Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening Gentlemen
Tomorrow we (our local neighborhood bunco group) hop the Amtrak #6 for our annual trip from Colfax, CA over Donner Pass to Reno. Last year the snow was so deep we had to wait for the track to be plowed coming and going. Coming back last year our car was stuck in a tunnel for 2.5 hrs while the plow was doing its work. Luckily we all had our flasks with our preferred beverages. There has been no snow for the last 3 weeks so we don't expect any plow delays this year but the flasks will be full just in case. I recreated the scene from last year with a couple of my Amtrak cars but didn't have any time for snow......Our group enjoyed it. We were stuck about 20' inside the portal.
View attachment 44072
Dave - have a good safe trip. I know you'll have fun. Take some good photos to share with us!

Ray - That's not a bad looking car there. With the engine change from a six banger it should move well.
A bit late replying to this.
The base model had the 250 c.i. 6 cyl. The V8 options were the 302 c.i. Windsor and 351 c.i. Cleveland. By the time that model got into racing mode, Radial tires and wider rims were allowed at Bathurst. The models before that, the Falcon XY GTHO Phase 3, by the rules of the time, raced on "skinny's". They were also all 4 door bodies. The 'shaker' was their defining feature.
1581487145529.png

Morning all,

Snow starting to accumulate this morning. Wife and I both left early as roads are still good, but expected to deteriorate and be better by noon. Then we hit the deep freeze overnight with a low of 12*. Looks like I'll get some train time this weekend as I have Monday off for President's Day and all the grand kids are supposed to be in school. Hopefully my MTS order will be in my hands before then.

Not much else going on yet today.

Trade with you TERRY! We are at 32 this morning with a 67 high expected. I thought that must be wrong, so I checked a few other stations around me and they were showing 33 and 34 -- it gets warmer going towards the town which is located a few hundred feet below me. It is showing 37/38 down there.

Looked like Patrick was getting buried with snow and his post confirmed it. Stay warm, Patrick!

Almost have room to get the car back into the garage ... worked on a project yesterday with the neighbor and need another hour this morning to finish that little job. Then I will be able to shift things around and get my shop area back and start working on my paint booth - I got one of those fans from Mike to install in it. Only other things to do is take the recycle stuff to the scrap yard - thought about take\ing the wire along, but think I will hold out and see if I can put it on the local swap site around here.

Bank called me yesterday just before noon - it seems someone was trying to use one of my credit cards and they picked up on it right away. Now I have to wait for a new card - I hate thieves more than politicians - wait, they are the same!

Tom, is that LocProgammer easy to use? I'm going to buy one next week from Streamlined Backshop. Hoping it's as easy to use as what I've read about!

I'm curious also. When my LHS closed, the owner sold me his Locprogrammer, a decoder tested and gave me his ESU dealer manual . I've only had it out of the box once, and I've got several ESU Loksound blank decoders......one of these days.

Good Morning All. 40° and very light rain. Another .8" fell in the last 24 hours. Not enough to cause any issues with the septic system. Yesterday's high temperature officially was 40.5° and the low was 39.7°, not a very wide range. More of the same today, just a little warmer, maybe 50°, rain tapering off around sunset. Fluffy the cat looks really funny this morning, obviously didn't stay in the barn last night. Wife's birthday today, but she forgot to sign off today and has to work. It's the big 70.

Those breakfast burritos were excellent yesterday, Flo. I'll take a couple more again today, this time with sausage instead of bacon.

Thanks a whole lot for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posting; Bob, Patrick, Karl, James, Justin, Chet, Sherrel, Chad, Jerome, Jim, Bill, Mikey, Curt, Tom, Phil.

I did manage to wade out to the train shed for a while yesterday. I got the loading/parking area on the north side of Majestic done. A tiny bit of tidying up is still needed.
02-12-20 005.JPG

Over on the workbench, work proceeded on the grain elevator. The easy part was installing the framework for the safety cages and the ladders.
02-12-20 001.JPG

The safety cages are a bit more time consuming. Here's the lowest section completed, I think!
02-12-20 002.JPG

The instructions call for seven of those vertical bars, I only do five since my fingers aren't small enough to any more. I still think that they are adequate. This happens to be the third one of these that I have built, so I know. OSHA doesn't exist on my layout yet, although I follow all recommended safety practices during construction. Forty years of constant training didn't go away just because I stepped away from gainful employment.

