Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!

Not much going on here today, just w*rk.

IBKen, glad to hear you can breath easy, more cabins will come your way.

Electric fire truck??? Seems like a bad idea, you know how electricity and water really don't get along.:rolleyes: The results can be quite shocking!
L8ter

Morning all,

Got on early today. Not much going on. I have to go to the waste water plant in a few minutes to fix a wiring issue with one of the computers. Seems they unplugged a bunch of network cords and I gotta go figure out what they removed and get it back in place....

Otherwise, I get the stitches out today from the CT surgery. That will be nice.

bnsf971: Thanks for sharing that video. I have several of Bob Rivers Twisted Christmas CD's that I really love.

Good Morning Everyone. 40° and overcast. The rain finally hit around noon yesterday and persisted all afternoon. It returns tonight with 100% chance all of the way through noon Wednesday. There was .85" in the gauge when I emptied it just before sunset. The best laid plans yesterday fell apart early on. While working on a simple plumbing issue, I broke a coupling on a drain pipe and a 30 minute job became a three hour job. Fortunately I had all that I needed for the repairs here and didn't have to add a trip to the hardware store to complete the job. By then it was raining quite hard and the path to the train shed was under water. Normally not an issue but one of my rain boots had a hole in it and I hadn't replaced them yet. So I ended up doing laundry to test the repaired drain pipe.

How about a couple of "full house" breakfast burritos this morning Flo. A good helping of hot salsa for dipping as well.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the progress yesterday; Joe, James, Sherrel, Chad, Justin, Patrick, Jerome, Jim, Greg, Chet, Curt, Tom, Ken, Bill.

One downside of having the train shed 150' away from the house is accessibility during inclement weather. The yard floods for a few hours after any heavy rain before it all runs off. Yesterday was a good example. I did get about an hour out there before I headed in as a precaution. Besides, my wife drove up and I wanted to touch base on some stuff. Tomorrow is her 70th birthday. I made some minor progress on the grain bin and the elevator but took no pictures yet.
Let's see what I can pull from the archives. First is a shot of the Miracle Chair Co. "If it works, it's a miracle" is their slogan. It's one of those Bar Mills "starter" kits that's less detailed than their more expensive ones.
03-06-19 011.JPG

Behind it is F. Bruckner Woodworking, another laser cut kit from JL Innovative.
Across the road is Amos Cutter General Store, another Bar Mills kit.
03-06-19 014.JPG

Behind it is the back corner of LaBosky's Motorcycle Repair. That's also a JL Innovative kit.

Patrick - That's good news about the shoulder, hopefully the CT results will also be positive.
Greg - I do plan on weathering the grain silo as well as the surrounding structures. Thanks for the additional comment on the Majestic Hardware part of the scene. Finishing the gravel area around the base and adding figures and vehicles as well as a few other details will make this scene one of several focal points of the layout.
Mikey -
Willie- Your project progress is inspiring. I always seem to have interruptions, especially while I am waiting for glue to dry.
I am anxiously awaiting the completion of Majestic Hardware, Do you have any idea what type vehicles you will have in the scene?
I have to check out the vehicle stash, but I think that I still have a couple of 60's era pickup trucks that need some weathering. Farmers didn't buy new ones as often as city dwellers.
Good luck with the septic tank woes. I just barely dodged issues yesterday but will most likely have them overnight tonight. It won't back up into the house, but I'll need to pump it out due to the water seepage through the lateral lines.
Jim - Thanks. You're doing a great job on Hagerty's. The A/C unit is a work of art. Don't mind if I copy it in the future. I saved it in my "Inspiration" folder.
Sherrel - Like the porches as well.

Everybody have a great day

Good morning, America. Getting ready for the big snow and cold blast that is coming Wednesday. Supposed to get the coldest temps so far this year at -5 degrees and up to 6 inches of snow. Going to see my sister this morning, she went to the ER last night and they kept her, might be in for 2-3 days. Hope they get things under control. Everybody have a great day, later.

Just another rainy, foggy day in Jersey. Good morning. y'all!

Willie: Nice modeling, as usual. I don't have to go out of the house to access my layout, but sometimes, during inclimate weather, I find navigating the stairs to the basement to be difficult.

PRR 4939 E2b motors on pit at Potomac Yard.jpg

Pair of E2b motors on the pit at Potomac Yard, with P5 power in the background. Both classes disappeared when the E44/E44a came on line.

Good Morning from the West! Supposed to reach my favorite temp of 69 today ... and the sky is vry,vry clear according to Elmer F.
Hi there FLO ... I'll have a garbage omelet this morning with a double handful of bacon. Tell MEL to leave the sink out of this one, please!

Willie - Wishing Arlene a very Happy Birthday tomorrow. I like the structures you have been showing off.
Good luck to both you and Mikey with the drainage problems caused by the rain -- I've been out west so long now that I have forgotten what one of those downpours is like. Believe it: we had a drizzle most all day Sunday here which resulted in about a quarter-inch total.

