change back to DCC on the main and try Address 3.........No response. Go back to DC, and it runs under throttle control, but without lights.

Try another D13SRJ in it. Ditto repeat. Take that one out and refit the original DC board and run it again on DC. Everything working as first tested. I suspect there's a fault in the lighting board itself, or maybe in the 9 Pin adapter.

It's a club day tomorrow again, but it's also Australia Day, when we get to celebrate the arrival of the first shiploads of convicts from Britain and the establishment in Botany Bay of the first penal colony, a surely worthy day for any nation to ignore, so numbers may be few. If the errant loco's owner shows up, I'll inform him of the problems and see what he wants to do.

Good looking Tyco loco there!
I do love the Tyco version, but I love this one as well!
1548412218604.png

I can still remember drooling over this one on the shelf at MB Klein. I was always happy to take the bus back home with my new Tyco or Life-Like car. It took me almost 40 years, but I finally have the Lionel version!

Good afternoon. It has stopped raining and is 51.

Some of you may remember I spoke about raises and benefits where I work, and was rather outspoken about the purchase of a truck instead of a raise.

The end result is interesting.
I ended up getting a 75 cent an hour raise.

And the truck to use for “official business”, so I no longer have to use mine.
The raise was “meh”, the benefit is pretty nice.

A raise is a raise, it's a step in the right direction and the truck is fantastic!

I might be the coldest this morning of the people who post here in the ANPL. I have an even 30 below this morning here in Park Rapids, MN. Weather Underground shows a temperature of 27 below, Clear skys, 30.23 Barometric Pressure and Winds Zero MPH, ?out of the North? I will be going out in it to go to men's Group at Church and I no longer worry about whether my car will start, anymore! Back in the 80s and 90s I would have plugged my car in to warm the engine before trying to start. Even engine warmers are no longer needed!

If you have colder temperatures, let me know.

HPIM7947 (Small).JPG

Bob's Freight House in Butte Montana. (Only on my layout, not actually in Butte).

My wife and I are heading over to my favorite town in Minnesota tomorrow. We do a pub crawl in Duluth and stay over night in the old Fitgers Brewery with two other couples. The highlight of my visit will be going to Carr's Hobby Shop there in Duluth. Carr's is the only real hobby shop left in Minnesota that I know of. It has so much inventory that in some places it is difficult to walk down the isles! Mr. Carr has a bunch of Northern Pacific Railroadianna, like N.P.'s ubiquitous steam locomotive head lights. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis: My Costco membership dates back to when they were still called Price Club. Never had a problem with anything I bought there. What's unusual, was that we were in two different Costcos in two days. Normally, we go there once per month.

Boris, When Price Club first came to Baltimore the only location was in Glen Burnie. It was worth the trip across the Key Bridge. They were and still are not far from the Glen Bernie DMV. In 1988 they opened in White Marsh, the same year my youngest daughter was born and the store she works at now.

Speaking of my baby girl. She applied to be a Front End Supervisor. She doesn't think she will get it because another girl with more seniority and experience as a fill in supervisor also applied. I'm proud of her for trying and the experience of interviewing for a managers position will help her the next time.

On the topic of interviews, my wife finally interviewed with a rival chain of stores. They have been trying to recruit her for years and they finally wore her down. After the second phone interview my wife caught them in a lie and that's the end of that. My wife is too nice, she politely ended the call and will inform them later that she has no interest in changing jobs.

I would have done things much different, I would have called the interviewer on his lie and told him I don't do business with liars before hanging up the phone.

1548415840652.png

This would be a VERY popular feature among model railroaders!
Speaking of model railroads, the Baltimore Chapter NRHS will once again be at the Great Scale Model Train Show at Timonium, Md. Feb. 2nd and 3rd with over 500 surplus books, DVDs, and timetables from donations to the Md. Rail Heritage Library and Chapter, plus other odds and ends for sale! Mark your calendars and be there!
Cartoon: Howard Baer, from Esquire Cartoon Album, 1957
Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society

1548416160410.png

1548416218222.png

The Random Photo(s) Of the Day turn out to be VERY rare ones:
In the mid-1970s the Delaware River Port Authority PATCO Lindenwold High-Speed Line from Philadelphia to Lindenwold, NJ acquired at least two 1937-built Baldwin-Westinghouse electric locomotives for use as work train power from the Niagara Junction Railway, a former electric interurban turned switching railroad in northwest NY state that was later absorbed into Conrail.
The former NJ #9 became PATCO 404 and remained on the property for years before sadly being scrapped in 2018.
These photos are of sister #8, seen with the oval NJ loco painted over and a hasty spray-paint renumbering to #405. Note the stencils on the air reservoir: "HY TESTED HAMMER TESTED N.J. RY. 4-8-69" Note also the missing builder's plate and the still-present car poling pole, and the "Watch Your Step" signs for now-removed footboards. We can find nothing about this specific loco's eventual fate. Photographer unknown, Lee Rogers collection.

