Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, my sympathies with your MIL. Having been there, though, the term "favorable outcome" can have a rather fluid definition. From your description of her problems you might want to prepare yourselves.

All of you: Boris reminded me that I am constantly guilty of failing to "Like" folk's posts. I somehow never developed that habit even though I am always in awe of what all you guys are capable of. My apologies to you all, and please take my admiration as read.

Meanwhile, the big story in our lives, currently, is our upcoming cruise. We leave two weeks from today, and set sail on the 16th. Advance word is that one of the ship's auxiliary generators is down, affecting her speed, so that one of our six ports of call will be canceled. This has been going on since December and they've been rotating the cancelled ports; my calculation is that we'll be missing out on their "private island," a stretch of beach that Princess leases in the Bahamas. I don't mind at all since the only thing these beaches have that isn't on-board the ships is sand. Besides, they give $75 per person in compensatory on-board credit that I can drink up.View attachment 44614View attachment 44615

Boris- The Shadow knows!!

Toot - really like the Charger!
Just for you, here's the front view
1582958572242.png

Good morning y'all. 27° and sunny, going to 37° with the threat of snow showers overnight, before warming up tomorrow.

Not for nothing, this has been a wicked week. Nothing scheduled for today or tomorrow, so some recovery time is scheduled. As I look back, circumstances led us to four consecutive days of fast food lunches, and accompanying indigestion :eek: In addition the same four evenings were heat n eat dinners.

I need to pick up some 14 - 16 Ga spade connectors as I wire the new module and control area for the layout. Maybe a ride to Lowes later on. Right now, I need a Taylor ham and egg sandwich on toast, and more coffee.

CNJ DRX6-4-2000.jpg

Baldwin passenger cab at an unknown station, probably on the CNJ Main line Jersey City to Allentown, back in the day.

Good morning y'all. 27° and sunny, going to 37° with the threat of snow showers overnight, before warming up tomorrow.

Not for nothing, this has been a wicked week. Nothing scheduled for today or tomorrow, so some recovery time is scheduled. As I look back, circumstances led us to four consecutive days of fast food lunches, and accompanying indigestion :eek: In addition the same four evenings were heat n eat dinners.

I need to pick up some 14 - 16 Ga spade connectors as I wire the new module and control area for the layout. Maybe a ride to Lowes later on. Right now, I need a Taylor ham and egg sandwich on toast, and more coffee.

View attachment 44630
Baldwin passenger cab at an unknown station, probably on the CNJ Main line Jersey City to Allentown, back in the day.
Now, how did they get that steam to look so much like cotton wool?

Good Morning All. 43° and partly cloudy. Leap day today. An extra day to do stuff. It's possible that winter is over here and spring has arrived. Except for Tuesday and Wednesday, the highs are going to be above 68° for the next ten days, and Wednesday will still be above 60°. Not quite Sherrel or Phil's weather, but I'll take it. Some minor lower back aches this morning from overdoing it yesterday in the yard and garden. Had to take an ibuprofen for it. I'll be good to go in another hour.

How about a couple of over easy eggs and a pile of sausage patties this morning Flo. Throw in a toasted whole wheat English Muffin for good measure.

Thanks to all for the likes and comments on yesterday's progress pictures; Jerome, Karl, Johnny, Mikey, Jim, Joe, Guy, Patrick, Phil, Sherrel, Chad, Garry, Ken, Curt.

Made some progress in the train shed yesterday, but not as much as I wanted to. Well today is leap day, an extra day to go out there. I did get some bushes along the fence rows and assembled the goat shed. Forgot to take any pictures. In the meantime, flatcars aren't the only cars that I add loads to. Here is a pair of gondolas.

02-29-20 003.001.JPG

The one in front is an Atlas 53' kit with another of those Chooch loads of coiled steel cable. The back one is either a 40' Tyco or maybe a Lifelike toy car that I added body mount Kadee couplers and metal wheels to. Actually after Googling it, it is a Tyco. I am not sure where the load came from. Partially seen to the right is another flatcar with a load of rusty machinery.
I'll do better with tomorrow's pictures I hope.

Mikey -
The tile floor is sure rough on old knees!
ALL floors are rough on the old knees!:confused:
I guess the trailer has a rabbit ears antenna on their TV?
I dunno yet. I do have both outdoor antennas or satellite dishes that I could add. Haven't gotten that far along with the detailing yet.
Johnny - With so many other things going on, the tie-downs haven't taken priority yet. Sometimes it's a matter of not being able to locate what I need and the car gets put on the layout and forgotten!:confused:
Jim - I guess that the dishwasher got the rest of the burrito!
Sherrel - Thankfully the wood burning heater that I have doesn't require splitting unless the log is over 12". The unsplit wood lasts longer, not as much reloading and I can't see the dainty orange flames anyway. No more than I have to do, I still use the wedge and sledge.
Beady - Just be sure not to fall overboard. Enjoy the cruise.

