Running Bear's February 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
4512388.jpg

Well, howdy there hungry people. It's Troy again.

Just visited a new to us pizza place in Downtown Fort Wayne (Indiana): Alto Grado

I wanted to try the Detroit-style pizza. And we got the cinnamon breadsticks. Pics, then the review.

329358574_561552852679712_2782389021638123472_n.jpg

329503054_1385472318870902_295830995087119385_n.jpg

Review: The place is clean, and fairly new in the area of downtown called "The Landing"
Fort Wayne is a city with three rivers, and "the landing" is near the city park along one shore. Metro apartments in the area. One block is closed off to vehicle traffic. A good place to stop and eat, unless it's winter, and you have to hike in from the free parking lot on the other side of the river. We bit the bullet and paid the $5 for parking in the lot right outside of the landing. But, hey, if the pizza is good, it's just part of the expense. Right?

It's an order at the counter place, with wood-fired oven. But they bring the food out and bus the tables, so service was good.

The cinnamon sticks were tasty - but had a bit of wood-fired taste to them. Not bad, but not expected.

The pizza was good. Love the crunchy texture of the baked in the pan edges. But, since they're trying for that downtown hipster feel, it was paper plates and plastic flatware. And this is pizza I, at least, want to slice and spear with a fork.

329179252_2154033731446453_4043201440972934910_n.jpg

Yeah... that didn't work so well. Even cheap-o metal forks from the school cafeteria aisle in the restaurant supply place would make this place into a *Must Visit* instead of a ... well, the weather's not bad, let's go park in the free lot and hike across the bridge. (about a 10 minute stroll).

I can handle either the pay-to-park (increasing the cost of the pizza) or the food-court-style plastic cutlery. Both together made the price a bit to high for the quality of the experience. One (parking) or the other (cheap plate and flatware) is acceptable for the price point. I'd prefer to not have to bring my own flatware to have a decent dining experience.

Afternoon All,

Started out at a cool 50F but in the 70's now. Drove down to see my RR friends in Orlando and had a great time. On the way home I stopped and bought 20# of parrot food. Not sure what's on the agenda for the rest of the day. I wonder how Joe's procedure went yesterday since I haven't seen anything from him yet.

Chet- Good to see you back. I'm glad your shoulder is doing well. Great layout shots but tempered with the knowledge that it no longer exists.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Forgot to turn the computer off so I figured that I had better check in again. I really enjoy the small town atmosphere here compared to Bozeman. One thing that didn't really bother me with the increasing prices was the price of gasoline. Everything is so close that I hardly put any miles on. Drove for 2 months and filled my car up still above half a tank. I do not have a fenced in yard to let the dogs run but they really don't care for the cold weather and I need the exercise taking them for a walk. Not only did I lose my model railroad by moving, another hobby I lost is working on my classic cars. The place has only one parking spot aloted under the covered area and I had 3 vehicles here. I gave the 2006 Ford Taurus that I replaced the engine in that my wife (ex) blew up in Utah. My neighbor was very nice to allow me to have a couple of feet so I can squeeze my pickup and Buick under the covered area. I have no place yet to bring any more vehicles up here or work on them. Sold off a few at the Barrett Jackson auction and managed to have relatives nice enough to let me park a few under cover in barns and shops.

Karl - Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.

Curt - Thanks for the good words. I was talking with Willie and he mantioned that you had made a lot of progress on the new layout. Do you have a link where I can catch up on it?

Troy - Those food photos made me hungry. I enjoy pastries and there is a great bakery department at the grocery store close by (Only 2 in town) and about the only thing I can get for a breakfast is the apple turnovers. I enjoy other pastries such as cinnamon rolls but with only me eating them, any extras would turn into hockey pucks before I would get to them. Haven't has a good pizza for a while. Back at my old place, a guy bought the old post office and opened a pizza shop, one of the best in the county as he tries to make everything from scratch when he can. There is one pizza shop here, Pizza Hut. I really would go hungry before getting one from them.

I see a lot of posts about how cold it has been Here's a tip.
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Here are some more photos from the archives.
thumbnail_20200412_102930.jpg

thumbnail_20200919_121247.jpg

thumbnail_20210328_131642.jpg
thumbnail_20201107_121758.jpg
thumbnail_20210328_131749.jpg
thumbnail_20201017_140743.jpg
thumbnail_20210328_132717.jpg
thumbnail_20201018_105351.jpg

Going to head into the kitchen and catch up with cooking some meals and then using the vacuum seal machine to put them in the freezer. Still have some catching up to do having been away for a while.

Later

Louis - Good luck with the furnace if you haven't already fixed it. Always remember that as we age, it is sometimes better to let the moths out of our wallets and call in the experts. Better than the frustration.
Willie, I have not gotten to it yet. I like to work on things when I can. The furnace is easy, I can sit on my roller seat. When I get to it that is. I did find my notes. I had them saved in my Microsoft cloud.
1675544127774.png

I was an independent industrial mechanic for many years. I made a good living working on all kinds of machines and equipment. Some nobody else wanted to touch. I've worked on things from computers to 1940s earth movers. I seldom get frustrated. It's fun figuring out how things work.

