Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone....overcast, cold and windy with lows below zero tonight. Cancelled any Valentine's Day activities.

Sort of short train day yesterday. I cut out the decals and patch stripes for three ore cars and spray two with DullCote. The decal, even applied without a gloss finish under them, looked great after the DullCote. I did apply decals to one side of an ore car before I was paged to the upstairs to find a document. The home office is a mess so I spent two hours cleaning and arranging the paperwork. Between the cabin being shot up and its paperwork, the vehicle accident and taxes, wow. I'm a terrible filer.

I took a shower and then relaxed alone with the book by Jeff Wilson, Painting and Weathering Railroad Models. I enjoyed reading this book while having a few cocktails and found several subjects of interest. The soft cover book was good reading and I'll keep it handy.

I did run a track cleaning car over the main line being pulled by the new #41, a SD-39. Once the abrasive pad equipped car uncoupled. Need to find the reason for that to happen. I ran the coal unit train for likely 5 hours without a problem.

Willie: The complex where I worked was officially a super regional shopping mall, but also had four professional office buildings. The complex had a Central Plant that housed the chillers and low pressure boilers, so it became a mixed use facilities somewhere between a industrial plant and a shopping mall. The Facilities Staff who did the mechanical work received the most OSHA training since they worked with high pressure chillers, low pressure boilers, electrical from 4160 volts, plumbing and rooftop HVAC and four pipe heat/cooling systems.

OSHA training was done every year for the 30+ hours and given by corporate trainers. The staff likedthe course mainly because of the free lunches and treats. Tests followed each section. After the first year the courses became boring. It's funny that I never operated a lift truck, but somehow I was a Certified Forklift Trainer in OSHA's eye's. I taught refresher courses during the year or had guest contractors do the presentations.

The housekeeping staff all received the biological/pathogen training.

Boris: Since I been in Re-Hab facilities several times to get stronger and healthier take your MIL to a re-hab center for a tour that has Nursing Home care. I'm positive once she sees the people in the hallways sleeping wheel chairs covered with a banket, residents trying to eat and unable to do what we take for granted...she may start on the road to recovery.

Today, I'll finish the ore car decals and do the track cleaning where I run the train. That lamppost will get installed. I keep looking for drill bits forgetting that I have a set of bits in various sizes that purchased years ago.

That's about all for now.

Greg

###############################

IMG_0354 (2).JPG

This is SOO Line locomotive #4441 that was weathered to the point of being a rust bucket.-Greg

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Patrick! Glad to hear that the shoulder and hand are improving - stay warm.

Karl - Happy Birthday/Valentine's Day to the Missus - Walmart here has a $0.97 card rack - my go too!

JIM - The layout is looking really good ... I like your rooftop details.

JOE - Sorry to hear about the MIL. Spousal Unit's mom here is about that way, 99 in July! She doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything - the sisters used to take her for drives and just get her out - now all she wants to do is sit in a chair all day long except when she needs to potty. PTL that she is still able to do that! Great photos of past times and the SD-45!

DAVE - That first photo you just posted is a real keeper! The second is just a "BUFF" (Big Ugly Fat Fuc&%r)

CHET - I'm glad that I don't have to clean the hull of that behemoth (is that a word). Going to send your pic to my son who lives on a 36' sailboat when he is in town for movie/tv shoots.

GREG - nice post - like the photo! and post; your posts always interesting to read. I got you beat on the clutter and mess; I'm sitting here looking at last years tax papers still not put away!

Howdy.

Patrick ... Happy Birthday.

We were in Nashville early this week. I told you about eye surgery, and I appreciate your kind words of encouragement. The surgery is postponed until early March. This is because I changed my mind at last minute regarding type of replacement lenses . Now I will get the best available lenses called Toric . These will greatly improve the odds for my eyes becoming 20/20 while correcting astigmatism and nearsightedness. I pay extra because insurance plans don’t cover added cost of getting Toric lenses.

have a good day

Chet - The problem is the other end, and it will not be denied. I tried inserting a cork, once, and... Remember that toilet photo from several days ago,

Patrick - Happy Goo-goo!

Afternoon All,

The flooring guys are still here. They expect to get the upstairs flooring complete today then tomorrow the upstairs baseboards and the entire downstairs bedroom. MOH is thinking about moving her sewing room to the downstairs bedroom (grandkids room) and they would have the old sewing room. I'm not looking forward to the change but now is the time to do it. The downstairs bedroom is slightly larger. The flooring looks really nice and no additional sub floor damage has been found. If she changes then I will have another room to paint (she decided not to paint it before) but at least the trim is done.

Jim- Nice job on the AC units. Interesting CAT train.

Joe- Sorry to hear about the MIL issues. Nice RDG photos.

Patrick- Happy Birthday.

Willie- Nice looking projects.

Chet- Nice photos. Looks like rush hour on the road.

Dave- Nice photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Boris: Since I been in Re-Hab facilities several times to get stronger and healthier take your MIL to a re-hab center for a tour that has Nursing Home care. I'm positive once she sees the people in the hallways sleeping wheel chairs covered with a banket, residents trying to eat and unable to do what we take for granted...she may start on the road to recovery.

Greg: She simply does not want to walk again. There is no physical reason why she can't, except this phantom pain she has used to avoid doing anything she didn't want to do for all of her life. She either has dementia, or her scheming is going to put her somewhere she really won't want to be.
It's been a frustrating five years dealing with her and her quirks.

PRSL RDC 8-15-70 OCNJ.jpg

PRSL Ocean City NJ

Crusader at West Trenton.jpg

RDG Crusader at West Trenton,NJ
PRR 4872 at Wilmington Shop in 1955.jpg

Portrait of 4872 in 1955

Happy Birthday Patrick.

Sherrel I have to say Daves picture is more exciting due to it's going somewhere on some track. Yours unfortunately is a dead end.

Pack up tonight for setup tomorrow for the show this weekend. It'll be one of the largest the club has done.

She simply does not want to walk again. There is no physical reason why she can't, except this phantom pain she has used to avoid doing anything she didn't want to do for all of her life. She either has dementia, or her scheming is going to put her somewhere she really won't want to be.
I dun'no mate, but it sounds to me if she's trying now, to tell nature to get on with it.

Greg: She simply does not want to walk again. There is no physical reason why she can't, except this phantom pain she has used to avoid doing anything she didn't want to do for all of her life. She either has dementia, or her scheming is going to put her somewhere she really won't want to be.

View attachment 44119
PRSL Ocean City NJ

View attachment 44120
RDG Crusader at West Trenton,NJ
View attachment 44122
Portrait of 4872 in 1955
Boris: Do you know what facility the picture of the GG1 4872 was taken at? Thanks

It hit 87 as predicted. Tomorrow may get up to 70. Race day looks good-68 to 71 partly cloudy but some showers nearby.

Happy Birthday to those enjoying the day. My CRS is in full swing.
Hope all are dry and warm. GOODNIGHT AND PLEASANT DREAMS.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back