Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 35° and cloudy. The next couple will be milder with rain, which is actually typical coastal climate.

I completed the other sidewalk, last night. next step is a timber crossing. looking at prototype crossing photos, no two were alike. Some were concrete, some were timber, some black top with timber flangeways, and some were blacktop with another section of rail for a flangeway. That gives me a lot of leeway. While looking at the photo I'm uploading, I noticed a minor mistake.
Tilghman Street1.jpg

Have a great day.

Howdy!
30 degrees this morning going up to 70 and clear with calm.

JOE: I do not see anything wrong with the current color of the pavers? Maybe a few oil streaks - amd a pothole or two?

Joe - Looks like the trip pin on that coupler is a bit askew. Of course the road running off the end of the layout might be dangerous for 1/87 drivers.

Good morning ....

Johnny ..... Thanks for telling us about CTCA.... Prayers are continuing.

Mark ...... The bridge scene looks fabulous. ..... A "confuser".... LOL

Joe .... Nice work on your grade crossing.

Willie ..... Regarding 12 years remaining. Consider the source. LOL She will serve on the Finance Committeee chaired by another crazy one. Beware.

Louis ..... Nice photos ! I prefer the old Chessie colorful locos instead of the NS units painted in black.

Sherrel.... The Silverton photos look nice.

Greg .... The boat is funny. ..... An operator error on your layout Hmmmmmm. I can relate to that experience.

Terry and Mike ..... Good morning.

Afternoon All,

Today after some chores I spent a couple of hours finishing applying corrugated panels, putting in windows, doors and blinds. I weathered the raw edges of the panels with diluted burnt umber. Tomorrow I need to apply signage and rig a rolling track for the sliding door.

Joe- MOH also has very small feet so I told her about Zappos.

Louis- Interesting photos.

NP2626- Very nice looking bridge. I figure no matter where you live there are tradeoffs.

20190123_150149-980x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I found the Quick Plug board last night (right where I had put it) and changed it over in the club member's loco. Now I'm trying to remember which loco it came from 'cause it had an NCE 9 pin decoder installed but still on address "3". At least it's working.

Howdy everyone!

Dave
That is beautiful country. I miss going out west just for that reason. I'm planning a trip, when I retire next year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much talk in the Coffee Shop, tonight, but Dave got things going.

Just a couple of photos of Pittsburgh streetcars and a trestle at Crookham, PA - 20 miles S. of Pittsburgh.

Have a good day!

1548320702084.png

Altoona Works 1/2019 - Jim Stanton braved the cold tonight to catch train 951 passing through Harrisburg on its way to Altoona. The car is NS 30 "Marco Polo" which had been at DC Union Station since 1989.
NS 30 is a 1927 Pullman business car used extensively by President of the United States Franklin Delano Roosevelt between 1933 and 1940. In 1944 it was purchased by the Central of Georgia.
The Norfolk Southern fleet of office cars is stored and maintained at the Juniata Shops in Altoona, PA.

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society

Louis ..... Nice photos ! I prefer the old Chessie colorful locos instead of the NS units painted in black.

Garry, I also prefer colorful paint schemes and Chessie is my favorite.

I've over looked Norfolk Southern even though I see their trains almost daily when I leave home. I think it's due to the rivalry with Hampton Roads when I worked at the Baltimore coal piers. Norfolk Western carried the coal to Hampton Roads and their numbers dwarfed ours. It's been almost 40 years since I worked at the piers, time to let it go. :)

I don't own a single O gauge NS locomotive. I need to correct that.

Don't worry Willie ;) I know you are not.

With all her high ideals Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is trying to show contrast, but she is proving herself to be full of exaggerations on many topics. If she keeps up at this pace out right lies can't be far behind. She won't be the "flavor of the month" for long. People with good sense eventually ignore liars.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 32° in this part of the world. Beautiful morning out there. Cats are enjoying the dry weather since they are spending most of their time at the girlfriend cat's house lately, and that's a trip of over 1/3 mile away. They do look funny when completely wet though! Today is day eleven of the Keto diet and I have lost 7 pounds; more than my wife has lost. But I am not on that diet!!! I'm still enjoying potatoes, pasta, beer and bread. I simply cut out second helpings at supper.
While it was nice outside yesterday, but still too wet to work in the garden, I started my yearly tree-pruning. Many had gotten out of hand during my last few years of working, and it's time to catch up. And the logs need to start drying for next winters heating requirements.
I spent some time out in the train shed yesterday as well. I did some freight car upgrading, metal wheels, replacing plastic couplers with KD's and checking and adjusting coupler height. Still got a few left with plastic wheels and couplers, I just have to find them. I started my next project area, by clearing all of the temporarily placed structures off a swath of bare plywood so I could paint it earth color. I've posted about this area before, it is a small peninsula on the upper level nearest the entry door to the shed. First thing that you see when entering the room. The current selection of structures are all laser-cut wood structures that I have been assembling over the last few years just for this purpose. Some have been posted here.

