Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, America. It's 32 degrees and cloudy in Forgotonnia. Looking outside it seems to be a very dreary start to the day. Well, at least it isn't below zero!

This U-pack that's been mentioned; do they drop off a container or a truck trailer? Our driveway is only about 20 feet long at best so it would have to be short.

Bob - they have 7'w x 8'h x 6'd containers - 305 cu.ft. and they have 28' pups.
the containers are brought on a 40' flatbed with a piggyback forklift, which can be parked on the road to unload/load.
The 28' pup can be placed almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Good morning.

B Bob .... Thanks for encouragement about my eye surgery. Regarding the size of my layout, it is 64’ long with widths varying between 10’ and 16’.

Dave and Sherrel. ... regarding Sherrel once being a truck driver. For what it is worth , I used to drive city transit buses . It was a long time ago.

Have a good day

Good Morning All. 51³ and cloudy. The 100% chance of rain overnight didn't happen. We'll see what the rest of the day brings. Chances of precipitation vary from between 75% and 90% over the next four days according to the weather geeks. Nothing on the radar anywhere close right now. My garden finally dried out enough that I planted about 150 onion plants yesterday. I am a little late this season but I chose not to "mud them in" this year. Surprisingly I do not suffer from the dreaded "onion thighs" this morning.

I am a bit late posting this morning because this website went down while I was posting pictures so I paused and did other things. I have brought this up numerous times over the last few years and I am continually told that it is my ISP. It isn't my ISP. All other websites work fine and my ISP says it is this site. Eventually I will get tired of the BS and leave.

Eggs Benedict this morning Flo. A tall glass of OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the project progress yesterday; Joe, Garry, Bill, Alan, Sherrel, Karl, Chet, Jerome, Johnny, Phil, Justin, Curt, Jim, Bob, Tom. It's coming along nicely.

Progress in the train shed yesterday was made mostly at the workbench. I worked on these two kits.
02-09-20 005.JPG

I am working simultaneously on them. As glue dries on one, I switch over to the other one for a while.
I originally made the grain elevator 60' tall, but it wasn't tall enough for what I had in mind, so I made it the full 90' tall.
02-08-20 004.JPG

That proved to be too tall, so I removed two sections to come up with a final 70'.
Meanwhile I started assembling the grain bin sections.
02-09-20 001.JPG

02-09-20 003.JPG

Joe - Thanks. I don't particularly mind doing ballast, Switches are a bit of a hassle, but all of them worked the next day which I consider successful. If I lived closer, I'd come by to help you do yours.
Sherrel - I didn't know that your decaling services were used by the 1:1 railroads.
Alan - Looks like an extensive project. I'll follow along wherever you post it.
Johnny - What a surprise seeing you in here on a Saturday.
Curt - I do glue the ballast through turnouts. Otherwise it would disappear when I vacuum. I just go slowly and apply both ballast and glue sparingly. This time around none of the turnouts stuck, although I have a stick-rate of about 10%.
Bob - A buddy of mine moved to another state about ten years ago, and rented a U-Haul truck and hired a local moving company to load it for him. They sent a crew of four young guys and they had the 28" truck loaded in four hours. He planned to hire a different crew at his new location to unload it. He did have to pack a lot of stuff ahead of time, but I think that U-Haul supplied the boxes, at a cost.
Ray - I read about those showers yesterday. Hope that they help some more.

Today is National Pizza Day. I once had lunch with a salesman from Pennsylvania who ate his with a knife and fork!o_O Same guy also ate his fried chicken with a knife and fork.
Everybody have a great Sunday.

Since Mikey asked I'm posting periodic photos of the 1941 COSF project. I mentioned last week I'd found the last car I needed for the train, and the trucks for same, so its time to start painting. Here are the before photos:
Alan- The pics are going to allow us to follow you as you put this train together.
The idea of a separate thread sounds good to me, just hope I am not the only one commenting about your progress.

Morning troops = saying some 80% chance of moisture, but I am not holding my breath.
Estimating a high of 59 today - what the hell happened to those 70's we were supposed to get?
Good day, Flo - A bowl of oatmeal, some sourdough toast, and jam/jelly this morning, please.

