Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start dismantling my upper deck soon. My wife's health has degraded extremely fast in the last few days. She broke her back in 3 places and now her heart starting to go they tell me. I guess lying motionless in a bed doesn't help. In 1997 she was working as a nurse at Northern Westchester Medical Center on the Cardiac care floor came home and 2 hours later was a patient there on the same ward she just left. I'll have to get the house ready for sale just in case things turn really bad for her. It doesn't look good.
Swal

Good morning. 40° somewhat sunny, but clouding over by afternoon, going to 50°. The weather guessers on TV are hyping this years version of the storm of the century...but snow at 50° is quite absurd...We will have to settle for overnight rain, Gale Force Winds and the proverbial Inland "Coastal Flood Warnings".

Did not watch any sports events yesterday, neither actual contests or pre determined outcome scripted events.

Meanwhile, on the layout, I worked on some of the tedious, projects, like cutting out roadway segments to fit into grade crossings. Somehow, after you measure carefully, and carefully cut on the line, they always look wrong when you place them on the layout....

Hope everyone has a good week.

Sherrel: Thinking of you and sending prayers your way... George: Thinking of your wife and you also...prayers going your way too.

Good Morning All!

35F @90% with light white stuff. 42F later this afternoon.

Willie: Jake is the wiggly'ist puppy we have seen for quite a while; the whole dog wiggles. He even looks to be smiling when he comes toward us. Found the doggie door yesterday but will only use it when others go out. So, the land mines have gone down also. The people we got him from gave him that last worming so we had to put up with that. We switched him to puppy food to help with the growth part. He is definitely a 'people' dog and comes running when he spots either of us.

To me, the game yesterday was great. Not a ground pounder, nor an aerial attack. Pretty much good football. I don't remember many penalties, and don't know if there was more than one sack or false start. The ref's were letting them play as we saw stuff that would have been called any other time; usually in the secondary. The pot luck was good as my plate kept getting stuff in it. Of course the deviled eggs went away darn fast. Ya, there was probably 20 dozen of the things including the ones Maria brought. Was told at the end of the game I had won on one of the boards so I will go back in sometime today and collect.

Later

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 37° on the SFW estate this morning. Clouds should give way around noon and we'll see 55°, and we'll return to the 60's tomorrow for the rest of the week. Ended up with 1" of rain yesterday on already saturated ground. There currently is a wicked NW wind that makes it seem colder than it really is. That's supposed to end around sundown.

So I only peeked in on the "Big Game" once yesterday, and all that I saw was a political ad for RFK. I grilled burgers and ate chips and queso instead. Most of the rest of the day was spent organizing photos on the computer after household duties. Today it's laundry day.

I did spend some time out in the train shed yesterday, but not as long as I intended. I had to make the trek back into the house for a hearing aid battery and I didn't feel like treading my way across the temporary pond between the shed and house again. So I just went back in and stayed.
IMG_1354.JPG

While out there, I reviewed some options for the cemetery. Besides the Woodland Scenics kit that is my base kit, I have another kit from Mouse Models. The plan was always to incorporate parts of each together and have two cemeteries.
IMG_1344.JPG

The other one has a rough outline using the Mouse Models kit next to a church in Charlottesville.
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG

The Mouse kit has a sprue of tombstones and a mausoleum, actually two sprues in different shades of gray, which when combined with other elements will provide variety in both cemeteries.
IMG_1345.JPG

I have had this kit for at least 15 years. I looked for them on the Internet and their home page has not been updated since 2011, and this appears to be the only kit that they made.
I have two Woodland Scenics Scenic Accents packages of tombstones to augment these and the other tombstones, plus I intend to make a few simple shapes from styrene to add as well.
IMG_1349.JPG

Sherrel - Best wishes on the chemo Tuesday and your other medical adventures the rest of this week.
Mike - It will be interesting to see how the MB Klein saga turns out.
Guy - The question is whether or not you still use that pair of snowshoes from 1971?
Curt - I like the way the stone pillars turned out also. It is too bad that they will be partially hidden in the back of the layout.
Hughie -
It was probably one of the easier Bar Mills kits I have assembled.
Maybe the lack of stairs???
Patrick - Too bad about missing the train shop.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras Day, with Ash Wednesday to follow. Lent begins. Easter is 10 days earlier this year than last.

Everybody have a wonderful day. The sun has already come out here. Maybe with the wind, the two can dry out my puddles, as it's not going to soak in.

Sherrel: Thinking of you and sending prayers your way... George: Thinking of your wife and you also...prayers going your way too.
Me to Sherrel. I heard yesterday that 2 of my past golf friends are on-life support. They're both younger than myself. I haven't played golf with them in a few years. I don't know what to say. That's why I attend church every Sunday. You never know what's next for you?
Swal

BORIS - Thank you very much ... and GEORGE, the same to you; you're plate is full!