Enjoy the day today and have a great weekend. I'll be firing up the grill tonight for baby back ribs.

Just a fairly quick stop and quick browse of posts. We are officially owners of our house in Tennessee! Got the papers signed Wednesday morning then had the electricity, gas and water switched to our names. ADT is coming Monday to install the alarm system and our realtor is going to be there to let them in to do there thing. We are still sorting and packing. 30 years of living without moving allows for a lot of accumulation of stuff and the need to sort what is going and what is being kept. Moving day is getting closer and quickly! I won't be on here much but I will pop in from time to time as I can. When we are settled in and life slows down a little, I will return.

Everyone stay safe and have fun railroading!

Good morning, everybody .

Karl ...... The truck looks great !

Boris .... The CNJ double-ended locomotive is unique.

Willie .... The loaded gondola looks great.

B Bob ... Congratulations on buying your TN home.

Curt .... Thanks for commenting on my photo of my observation car.

Also, thanks to all who liked it .

Below are photos of CB&Q 483 while in service on the NCL and late when it was painted silver.

38017120384_3b8e259f0b.jpg

38017120044_6d66e3dfe1.jpg

Everybody ... Have a good Saturday !

Last edited:
Howdy everyone!

The likes on my stuff is apreciated! :)

Flo - how 'bout a ham steak, home fries, salad, hot tea and warm apple cobbler

Sherrel - thanks for the layout comment. My aunt and uncle bought a house that had a bean
tree and could only think why would anyone have one of those in their yard. The following
year, my uncle cut it down.

Chad - I'm a big fan of chili. I made some last week and usually every 3 weeks. I make it spicy
and with beans. I'd make it more often, but need time to recuperate :oops:;)

Karl - Nice pickup! You must do the same kind of railfanning as me. I don't care for all the stickers
and graphics either. I ordered my GMC with the sticker delete option!

Mikey - I was saving the Iowa Interstate photo for you ;):D but with my huge photo archives, it took
me a while to find it :Dlol

Toot - thanks for the front end shot. All it needs is a hi-rise hood! The red stripe tires are :cool:

Willie - Great loads. Now that you mention it, I'd like to see a photo of the rusty machinery.

Bob - good to hear you closed on your TN home. I sure don't envy you with all the work involved.
When I moved to this home, I planned it to be my last, except for the move to boot hill ;)

With the cold winter weather the last few days, I have no guilt staying indoors and working on the
layout ;):) In fact, I'm totally enjoying it! I've accomplished much, but will refrain from posting any
progress photos as they are quite boring and don't want to put you guys to sleep ;)

I did have an extensive operating session yesterday, but only after an initial mishap. I have a double
header, 15 open hopper coal drag on my main. About the third lap, a hobby knife vibrated off a pile
of construction materials and caught the fourth hopper. Of course, there was a derailment with three
of the four cars involved laid on their side. Many of the iron ore balls I use for weight fell to the
floor, but all the cars stayed on the layout! whew :)
Now . . . I made two mistakes, first not "walking" the layout for possible problems and ONCE AGAIN,
not taking photos of the accident! :(

I leave you all with these pair of photos . . .

Have a great day!
Jim

B&O 2-8-8-4 @ Sand Patch PA • I might have posted this before, but it's cool enough to see it again!
gtU767b.jpg

N. Dalles WA 2003
Q5hvj6C.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores, changed out all the smoke detectors in the house and got the pool vac to work (barely), still don't know what the heck is wrong with it. The pump and motor are moving water fine but the inlet for the vacuum has very little suction.

Karl- Nice looking truck.

Joe- Interesting photo. The front looks like a centipede but it doesn't have the wheel sets of one.

Willie- Nice load. It's supposed to get up into the high 80's here this week.

Bob- Congrats on the new house.

Garry- Nice rail car shots.

Jim- Great pictures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Slowly catching up on things that never got done while I was in Las Vegas. Ran some errands yesterday and then took all four games bowling last night. I have been in and out on the league bowling with the bad leg but now I think I have a handle on it.

Jim - Like your photos. Sweet.

Willie - Your work on the gon and flat loads is nice. Send a few up here.

Garry
- Like that observation car. I liked riding in it when I was a kid but the adults always ran me out so it was up to the dome car.

Joe - I always enjoy your prototype photos. Like that GG-1. Thanks for taking the time to post them with the MIL taking so much of your time.

IBKen - Waiting to see some photos of the static grass project.

Sherrel
- Are you going to be subject to the "Water Usage Taxes" where you are ? Wondering what they're going to tax people on next out there.

Johnny - Like thee archive photos. Keep them coming. That's about all I have any more as I really haven't done much work on the layout. Just been running them.

Karl
- Nice looking pickup. Enjoy and don't pull a Sherrel with it. icon_lol.gif

Ray - Like the Charger but compared to the American model, think you got short changed.

Not caught up with all of the chores, but I think I'll head down to the basement. I think there's a train room down there somewhere.

Here's one from the archives.

track-trace-rail.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back