Garry - I did consider the source, and now she has been named to another committee! :eek: I'll move forward.
Curt - That siding really looks good.
Jim - I like the picture of the CSX train on the trestle. I would be quite nervous about living in that red (brown?) house though!
Louis -
With all her high ideals Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is trying to show contrast, but she is proving herself to be full of exaggerations on many topics. If she keeps up at this pace out right lies can't be far behind.
You're quite right. But I am used to false statements by politicians though, "I did not have sex with that woman in the Oval Office"; "They have weapons of mass destruction"; and most famously "If you like your doctors, you can keep them".

Here's a couple more layout pictures as requested. First up, a view of the east staging yard with a few trains.
01-23-19 007.JPG

Next, another view of the ADM grain elevator from the other side.
01-23-19 008.JPG

Still have to put scenery behind it, considering either a cow pasture or a cemetery.
Now a shot of the (almost completed) city inside of the lower level turnback loop, the big city of Ft Wish.
01-23-19 012.JPG

Today is Beer Can Appreciation Day in remembrance of the historic, monumental, and thirst-quenching day beer was first sold in cans. I can appreciate that even though the beer that I purchase is mostly bottles. Mustache gets hung up in the pull-tabs!:mad: Ouch!
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 24 and sunny out there. One cup of coffee already gone. Hey, Flo - - how about bringing that pot of java over here, please?

Willie - some nice photos of your layouts!

Not much to report today, guys. Didn't have time to do anything in the train room last night. I did make a beef stew in our InstantPot last night - came out pretty good. I'm pretty much convinced now that I will not starve to death while my wife's away ;)

Plan to stop by my LHS this weekend and spend some quality time in the train room.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning y'all. 58°, and raining.

Louis, Max and Willie: Thanks for more great photos. The Pittsburgh streetcars are great. The one photo showed cobblestones the same color as the ones I am using on my model railroad. :) The NS Office car move brought back memories of my rides on the OCS Trains. I remember the pre NS, Southern Rwy used to keep their cars on #6 track at Washington Terminal. The cars were painted a deep, almost black, Pullman Green. The Southern was headquartered in Washington, although I believe operations were centered in Atlanta.

Yesterday, we ran errands. I bought a new TV at Costco, which replaced a ten year old TV that had startup issues, but once started worked fine. Spent the afternoon setting it up. What ever happened to plug and play?

Boris

Good morning ....

Johnny .... Beef stew sounds good. .. Occasionally, I'm here by myself when Shelley is out of town. Some of my meals are "Fresh. Right out of the freezer nd into the microwave." . LOL

Jim ... I like streetcars, and your streetcar photos are great. Interesting photo of the big highway bridge built over a CSX bridge. I see a road slug in the CSX consist.

Louis..... Again, you are posting interesting photos. The ice and coal company is interesting. Cold or hot. You pick. LOL .....

Willie .... Your layout photos are impressive. Apparently, you can operate a lot of freight trains. The city scene looks good. The building under construction is a very nice part of the scene.

You're quite right. But I am used to false statements by politicians though, "I did not have sex with that woman in the Oval Office"; "They have weapons of mass destruction"; and most famously "If you like your doctors, you can keep them".
The young congress lady has already earned 4 "Pinocchio Awards" in less than a month!
Your first example was an outright lie, the other two I believe were more a product of listening to misguided or devious advisors, but don't demonstrate an unprecedented pattern of lying like we see today.
Here's a couple more layout pictures as requested. First up, a view of the east staging yard with a few trains.
View attachment 33669
Next, another view of the ADM grain elevator from the other side.
View attachment 33670
Still have to put scenery behind it, considering either a cow pasture or a cemetery.
Now a shot of the (almost completed) city inside of the lower level turnback loop, the big city of Ft Wish.
View attachment 33671

Today is Beer Can Appreciation Day in remembrance of the historic, monumental, and thirst-quenching day beer was first sold in cans. I can appreciate that even though the beer that I purchase is mostly bottles. Mustache gets hung up in the pull-tabs!:mad: Ouch!
Everybody have a great day.
Great photos! Lots of great equipment and structures! I really like the panel truck with green flames. When I was young I wanted a Pinto Cruising Wagon with flames, God help me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back