I have to look again? There is something medical for me each day for the next six days - I had better fuel up the vehicles today? It is clear and sunny today with a temperature of 37 degrees - looking for a 67 degree high.

Enjoyed the game yesterday - pretty much convinced myself that KC was going to lose - the last minute was pretty exciting! I stayed home - just me and the pup. Hardly see the black lab mix that is still very skittish of everyone; she stays upstairs almost most of the time.

The local pharmacist SIL had to work yesterday, but showed up at 6PM to watch the remainder of the game with me. His work is about 1/2 mile away!

Enjoy your day ----

Me to Sherrel. I heard yesterday that 2 of my past golf friends are on-life support. They're both younger than myself. I haven't played golf with them in a few years. I don't know what to say. That's why I attend church every Sunday. You never know what's next for you?
Swal
Thank you, GEORGE! Received a text yesterday morning that my second cousin (lives down in Louisiana) passed away. He had been fighting liver cancer for several years. He was only 69 - guess I am lucky.

Like I said: You're plate is full! God Bless - keep looking up! My dad used to tell me that all the time.

Good morning from a very slow morning in the diner. I’m awake and grabbed a blanket hoping I can get some more sleep but on the chair in the cave. Wide awake at 5 and I need more than 3.5 hours of sleep.

Hobby dying? Here are some demographics from my Facebook page for January 2024. These are the visiting ages of the over 2700 visits to my page
View attachment 181209

less then 1/2 my visitors are over 55. How accurate is this? FB makes a lot of money with the info they gather, so it’s pretty good is my guess

Yesterday, Super Sunday was a good day. My granddaughter was over for some pool time, lunch, games and the pool again before her dad came to pick her up. I asked her who she was rooting for in that football game and she’s said Taylor and was right

The diner was dark but the front door unlocked so the coffee is ready for when Mel and the ladies get her

enjoy the day
Those are interesting numbers. I would of thought that it would of been fairly even in the first 4 age brackets and start trending downward in the last 2. Just for the fact I wouldn't of guessed the older group would of used Facebook quite as much as shown.

But on the other hand, look at most forums, older members use that regularly, so I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise, but I kind of am.

WILLIE Stairway to Heaven Number 1 song but I was also looking for the guy you like Peter Frampton because I don't know much about him. His name never came up or the bands he played in. He never had a song that was good enough to make the top 100?
Swal

Peter Frampton was big when I was a kid. I know this because I remember the name! I think his most famous or amongst the most famous is "Baby, I Love Your Way".

Frampton was known for using a "talk box". Speaking into it modulated the guitar or whatever instrument it was hooked up to.

I do like Peter Frampton and I have followed him from the days when he and Steve Marriot formed Humble Pie. He made a whole lot of good music over the course of his career, but never hit it big with any singles. That despite several songs being released from his landmark album "Frampton Comes Alive". "Do You Feel Like We Do" was just too long to make any Top 100 lists.
Baby, I like Your Way

hit #12 on US Billboard Hot 100
#3 in Canada
#28 US Adult Contemporary
#43 US Singles list

Frampton toured with some other bands in the mid 201x and I saw him play here in Utah. I can't remember who else was on the tour. The Geriatrics tend now to team up with 1 or more other bands so none of them has to play more than an hour

Time to settle the biggest debate ever

(I don't drink beer, so "Tastes Great!" vs "Less filling!" isn't on my radar.)

View attachment 181148

A typewriter kerchunks sideways a set amount, no matter which letter you type. An "i" takes up the same width as a "W". And a basic kerchunk of the carriage was not enough space to denote a new sentence. An O or a W might overhang a bit, as the typewriter manufacturers cheated a few microns for legibility of the letters.

But computers use dynamic spacing. They know when a sentence is beginning. They know skinny letter vs fat letters (I'm looking at you, W!) See how close the "i"s in the previous words are to the other letters?

And, that dynamic spacing means we get re-flowable text. If you're reading this on a computer screen, grab one side of the window, and pull it in for a smaller footprint. See how the text reflowed to fit?

If you put two spaces at the end of a sentence, and that sentence ends a line of text on a screen, some screens may end up splitting those spaces. One at the end of a line of text, and one at the beginning of the next line. It's a minor annoyance, but I've had to go back and reread some stuff on the interwebs to see if the thought on the next line pertained to the stuff above it, or if it was meant as a new line and new thought.

So rules for legible thought cohesion:
  1. Single space after a period/full stop
  2. Online, hit the RETURN KEY to break up long blocks of text. New thought? New issue? New topic? Hit the return key.
Thanks for reading. This reader of words is grateful for your continued efforts.

We now return you to your normal debate over the Swiftie Bowl tonight. Bean Dip? Ranch Dip? Or Queso Dip?
two spaces after period/full top. Any software that split up two spaces needs to be fixed. The software should be able to handle this.