I don't like to use any service; they can tick me off! I have to wait too long for service. They often work too slowly, and sometimes they are just plain stupid!

I only use warranty services. I don't want to do anything to void my warranty or pay for covered parts.
I had the Samsung guy here for warranty service for my TV a few months ago and he did an excellent job!
I sent one of my PS4 to Sony. It turned out it was not under warranty. They replaced the old hard drive with a new 1TB solid state drive and paid the shipping both ways! Best of all it was back in less than two weeks! All that for only $140, money well spent!

Luckily, the electric fireplaces have done a fantastic job keeping us warm. According to my smart meters the cost has not been too bad.

I had so much work booked I would have had to postpone a customer and I don't like to do that.

You are so right about age. Everything takes longer and I keep over booking myself. I need to say "sorry, but no I don't have the time". My wife will be happy if I say no more often. She has been after me to slow down. I feel like if I go any slower, I will stop.

I'm not greedy or extravagant. I try to keep building my nest egg to cover the next health crisis. Now that I broke down and signed up for healthcare insurance I need to slow down.

Wow...drooling. You film that, Smudge? Dang...I hope to go full railfan when I retire...some sweet pics...loved the whistle on your prior post with the Cass steamer...wowza. Totally jealous...ah 8 years and counting 'til retirement...
Unfortunately it's not mine, just a vid I found on YT, all of them are, summer I'm hoping to film a few local heritage trains that we have around here

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 30° on the SFW estate. Mid-60's by Sunday and Monday, and then hovering around 60° at least until Super Bowl Sunday. Our paved road out front cleared off yesterday, but the gravel road on the south side was still icy and slushy. That probably froze overnight.
Went out a little while ago with the binoculars and observed the green comet. Here it is visible before dawn because of the nearly full moon that needs to set first. It's visible near the North Star, and it's best viewed with binoculars or a telescope, although this morning it was barely visible with the naked eye. I couldn't spot it yesterday because of the clouds - it will be visible for another 10 days or so. It's supposedly 26 million miles away and hasn't approached the earth in 50,000 years. How the hell do they know that???
The postponed grocery trek is this morning, hopefully they have time to restock. Then my wife takes the car to Dallas until Wednesday to take care of our granddaughter while her parents head for Las Vegas for a few days. This afternoon I may clear out embers/ashes from the heater, or maybe wait until tomorrow if it isn't too full.
Yesterday, I planted Tomato and Spinach seeds in planter boxes indoors. Today I will do some lettuce seed. Actually, if the garden soil is workable enough, I might plant a partial row of spinach and lettuce out there as well. They can be successful even this early. One of my philosophy's is that if you don't lose something at each end of the season, then you aren't maximizing your time and space. Seed is cheap. Once transplanted outdoors, the plants that are started inside will out-perform the ones direct seeded in the garden, and be ready for picking earlier. Most seeds will sit dormant in the soil until the moisture and temperature are right for germinating, in this case maybe two weeks instead of three days like the ones inside the heated house. I just don't have the space to do more inside and I dismantled my greenhouse about 10 years ago.

Thanks for the reactions regarding the final phase of the quarterly layout cleanup.

Yesterday was strictly train time out in the train shed. That and some assorted cleanup and put things up time. I won't remember where I put most of those things next time that I need them. No pictures of any of that. I do have some pictures that I took about ten days ago at the Texas Northern Model Railroad Club layout after I attended the show on the 21st. Here' a few.
View attachment 161265
View attachment 161266
View attachment 161267
View attachment 161268View attachment 161269
View attachment 161271
View attachment 161272
View attachment 161273View attachment 161274
By the way, if you live in this area, ScaleTrains will be there on Saturday March 4. Time will be announced

Louis - Good luck with the furnace if you haven't already fixed it. Always remember that as we age, it is sometimes better to let the moths out of our wallets and call in the experts. Better than the frustration.
Tom O -

Sadly, I know some folks who make better than six figures a year who don't have a week's worth of savings. But they have a new $65K pick up every two years, a gym membership, and an overpriced home in an upscale neighborhood that's too big for them to maintain without paying a maid.
Curt - You might check on hoseeker.net to see if they have instructions for your freight car there.

Today is The Day the Music Died, the 64th anniversary of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper. Trivia: Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on the plane to The Big Bopper who had the flu.
Everybody have a great day.
Love the hotdog stall and the swimming pool

It has been a while. Haven't had the computer on much and don't know what my password is to log in on the phone.

The left shoulder is coming along quite well after replacement surgery. Movement is very good but depending on which direction I move the arm, there is still a lot of weakness but in time it will come back. I have more or less quit physical therapy as I have already gone through it all with the right shoulder. The therapist was quite suprised at how well I was coming along.

I got back from Scottsdale, AZ and the Barrett Jackson auction they had last week. Sold off a few more cars. Having moved to Libby, I don't have any place to keep much. My '59 Impala is at th Chevy dealer near the old place. They put it out on the showroom floor from time to time. Worked out with them to keep it in a climate controlled area. Came close to buying a couple but was able to control myself. If I were to try to acquire another car, it would not be a new one. Totally gave up on them. Too expensive. They are the worst investment a person can make as they lose at least 10% of their value, if not more, as soon as you drive them off the lot. I would love to find a BMW, not a new one, but a Bavaria around 1970 to 1973. I bought one when I was home ported in Italy and brought it back to the states. Had so sell it when I moved back to Montana from Florida as there were no BMW dealers in the state. That's when BMW and Mercedes still made quality cars, not like the high tech junk they sell now.