Sorry about the "tie-up", Willie. Never had a problem out here except occasional glitches from the local provider which affects everything. Maybe you could shift your posting time if it happens at the same time during the day? Those grain bins look interesting - the way they come in pieces.

TOOT - nice to hear that some relief is coming your way!

BBoB - I certainly do not envy your task ahead, but I am interested to hear what you decide - and the pitfalls?

ALAN - I was holding off on commenting -- but here is my 3 cents! Create a thread, but also post a photo in The Coffee Shop now and then to remind us to check your thread?

I'm being "paged" by the conductor -- back in a while.

Good Morning Everyone.....snow.

Willie: There's several large corn processing companies on the way to our cabin. Several years ago we watched them building silos (grain elevator) like yours and I was surprised to see them build the silos starting with the top sections and adding the sides as they jacked up the pieces. The jacks were complicated scaffolding. The scaffolding was removed after the silos were completed.

Some farmers are picking corn even in February and taking the corn to the processing companies to grind after drying the kernels.

BBob: Digitrax returned the answer my email and the answer is short and sweet...

I asked the Help Desk at Digitrax about keeping DCC locomotives on live tracks and if the decoders produce any heat and here's my answer.....

"It will not shorten their live.
Yes, decoders generate heat."
Please note that all tickets are Administratively Closed after a response is made. If further communication is required, please reopen the ticket instead of creating a new one.

I'm going to just keep my locomotives on "live" tracks and not worry about a fried decoder.

No one advised about me about if I should purchase the Athearn Canadian National GP9 locomotive...I just like its color scheme and I had a F3 Canadian National locomotive when first getting into HO and it had a rubber band drive. Memories.

I when to the cabin yesterday before the snow and a Winter Storm Warning for the area. All was well. We stopped at a rustic log cabin type bar and grill in the area and had a very good pizza and met a friend of ours. Lots of deer tracks in the snow around the cabin. Likely for having my four wheel drive to get us in the cabin. This is the third trip to the cabin (second trip I drove just just to the cabin and Cathy drove us home) since my release from the Rehab Center and I drove both ways for the first time.

That's all for now...

Greg

##########################

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that Athearn has a new series of locomotives in their line up called #Ready2Rust. As Athearn said...."We’ve faded the body and lettering colors, added patches, applied new reporting marks and the like." I checked their website and many of the models are scheduled for delivery at a later date and not on sale as of today. They look interesting.

That MR&T gondola I ordered from Kalmbach arrive the other day and its from Accurail and is in simple kit form. The details are great, but I'll change the couples to Kadees and the plastic wheels to metal wheel sets.

Greg

Good morning. Started off at 9 degrees thismorning with clear skies (finally). The sun is out now and I hope that it will melt the inch or so of snow on the car. Got the driveway plowed yesterday and then a quick snow passed.

Been quite busy doing all sorts of honey do's and other projects. Unfortunately, non of them had anything to do with trains. Hope tovisit the train room this afternoon.

Saw all sorts of F unit photos. Probably my favorite EMD locomotives.

Joe - Like that pike size PC train. Quite similar to what I run if an RDC isn't available. The Shark could use a bath. Like the photo of all of the GG-1's.

Alan - Quite the stash of passenger cars. Time to get the air brush going. Nice diesel collection.

Beady - Quite the collection of movies you have there. No time for trains if you're going to go on a watching binge. Have my son figuring out how I can watch some old TV series on YouTube on the big TV in the living room.

Curt - When we were living in Florida, we had a good friend who had a chocolate skunk for a pet. Quite a friendly guy. Liked to come over and sit in my lap when we were visiting.

Ray - It is good to hear that the recent rains have helped with the fires. Saw some video of flooding.

Jim - We had a couple of dogs that liked to chase skunks, but always ended up on the losing end.

Garry - Nice photo of the steamer.