Some spftware even auto places a period/full stop in when you type two spaces in a row. (For better or worse)

I guess that I was strictly thinking along the lines of unaccompanied keyboard intros. "Whiter Shade of Pale" has drums, bass and guitar along with the organ. Is it memorable? Yes. Is it groundbreaking? Not in my opinion. Again, it depends on who is doing the rating. More trivia: That's the only track on Procul Harem's first album that Robin Trower does not play on.
If you want ground breaking you need Buddy Holly, although some may want to add ELO mostly their shift was orchestral. A new instrument may or may not be ground breaking or just innovative. as someone who likes Queen, ELO, The Beatles, Loves Stairway to Heaven despite overuse, Wings (no no do not beat me) plus many many others including but not limited to Chemical Romance, Greendays, Hot Chocolate, The Jam, (not so much Stiff little fingers if I am honest - ducks) Simon and Garfunkel, some (oh yeah ducks) Elvis Presley, The Travelling Wilburys (Beatles and ELO plus other great voices) but has and will get up to the likes of Nellie the Elephant - stand clear of husband as he jumps and head butts the silver mirrored globe which bounces across the dance floor, It’s Raining Men, The Dubliners (my dads fault) Any any song used in Guardians of the Universe films ELO = Blue Sky. I admit to getting into ELO after Guardians and The Trvelling Wilburys after, still at least I am open to learning new stuff …grins.

Glad to hear Alan Parson's Project mentioned in the past few pages. One of my favorite "nobody's heard of" bands. Local oldies rock station won't play them.
Back when I still had a memory, I remember seeing Alan Parsons listed as the recording engineer on at least one Beatles album recorded at Abbey Road. It meant nothing at the time other than just another engineer. Then I saw his name again on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and I began to take notice of his other work, including Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat". Much to my surprise, I soon afterwards heard the first Alan Parson's Project album and I was a fan immediately. He always managed to have long-forgotten musicians guest on albums. Besides "Sirius/Eye in the Sky" on his 6th album, I particularly liked "Psychobabble" on the same album in the early 80's.

I'm going to start dismantling my upper deck soon. My wife's health has degraded extremely fast in the last few days. She broke her back in 3 places and now her heart starting to go they tell me. I guess lying motionless in a bed doesn't help. In 1997 she was working as a nurse at Northern Westchester Medical Center on the Cardiac care floor came home and 2 hours later was a patient there on the same ward she just left. I'll have to get the house ready for sale just in case things turn really bad for her. It doesn't look good.
Swal
Are you looking to pay for care in a ‘care’ home, because in my experience that breaks the bank, all depending a bungalow with a bedroom and en-suite with corridors wide enough for a wheelchair, paying for some at home care can be far less expensive than thousands per month, and with the scandals in care homes I would try this.
This advice is clearly not knowing your situation or your options ot your finances, and I suspect will be summararily rejected, but in the small hope it might offer something I’ll post this as an option.
We have a bungalow, with a granny annexe, and the annexe was designed by us for my dad, so if either of us gets bad we will at least for some time be able to offset what you are going through. Sorry not trying to sound smug. But if someone had another half, giving up a downstairs lounge in trade for a bedroom upstairs, this may offer some options.
My dad went into hospital to a care home when we advised home and he was dead inside a month. So even pre planning is no guarantees.
You have my sympathies, and my prayers for a reasonable outcome.

Last thoughts, our NHS sent a hospital bed with airbed to us on loan, no fee, as it was cheaper to lend us that than have him in hospital, We we’re considering a human hoist when he was hospitalised. Steps into shower, hand grips, shower seat (easier than tearing out a bath but bath seat is optional. But a broken back seems a much harder option than my dad. The airbed was to help with bed sores and did working very fast. a rubber turner on the bed helped as well, but doubt one person could operate it easily. You mention your wife worked in a hospital so I assume she had input. So at that point I think you will have had a lot of good advice from her anyway. We just cannot beat injury’s old age or time, hopefully she will be left with dignity, God Bless.

Hope none of this comment offends as seeming stupid.

If you want ground breaking you need Buddy Holly, although some may want to add ELO mostly their shift was orchestral. A new instrument may or may not be ground breaking or just innovative. as someone who likes Queen, ELO, The Beatles, Loves Stairway to Heaven despite overuse, Wings (no no do not beat me) plus many many others including but not limited to Chemical Romance, Greendays, Hot Chocolate, The Jam, (not so much Stiff little fingers if I am honest - ducks) Simon and Garfunkel, some (oh yeah ducks) Elvis Presley, The Travelling Wilburys (Beatles and ELO plus other great voices) but has and will get up to the likes of Nellie the Elephant - stand clear of husband as he jumps and head butts the silver mirrored globe which bounces across the dance floor, It’s Raining Men, The Dubliners (my dads fault) Any any song used in Guardians of the Universe films ELO = Blue Sky. I admit to getting into ELO after Guardians and The Trvelling Wilburys after, still at least I am open to learning new stuff …grins.
Rather eclectic mix of musical tastes, but most are on my playlist as well. Exceptions are Chemical Romance and Hot Chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back