I guess I have stayed away from the forum because I am still in withdrawal from tearing down my layout which I worked on for over 30 years. I ddid accomplish something with it though. Made a plan on what kind of layout I wanted and over time built it and it operated the way that I wanted. Still brings tears to my eyes. Turned the computer on for the first time in a month and like a jerk, I went through some of the layout photos.

Terry - Buffalo Industries I believe sold some cleaning supplies.

Joe - I did miss seeing your photos when I wasn't visiting the forum. My uncles were always talking about the rules, working hours and were usually whining about being on call.

Curt - I am going to have to go back into previous months and see how your new layout is coming along.

Willie - Looking forward to seeing more of your layout photos.

Christian - Love that photo of the diner. Didn't have any like that out here, but did look for them when I was on the east side as you could always get a great meal there.

ctclibby - Better see if Troy can spare some of that Makers Mark. A little John Wayne therapy can't hurt. I jhave some Pendleton and Devils cut over here.

Guess I'll make myself sad and post a few photos from the archives. View attachment 161286
View attachment 161287View attachment 161288View attachment 161289View attachment 161290View attachment 161291View attachment 161292View attachment 161293View attachment 161295View attachment 161296

Later. Hope it isn't as long.
Love the round table and the Main Street shopping area

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 35° this morning. Upper 50's today, mid-60's tomorrow and Monday. It sure felt great seeing the sun yesterday for the first time in almost a week. Springlike weather for the rest of the ten day forecast.
For some reason, everything that I had planned for yesterday got done!:) The delayed grocery trek went as well as expected, it was a bit more crowded than my usual Thursday trip, but at least the stuff that I went after was in stock. Prices seem to have stabilized a bit; some things have gone up by a few cents here and there. I didn't look at eggs since I didn't need them. Gasoline around town was up about a nickel a gallon, but many places were temporarily out due to deliveries being late from the ice storm. Later I split some wood and got the indoor planting of Spinach, Lettuce, Parsley, Cilantro and Arugula planted. Some of the seed was leftover from 2020, so that is iffy. Just to be sure, I planted 3-4 seeds per pot and will thin if necessary. I cleaned some ashes/embers out of the wood-burning heater, and also spread the previous cleaning on the garden. Wood Ashes contain significant quantities of Potassium and Calcium which are essential to good growing soil. Yesterday's embers will burn out in a couple of days.

I didn't spend a lot of time out in the train shed yesterday due to the lovely weather that I had. Probably the same again today. While there, I continued on my normally fruitless quest to clean, arrange and generally organize everything under the layout. I know that some folks like to run trains continuously while working in the layout room, so I tried that again yesterday. Naw! It just doesn't appeal to me. I did have the Ipod playing like I normally do while out there, and rocked out to mostly 60's and 70's music, and relived some of the many concerts that I had attended. Moody Blues and Electric Light Orchestra stood out yesterday.
Here's a few more pictures of the layout at the Texas Northern Model Railroad Club layout two weeks ago.

View attachment 161324View attachment 161325View attachment 161326View attachment 161327
They have a member there who likes to make trees. I wish mine looked this good.
View attachment 161328
View attachment 161329
View attachment 161330View attachment 161331View attachment 161332

Chet -

I just can't use the phone for surfing the web.
Curt - One can never tell what you might find on hoseeker.org. I have found instructions for some stuff that I wasn't expecting. It's too bad that your car wasn't there and you now have to wait.
Tom O - So good to read that you're feeling better. I also hate being sick.

Alice Cooper is 75 years old today, Rosa Parks would have been 110.
Everybody have a great Saturday.
Excellent trees and rocks

I'm baaaaack!!

The grandkids are sounding like there is a gymnasium upstairs. I'm nursing an inner ear infection in the basement. I did get some progress on the layout today. Actually, under the layout. The PC, the NCE, the LokProgrammer and the trusty old MRC powerpack are all co-existing together again, ready to program or test just about anything again. With overhead LED light strips (for old eyes) and a short little roll around chair, we be in bidness!
under the benchwork .jpg

I need another antibiotic, and some tea (twisted tea that is)

I'm playing the horses at the Meadowlands and they advertise the Martin & Lewis tribute show coming to the track in the future. In the photo they look just like the comedy duo of the 50's. I did a search on youtube and they look and sound just like them. The guy sings just like Deam Martin. Unbelievable.

Martin_and_Lewis_show.JPG

I'm up.

Woke up at 3:30 with a start! OMG... I forgot to put the trash out. Gotta clean the cat box, empty the kitchen trash... OMG The truck comes at 5:30!!!

Got to the loo for the bladder run, and realized

Stupid brain. It's still Sunday. Trash truck doesn't show up until Monday. We're not down in Oz. Go back to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back