Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All. Bright sunshine and 14° with 20+mph winds from the north. We currently have electricity and so does our ISP. These rolling blackouts are providing some issues. The pumps at the local coop water supply company are being affected and water volume has slowed to a trickle. It seems that they have to manually reset them each time and only a couple of their wells have emergency backup generators. Of course everyone on the system is dripping faucets. I am able to see two of their water towers from here, one about 1 1/4 miles south and another about 2 1/2 miles northeast. And presumably both of them are affected when we are. While I haven't ventured that far out yet, it appears that our roads are passable judging from the limited traffic, but it is just snow. No ice here. The other real pain is the amount of time required for Win10 to boot up! Thus I am going to be brief. I am extremely grateful that I heat with wood.
Everyone have a warm and safe day.

An interesting thing I noticed between the Athearn Genesis of years ago (early 2000) and the Athearn ready to roll today. Both cars have the same detail and most likely same mold. The only difference is the roller bearing trucks on the Genesis and of course the price. The Genesis back in the day was $20 ($40-$50 on ebay now) and $34 for the ready to run today. Top is the Genesis in the first pic.
IMG_3958.jpg
IMG_3959.jpg
IMG_3961.jpg

Afternoon, fellas. Currently -8F here in MN. I'm going over some photos one of my fellow clubbers uploaded here a long time ago.

I keep thinking I would like to get into FreeMo. I know several guys who are or were in Minnesota FreeMo group and they're a terrible influence! But being that I'm already in two clubs with layouts, I might have to give one up to pursue FreeMo.

Otherwise, I got a new book this past Saturday.

IMG_20210215_095450545.jpg

Good evening gang! 32° and a little sleet/flurry action, supposed to be rain by morning, temps getting up to 45° by mid-day.....a tropical heat wave no less:rolleyes:
I did, for the 1st time in 2 weeks put on 2 shoes, and actually drove SWMBO to the grocery store. I even pushed the cart some. It felt good after being bed/housebound for 2 weeks! I've got a DR appointment tomorrow that I will take myself to, oh boy!!!

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's 33*F and raining with a 7mph ESE wind - that means the temp will get back above freezing, hooray!

Garry - glad to hear you'll get an opportunity to get back to your house in KY, hopefully your property hasn't sustained too much damage from these storms that have been hitting every 3 days. Joining Karl in praying for a safe trip home.

Willie/Hughie/GT/Patrick - I'm praying for you guys as well! 😳

I don't really have much more to say besides that; not easy to enjoy mrr when your friends in other corners of the continent are suffering...

Good Morning everyone...very cold again and snow approaching for tomorrow maybe 2 inches and then maybe 4 inches...who knows until it stops snowing.

Spending the morning waiting for the roofers and cruising the web and emails. I got an NMRA email that has links to various topics and layouts. Thought since the Corvid has many of us home-bound, you can watch some model railroading videos. The video are linked and the side bars has some links to equally great layouts. These layouts demonstrate that switching layouts can be as detailed and as much fun as a massive home layout.

I found this older video of Eric Brooman's Utah Belt and I didn't realize how large the layout actually was and this video is a showcase of his work. I like the rock work and weathering of his rolling stock.

My back has improved so I just may venture down to the layout tomorrow. Just a few minor pains when I move wrong or try to pick something up off the floor.

I spent the night dog sitting for Riley. I sleep in a recliner in the den next to Riley's crate to keep her company and she's active after a few hours of sleep and then tries to climb up and join me. I finally gave up and the little critter slept at my side from 1:00 AM until she woke me up at 7:00 AM. Montanan is so correct that the Doxies like to be with people and cuddle. BTW Riley likes the re-runs of Law & Order - SVU.

So much for today...................

Stay warm and dry.

Greg

#####################

PS: Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a puppy from tearing up their Potty Pads???

I have been a fan of Eric Brooman's Utah Belt since he first came into the recognition of the MRR world. He is definitely a master of many talents. I have had a few opportunities to purchase some of his locomotives but was not in position to afford the prices that they were fetching. Some of his locos went in the 1k range and higher. I was willing to drop 500 to 600 but not a 1k. Nonetheless there were a few people on here back in time that actually bought his locos. Anyhow cool video links!

An interesting thing I noticed between the Athearn Genesis of years ago (early 2000) and the Athearn ready to roll today. Both cars have the same detail and most likely same mold. The only difference is the roller bearing trucks on the Genesis and of course the price. The Genesis back in the day was $20 ($40-$50 on ebay now) and $34 for the ready to run today. Top is the Genesis in the first pic.View attachment 124832View attachment 124833View attachment 124834

Interesting comparison.... 🤔

Morning all,

Currently -12° with no wind chill, but that will change. They are expecting between 2-5 inches of CRAP snow this evening into the overnight hours. Have 2 tires now screaming they are low, one since the truck was new to me and a second started just before the cold hit. Of course everyone's air machines are out of order due to the cold...

So I'll have to run the beast down to the tire place to get them fixed. Not sure if it's cheap tires, inexpensive rims or a combination of both. 1 though may actually have a nail in it, so there is that.

I did make it in to the office and so far no one else is in. The park guys are clearing the sidewalks at this time, so we're probably going to be open. At least I have all the systems cross checked and cleared this morning. Just waiting for someone to need something.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and -1° this morning. Not too sure I will have power as the rolling blackouts will continue. The periods of power during the night seemed to be longer than yesterday, but the damage is already done here. Due to the blackouts, one of the water company's main pumps froze, slowing water flow to a trickle, which in turn wasn't enough to keep our faucets dripping. Result is all of our pipes are now frozen. Can't do anything about that until it rises above freezing maybe Saturday or Sunday. Meanwhile we have drinking water stashed and a bathtub filled to use in the toilets. Firewood will hold out and the propane tank is at 85% so we can cook and stay warm until this goes away.
I am pushing my luck with the Internet connection and the power being on right now, so I will leave you.
Stay warm and safe.

Good morning y'all.

Update from the South:

ok in sc.jpg

In other weather news: we are experiencing a break in precipitation today and supposedly tomorrow, before resuming thunderstorms on Thursday. It is presently 45 with a feel of 37, and a forecasted high of 47. Should be cloudy and breezy with gusts up to 25 mph.

Flo- Coffee and bacon please, I have to take advantage of the break in the weather today so I'll have breakfast sorted out by the time you return.

Sherrel- There is always space and bacon to be found in the corner, I slip Flo a few extra bucks when I pay the tab every week so she dips into Mel's personal stash if they run low.

Curt- I'm in Lancaster (pronounced locally as Lane-kissed-her or, for the more seasoned natives: Lank-stir). Not as familiar with that part of the state. Neither I, nor my wife, are natives. She's from Monroe, NC and I grew up in Jacksonville, FL. The only reason we live here is it was convenient to my job in Charlotte in the early 2000s and it was considerably closer to the dirt track where we spent every Saturday night it didn't rain. Our son, however, was born here.

Praying for all y'all out there is the frozen west and other areas. Y'all stay warm and stay safe.

Yesterday was spent out and about, working on curing the cabin fever. Today will be a work day, since I do not get paid to sit at home. The rain keeps falling and the cash on hand dwindles more each day. But, it's out of my hands and in a far more capable set than mine. He ain't let me down yet and I don't think He'll start today.

Ok Flo, ready for breakfast. I'll have a T-bone, medium, 3 scrambled eggs, a double hash brown, toast with butter and jelly, oj, and another coffee please. That ought to get me until lunch.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back