JOE - Out here I think they would run out of juice before they get to the fire with the way the traffic is.
BTW - You have been showing out with the photos lately - Your latest sure looks like they used some Alco FA bodies to build; quite a pair of handsome looking locos.

Brokedown and ordered a backplate for the Heatilator yesterday. It's coming from Montana - a place called Mountain View Hearth products. Everyone around here seems to not stock what I need and for the same price, I could get a generic sheet and cut it, maybe without breaking - or pay about the same cost again for them to cut it. I did not have to pay sales tax, so the savings there covered half of the shipping. Now, All I have to do is see if it gets here in one piece. I am not placing bets on a safe arrival!

GREG -- Your mine photo is a keeper! Nice looking build.

Did any of you check the "For Sale" thread? I have a bunch of wire - Too High Priced or Not the type needed?

looks like they used some Alco FA bodies to build; quite a pair of handsome looking locos.

Sherrel: Used to pass under the NEC tracks four times per day, walking to and from school. Used to see a lot of cool stuff passing by. Coming home for lunch corresponded with the Southward Florida Special", Walking back after lunch, corresponded with the Northward "Miamian", and it's Heavyweight Pullman consist. Also saw a lot of cool locomotives, including run through RF&P and SAL Diesels.

The E2bs were Alco-GE Experimentals, the other set built by Baldwin -Westinghouse, looked like Baldwin Sharks. Believe it was the GEs that could multiple with P5 Box cabs. Once in a while, you would see a train headed by the experimentals being dragged in with diesels after a road failure.

Good Morning....sunny and seasonal temperatures with 3-5 inches of snow forecasted for Thursday into Friday. Cold temperatures as well.

Productive day yesterday in the layout room. I installed the new decals (ordered two sizes of the decals) on two different cars. One was a SOO Line ore car that I patched and added the new, smaller decals, and the other car was an undecorated Taconite car and I installed the larger decals. The SOO on the ore car was struck using a black stripe decal. I painted the truck frames Grimy Black and the wheel sets Rail Brown. I painted the outer surfaces of the wheels as well as the axle and interwheel surfaces which makes for a better looking model.

On the couplers I used a Micro-brush and used Rail Brown and the result is a rusty, good looking coupler and still operates properly. The Taconite car received long shank Kadees while the ore car Whisker couplers were installed in the coupler boxes.

Next will be a light coat of DullCote to seal the decals.

The ore car will receive a Chooch ore load that I'll cover with loose Woodland's ore attached with Scenic Cement. I don't plan on doing any thing but some light weathering, perhaps a light spray of grime and dirt along the car bottoms..

I'll post some photos of the two cars.

Back to the layout later after lunch and maybe doing another Taconite car. The two cars took me two hours from start to finish.

I do want to install a LED lamp post in the junk yard for more illumination of the area.

Bye...............

Greg

############################

Good morning, America. Getting ready for the big snow and cold blast that is coming Wednesday. Supposed to get the coldest temps so far this year at -5 degrees and up to 6 inches of snow. Going to see my sister this morning, she went to the ER last night and they kept her, might be in for 2-3 days. Hope they get things under control. Everybody have a great day, later.
Best wishes for your sister.

Our own weather forecast is pretty bland: occasional flurries and highs in the 30s. Weird, I'm north of you, aren't I? We had maybe 3" on Sunday afternoon and evening, but the accumulation is all gone, already.

Last edited:
Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my stuff! :)

Flo - I didn't make it in here for breakfast, so I'll have a fried bologna sandwich, a bowl of vegetable beef soup,
a small side salad with thousand Island dressing and coffee.

Curt - thanks for the comment on the market and Wabco photos

Justin - I like your new avatar. It's good that you got the GP40 up and running. Ahh . . . so that's what C&O did
with their cinders.

Mikey - thanks for the favorable comment on the refrigeration unit and the turntable. I've been in Wabco a
handfull of times. With a lot of the old buildings built in the late 1800's, it's a very interesting, neat place.
George Westinghouse liked architecture and it was prevalent in his buildings. ↓ Look at the photos down below ↓

Sherrel - Thanks for the SD40-2's! My gas grille and chair will fit right in on those porches ;):)
Here's a couple of C-46 RV's for you . . . beautiful aircraft!
aG5EW5c.jpg

7UeOciP.jpg

Willie - the Cutter store is a lot like two in my area. I live midway between two Amish communities and one store
caters to them and the other store owner is into antique, vintage anything from old-time candy to wine barrels. He
even makes birch beer and 25 flavors of ice cream.
Actually the roof unit on the market is the refrigeration condenser for the freezers and I will take the blame for
that, as I didn't properly describe it. I did however, build a roof A/C unit this morning. The glue and paint is drying
and will post some photos later today.

Bob - All the best for your sister.

Here's a pair of photos related to the WABCO turntable I posted yesterday (post #267)

This first one is the same building, 108 years later in 2013. But the turntable is gone.
The second photo is Wabco's old office building. Like I told Mikey above, George Westinghouse incorporated
style in all of his buildings. They don't make them like this anymore.

YBqKSwK.jpg

ZE7F2wc.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back