Bob - Thoughts and prayers for your sister.
Joe - I don't usually mind the trip to the train shed regardless of the weather. It's only four steps up and down which are easier to navigate than a whole flight to the basement. During the summer I can watch the bikini-clad young ladies in my pool from the workbench; yeah! In my mind!:confused:
Sherrel - I did check out the "for Sale" thread. If it had come up three years ago, I would have jumped on the 18 gauge wire even though it is solid. Just don't need it any more.
Mikey - Upstairs garage???? Do you live on a hill? Dresser looks good.
I do like the laser-cut kits, I have over three dozen of them. All smaller type structures. I do not have any of the FSM or South River larger ones because they just don't fit my locale. Found several appropriate trucks in the vehicle stash for Majestic Hardware, including a flat bed truck that I will add some feed sacks to. Dogs in pickup trucks are quite common around here, and will be included.
Tom -
Got a brown box from Scale trains today
Going to tell us what's in it?
Dave - Sounds like a fun trip coming up.

Everybody have a great day.

Trade with you TERRY! We are at 32 this morning with a 67 high expected. I thought that must be wrong, so I checked a few other stations around me and they were showing 33 and 34 -- it gets warmer going towards the town which is located a few hundred feet below me. It is showing 37/38 down there.

Looked like Patrick was getting buried with snow and his post confirmed it. Stay warm, Patrick!

Almost have room to get the car back into the garage ... worked on a project yesterday with the neighbor and need another hour this morning to finish that little job. Then I will be able to shift things around and get my shop area back and start working on my paint booth - I got one of those fans from Mike to install in it. Only other things to do is take the recycle stuff to the scrap yard - thought about take\ing the wire along, but think I will hold out and see if I can put it on the local swap site around here.

Bank called me yesterday just before noon - it seems someone was trying to use one of my credit cards and they picked up on it right away. Now I have to wait for a new card - I hate thieves more than politicians - wait, they are the same!

Only supposed to get a couple of inches on grassy surfaces as the temp is still above freezing...until tonight.

Good Morning....sunny with now only 2-4 inches of snow by morning and then the coldest temperatures of the season.

Scale Train DCC Owners: Do the Scale Train DCC require any special programs to change CV's or with a Digitrax system change the CV's? I have a Digitrax PR-4 to do programing.

Toot and Chet: I was a real car nut in my late teens and early 20's, but funds were limited as well as a place to work on vehicles. My prize catch was a 1934 Chevy pickup truck with 51k original miles and I was the only the third owner. The guy I purchased the truck from was of course the second owner and he only had the truck a few months. I paid $500 for the truck. Top speed barely 40 mph and engine parts available at most larger Chevy dealers since the straight six was a popular engine.

My favorite cars were two Opel GT's, the mini Vettes. 1969 and 1970 models both purchased new.

Today, my wife's' 2002 Mitsubishi Spyder with less than 30k and stored winters is a fun car to drive. Of course the Mrs. will not let met drive it and I have been behind the wheel for two years.

Finished three more ore cars yesterday and today I'll DullCote the two cars I finished previously. I'm enjoying doing the decals and applied them over the factory finish of the cars and we'll see what the results are when I lightly apply the DullCote and see if the decals stay in the same condition as they were when installed.

Willie: Nice work on the grain ladders and safety cages. I don't miss OSHA inspections or the yearly classroom training that we were to provide.

Chet: That 1953 Studebaker is a classic car and I like the lines and its overall timeless styling. It sounds like real overhaul and taking a 1953 vehicle beyond today's custom standards, outstanding project. I like Fantom Works and the projects they had completed. Dan insists that everything be done perfectly.

1581523471463.png

Time to get going.....later.

Greg

#########################

1581523551318.png

My GT's were Green and the other Day-glow Orange.-Greg

At the risk of getting political, the only difference between Republicans and Democrats is that Democrats want to take your money while Republicans want to keep the money they've already taken.

Good morning. Overcast with the temps in the mid 20's right now.

Sherrel - I also like the '55 President. Most of the body panels are the same or very similar but I do prefer the lack of chrome on the 53. Ray, I will agree that the 53 was probably at the top of the styling for the period. Those Falcons were pretty hot cars back in the day.

Joe - Nice shot of the RDC's. I am a fan of them also.

truckdad - Good luck on the trip to Reno. We get there a few time a year for bowling tournaments. Would not want to have to go over the pass there in the winter. I can remember the TV show they had with towing companies and the wrecks on the pass. We head to Reno in the summer months, but avoid going over the border onto the land of fruit and nuts at all costs.