Willie - Like those grain bins. We had some on the place when I was growing up. Wanted to put some on my layout but ran out of room

Time for lunch.

ff9bb4d41cc4181b4a79db20772ba8a9.jpg

Later

Good afternoon, America. Got a second call this morning from a mover and they dropped the price $300. Now if they would drop the price another $1000, I'd yell "You've got a deal!" And I would do that without even asking the wife! Talk about living on the edge! :eek:

If it was totally my call, I would hire this outfit today! I'm 65 and still in pretty good shape since getting my elbow operated on. But, I'm getting older by the minute, if you know what I mean.:) Plus, you have to round up help, which wouldn't be that big of a problem here, but then we have to have help over 500 miles away. I'll have to see how much fast talking I can do. One thing that I am keeping in the back of my mind is the old saying, "A happy wife makes a happy life!" Wish me luck!

Jim- The 40' trailer is what worries me. We live down a dead end street with two sharp turns. Not at all user friendly for a semi.

Garry- That is a huge layout! If I use the third bedroom, I'll have a room about 10x13. Kind of up in the air whether I get to use a bedroom or if I get to build a train shed, something on the order of Willie.

Willie- That grain bin looks familiar, only it has has bigger pieces than mine did!

Sherrel- I'll give updates on our adventure. Just hope we survive it!

Chet- I like the sign, there are a couple of tracks around here where that would definitely apply!

Later!

Afternoon All,

Spent the day working around the house cleaning out the sewing room and the downstairs bedroom. After that I changed out the toggles and outlets in both rooms (that project is now complete). Tomorrow we're painting the downstairs bedroom. The sewing room needs painting but it will be panted after the contractors are done.

Sherrel- They're wood. I was changing the outlets and toggles because MOH decided she wanted them in Ivory color...need I say more?

Bob- It also includes painting ceilings, and rooms. We have about 20 hours patching and painting and probably have around 10 more to go. My daughter has used a PODS container when she moved (same town) and it worked very well for her.

Alan- A lot of nice looking motive power.

Willie- Nice looking projects.

Garry- Holy heck that's a large layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, America. Got a second call this morning from a mover and they dropped the price $300. Now if they would drop the price another $1000, I'd yell "You've got a deal!" And I would do that without even asking the wife! Talk about living on the edge! :eek:

If it was totally my call, I would hire this outfit today! I'm 65 and still in pretty good shape since getting my elbow operated on. But, I'm getting older by the minute, if you know what I mean.:) Plus, you have to round up help, which wouldn't be that big of a problem here, but then we have to have help over 500 miles away. I'll have to see how much fast talking I can do. One thing that I am keeping in the back of my mind is the old saying, "A happy wife makes a happy life!" Wish me luck!

Jim- The 40' trailer is what worries me. We live down a dead end street with two sharp turns. Not at all user friendly for a semi.

Garry- That is a huge layout! If I use the third bedroom, I'll have a room about 10x13. Kind of up in the air whether I get to use a bedroom or if I get to build a train shed, something on the order of Willie.

Willie- That grain bin looks familiar, only it has has bigger pieces than mine did!

Sherrel- I'll give updates on our adventure. Just hope we survive it!

Chet- I like the sign, there are a couple of tracks around here where that would definitely apply!

Later!
Bob, call a temp service, and rent a couple of day laborers. Last time we did that, it cost around $120 for the pair for 8 hours.

Beady - Quite the collection of movies you have there. No time for trains if you're going to go on a watching binge. Have my son figuring out how I can watch some old TV series on YouTube on the big TV in the living room.
I haven't seen several of them. Got to start watching WKRP in Cincinnati (this version has *most* of the original music) and Tour of Duty. The latter is the Australian edition and has *all* of the original music (remember, the show's title theme is the Stone's "Black is Black"); a Region 0 DVD player cost less than the boxed TV series did.

Watching Youtube on TV: EASY! Sign into Youtube, hit the square with an arrow sticking out of one corner, and tell it which device you want to watch on. This assumes you can stream via Firestick, Roku, etc, or have a smart tv. If you don't, you're screwed. (It's odd that I can say screwed, but not f*d. They mean exactly the same thing.)

Last edited:
Watching Youtube on TV: EASY! Sign into Youtube, hit the square with an arrow sticking out of one corner, and tell it which device you want to watch on. This assumes you can stream via Firestick, Roku, etc, or have a smart tv. If you don't, you're screwed. (It's odd that I can say screwed, but not f*d. They mean exactly the same thing.)

It's semantics. One sounds somewhat genteel and the other is a little bit crude.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back