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society

I might be the coldest this morning of the people who post here in the ANPL. I have an even 30 below this morning here in Park Rapids, MN. Weather Underground shows a temperature of 27 below, Clear skys, 30.23 Barometric Pressure and Winds Zero MPH, ?out of the North? I will be going out in it to go to men's Group at Church and I no longer worry about whether my car will start, anymore! Back in the 80s and 90s I would have plugged my car in to warm the engine before trying to start. Even engine warmers are no longer needed!

If you have colder temperatures, let me know.

We're not quite as cold as you Mark but pretty damn close! Next week doesn't look much better either.
All the more reason to hunker down in the basement and work on the layout.

Forecast.jpg

Good morning all. 10 degrees and clear. Time for more coffee!!

Mark - 30 below!! I used to ski in temps like that, but not any more!! Stay warm, friend.

Nothing to report from the train room. Staying alive while batching it is my daily goal. Can't wait until my wife is back home. One week down, three to go o_O Will stop at LHS today after work, and plan to do some serious railroading and modeling this weekend.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 27° and clear as can be this morning. That's 27° above zero, tied for high this morning with Terry! But it isn't really bad outside as there is NO wind. The absence of wind though, reduces the draw on the woodstove. Spent most of the day outside yesterday, cutting molding and trim for the reinvigorated bathroom remodel project, I can only go so far before bumping into the painter (my wife), I also continued with the tree pruning project. That will go slowly but steadily since I have a self-imposed limit of 40 minutes activity with the chainsaw per session. Fatigue can lead to ugly accidents.
Thanks to all who commented on yesterday's photos, Johnny, Joe, Garry, Louis, Mike, Sherrel, Chet, Joe, Jim and anyone else that I may have overlooked.
Not a lot of time in the train shed yesterday. I did paint that hunk of blank plywood where I am going to locate a small rural village. I also rotated a few more freight cars around in the staging yard, so all have equal running time.
Here's another view of that staging yard taken from the opposite end. This shot made recently shows part of the extension of the five tracks on the right that I posted about the other day.
01-23-19 005.001.JPG

Johnny - Congratulations on the meal. I actually love to cook and basically banned my wife from the kitchen when I retired. She has mixed feelings about that.
Sherrel -
Willie, Garry beat me to the punch, but I picked up on the building under construction with the steel workers on top and the covered walkway over the sidewalk. Nice touch!
I'm surprised that you didn't pick up on that when you visited. I'll try to get a closer shot today for all who noticed it.
Terry - A raise is a raise. You'll probably see a rent hike shortly.:(
Curt -
I can't help but think you need a Pennsy train on your layout!:)
Box it up and I'll PM you an address!;)
Tom - Nice looking hoppers.
Mark - Nice looking freight house. Have a safe trip to Duluth and enjoy.

Everybody have a great day.

Hi everyone
Tom
nice score on the hoppers!
Mark
the freight house might not be Butte, but it sure looks good on your layout. nice job!
Louis
the local tv/radio parts shop had one of those tube testers, when I was a kid. To have one now, would be a great addition to my man-cave!

Have a nice day, everyone!

Good morning y'all. Happy Friday! A balmy 32° and sunny at the Jersey Shore.

Last night, I broke down, and ordered a BLI E7 in the PRR 1966 color scheme. It was a concession to reality, in that deep down I know that I'm not going to repaint any of the five stripe P2ks in this scheme as I originally planned. :rolleyes:

Louis: The first Price Club I encountered was in Edison, NJ, down the road from Metuchen Yard Office. in a building that formerly housed the S&H Green stamp fulfillment center. As far as I know it's still at that location. I also remember the tube testers, they were everywhere.

Boris There are only a few cobblestone streets left in Pittsburgh. They look good, but I don't think anyone will miss them as they are rough and noisy.

Max: Good riddance, while the photos are nostalgic, it was never pleasant driving on cobblestones, or following street cars. Cobblestone streets, however are picturesque and fit well on urban industrial railroads. The Yellow - brown cobblestones in the one Pittsburgh photo are a direct match for the cobblestone sheet I'm using. All I need do is add dirt between the stones. The ones in Philly and Baltimore, appeared more of a granite grey color
while the ones along Front street varied from yellow to grey depending were on Front street you were. Some were paved over. The total lack of color photos, from the 60s grants much artistic leeway. I just need to get the color right, to meet my own expectations.

Boris

Boris they redid many of the cobblestone streets around the new high-rise condominiums on the east side water front of the Baltimore harbor from President street as far east as fells point. They use them to control speeds as well as aesthetic reasons.
They look like this if it helps.
1548428843670.png

I don't like driving on those damn things, but I think millennials will put up with almost anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back