Willie - Nice work on the scenery. You can keep the fine details on the grain elevator. The old eyeballs aren't up to work like that.

Greg - I had thought of contacting FamtonWorks about the build but I am sure that I could probably buy a condo on the beach for what they would want. Sure miss that show.

Some F units

XCBQ9993-620429 Morning Zephyr Westmont, IL.jpg

BO94JCT.jpg

WEB-07.31.04-Pennsylvania-5809-passenger-train-at-Dennison-Ohio.jpg

6228.1138806000 (2).jpg
RaceABBAA436D.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

The dry wall and ceiling repair is complete (except painting) in the train room and flooring starts tomorrow.

Bob- I missed your post about your sister and I hope she recovers quickly.

Justin- That's funny. Obviously the parents are wrong.

Dave- Enjoy your trip.

Tom- Nice collection of locos.

Chet- Great pictures.

Willie- Nice looking business.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Mikey - Upstairs garage???? Do you live on a hill? Dresser looks good.
I do like the laser-cut kits, I have over three dozen of them. All smaller type structures. I do not have any of the FSM or South River larger ones because they just don't fit my locale. Found several appropriate trucks in the vehicle stash for Majestic Hardware, including a flat bed truck that I will add some feed sacks to. Dogs in pickup trucks are quite common around here, and will be included.

Willie-Two car garage on concrete drive attached to a one level handicapped accessible two bath, three bed room home. Basement is 3/4 full with a full bath, 18' x 28' train room leading to two car garage and a wood shop on a weed and gravel drive on a hill.
I have only done a few laser cut kits I have done a few scratch built structures and several kit bashed buildings. I still have several plastic kits built over the last 25 years and ready to go on the layout when I get to that point of adding scenery.
Sounds like your vehicle plan will make the Majestic a photogenic scene. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Last edited:
Willie-Two car garage on concrete drive attached to a one level handicapped accessible two bath, three bed room home. Basement is 3/4 full with a full bath, 18' x 28' train room leading to two car garage and a wood shop on a weed and gravel drive on a hill.
I have only done a few laser cut kits I have done a few scratch built structures and several kit bashed buildings. I still have several plastic kits built over the last 25 years and ready to go on the layout when I get to that point of adding scenery.
Sounds like your vehicle plan will make the Majestic a photogenic scene. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Definitely need a toilet in the basement; something about going down the stairs. :/

Howdy everyone!

I appreciate all the likes on my stuff! :)

Flo - I'll have a hot roast beef sandwich with home fries - put gravy all over it, a large cole slaw, coffee
and slice of raisin pie with whipped cream on top.

Mikey - I hope your house is still above water. Drains backing up, unwanted ponds and more rain on the way . . . WOW! :oops: Do you have a boat? Good job on the dresser, but does the wife like it? :oops:;) I despise stripping furniture, but really like staining and finishing - go figure :rolleyes:

Johnny - thanks for the comments.

Chet - thanks for liking the market! It was fun to model an old, local market, but I think mine looks
better ;):)nice F-photos!

Tom - WOW - six porches! Good for you! Gotta love it.

Willie - The elevator is looking good! I'm about 30% done with my grain & farm supply. I have all six bins built
and the vertical grain dryer is almost done, but it really doesn't look like a grain facility until the elevator is up
and the piping connected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With me finishing the A/C unit on Hagerty's Market, I hit the wall with structure building. That makes four in
a row. I needed a change of pace, so I placed them close to where they will stay and sketched in the highway
that goes across the new table. State highway Rt. 8 travels north/south and is Main St. through town. There's
an intersection with another major highway, Rt. 422 that will have a traffic light.
I started on a grade crossing and there are five crossings on my layout, so I'm relearning on this first
one and the other four should go smoothly without a hitch.
Standing back and taking in the big picture, it's looking like a real layout. I have two more major structures to
begin and build, the truck/rail coal transfer facility and a three store retail building. Thorn Creek and the
Farm Supply warehouse will be in the mix, as are two homes. Then the rest is all scenery and details.
That should keep me busy for the next 2 or 3 years ;):)

Have a good rest of the day.
Jim

Here a few photos . . .
this 1st photo is the A/C unit on Hagerty's Market
the 2nd is a view of the four structures in place
the 3rd is the CAT train

5pKgQQe.jpg

QhAfHzT.jpg

xTZ7xwN.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.